Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Formula 1 Season

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Formula 1 Season

Postby Davey Boy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:28 pm

I don't know if anyone around here is a fan of F1 but I thought there may be a few fans kicking around and that maybe I should start a dedicated thread, so here it is...

Looking at the two races so far this season I think it will be a tight one. I always thought of Raikonnen as a better driver than Alonso but who was in inferior or less reliable machinery. However seeing Alonso's victory on Sunday made me think that maybe Alonso now has the edge. Lewis Hamilton also looks like a star of the future which is good to see as Button seems to be right in the doldrums right now.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Wezzo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:31 pm

I'm a casual fan. I like Raikkonen best, but I should probably support Jenson Button, who hails from my home town.

I usually watch the highlights each week, but I don't think I could bear a whole race! :D
Wezzo

Postby me123 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:56 am

I'm casual too, and being Scottish I'm supporting Coulthard (and being Scottish, Coulthard will lose :lol: ). I'm also supporting Massa (in Ferrari) and he's a great driver.

No offence to Schumacher, but it's much better now that he's left.
me123

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:23 am

Always prefer Touring Car Championships and Superbikes, but i do keep an eye out for the F1 results. I haven't sat and watched an F1 race for a few years now. i think Jaques Villeneuve won the last race i watched, so it's going back.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Sideshow Meg » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:27 am

Obviously, I'd like Lewis Hamilton to win, and he's doing a very good job so far of making his name known. I do have a soft spot for Jenson Button though.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Rodge » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:14 am

Motor racing, Bike racing, Horse racing & Boat racing, are probably the only sports that do not interest me? Oh and boxing!
Sorry Davey Boy.
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Sideshow Meg » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:51 am

Horse racing is only fun when you're at the races and winning money (Like I did last summer, thank you Frankie DeTorri!)
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Rodge » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:Horse racing is only fun when you're at the races and winning money (Like I did last summer, thank you Frankie DeTorri!)

Are you from the wealthiest family in the South? :wink:
Rodge

Postby Davey Boy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Rob wrote:Motor racing, Bike racing, Horse racing & Boat racing, are probably the only sports that do not interest me? Oh and boxing!
Sorry Davey Boy.

I'm disappointed there Rob, had you penned as a fan of pretty much all sport!

Davey Boy

Postby Rodge » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:26 pm

Davey Boy wrote:
Rob wrote:Motor racing, Bike racing, Horse racing & Boat racing, are probably the only sports that do not interest me? Oh and boxing!
Sorry Davey Boy.

I'm disappointed there Rob, had you penned as a fan of pretty much all sport!

Yeah, sorry, ask me about most other sports and I'm fine but those above just don't turn me on. The only others that I could take or leave is Winter Olympic sports :(
Rodge

Postby me123 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Rob wrote:The only others that I could take or leave is Winter Olympic sports :(

I like the winter olympics: it's great to see the snowboarders fall and the ice dancers fall out!
me123

Re: Formula 1 Season

Postby Agides » Fri May 25, 2007 3:19 am

Davey Boy wrote:I don't know if anyone around here is a fan of F1 but I thought there may be a few fans kicking around and that maybe I should start a dedicated thread, so here it is...

Now you're talking my language!! I'm a huge F1 fan and have been for many years to the extent where the telephone (land-line and mobile) gets unplugged/switched off for both the qualifier and race.

Just been reading on the BBC website about Lewis Hamilton's first practice in Monaco today and am already looking forward to the race. Monaco and Spa are my two favourite circuits because the races are usually unpredictable. Will be happy to discuss/pick apart Saturday qualis and Sunday races for the remainder of the season if you want.
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 25, 2007 3:43 am

Rob wrote:
Sideshow Meg wrote:Horse racing is only fun when you're at the races and winning money (Like I did last summer, thank you Frankie DeTorri!)

Are you from the wealthiest family in the South? :wink:

Her recent radio performance would suggest so! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 25, 2007 3:46 am

Agides wrote:
Davey Boy wrote:I don't know if anyone around here is a fan of F1 but I thought there may be a few fans kicking around and that maybe I should start a dedicated thread, so here it is...

Now you're talking my language!! I'm a huge F1 fan and have been for many years to the extent where the telephone (land-line and mobile) gets unplugged/switched off for both the qualifier and race.

Just been reading on the BBC website about Lewis Hamilton's first practice in Monaco today and am already looking forward to the race. Monaco and Spa are my two favourite circuits because the races are usually unpredictable. Will be happy to discuss/pick apart Saturday qualis and Sunday races for the remainder of the season if you want.

I'd love to have my interest in the sport sparked again. In truth I haven't really followed F1 since Senna, Prost and Mansell were fighting it out hammer and tongs!

I did enjoy Damon Hill's 1996 win though, but Williams were pretty unbeatable that year.

Lewis Hamilton looks like an exciting prospect, I may even tune in for this one. The Monaco Grand Prix was always my favourite.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Agides wrote:

I'd love to have my interest in the sport sparked again. In truth I haven't really followed F1 since Senna, Prost and Mansell were fighting it out hammer and tongs!

I did enjoy Damon Hill's 1996 win though, but Williams were pretty unbeatable that year.

Lewis Hamilton looks like an exciting prospect, I may even tune in for this one. The Monaco Grand Prix was always my favourite.

Although it really pains me to say it (because I admire the man enormously both as a human being and for his dedication/contribution to F1), I am pleased Michael Schumacher chose to retire as it has opened up the competition and made the sport very exciting again for the first time in a long time.

We now have a situation where a (British - yippee!) rookie is leading the Championship, having made the most successful start to a F1 career in the sport's history and eight points separate the top four drivers after four races. Waiting a month for the Spanish GP to watch Hamilton race again seemed like an eternity.

Apart from my obvious support for the British drivers, I think Heidfeld and Kubica are very interesting and I enjoy watching them drive. I hope that they continue to do well this season.

I agree with BN that some of the best racing in F1 was in the late 80s/early 90s when Senna, Prost, Mansell and Lauda were driving and the championships would go down to the wire - it would be great if the sport could return to that (there was a glimmer of something like it briefly last year between Alonso and Schumacher). 2008 is already set to be fascinating with the removal of traction control, some new circuits and a night race and we've still got three quarters of the 2007 calendar left. Great stuff!
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 25, 2007 7:45 pm

Agides wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Agides wrote:

Although it really pains me to say it (because I admire the man enormously both as a human being and for his dedication/contribution to F1), I am pleased Michael Schumacher chose to retire as it has opened up the competition and made the sport very exciting again for the first time in a long time.

We now have a situation where a (British - yippee!) rookie is leading the Championship, having made the most successful start to a F1 career in the sport's history and eight points separate the top four drivers after four races. Waiting a month for the Spanish GP to watch Hamilton race again seemed like an eternity.

Apart from my obvious support for the British drivers, I think Heidfeld and Kubica are very interesting and I enjoy watching them drive. I hope that they continue to do well this season.

I agree with BN that some of the best racing in F1 was in the late 80s/early 90s when Senna, Prost, Mansell and Lauda were driving and the championships would go down to the wire - it would be great if the sport could return to that (there was a glimmer of something like it briefly last year between Alonso and Schumacher). 2008 is already set to be fascinating with the removal of traction control, some new circuits and a night race and we've still got three quarters of the 2007 calendar left. Great stuff!

I agree - 2007 looks the most 'open' for years.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 25, 2007 7:47 pm

I haven't watched a race this season - well, actually for 3 or 4 seasons that i can remember... maybe i'll try the monaco one.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Davey Boy » Fri May 25, 2007 8:12 pm

Agides wrote:

Yeah definately, I'm looking forward to this weekend already. You can always rely on Monaco to be the race which catches drivers out and throws up the unpredictable results :D It will be interesting to see how the rookies handle the circuit, Hamilton has looked pretty immaculate all season but someone like Kovaleinen (sp!!) has looked slightly ragged although he has shown improvement.

I have to say I have been impressed with Coulthard the last few races he has looked electric which is great to see again. I hope he is still at Red Bull next year because with the greater influence Newey will have on the car they could become serious contenders.

Davey Boy

Postby Agides » Fri May 25, 2007 8:54 pm

Davey Boy wrote:II have to say I have been impressed with Coulthard the last few races he has looked electric which is great to see again. I hope he is still at Red Bull next year because with the greater influence Newey will have on the car they could become serious contenders.

How great to able to chat about 2 of my favourite things in the one place (Frasier and F1)!

I would never write off Coulthard at this circuit regardless of his season performance up to a Monaco race. After all, it must be like taking a Sunday drive out for him, seeing as how he lives there! Irrespective of this, he has, as you say, had a really solid couple of races and I think/hope Red Bull will have a good remainder of the season.

Dare we hope there are 2 Brits on the podium this weekend??! Wouldn't that be something? I'm imagining LH in first place and DC 2nd (or vice versa - I'm not fussy!) - any improvement on the 3rd Coulthard took last year. I do hope I don't jinx the race by posting this (she says touching wood very quickly!).

Will meet you back here sometime after quali if you are around then, if not before!
Last edited by Agides on Sat May 26, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agides

Postby Agides » Sat May 26, 2007 12:48 pm

Davey Boy wrote:...someone like Kovaleinen (sp!!) has looked slightly ragged although he has shown improvement.

Kovalainen has actually become more interesting to me since I read that Briatore (allegedly) openly criticised him for only finishing 10th - he started 13th - in his first Australian F1 race(!). Take into account that Fisichella started 6th and finished 5th and it's easy to see who moved up more places.

In Malaysia, Fisi qualified 12th, finished 6th; Kovalainen qualified 11th, finished 8th (he outqualified the more experienced driver).
In Bahrain, Fisi qualified 7th, finished 8th; Kovalainen qualified 11th, finished 9th (gained 2 places as opposed to Fisi dropping one position).
In Spain, Fisi qualified 10th, finished 9th; Kovalainen qualified 8th, finished 7th (outqualified and finished higher placed than the experienced driver).

When you consider the results from both drivers so far this season, Fisichella is by no means the head and shoulders above Kovalainen that his F1 experience should put him. I wonder if Kovalainen will make the more significant points contribution for Renault by the end of this season?

Enjoy the qualifier!
Agides

Postby Agides » Sat May 26, 2007 3:02 pm

Agides wrote:When you consider the results from both drivers so far this season, Fisichella is by no means the head and shoulders above Kovalainen that his F1 experience should put him. I wonder if Kovalainen will make the more significant points contribution for Renault by the end of this season?

:oops: Me and my big mouth! Just like Monaco to prove me wrong - and that it why I love this circuit so much.

Still reflecting on the session and the very harsh (imho) penalty given to Coulthard, so will post in a while.
Agides

Postby Davey Boy » Sat May 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Agides wrote:
Davey Boy wrote:...someone like Kovaleinen (sp!!) has looked slightly ragged although he has shown improvement.

Kovalainen has actually become more interesting to me since I read that Briatore (allegedly) openly criticised him for only finishing 10th - he started 13th - in his first Australian F1 race(!). Take into account that Fisichella started 6th and finished 5th and it's easy to see who moved up more places.

In Malaysia, Fisi qualified 12th, finished 6th; Kovalainen qualified 11th, finished 8th (he outqualified the more experienced driver).
In Bahrain, Fisi qualified 7th, finished 8th; Kovalainen qualified 11th, finished 9th (gained 2 places as opposed to Fisi dropping one position).
In Spain, Fisi qualified 10th, finished 9th; Kovalainen qualified 8th, finished 7th (outqualified and finished higher placed than the experienced driver).

When you consider the results from both drivers so far this season, Fisichella is by no means the head and shoulders above Kovalainen that his F1 experience should put him. I wonder if Kovalainen will make the more significant points contribution for Renault by the end of this season?

Enjoy the qualifier!

It is true that his performances have been solid in what is clearly a middle of the pack car this season and as you say compared to Fisi he has done well. However to be honest Fisi just seems to blow too hot and cold for me. He should have done much better against Alonso in equal machinery over the last couple of years and I feel he missed his chance to be considered a top driver. Maybe I am being a bit harsh but when you see now how Hamilton is ruffling Alonsos feathers I wonder why Fisi faled to do so on so many occassions.

I think if Kovalainen puts in solid performances throughout the season though and manages to keep Fisi honest, perhaps scoring around the 20-30ish point mark he will get himself another year to show us what he can do.

Davey Boy

Postby Davey Boy » Sat May 26, 2007 7:21 pm

Agides wrote:
Agides wrote:When you consider the results from both drivers so far this season, Fisichella is by no means the head and shoulders above Kovalainen that his F1 experience should put him. I wonder if Kovalainen will make the more significant points contribution for Renault by the end of this season?

:oops: Me and my big mouth! Just like Monaco to prove me wrong - and that it why I love this circuit so much.

Still reflecting on the session and the very harsh (imho) penalty given to Coulthard, so will post in a while.

As for the actual qualifying I was at work so didn't catch much of it at all. I did see the Coulthard incident though and it looks as if the punishment was pretty harsh and you can understand why he would not want to let the following car through on the last corner as it would cost him speed going into his flying lap. Pushing him down to 16th is a joke though and I'd like to see him on the form of the last few races and make up some ground.

Did you see the Ferrari incident? I just saw the pictures...looked like Raikonen hit the barrier on the inside of the corner is that right? If it is then that's pretty bizarre and it was made more amusing when Massa had to drive round him :lol: Raikonen seems really out of sorts though, I think he was expecting to take over from Schumacher in the lead driver role and Massa has really shown that he is a decent driver.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat May 26, 2007 8:30 pm

It's a shame Hamilton didn't manage Pole on the circuit at which it matters the most. Ah well, should be a good race tomorrow - I hope I wake up in time to watch!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Sat May 26, 2007 8:32 pm

Davey Boy wrote:However to be honest Fisi just seems to blow too hot and cold for me. He should have done much better against Alonso in equal machinery over the last couple of years and I feel he missed his chance to be considered a top driver. Maybe I am being a bit harsh but when you see now how Hamilton is ruffling Alonsos feathers I wonder why Fisi faled to do so on so many occassions.

I think if Kovalainen puts in solid performances throughout the season though and manages to keep Fisi honest, perhaps scoring around the 20-30ish point mark he will get himself another year to show us what he can do.

You have absolutely hit the nail on the head with Fisi's inconsistency - there have been the odd flashes of good (but not really 'blow you away') driving - and he should have been able to give Alonso more of a run for his money in a similar Renault car last year. I can't off-hand remember when his contract for Renault expires (I think I read that it's the end of 2007) and whether he is re-signed to Renault or another team for 2008 remains to be seen.

Hamilton, on the other hand, is a great team-mate for Alonso, as he is making him up his game and a bit of on-track rivalry can only be good for the spectator. I find Hamilton very exciting to watch and I think he will prove to be a good ambassador for the sport.

Watch this space!
Agides

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion