Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Footy Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:28 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Liverpool v Everton was a big dull dud of a game. I'm watching the Charlton v Chelsea game at the moment and it's pretty much going as expected. Good lampard goal. Chelsea look comfortable.

God it was rubbish wasn't it. Our engine room just didn't fire at all, which sometimes happens with the Alonso/Gerrard pairing. Both performed poorly today. I prefer it when Mo Sissoko plays in the middle alongside Gerrard - he harries and fights for everything.

Well played to Everton though. As soon as I saw their line up I thought what a solid team it looked, especially the midfield. Johnson could have snatched it for them too. A draw was a fair result, and with Arsenal getting the same result against 'Boro it's as you were for the Champions League places. I hope Man U slip up tomorrow, it will make things so much more interesting!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby scrambled_eggs » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:31 pm

We defended very well and as the game went on, you didn't seem to have a plan apart from hoofing it to Crouch a. A good point for us, and we maintain bragging rights after the 3-0. :wink:

All in all, I think we're definitely happier than the reds tonight, and I'm glad it's out of the way.

We're the pride of Merseyside

:wink:
Last edited by scrambled_eggs on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scrambled_eggs

Postby scrambled_eggs » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
scrambled_eggs wrote:Haha, yet another Liverpool fan not from Liverpool, BN? :wink:

Yeah, I have to admit, although my grandad was a Liverpudlian I can't really cling to that as justification for my allegiance seeing as he died in 1966! I watched the Reds win the European cup on telly in the late seventies as a young boy and I was hooked. A familiar tale probably, but I don't think I'm half as bad as those cockney Manc supporters! :lol:

scrambled_eggs wrote:I think you'll do us, but we'll see.

Me too! As Kelsey might sing, I hear the blues a callin' for your boys! :wink:

scrambled_eggs wrote:Off to bed, early start tomorrow, pre match drinks then a short walk to analfield. :wink:

I envy you. The last time I went some young scally wanted a quid to make sure my car didn't get a screwdriver down the side of it. Cheek!

scrambled_eggs wrote:COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!

Come on lads, don't let me down now we have another Blue Nose on the board - I chased the last one out of here by sheer force of gloating after our 2005 Champions League triumph! :lol:

Hehe, fair play to you mate, there is a lot of piss-taking regarding Liverpools out of town support, but you seem sound enough to me, you are a Frasier fan after all!

And re: the scallies minding cars, that's just the young Liverpool attitude to be honest, we're a decent bunch really, even if the kids do still favour the tracksuit!
scrambled_eggs

Postby Davey Boy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Well it's nice to have another contributor to this board after BN and myself have dominated it for the last couple of months. I'm just waiting to see the highlights of the Merseyside derby on MOTD but from the sounds of it I'll be waiting until near midnight!

s_e I would be delighted to take 4 points in a season from the North London derby (being a Spurs fan) and I think you definately have bragging rights! Tough luck BN! :wink:
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby scrambled_eggs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:21 am

Davey Boy wrote:Well it's nice to have another contributor to this board after BN and myself have dominated it for the last couple of months. I'm just waiting to see the highlights of the Merseyside derby on MOTD but from the sounds of it I'll be waiting until near midnight!

s_e I would be delighted to take 4 points in a season from the North London derby (being a Spurs fan) and I think you definately have bragging rights! Tough luck BN! :wink:

I look forward to staying here! Don't know if you caught the highlights, but believe it or not, we had more chances than what MOTD showed!

I remember your derby at the Emirates, or the Grove, whatever they call it - and I seem to remember you got screwed out of a point or 3.

I was at WHL when we played you this season, one of our best performances along with the 3-0 against the non-scousers ( :wink: sorry BN I can't help it, there's no scouse reds anymore!)

Do you know when you're coming to our place this season at all? It's been frantically re-scheduled due to cups, and I've completely lost track. Kick-off times have absolutely fooked me recently, can't remember our last Saturday 3pm game! :shock:
scrambled_eggs

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:45 am

scrambled_eggs wrote:I look forward to staying here! Don't know if you caught the highlights, but believe it or not, we had more chances than what MOTD showed!

I remember your derby at the Emirates, or the Grove, whatever they call it - and I seem to remember you got screwed out of a point or 3.

I was at WHL when we played you this season, one of our best performances along with the 3-0 against the non-scousers ( :wink: sorry BN I can't help it, there's no scouse reds anymore!)

Do you know when you're coming to our place this season at all? It's been frantically re-scheduled due to cups, and I've completely lost track. Kick-off times have absolutely fooked me recently, can't remember our last Saturday 3pm game! :shock:

Yeah we were a bit robbed at the Gooners place, two offside goals and a good tackle which was given as a penalty. However we didn't play that well and I was disappointed at the lack of passion and desire that the players displayed, which I think is even more gutting for us fans.

I remember the 3-0 defeat, absolutely shocking by us and I believe you played a large portion of the match with 10 men? I hope we can get you back at your place as losing that badly at home is awful. I do though empathise with Everton as I feel they are in the same position as Spurs. Very successful in the last century but since the 1990's have been playing second fiddle (in terms of success) to a local rival.

As for when we are playing you I don't know. As we are still in the FA Cup and were in the League Cup until the semis alot of our fixtures have been moved. This also is made worse by the UEFA Cup which adds alot of fixtures, and as games are on Thursday pushes many of our league games to Sundays. Do you have a season ticket for Everton?

Davey Boy

Postby scrambled_eggs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:57 am

Davey Boy wrote:
scrambled_eggs wrote:I look forward to staying here! Don't know if you caught the highlights, but believe it or not, we had more chances than what MOTD showed!

Yeah we were a bit robbed at the Gooners place, two offside goals and a good tackle which was given as a penalty. However we didn't play that well and I was disappointed at the lack of passion and desire that the players displayed, which I think is even more gutting for us fans.

I remember the 3-0 defeat, absolutely shocking by us and I believe you played a large portion of the match with 10 men? I hope we can get you back at your place as losing that badly at home is awful. I do though empathise with Everton as I feel they are in the same position as Spurs. Very successful in the last century but since the 1990's have been playing second fiddle (in terms of success) to a local rival.

As for when we are playing you I don't know. As we are still in the FA Cup and were in the League Cup until the semis alot of our fixtures have been moved. This also is made worse by the UEFA Cup which adds alot of fixtures, and as games are on Thursday pushes many of our league games to Sundays. Do you have a season ticket for Everton?

We only beat you 2-0 mate, so it wasn't that bad! We had Kilbane sent off which actually made us better to be honest! Agree about being in the same position as you, just wish we had a bit of your money / ability to bring in players.

I have a season ticket, yes, seen a lot of crap over the years but wouldn't feel right without one!

Anyway, been a long day, bedtime for me, speak soon!
scrambled_eggs

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:59 am

scrambled_eggs wrote:We only beat you 2-0 mate, so it wasn't that bad! We had Kilbane sent off which actually made us better to be honest! Agree about being in the same position as you, just wish we had a bit of your money / ability to bring in players.

I have a season ticket, yes, seen a lot of crap over the years but wouldn't feel right without one!

Anyway, been a long day, bedtime for me, speak soon!

Oops thought it was 3-0. :oops:

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:20 am

scrambled_eggs wrote:We defended very well and as the game went on, you didn't seem to have a plan apart from hoofing it to Crouch a. A good point for us, and we maintain bragging rights after the 3-0. :wink:

All in all, I think we're definitely happier than the reds tonight, and I'm glad it's out of the way.

We're the pride of Merseyside

:wink:

I know, and we started to shoot from long range at a worryingly early point in proceedings too - a sure sign that we couldn't find a way though.

What do you think to Rafa's comments about "smaller clubs coming to Anfield for the draw"? A bit of mischief or do you think his English wasn't up to scratch? (Alan Shearer and Lawro just claimed the latter on MOTD :lol: )

Yup, you're the pride of Mersyside tonight but I'm sure you'd swap league positions in a flash! :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:26 am

Beer Necessity wrote:What do you think to Rafa's comments about "smaller clubs coming to Anfield for the draw"? A bit of mischief or do you think his English wasn't up to scratch? (Alan Shearer and Lawro just claimed the latter on MOTD :lol: )

God forbid that Shearer and Lawro could possibly say something controversial! They don't want to have to add another Premiership manager who won't talk to the Beeb (Sir Alex, Harry Redknapp and Big Sam). I'm undecided really, although there was certainly a hint of anger and annoyance in his voice and I think perhaps he did have an inkling that it would cause offence.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:29 am

scrambled_eggs wrote:Hehe, fair play to you mate, there is a lot of piss-taking regarding Liverpools out of town support, but you seem sound enough to me, you are a Frasier fan after all!

I thought it was funny when 1 million people turned up on the streets of Liverpool for our CL parade - that's bigger than the population of the city! When Chelski won the Prem for the first time in fifty years they could only scare up a hundred thousand or so in London which obviously has a much bigger population. Hell, the Norwegian branch of the Mighty Reds fan club has 20,000 members so compared to those guys I'm a local! :lol:

scrambled_eggs wrote:And re: the scallies minding cars, that's just the young Liverpool attitude to be honest, we're a decent bunch really, even if the kids do still favour the tracksuit!

That wasn't intended as a lazy stereotype btw - that did actually happen to me! The lad was only about 6 or 7 and seemed really nice too, not threatening at all. I got the feeling it was something his dad had told him to do. I did actually give him the quid and came back to my car intact - a fair deal I reckon! I hope the new Stanley Park stadium will have a massive underground car park like Ajax when it's built, it's so hard to get parked around that area.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:34 am

Davey Boy wrote:God forbid that Shearer and Lawro could possibly say something controversial! They don't want to have to add another Premiership manager who won't talk to the Beeb (Sir Alex, Harry Redknapp and Big Sam)

Hehe, I though Fergie had melted and started talking to the beeb again now? Maybe I'm wrong. I bet the MOTD producers were seriously pissed when that Panorama programme was shown - pretty soon they'll only be able to get the women's 3rd team reserve coach to give post match interviews from some clubs!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:37 am

Davey Boy wrote:Well it's nice to have another contributor to this board after BN and myself have dominated it for the last couple of months.

I couldn't agree more. I hope you stick around for a while SE - it's nice to have knowledgeable fans like you and Davey to talk to! :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:43 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
scrambled_eggs wrote:And re: the scallies minding cars, that's just the young Liverpool attitude to be honest, we're a decent bunch really, even if the kids do still favour the tracksuit!

That wasn't intended as a lazy stereotype btw - that did actually happen to me! The lad was only about 6 or 7 and seemed really nice too, not threatening at all. I got the feeling it was something his dad had told him to do. I did actually give him the quid and came back to my car intact - a fair deal I reckon! I hope the new Stanley Park stadium will have a massive underground car park like Ajax when it's built, it's so hard to get parked around that area.

I was told by someone that he knew of a car park near WHL where a bunch of "kind chaps" would nicely look after your car for a fiver :wink: When I go up it is a marathon of a day. Assuming a 3pm kick off, out of the house at 10.30am, on the train to London Waterloo, two underground journeys, an 45 minute or so walk down Tottenham High Street, 90 minute match and the same again to get home at about 9pm. Long old day, especially if it's a bad game or we lose.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:57 am

Davey Boy wrote:I was told by someone that he knew of a car park near WHL where a bunch of "kind chaps" would nicely look after your car for a fiver :wink: When I go up it is a marathon of a day. Assuming a 3pm kick off, out of the house at 10.30am, on the train to London Waterloo, two underground journeys, an 45 minute or so walk down Tottenham High Street, 90 minute match and the same again to get home at about 9pm. Long old day, especially if it's a bad game or we lose.

It's about a 150 mile round trip for me to Anfield and then there's the problems parking etc. and invariably a long-ish walk to the ground itself. On top of that at 6'4" I find it vert uncomfortable trying to crowbar myself into those Kop seats - they squashed them as close together as possible to keep the capacity high. I much preferred to stand; the atmosphere was much better too (although it's still pretty good now, but it was electric back then).
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:05 am

Beer Necessity wrote:It's about a 150 mile round trip for me to Anfield and then there's the problems parking etc. and invariably a long-ish walk to the ground itself. On top of that at 6'4" I find it vert uncomfortable trying to crowbar myself into those Kop seats - they squashed them as close together as possible to keep the capacity high. I much preferred to stand; the atmosphere was much better too (although it's still pretty good now, but it was electric back then).

Due to my age I never went to a stadium with any standing sections as they had all been replaced by the time I was at the age to be watching footy matches. I imagine though that as you say the atmosphere must have been amazing. If I recall correctly the highest attendance at WHL was around 75,000, which in the area of the stadium must have been incredible.

Just to move the conversation in a slightly different way, how do you predict the England game going? Who do you think will start? I'd like to see something along the lines of: Robinson, G Neville, Ferdinand, Terry/Woodgate, Bridge (better than Cole anyway this season), Lennon, Gerrard, Hargreaves (is he fit?!), Barry, Rooney, Defoe/Johnson.

Davey Boy

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:43 pm

Lol, i see Benitez has stirred up a hornet's nest by branding Everton a small club.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot ... 329221.stm
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Just to move the conversation in a slightly different way, how do you predict the England game going? Who do you think will start? I'd like to see something along the lines of: Robinson, G Neville, Ferdinand, Terry/Woodgate, Bridge (better than Cole anyway this season), Lennon, Gerrard, Hargreaves (is he fit?!), Barry, Rooney, Defoe/Johnson.

I think we'll probably beat Spain by a couple of goals and everyone will suddenly think we're back on track.

I'd like to have seen Scott Carson picked. He, along with Roberts and, surprisingly, James, looks the most in-form English keeper at the moment.

I'd be surprised if Terry played. Woodgate looks a good bet, though. Cole is out, too. Nolan deserved a try, also. Why do we always pick people who are unfit?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:38 pm

Well I think I can safely conclude Spurs were atrocious today and Ronaldo is still a cheating ****.

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:55 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Well I think I can safely conclude Spurs were atrocious today and Ronaldo is still a cheating ****.

Ouch. I didn't want to post on this before you did. I think it's just a case of Man U being in top form right now. I've just seen MOTD2 and they'd probably have done that to any opponent today; they're movement is really slick at the moment.

Ronaldo a cheating c***? Surely not! :wink: He may be the best player in the Prem at the moment but a leopard don't change it's spots - he'll always be like that.

Spurs need to regroup after this. They played pretty well first half before things fell apart in the second, so it's not all bad news.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:59 pm

Having clicked on this thread by mistake and taken a look through the last few posts, now I know what it must be like for a non-fan to stumble in on the Who thread! :lol:

It's so macho in here! :P
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Davey Boy wrote:Just to move the conversation in a slightly different way, how do you predict the England game going? Who do you think will start? I'd like to see something along the lines of: Robinson, G Neville, Ferdinand, Terry/Woodgate, Bridge (better than Cole anyway this season), Lennon, Gerrard, Hargreaves (is he fit?!), Barry, Rooney, Defoe/Johnson.

I think we'll probably beat Spain by a couple of goals and everyone will suddenly think we're back on track.

I'd like to have seen Scott Carson picked. He, along with Roberts and, surprisingly, James, looks the most in-form English keeper at the moment.

I'd be surprised if Terry played. Woodgate looks a good bet, though. Cole is out, too. Nolan deserved a try, also. Why do we always pick people who are unfit?

Ditto. I can't stand McClaren and a tiny, unpatriotic part of me wants him to fail so we can get a manager with a decent pedigree in charge. He's making the same mistakes Erikson did, which is hardly surprising as he sat next to him for 5 years picking them up. I'm depressed about the state of the English national team at the moment. I always watch the games though, for some strange reason.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:02 am

Bad Ambassador wrote:Having clicked on this thread by mistake and taken a look through the last few posts, now I know what it must be like for a non-fan to stumble in on the Who thread! :lol:

It's so macho in here! :P

"So macho! You've gotta be, so macho! You've gotta be big and strong..."

Is that macho enough for you? If not I'll get out me pink leotard with matching headband... :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:03 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

Ditto. I can't stand McClaren and a tiny, unpatriotic part of me wants him to fail so we can get a manager with a decent pedigree in charge. He's making the same mistakes Erikson did, which is hardly surprising as he sat next to him for 5 years picking them up. I'm depressed about the state of the English national team at the moment. I always watch the games though, for some strange reason.

I'm afraid it's optimistic to think we'll get a decent manager if McClaren was pushed out. All the great managers are too much of trouble makers for our governing body to keep control of.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:06 am

Beer Necessity wrote:Is that macho enough for you? If not I'll get out me pink leotard with matching headband... :lol:

It was a lovely rendition, but the leotard still wouldn't hurt!

All I know about football is that, even though he's a winking cheat, I wouldn't say no to a bit of Ronaldo.

Not that I'm shallow or anything. Now I shall leave this thread to the people who know their stuff!
Bad Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion