Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Fan Dividers - War Of The Words!

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

What do you think of this episode?

I like it!
40%
I DON'T like it!
60%

Total votes : 20

Postby welshben23 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:05 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Paul B wrote:Saladin K. Patterson, whose magnificent profile includes,

Legal Tender Love and Care
The Wizard and Roz
Love Stinks
Tales from the Crypt
Trophy Girlfriend
Analyzed Kiss

It's a shame they weren't snapped up sooner!

(edit: sorry Moon-Crane, didn't realise you'd already answered)

I quite like 'Love Stinks' and 'Tales from the Crypt' :oops:

I think Eric Zicklin has an even worse CV personally - 'Motor Skills', 'A Day in May', 'Mary Christmas', 'Room Full of Heroes', 'Frasier Has Spokane' and 'Kissing Cosuin' are all cringeworthy and utterly devoid of any humuor.

Yes, I totally agree. Apart from Room Full of Heroes which I find quite watchable.
welshben23

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:25 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Paul B wrote:Saladin K. Patterson, whose magnificent profile includes,

Legal Tender Love and Care
The Wizard and Roz
Love Stinks
Tales from the Crypt
Trophy Girlfriend
Analyzed Kiss

It's a shame they weren't snapped up sooner!

(edit: sorry Moon-Crane, didn't realise you'd already answered)

I quite like 'Love Stinks' and 'Tales from the Crypt' :oops:

I think Eric Zicklin has an even worse CV personally - 'Motor Skills', 'A Day in May', 'Mary Christmas', 'Room Full of Heroes', 'Frasier Has Spokane' and 'Kissing Cosuin' are all cringeworthy and utterly devoid of any humuor.

I don't care for Tales From the Crypt at all. Love Stinks isn't all that bad once you get past Frasier's stupid party.

As for the Zicklin episodes, I like A Day in May, Room Full of Heroes and Frasier Has Spokane. Motor Skills, Kissin' Cousin and Mary Christmas though can all be sent into the great Television Abyss never to be heard from again!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby DHP » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:09 pm

It's fairly average, but entertaining enough. Those were my thoughts when I first saw it, but at that point I hadn't been exposed to the greatness of the early years of the show. Well, it's on tomorrow morning on Channel 4, so I'll be able to view it in a new light...
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Stratman » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:51 am

It's a pity there isn't a ''doesn't deserve its reputation'' poll option... :roll:
Stratman

Postby Seek_Help_from_an_M.D. » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:12 am

I said I like it. I mean, maybe I'm just an idiot, but there isn't really an episode I "Don't like. " It's just that I really don't think its good compared to the other episodes. But I can find something okay in every episode. In my opinion the worst episodes are probably A Day in May and The Wizard and Roz.
Wow, between school and basketball, when am I...going to be able to watch Frasier!!! Oh, don't worry I'll make time.
Seek_Help_from_an_M.D.

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:44 am

This is getting too close to call! 7-8?? :shock: I'm genuinely shocked 7 people 'like' the episode, I really am.

I watched it again the other day (for probably the last time now, I'll skip from now on) and the scene in the kitchen between Freddie and Niles sums up how terrible this episode is. A three minute scene made to feel like 20, with absolutely no humour, drama or pathos anywhere to be seen. It was just a huge waste of time. The other kids dad may well have been the worst ever guest star too. Just awful.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:46 am

This is getting too close to call! 7-8?? I'm genuinely shocked 7 people 'like' the episode, I really am.

It's my favourite ever episode actually! :)

I'm surprised by the poll results too.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:54 am

Beer Necessity wrote:This is getting too close to call! 7-8?? :shock: I'm genuinely shocked 7 people 'like' the episode, I really am.

I watched it again the other day (for probably the last time now, I'll skip from now on) and the scene in the kitchen between Freddie and Niles sums up how terrible this episode is. A three minute scene made to feel like 20, with absolutely no humour, drama or pathos anywhere to be seen. It was just a huge waste of time. The other kids dad may well have been the worst ever guest star too. Just awful.

And the scene between Freddy and Niles in the kitchen is my favorite scene of the episode! I think it's a great moment.

For me, it doesn't get bad until the banquet. And then it DOES get bad! But most of it is just ok.

It's not a great episode certainly but I don't think it's the worst thing to ever happen to Frasier.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:57 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:This is getting too close to call! 7-8?? :shock: I'm genuinely shocked 7 people 'like' the episode, I really am.

And the scene between Freddy and Niles in the kitchen is my favorite scene of the episode! I think it's a great moment.

For me, it doesn't get bad until the banquet. And then it DOES get bad! But most of it is just ok.

It's not a great episode certainly but I don't think it's the worst thing to ever happen to Frasier.

Same here. The only line that I don't like is the horrible 'Spell his ass off!', otherwise it's fine by me.

I remember when I first watched it, expecting a real turd of an episode, and coming away thinking 'That wasn't so bad!'
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:13 pm

i voted don't like, but i don't hate it like many here seem to.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:10 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:And the scene between Freddy and Niles in the kitchen is my favorite scene of the episode! I think it's a great moment.

:shock: What was to like about it? That spelling=boxing parallel was being tortured to death during that conversation, and I can honestly say it's the only time I've seen DHP appear visibly bored while delivering his lines.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:17 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:And the scene between Freddy and Niles in the kitchen is my favorite scene of the episode! I think it's a great moment.

:shock: What was to like about it? That spelling=boxing parallel was being tortured to death during that conversation, and I can honestly say it's the only time I've seen DHP appear visibly bored while delivering his lines.

I thought it was a touching scene. It's really the only time we ever see any type of sentiment between Uncle Niles and his only nephew. Sort of a "bonding" moment as it were.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:23 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I thought it was a touching scene. It's really the only time we ever see any type of sentiment between Uncle Niles and his only nephew. Sort of a "bonding" moment as it were.

But the dialogue was completely ridiculous! This is, like, the middle portion...

Niles: I was a little younger than you. I'd been winning numerous
competitions, but I was obsessed with one thing and one thing
only: the National Championship. The time finally came and
there I was, standing on that stage, waiting for the judge
to say the final word, and suddenly it happened. It all
clicked. All the rules, "i before e", assimilations,
etymologies, they all became one. And then, became nothing.
In that moment, I realized there was no word I couldn't
spell. Competitions didn't matter anymore because I was one
with the higher truth that is spelling.
So when the judge
said that last word, I just walked away.

I think that's actually a pathetic attempt at a Matrix piss-take. Is it supposed to be funny or moving? I can't decide. It sure as hell doesn't work for me, anyway. The dialogue is execrable the whole way through this ep, but that kitchen scene is the low point IMO.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:29 pm

No, the low point is the "Spell his ass off" moment!

I don't know what it is but I find the kitchen scene touching. I agree the dialogue is hokey and contrived but it still works for me.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:56 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:No, the low point is the "Spell his ass off" moment!

I don't know what it is but I find the kitchen scene touching. I agree the dialogue is hokey and contrived but it still works for me.

I'm happy to stand corrected! :D

I know you're not a woman to change your mind too easily Cat, that last post of mine was mainly for the benefit of others who seem to have a hard time remembering just how shit this episode actually is! It actually pained me to look the transcript up! :shock: :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:32 am

Beer Necessity wrote:But the dialogue was completely ridiculous! This is, like, the middle portion...

So when the judge

Oh, my God. Poor DHP, having to deliver that! There's a fine line in Frasier between the writers being genuinely clever and the writers trying too hard to be clever, and the above is a tragic example of the latter!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Pisa32 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:58 pm

The episode is truly terrible, NOT the show's worst (for me that title belongs to Junior Agent) but prbably second or third on the list.

Niles' spelling speech was terrible and cringeworthy, as was the "Spell his ass off" line.
Pisa32

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:23 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:But the dialogue was completely ridiculous! This is, like, the middle portion...

So when the judge

Oh, my God. Poor DHP, having to deliver that! There's a fine line in Frasier between the writers being genuinely clever and the writers trying too hard to be clever, and the above is a tragic example of the latter!

That's exactly how I felt, but as CNR pointed out, worse lines were to come...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:25 pm

Yay! The DON'T like it's have rallied! :D

10-7 as we stand at the moment - perhaps actually posting some of the script on here was the turning point? :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Previous

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes