Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Six Nations - New Brooms sweep clean!!!!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Nervosa wrote:Probably best to leave the 'English commentators biased' discussion for a while, I'm never gonna win that one against an English bloke! :lol:

I was pleased with the match today, but not with how Ireland played. They had me quite panicked at the end of the first, and they made quite a lot of fumbles and errors. They could have had an additional try during the first if they'd pushed harder at it. I think the second half was better for Ireland, but still not to their full potential IMO. I think Wales also put in a bad performance too.

Does anyone enjoy the matches that don't invlove a home nation as much? Personally I do enjoy them. France v Italy is always a good one to watch.

I certainly enjoyed Sunday's match, as a semi-neutral, I thought the game was superb, a bit scrappy yes, but non stop action. I was suprised any of the players could stand at the end of that game. Yes there were some errors, but that will always be the case in the first match of the Six Nations, especially when such pride is at stake. The Irish did show composure and that's how they came out on top. I do not think you need too worry much - the Grand Slam is still beckoning. Wales put up a gutsy performance, and played superb Rugby at times so don't put Ireland down too much. You may well have had to worry more if Wales were at full strength? which worries me a little for our game in the last weekend.
No, great game, the deserved winners came out in the end, and yes possibly a little untidy especially from O'Gara, but a facsinating game all things considered. :lol:
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Nervosa » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:18 pm

Rob wrote:You may well have had to worry more if Wales were at full strength? which worries me a little for our game in the last weekend.
No, great game, the deserved winners came out in the end, and yes possibly a little untidy especially from O'Gara, but a facsinating game all things considered. :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking "what the hell is wrong with these guys, this is international Rugby" at one stage. Untidy is how I'd describe Ireland's performance too. The result was good (from my point of view anyway), but I feel they have more in them than what we saw on Sunday.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:31 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Rob wrote:You may well have had to worry more if Wales were at full strength? which worries me a little for our game in the last weekend.

Yeah, I was thinking "what the hell is wrong with these guys, this is international Rugby" at one stage. Untidy is how I'd describe Ireland's performance too. The result was good (from my point of view anyway), but I feel they have more in them than what we saw on Sunday.

That's if O'Driscoll recovers from his "girly" hamstring injury!! :wink:
Rodge

Postby Nervosa » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Rob wrote:That's if O'Driscoll recovers from his "girly" hamstring injury!! :wink:

Oh sod off! :lol:

Who do you fancy for Saturday Rob? I think England will take the win. I think Scotland v. Wales should be pretty good to watch as well, they're of equal standards really.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:12 pm

Nervosa wrote:Who do you fancy for Saturday Rob? I think England will take the win. I think Scotland v. Wales should be pretty good to watch as well, they're of equal standards really.

Well if England lose to Italy, I'll be asking BN to close this thread down!!

On Sundays performance, I think Wales will beat Scotland with very few problems - however never under estimate the Scots pride.

Now France - Ireland. Whoever wins that game will take the championship. I'm afraid, if I was a betting man, my money would be on France, but if O'Driscoll's fit, D'Arcy & Murphy play as well as they did on Sunday and O'Gara, finds his usual form then anything could happen and the Irish have a good chance.
Rodge

Postby Nervosa » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:19 pm

Anyone see England today?
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Yeah, went pretty much as expected I think. Nice to see Jonny Wilkinson become the all-time record points scorer in the five/six nations too. I wasn't overly enamoured with the performance (I think Italy finished the stronger) but the result was never in doubt.

Nice to see Scotland beating Wales too. :D
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:33 pm

Both fairly dull but scrappy games, rather uninspiring.
England were tepid, Italy were vastly improved, and took us by suprise. Hopefully we will up our game in two weeks. We definitely missed our full strength back row.
Scotland were persistant and Wales lacked ideas. But well done Scotland deserved win.
Not the best rugby weekend so far.
Hopefully tomorrow will see some free flowing Rugby and quite a few blue shirts crossing the line at Croke Park!! :lol:
Rodge

Postby Nervosa » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Rob wrote:Hopefully tomorrow will see some free flowing Rugby and quite a few blue shirts crossing the line at Croke Park!! :lol:

Meeeeoww! :lol:

I thought both matches today were pretty boring to be honest.
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:21 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Rob wrote:Hopefully tomorrow will see some free flowing Rugby and quite a few blue shirts crossing the line at Croke Park!! :lol:

If we're going to win the tournament we could do with an Ireland defeat, there's no doubt about it. Every expert I listen to says Ireland have a better team than England even without O'Driscoll...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:15 pm

Nervosa wrote:

I guess it depends on how much you 'love' Rugby. I for one would never find a match boring, because it's not just a game of tries & scores, it's about strategy, power and comittment, and yes both games today lacked true inspiration, but they were both fascinating in there own way.

BN wrote:If we're going to win the tournament we could do with an Ireland defeat, there's no doubt about it. Every expert I listen to says Ireland have a better team than England even without O'Driscoll...

I cannot disagree, but it will depend upon how the teams play on the day. If England play as well as they did against Scotland and Ireland as poorly as they did against Wales, then even with O'Driscoll included, then England should win, but if England play like they did today and Ireland play like they did in the Autumn Internationals then Ireland will win heavily. I do think a different England will go out onto the pitch in the next match. Having said all that I still feel Ireland have the upper hand - (which may actually help us), and hence there will be a lot of English fans supporting France tomorrow!
Rodge

Postby Nervosa » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:48 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Nervosa wrote:

If we're going to win the tournament we could do with an Ireland defeat, there's no doubt about it. Every expert I listen to says Ireland have a better team than England even without O'Driscoll...

I've heard Ireland are favourites to win, bookies choice. Personally, I never heed any of those predictions as they are ultimately irrelevant. I just found todays matches 'boring' in the sense that they lacked any awe-inspiring Rugby. I didn't mean I was almost nodding off if you know what I mean. Boring Rugby match, not really boring Rugby. Like Rob said, it's interesting watching them battle it out.

I think Italy did really well today. Of course there was never a doubt that England would win the match, but I felt that England would have thrashed the I-ties by at least 40 points. A 13 point loss wasn't too bad for them really.

Fingers crossed for Ireland tomorrow! Although I know that I'm the only one on this forum that'll have crossed fingers! :lol:
Nervosa

Postby Nervosa » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:55 pm

Oh bugger!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

After struggling through the second and eventually getting a lead, they throw it away in the last minute! So long Grand Slam. :x
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Nervosa wrote:So long Grand Slam. :x

There's always next year mate. :wink:

I thought the Irish were unlucky today, to be fair...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Nervosa » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:08 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I thought the Irish were unlucky today, to be fair...

I can't believe it. I think they should have won purely because of the amount of work they put in to take a lead. France were dominating the majority of the match, so they did well to take a lead. I know they'd make a blunder of it, I had a feeling. When France went over the line in the last minute, you wouldn't believe the amount of shouting and jumping around I did!! :x :x

I pretty annoyed to say the least.
Nervosa

Postby Rodge » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:21 pm

Nervosa wrote:Oh bugger!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

After struggling through the second and eventually getting a lead, they throw it away in the last minute! So long Grand Slam. :x

It's a hard game, but I do feel the better team won, but maybe a draw would have been more fair. My heart does go out to the Irish fans. Peter Stringer was sorely missed today. I feel if he had been there O'Gara would have had a few more pops at goal, and Ireland would have come out on top.
There's always the Triple Crown. :?
Rodge

Postby Nervosa » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:17 pm

Rob wrote:
Nervosa wrote:Oh bugger!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's a hard game, but I do feel the better team won, but maybe a draw would have been more fair. My heart does go out to the Irish fans. Peter Stringer was sorely missed today. I feel if he had been there O'Gara would have had a few more pops at goal, and Ireland would have come out on top.
There's always the Triple Crown. :?

I don't really like Stringer. He seems to think he's built like a tank and so forgets he's a scrum-half and turns into a prop. He tries to make runs from a ruck/maul and ends up going arse over elbow after half a step. I think O'Driscal was more missed; there were a couple of occasion where I was aware that he could have done something better with the ball. No doubt France performed better, but I thought it was crap the way we lost in the last minute after chasing so hard.
Nervosa

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:00 pm

It's only Tuesday and I'm already getting nervous.

I feel the England team will croak at Croke Park!
Rodge

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:27 am

Rob wrote:It's only Tuesday and I'm already getting nervous.

lol, you couldn't wait to use that line, could you ;)

Hopefully England will cause a surprise - they will be the underdog for this game.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:28 pm

I'm hoping this will be a really even match-up, but maybe I'm being naive?
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Nervosa » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:21 am

Beer Necessity wrote:

I'm hoping this will be a really even match-up, but maybe I'm being naive?

I'm actually quite worried. Mainly because if we lose tomorrow we're basically stuffed. Wilko isn't playing, O'Driscal is, which puts me at a bit of ease. But I'll still be pretty edgey. I predict Ireland will have a bad first half and then pick it up in the second. Then throw it all away (like they seem to do pretty often) in the closing minutes.

Fact: It will be a good game to watch, no matter what the result. One of my buddies is actually down South for the game, so maybe I'll probably be able to post some photos, I think he has a good seat.
Nervosa

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:23 pm

Nervosa wrote: I predict Ireland will have a bad first half and then pick it up in the second. Then throw it all away (like they seem to do pretty often) in the closing minutes.

That's what England have been doing for the passed 3 years!! :cry:
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:55 pm

The Azzuri beating the Scots - the underdogs win away from home - let's hope that's an omen for the day!! :wink:
Rodge

Postby Nervosa » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:29 pm

HAPPY DAYS!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Fantastic match (for us lot!) :D
Nervosa

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:37 pm

I am dangerously disappointed in England.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion