Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Footy Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The Footy Thread!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:30 pm

This Saturday sees the beginning of the new English football Premiership season. My team (Liverpool) will be trying to break into the top 3 this season which for the last few seasons has been Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester Bucc...I mean Manchester United. It will be a tough ask with Chelsea clear favourites as reigning champions but hopefully Liverpool's newly-found confidence from being crowned European Champions in May can spur them on. Personally I think 4th spot is a realistic target, with anything higher a big bonus.

I know a couple of other regular posters are also Liverpool fans, but does anyone else on here express a preference? It's my favourite time in the footballing calendar as anything is still possible!
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Thu May 24, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Re: New Premiership Season

Postby Phil Branch » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:04 pm

Arsenal are my Premiership team, sad to see them lose the Community shield to Chelski, who unfortunately are going to be the team to beat. As much as it goes against the grain for me to admit, I think that Spurs are going to be the surprise package this season.

My True team is Brentford, they've got off to a great start this season, 2 wins out of 2 and sitting proudly at the top of League 1.

My local team, AFC Wimbledon got promoted to the Ryman Premiership, only 3 rungs off league status. Wonder when, or if, they'll overtake the MK Dons ?
Phil Branch

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:17 pm

I think it's a case of 'when' rather than 'if' on that last point Phil!

Yes, I remember you support Brentford mate, I hope you have as good a cup run as you did last year. I fear for Arsenal this season. Obviously they still have Henry but I think Viera will be a big miss this season. And with Sol Campbell seemingly forever injured or out of favour I'm worried that Man U will be the main challengers this season.

It should be interesting, I just hope Chelski don't run away with it.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Ali 75 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:34 am

I think Chelsea will win the Premiership again this season, but I don't think it'll be as easy this time. I thought Arsenal looked good in the Charity Shield, and I don't think Viera was quite the same player as he had been in the past last season anyway, so I think they'll be in the top 3 as usual. I think Man U will finish second though, despite the boardroom unrest I think a fit Van Horseface and Rooney having got his first season over with, will be a good front two.

Liverpool should finish 4th, but I agree with Phil, Spurs are my dark horse team this year. That said, I thought that last year and it didn't quite happen for them. Newcastle are my tip for duds of the season, although with Europe out of the equation, they may do slightly better.

I only hope that Liverpool's early start will work for them rather than against them. There are major rumours that Michael Owen is about to re-sign, Parry and Moores stayed behind when the team travelled yesterday to meet a player and his agent in a city centre hotel - I hope he does come back, with Gerrard and Alonso to feed him, and a rejuvenated Cisse, things could get interesting this year.
Ali 75

Postby Sideshow Meg » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:28 am

I'm kind of hoping Owen doesn't resign because in mine (and my cousin's) opinion, he sold out to real Madrid and now is coming back to his roots now that they don't want him any more. Liverpool won the Champions League minus Owen, do we really need him? Gerrard's the man at the moment anyway
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Ali 75 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:44 am

I agree with you in some ways Meg, but from what I've heard, Rafa wasn't that keen to keep him which is why he left in the end. I thought he was poor in his final season with us, he missed a lot of penalties and seemed to be unhappy in general. I'm shocked that no-one has come in for him though, I'd lay odds on him getting 20+ goals for anyone. I like Cisse and Morientes, but Owen would score more than either of them. He got his slap on the knuckles anyway with him missing out on the CL win.

I prefer Carragher to Gerrard, but I'm glad he's stayed, him and Alonso are quality. Owen and Cisse playing ahead of those two would be a dream as far as I'm concerned, and truth be told, I don't want Man U to get him, that could be bad news for us.
Ali 75

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:43 pm

I definately don't want Man U to get him, that would be horrible!

or Chelsea
Sideshow Meg

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:50 pm

I agree about Owen Ali, but I'd be amazed if we re-signed him. I think Newcastle are the team most likely as it's the only place he's guaranteed football at the moment.

Just a word on Spurs. I think their fan's optimism stems from the signing of Davids, a man who averages 16 appearences a season for the last few years due to his constant stream of injuries. I notice he's injured for today's game, Spurs fans had better get used to that. I think they'll finish about 7th or 8th.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Ali 75 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:25 am

I know Moores and Parry have met Owen's reps B.N, it is just down to the fee between the two clubs. Liverpool want him on loan for a season, they plan to pay for him next year - it's now just up to Real to accept or not.

As for Spurs, I think they are our main rivals for 4th place.
Ali 75

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:23 am

I think that's 2 points dropped for us on Sunday Ali. It was a frustrating game to watch, especially as Middlesbrough played like the away team. I just couldn't believe that with 30 seconds to go they preferred to take a short corner rather than stick the ball in the box. Their lack of ambition was pathetic. Maybe everyone will be happy with a draw against us now we're European Champs!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:10 pm

It was frustrating. I really wanted Gerrard to just get a goal for his efforts but alas, only a draw
Sideshow Meg

Postby Hector » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:54 am

I'm loving the footy this year. I'm dissapointed ManUtd didn't beat Chelsea, but full credit to Jose who was tactically better on the day.

What is happening Liverpool? Start of this season, all I heard from pundits was Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool. They seemed to be the fave's to win. Everyone seemed to think Chelse would struggle and no one even mentioned Arsenal or Man Utd. I could not understand why this was.

Liverpool might still win the title, I don't know, but at the moment they are struggling. What made them such a hot tip in the first instance?
Hector

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:03 pm

Yeah it's been a good season for the neutral so far, with Man Utd having a good old go at Chelski. Nice to see that no matter how much they spend they can't completely walk all over every other team. Jose did out maneuver Ferguson tactically on Sunday though. Man Utd needed to kill the game first half but only got one goal and ended up paying for it.

As for Liverpool I think many people fancied them as they brought in a number of players, a number of whom people (and I include myself) thought were on the brink of great things. Bellamy for example had a great season at Blackburn last year and I for one thought that this year, in a top class side, he could make the transistion to "world class." Whilst he has played well, I don't think he's there yet. Rafa also seems to be insistent on playing Gerrard out of position, when really the team needs him in the middle of the park bossing the match.

I'm a Spurs fan myself and after after an inconsistent start to the season we now seem to be picking up wins and getting the goals. Looks like it will be a close one for the European places though with the chasing pack so close to each other, 5 points between 3rd and 10th I think it is.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:17 am

Nice to see this thread (which was actually started at the beginning of last season! :lol: ) resurrected.

I'm a Liverpool fan and yes, I fully expected an honest-to-goodness title challenge this year. I don't think the signings have been that great (Aurelio; Pennant) or have fulfilled their potential yet (Bellamy; Kuyt). Also Rafa's obviously been guilty of messing around with the team too much, in particular playing Gerrard all over the shop (he played him on the left wing one week) instead of the central position in which he is most effective.

I've also been appaled at his shoddy treatment of Peter Crouch. That guy has been on fire for England this year yet for some reason Rafa doesn't see him as an automatic starter. On the odd occasion he's actually started him he's dragged him off before 60 minutes in many cases.

As a Liverpool fan, I just wish he'd pick our best players in their best positions and stick to it. Grnted the title has gone now but with Arsenal floundering 3rd spot is up for grabs this year.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Hector » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:21 pm

The title hasn't gone!! Liverpool are what 16 points behind the leaders and we're only just half way through the season. If they have 3 solid months of good footy they will be back in it by March.

I remember, a few years back, ManU were leading the league by a gap of 20-something points after Christmas and Arsenal stormed past us to win both league and FA cup. It can be done.
Hector

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:34 am

I can't see both Man Utd and Celski dropping enough points to let either Liverpool or Arsenal back into it. Depressing day for me today as a Spurs fan, losing 3-0 to Arsenal, via two dubious penalties and an offside goal. We didn't play well but to lose by so much and for all the goals to be unfair is irratating. Made worse by the fact that the 11-a-side and 5-a-side football teams I play for both lost so not a great week footy wise :(

What does anyone interested in football think about Larson going to Man Utd? Inspired loan signing or desperation from Fergie?

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:13 pm

Hector wrote:The title hasn't gone!! Liverpool are what 16 points behind the leaders and we're only just half way through the season. If they have 3 solid months of good footy they will be back in it by March.

I remember, a few years back, ManU were leading the league by a gap of 20-something points after Christmas and Arsenal stormed past us to win both league and FA cup. It can be done.

Ah yes, but Arsenal (who were actually just 12 points behind back in 1998) only had one team to chase. Arsenal went on a 10-game winning streak (including a 1-0 win at Old Trafford) and Man U dropped a few points here and there to enable them to overhaul their lead. Actually, Newcastle were in an identical position in the 95/96 season and Man U overhauled their 12-point lead on that occasion (including, co-incidentally, a 1-0 win at St James' Park).

I can't ever remember a team overhauling a 16 point lead back from one team, let alone two.

Asking Man U and Chelsea to, in effect, lose 5 games each to enable Liverpool to catch them (while winning every game ourselves!) is asking a little too much I feel.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:20 pm

Davey Boy wrote:I can't see both Man Utd and Celski dropping enough points to let either Liverpool or Arsenal back into it. Depressing day for me today as a Spurs fan, losing 3-0 to Arsenal, via two dubious penalties and an offside goal. We didn't play well but to lose by so much and for all the goals to be unfair is irratating. Made worse by the fact that the 11-a-side and 5-a-side football teams I play for both lost so not a great week footy wise :(

Yeah, I was hoping Spurs would do us a favour yesterday but 'lucky Arsenal' (minus Henry, worryingly) won the day. It was good to see Liverpool grabbing a convincing away win for a change, I just hope we can build on that now (but how many times have I said THAT this season!)

Davey Boy wrote:What does anyone interested in football think about Larson going to Man Utd? Inspired loan signing or desperation from Fergie?

I think it's quite a sensible move from both parties. It's only a 10-week deal to if it doesn't work out (and lets be honest, at 35 he's hardly going to set the Premiership alight) Man U aren't lumbered with a big wage bill.

I think Fergie will use him sparingly. Saha and Rooney will obviously still be first choice, with Solskjaar and Larson as backup.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:27 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I think it's quite a sensible move from both parties. It's only a 10-week deal to if it doesn't work out (and lets be honest, at 35 he's hardly going to set the Premiership alight) Man U aren't lumbered with a big wage bill.

I think Fergie will use him sparingly. Saha and Rooney will obviously still be first choice, with Solskjaar and Larson as backup.

Yeah I echo your thoughts. I think Ferguson will be looking to use him as an impact player, a la Solsjaer and Sheringham in the Treble year. Tough match, 60 minutes gone, bring on Larson and I think he could make the difference. No matter how old he is he can still be important and play well for 30-45 minutes.

Davey Boy

Postby Hector » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:13 am

Whoa!! You know you history BN :D

I always like to hope that the top five teams will cancel each other out a bit to keep things interesting. But I guess, in the last few years, the winning has rarely lost more than 3/4 games. Which is a shame.
Hector

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:14 pm

Some people are starting to rate the Championship very highly in terms of an exciting league where the results are unpredictable. At the start the season it's hard to gauge who will be pushing for promotion and who will be in the relegation zone as the sides are all similar quality wise. Sadly the Premiership is coming very predictable and separeted into mini leagues e.g.

1st, 2nd and 3rd (choose 3 from Chelski, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal)
4th- 15th (most of the teams fall into this bracket and could easily finish 5th one year then 15th the next)
16th-20th (choose 2 of 3 promoted clubs and maybe another two who have lost a manger, made poor signings etc.)

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:30 pm

Hector wrote:Whoa!! You know you history BN :D

I always like to hope that the top five teams will cancel each other out a bit to keep things interesting. But I guess, in the last few years, the winning has rarely lost more than 3/4 games. Which is a shame.

Cheers Hector!

I lived through those seasons - I remember watching the Newcastle/Man U title decider at St James' in the pub back in 1996 - Cantona's goal was a heartbreaker but Peter Schmeichel was man of the match.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Hector » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Hell yes, Beer!! I remember that game, I still have the official Man Utd (magazine) match report for it.

Tell me, was that the same year that Newcastle and Liverpool (I think it was) had those colosal (clash of the titan type) matches ...one of which finished 4-3 with goals flying in, in the last 5 minutes??

The game certainly looked different then. I don't know if you have any old videos, but there were still quite a few belly's running around on the pitch. Where as today everyone is very, very lean and not quite as physically imposing.
Hector

Postby Davey Boy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:29 pm

Ooo yeah I remember the spate of Liverpool-Newcastle matches that were all classics! There was one that was 4-3 and I believe one of the teams (can't remember which) came from two behind at the end to drastically win...

Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:32 am

Hector wrote:Hell yes, Beer!! I remember that game, I still have the official Man Utd (magazine) match report for it.

Tell me, was that the same year that Newcastle and Liverpool (I think it was) had those colosal (clash of the titan type) matches ...one of which finished 4-3 with goals flying in, in the last 5 minutes??

The game certainly looked different then. I don't know if you have any old videos, but there were still quite a few belly's running around on the pitch. Where as today everyone is very, very lean and not quite as physically imposing.

Oh, I'll never forget those games! The first one was the real classic, and yes, I do have the video! (Kings of the 'Castle! :lol: ). The context of that match (April 3rd, 1996) was that Man U were in the process of reducing Newcastle's 12 point lead and Newcastle had lost or drawn a series of games from being in front. Robbie Fowler opened the scoring on just 2 minutes, but Newcastle pulled it back through Les Ferdinand to lead 2-1 at half time. Robbie Fowler levelled at 2-2 just after the break before Tino Asprilla made it 3-2 to Newcastle with about 20 minutes to go. Stan Collymore (remember him?) made it 3-3 on 80 minutes and the game looked to be headed for a draw. Roy Evans brought Ian Rush on with 5 minutes to go and it was a passing move between him and fellow LFC legend John Barnes on the edge of the box which brought the injury-time winner. Barnes saw Collymore racing in from the left-side of the penalty area and threaded a perfect pass for him to run onto and shoot. Cue Martin Tyler's famous commentary - "Collymore closing IIINNNNN!!!!" :lol: The camera pans around to a dejected Kevin Keegan with his head on the advertising boards and a disbelieving Terry Mac. Hurrah! Hands-down, the best game I've ever seen live.

The 4-3 the following year was nowhere near as good a game but had an equally dramatic conclusion. Liverpool were 3-0 up at half time and cruising. Newcastle pulled it back to 3-3 with just a few minutes to go due to some cronic Reds defending. Then Stig Bjornebye floated a perfect cross for Robbie Fowler to run on to and head into the net in injury time. Amazing stuff.
Mr Blue Sky

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion