Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Footy Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:16 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Sorry for that result BN. But i am glad Bellamy didn't come back and have the last laugh, like so many ex-players seem to.

Oh yeah, congrats MC, I forgot we had a Magpie in our midst! I thought that's exactly what Bellamy was going to do when he scored so early on. Nevermind. Into the top 10 for your boys - Europe beckons!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:16 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
scrambled_eggs wrote:Well they nearly did! Can't fault Arsenal for entertainment value.

Bastards :x

They're just a point behind us now with a game in hand. It was so very nearly 4 points...

No wonder Paul Jewell was going berzerk. I watched the game on ESPN, and to say Arsenal got away with murder is only a slight overstatement :D

What a nasty streak Henry has running through him, for all that talent he can use to prove any points with.

I know, I saw it too. Poor Kirkland, I don't think he did a great deal wrong.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:59 pm

Did anyone see the Bolton- Arsenal FA Cup replay this evening? It was on at work and I caught the last 20 minutes of extra time. It looked like a great cup match, 91st minute equaliser from Bolton to make it 1-1, Arsenal miss 2 penalties but eventually win 3-1 (scoring a third goal as a result of the whole Bolton side attacking). Obviously I would have preferred Bolton go through but I'm glad that we got a good televised match in the cup.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby jlynn » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:15 am

Davey Boy watched the second half, can't say this very oftern, what a game, Arsenal missed two penalties and Adebayou( i think that's how you spell his name missed a sitter, but great match. Oh and rangers got beat, 2what a wonderful world!!!! :wink: john
jlynn

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:35 am

Davey Boy wrote:Did anyone see the Bolton- Arsenal FA Cup replay this evening? It was on at work and I caught the last 20 minutes of extra time. It looked like a great cup match, 91st minute equaliser from Bolton to make it 1-1, Arsenal miss 2 penalties but eventually win 3-1 (scoring a third goal as a result of the whole Bolton side attacking). Obviously I would have preferred Bolton go through but I'm glad that we got a good televised match in the cup.

I saw the last 5 minutes of normal time plus the extra time - sounded like a decent game right through. Those penalties were shockers. Looked like Arseal deserved the win.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Did anyone see the Bolton- Arsenal FA Cup replay this evening? It was on at work and I caught the last 20 minutes of extra time. It looked like a great cup match, 91st minute equaliser from Bolton to make it 1-1, Arsenal miss 2 penalties but eventually win 3-1 (scoring a third goal as a result of the whole Bolton side attacking). Obviously I would have preferred Bolton go through but I'm glad that we got a good televised match in the cup.

I missed it I'm afraid but I'm watching the far less action packed Arsenal-Blackburn tie right now. It's good to be back at work - I can watch what I want on TV!!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:32 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I'm watching the far less action packed Arsenal-Blackburn tie right now. It's good to be back at work - I can watch what I want on TV!!

God, that was a dull first half.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:06 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:I'm watching the far less action packed Arsenal-Blackburn tie right now. It's good to be back at work - I can watch what I want on TV!!

God, that was a dull first half.

The second's not much better.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby jlynn » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:20 pm

Arsenal though seem to be trying a bit harder now though, 3 minutes injury time to go. casn it get any worse? john
jlynn

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:30 pm

jlynn wrote:Arsenal though seem to be trying a bit harder now though, 3 minutes injury time to go. casn it get any worse? john

Arsenal really wouldn't have wanted the replay. Friedal pulled off an amazing double save near the end which reminded me of that Leeds vs Sunderland 1973 FA Cup final! God knows how he kept that second shot out.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:44 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Friedal pulled off an amazing double save near the end which reminded me of that Leeds vs Sunderland 1973 FA Cup final! God knows how he kept that second shot out.

lol, you pulled that one out of leftfield :) The game was rubbish and the draw suits neither, really - although I'm sure Blackburn prefer it more of the two.

At least this Man Utd v Reading game is a little more lively - it was looking like going the same sad way for a time.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:56 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Friedal pulled off an amazing double save near the end which reminded me of that Leeds vs Sunderland 1973 FA Cup final! God knows how he kept that second shot out.

lol, you pulled that one out of leftfield :) The game was rubbish and the draw suits neither, really - although I'm sure Blackburn prefer it more of the two.

At least this Man Utd v Reading game is a little more lively - it was looking like going the same sad way for a time.

I'm enjoying it! Reading reserves nearly snatched the win too - they've just hit the post!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

I'm enjoying it! Reading reserves nearly snatched the win too - they've just hit the post!

it's great at the moment - fantastic save by the Reading 'keeper.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Davey Boy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:37 pm

I have only caught slight glimpses of todays action, althoug by all accounts the Arse-Blackburn match sounded awful. I saw part of the first half of Man Utd-Reading, including Carricks goal. A replay won't suit Man Utd really though and they should have got the job done at home the way they are playing.

Davey Boy

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:11 am

Who saw any of the Champions League action this evening?

By the time I got in I only saw highlights of Real Madrid- Bayern Munich which was the last match ITV showed on their highlights show. The Man Utd- Lille game though looked interesting and it seems that the match may be remembered for some of the wrong reasons. Early on there was some kind of crowd trouble apparently, with United fans being squashed into their tier (although no injuries were sustained). I saw this event at halftime of the live match on ITV before I went out and it seemed the French police over reacted to a situation which was not the fault of the fans, although I could be wrong about this.

In the 83rd minute Giggs took a quick free kick and scored to make the game 1-0. The goalie was still setting his wall and was in no way ready. As a result the Lille coach called all their players to the sideline and threatened to not let them carry on. Eventually they did, but the Lille supporters began throwing missiles onto the pitch for the remainder of the match. Doesn't sound at all good and no doubt UEFA will become involved.

Davey Boy

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:57 am

Davey Boy wrote:Who saw any of the Champions League action this evening?

By the time I got in I only saw highlights of Real Madrid- Bayern Munich which was the last match ITV showed on their highlights show. The Man Utd- Lille game though looked interesting and it seems that the match may be remembered for some of the wrong reasons. Early on there was some kind of crowd trouble apparently, with United fans being squashed into their tier (although no injuries were sustained). I saw this event at halftime of the live match on ITV before I went out and it seemed the French police over reacted to a situation which was not the fault of the fans, although I could be wrong about this.

In the 83rd minute Giggs took a quick free kick and scored to make the game 1-0. The goalie was still setting his wall and was in no way ready. As a result the Lille coach called all their players to the sideline and threatened to not let them carry on. Eventually they did, but the Lille supporters began throwing missiles onto the pitch for the remainder of the match. Doesn't sound at all good and no doubt UEFA will become involved.

It sounded like an all-round cock-up by the Lille team staff and, seprately, the police. I would imagine the club will be in a lot of trouble. Man Utd did nothing wrong, at all. The ref moved away, so the free kick was there to be taken - goalkeeper should have been ready. You play to the ref, not the opposition goalkeeper. The coach was stupid to try and get his team to come off the pitch.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:44 pm

I always think if you want to make sure the free kick isn't taken too quickly, just plonk someone right in front of the ball until the goalkeeper and wall are ready.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:32 pm

I was delighted with our away win in Barcelona. The two scorers couldn't have been better scripted either! :lol:

The harsh realities of the Premiership beckon tomorrow, I'm worried Sheff Utd will benefit from out herculean midweek effort.

Good result for Spurs on Wednesday! Berbatov seems to be in the groove now...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:44 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I was delighted with our away win in Barcelona. The two scorers couldn't have been better scripted either! :lol:

The harsh realities of the Premiership beckon tomorrow, I'm worried Sheff Utd will benefit from out herculean midweek effort.

Great result, considering it was an average performance. I did feel the ref was trying to be a twelfth man for them, at various times - although, you couldn't possibly comment ;) The Barca team was shown for its current fractious self, though, when the equaliser went in.

Let's hope the 2nd leg goes to plan.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:27 pm

Sorry to bring this thread back to the top BN but it's been a couple of days... are you ready to talk abut it? :wink:

Unlucky for you boys and United are definately showing the kind of luck needed to win the title. Obviously I was on the other side of the situation this weekend with the 89th and 95th minute goals grabbing us three points and surely condemning West Ham to relegation. Kinda satisfying after the way last season ended at Upton Park though but the manner in which we did it must be the biggest imaginable kick in the crotch for West Ham.

What are your predictions for the Champs League this week fellas? Man Utd should be through. Benitez will see Liverpool past Barca, ditto for Mourinho and Porto. Not so sure about Arsenal and Celtic will surely need a miracle, but they can happen...

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Sorry to bring this thread back to the top BN but it's been a couple of days... are you ready to talk abut it? :wink:

Unlucky for you boys and United are definately showing the kind of luck needed to win the title. Obviously I was on the other side of the situation this weekend with the 89th and 95th minute goals grabbing us three points and surely condemning West Ham to relegation. Kinda satisfying after the way last season ended at Upton Park though but the manner in which we did it must be the biggest imaginable kick in the crotch for West Ham.

What are your predictions for the Champs League this week fellas? Man Utd should be through. Benitez will see Liverpool past Barca, ditto for Mourinho and Porto. Not so sure about Arsenal and Celtic will surely need a miracle, but they can happen...

Amazing game for your boys Davey. did you hear Motty's commentary? He went bananas! We've only got ourselves to blame for our home defeat at the weekend - we really do need a top drawer striker in the Rush/Fowler/Owen mould if we're going to challenge at the very top - too many missed chances again I'm afraid. Having said that Man U scored with their only effort on target so lady luck certainly seems to be shining for them this season (especially as they pulled the exact same trick at Fulham last week). The title's theirs to lose.

Champions League action tonight - I'm too nervous to say I'm actually 'looking forward' to it. Whatever Benitez says I know we'll go into our shell and try to defend our lead. I'd settle for a 0-1 home defeat right now if it means getting through to the next round. I fear for Arsenal and Celtic but I think the other British clubs will progress.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Davey Boy wrote:Sorry to bring this thread back to the top BN but it's been a couple of days... are you ready to talk abut it? :wink:

Amazing game for your boys Davey. did you hear Motty's commentary? He went bananas! We've only got ourselves to blame for our home defeat at the weekend - we really do need a top drawer striker in the Rush/Fowler/Owen mould if we're going to challenge at the very top - too many missed chances again I'm afraid. Having said that Man U scored with their only effort on target so lady luck certainly seems to be shining for them this season (especially as they pulled the exact same trick at Fulham last week). The title's theirs to lose.

Champions League action tonight - I'm too nervous to say I'm actually 'looking forward' to it. Whatever Benitez says I know we'll go into our shell and try to defend our lead. I'd settle for a 0-1 home defeat right now if it means getting through to the next round. I fear for Arsenal and Celtic but I think the other British clubs will progress.

It's going to be a big game tonight. A repeat of Saturday's result would actually be good enough, this time.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby bic » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:01 pm

Should be a good game too with Barca having to throw everything at L'pool. Hopefully my mrs will be in a good mood and let me watch it. I'll deffo be a glory hunting armchair Liverpool fan for this evening.
bic

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:59 am

Moon-Crane wrote:It's going to be a big game tonight. A repeat of Saturday's result would actually be good enough, this time.

Indeed it was! And similar to Saturday's game in many respects, particularly the number of chances we missed. Ah well, I'm pleased to be through. Out new American owners were there last night too - I hope they saw our glaring need for a world class striker and are prepared to put their hands in their pockets!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:04 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:It's going to be a big game tonight. A repeat of Saturday's result would actually be good enough, this time.

Indeed it was! And similar to Saturday's game in many respects, particularly the number of chances we missed. Ah well, I'm pleased to be through. Out new American owners were there last night too - I hope they saw our glaring need for a world class striker and are prepared to put their hands in their pockets!

It was looking dodgy after all those missed chances :shock:

Did you see the Valencia-Inter game kick off? :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion