Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Frasier Episode You Watched.

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

The Last Frasier Episode You Watched.

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:45 am

Dial M For Martin

Yes, I just happened to watch my favourite ever episode this evening before I came into work! I love everything about this episode. It's set in one of my favourite era's in the show's history (while Frasier is unemployed) and opens with one of the classic Frasier/Martin 'fights'. John Mahoney in particular cracks me up all the way through this ep. His conversation with Niles at Nervosa is superb "Of course it can't be too small - I've got to have a room for Daphne!" but he just gets funnier and funnier as paranoia about Niles' behaviour towards him takes a hold. The look on his face when he's almost impaled on Niles' pruning shears and when the bathroom 'safety rail' breaks is priceless. My favourite scene however is the near-silent 'Home Alone' segment when Frasier returns home to his bachelor pad. The way he walks around stroking the furniture and caressing his bottle of wine is just wonderful. Re-playing the answer-machine message over and over was a lovely touch, too.

The final scene is a bit of a re-tread from Rob Greenberg's previous classic Three Dates and A Breakup but I actually prefer this scene as it's more condensed and funnier. I never fail to laugh when Frasier asks his underwear model date to "Step over my father and help yourself to some wine" before the inevitable brush-off.

Wonderful, wonderful ep which remains my favourite to this day.

10/10.
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Stratman » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:39 am

Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last Frasier...
User avatar
Stratman
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:00 am

Stratman wrote:Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last Frasier...


Hehe, well like you've said; there's just too much good TV out there for you to spend your time watching repeats! I'd be in the same boat (I've got tonnes of backlogged TV to watch) except other people in my house get control of the TV so I'm shunted off upstaires to watch the DVD...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Stratman » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:03 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last Frasier...


Hehe, well like you've said; there's just too much good TV out there for you to spend your time watching repeats! I'd be in the same boat (I've got tonnes of backlogged TV to watch) except other people in my house get control of the TV so I'm shunted off upstaires to watch the DVD...


It wouldn't hurt to revisit an old classic every once in a while, though.
User avatar
Stratman
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:07 am

Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last Frasier...


Hehe, well like you've said; there's just too much good TV out there for you to spend your time watching repeats! I'd be in the same boat (I've got tonnes of backlogged TV to watch) except other people in my house get control of the TV so I'm shunted off upstaires to watch the DVD...


It wouldn't hurt to revisit an old classic every once in a while, though.


It surprises me how you retain so much of the show in your head - there can't be much room left up there with the massive amount of TV shows you consume! I'm guessing you have a Frasier-like knowledge of a few other shows too (like The Simpsons and Seinfeld).
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Stratman » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:18 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last Frasier...


Hehe, well like you've said; there's just too much good TV out there for you to spend your time watching repeats! I'd be in the same boat (I've got tonnes of backlogged TV to watch) except other people in my house get control of the TV so I'm shunted off upstaires to watch the DVD...


It wouldn't hurt to revisit an old classic every once in a while, though.


It surprises me how you retain so much of the show in your head - there can't be much room left up there with the massive amount of TV shows you consume! I'm guessing you have a Frasier-like knowledge of a few other shows too (like The Simpsons and Seinfeld).


It's in the vault!
User avatar
Stratman
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:23 am

Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last Frasier...


Hehe, well like you've said; there's just too much good TV out there for you to spend your time watching repeats! I'd be in the same boat (I've got tonnes of backlogged TV to watch) except other people in my house get control of the TV so I'm shunted off upstaires to watch the DVD...


It wouldn't hurt to revisit an old classic every once in a while, though.


It surprises me how you retain so much of the show in your head - there can't be much room left up there with the massive amount of TV shows you consume! I'm guessing you have a Frasier-like knowledge of a few other shows too (like The Simpsons and Seinfeld).


It's in the vault!


Any others?
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Stratman » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:34 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last Frasier...


Hehe, well like you've said; there's just too much good TV out there for you to spend your time watching repeats! I'd be in the same boat (I've got tonnes of backlogged TV to watch) except other people in my house get control of the TV so I'm shunted off upstaires to watch the DVD...


It wouldn't hurt to revisit an old classic every once in a while, though.


It surprises me how you retain so much of the show in your head - there can't be much room left up there with the massive amount of TV shows you consume! I'm guessing you have a Frasier-like knowledge of a few other shows too (like The Simpsons and Seinfeld).


It's in the vault!


Any others?


My knowledge can be tough because ''every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.'' :wink:
User avatar
Stratman
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:36 am

Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been six months since my last Frasier...


Hehe, well like you've said; there's just too much good TV out there for you to spend your time watching repeats! I'd be in the same boat (I've got tonnes of backlogged TV to watch) except other people in my house get control of the TV so I'm shunted off upstaires to watch the DVD...


It wouldn't hurt to revisit an old classic every once in a while, though.


It surprises me how you retain so much of the show in your head - there can't be much room left up there with the massive amount of TV shows you consume! I'm guessing you have a Frasier-like knowledge of a few other shows too (like The Simpsons and Seinfeld).


It's in the vault!


Any others?


My knowledge can be tough because ''every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.'' :wink:


:lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Wezzo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:50 am

I generally manage at least two Frasier episodes per week: with the family on Sundays.

This week, it was "Sleepign With The Enemy" and "The Adventures of Bad Boy and Dirty Girl". They were better than I remembered, and among my favourite Kate Costas episodes. A
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:32 am

I watched two Frasier episodes last night:

Room Service: My favourite episode featuring Lilith, who always brings a wonderful presence to the show. The way the writer engendered the situation so the waiter caught a different two people in the bedroom each time was particularly funny, as was Niles and Lilith sleeping together and being caught by Frasier.

Halloween: Great episode - loads to enjoy here, but I haven't got time to go into detail now.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:26 am

High Crane Drifter

I love that one.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
User avatar
Bee Gees Fan
 
Posts: 11385
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:46 pm

Wezzo wrote:I generally manage at least two Frasier episodes per week: with the family on Sundays.

This week, it was "Sleepign With The Enemy" and "The Adventures of Bad Boy and Dirty Girl". They were better than I remembered, and among my favourite Kate Costas episodes. A


I think She's The Boss was never bettered in the Kate Costas era, I think its a true classic. IMO, they got progressively (but only slightly) worse as they went on. By the tenth ep of the season I was glad she'd gone. I think they over-used her tbh. If they'd been a bit more sparing with her appearences and not based just about every early season episode around her she could have been a successful recurring character. I always preferred her to Kenny.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:47 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I watched two Frasier episodes last night:

Room Service: My favourite episode featuring Lilith, who always brings a wonderful presence to the show. The way the writer engendered the situation so the waiter caught a different two people in the bedroom each time was particularly funny, as was Niles and Lilith sleeping together and being caught by Frasier.

Halloween: Great episode - loads to enjoy here, but I haven't got time to go into detail now.


Both classics!

Tell me Cakey - do you tend to 'cherry pick' eps to watch these days rather than watching a season straight through?
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:47 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:High Crane Drifter

I love that one.


Counter-suit! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Nervosa » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:48 pm

The Pilot. I'm thinking of running through all of S1-4 in preparation for S5 being released.
User avatar
Nervosa
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:33 am

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:21 pm

I think She's The Boss was never bettered in the Kate Costas era, I think its a true classic. IMO, they got progressively (but only slightly) worse as they went on. By the tenth ep of the season I was glad she'd gone. I think they over-used her tbh. If they'd been a bit more sparing with her appearences and not based just about every early season episode around her she could have been a successful recurring character. I always preferred her to Kenny


It's funny because I completely agree with you. I've always rated 'She's the Boss' as a genuine classic (I gave it 87% on the review page) and I stand wholeheartedly by that. I think Frasier and Kate established a really wordy, witty relationship in this episode, and I think subsequent episodes lacked the verbal intelligent spark presented here.

Both classics!

Tell me Cakey - do you tend to 'cherry pick' eps to watch these days rather than watching a season straight through?


It depends really, on how much time I've got. I tend to watch the episode's in chronological order during school holiday's, and sometimes at the weekends, when I've got nothing to do. Otherwise, I tend to 'cherry pick' the episode in accordance to my mood and choose them completely at random. The last season I watched in its entirity was Season 6 last month, and I can honestly say that it gets better with every watch - so much so I'm prepared to clump it together on a par with the five 'classic' five season's. It's the DVD I've watched most of the nine season's I currently own.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Wezzo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:22 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I think She's The Boss was never bettered in the Kate Costas era, I think its a true classic. IMO, they got progressively (but only slightly) worse as they went on. By the tenth ep of the season I was glad she'd gone. I think they over-used her tbh. If they'd been a bit more sparing with her appearences and not based just about every early season episode around her she could have been a successful recurring character. I always preferred her to Kenny.


Hm, our opinions differ here - I honestly couldn't stand her in She's the Boss, but she'd grown on me by mid-S3 (and this applies to my repeat viewings as well). I will agree she was overused, and I was pleased she didn't last any longer, too.

I liked Kenny better though.

FWIW, I started a run through from the start of S1 in August with the family: we've been watching two every Sunday, and four or five every other Saturday. It's quite fun to see them all from the start again (although I've seen S1-2 probably 10-15 times in two years now..) and spreading them out means that a) you don't get bored and b) there's plenty of time to watch other DVDs (which I definitely need to do!)
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:31 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
I think She's The Boss was never bettered in the Kate Costas era, I think its a true classic. IMO, they got progressively (but only slightly) worse as they went on. By the tenth ep of the season I was glad she'd gone. I think they over-used her tbh. If they'd been a bit more sparing with her appearences and not based just about every early season episode around her she could have been a successful recurring character. I always preferred her to Kenny


It's funny because I completely agree with you. I've always rated 'She's the Boss' as a genuine classic (I gave it 87% on the review page) and I stand wholeheartedly by that. I think Frasier and Kate established a really wordy, witty relationship in this episode, and I think subsequent episodes lacked the verbal intelligent spark presented here.

Both classics!

Tell me Cakey - do you tend to 'cherry pick' eps to watch these days rather than watching a season straight through?


It depends really, on how much time I've got. I tend to watch the episode's in chronological order during school holiday's, and sometimes at the weekends, when I've got nothing to do. Otherwise, I tend to 'cherry pick' the episode in accordance to my mood and choose them completely at random. The last season I watched in its entirity was Season 6 last month, and I can honestly say that it gets better with every watch - so much so I'm prepared to clump it together on a par with the five 'classic' five season's. It's the DVD I've watched most of the nine season's I currently own.


That's the season I'm currently re-watching. It's surprised me how many of them I'm enjoying from the early (weaker) part of the season. I always thought Frasier's Curse and Hot Ticket were two of the weakest eps that season but I thoroughly enjoyed both of them!

I'll post my thoughts on HT a little later...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:32 pm

Wezzo wrote:I started a run through from the start of S1 in August with the family: we've been watching two every Sunday, and four or five every other Saturday. It's quite fun to see them all from the start again (although I've seen S1-2 probably 10-15 times in two years now..) and spreading them out means that a) you don't get bored and b) there's plenty of time to watch other DVDs (which I definitely need to do!)


Sounds like a good system! It's nice to watch them with the family. :)
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Wezzo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:34 pm

Indeed; it's not a 'cool' thing when you're my age to watch telly with the family, but I'd feel like I was missing out if I let them borrow the DVDs and didn't watch them myself! :lol:
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:36 pm

I like happy families around the TV. It's so sweet and innocent...it reminds me again of the 1950s/1960s.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
User avatar
Bee Gees Fan
 
Posts: 11385
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:40 pm

I can say for a fact that I would never have gotten into 'Frasier' if it hadn't been for my Mum and step-dad. It was their favourite programme for years (although they stopped watching during Season 8), but they were able to relive the older episodes with me via the DVD's.

I watched most of the first five season's with them, and we all really, really enjoyed watching them together. We even took the DVD's on holiday to watch. However, unfortunately they've moved on again... and now prefer to watch 'Curb your Enthusiasm' with me instead.

My Dad hates it however... although he's never ever seen it.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Wezzo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:48 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:However, unfortunately they've moved on again... and now prefer to watch 'Curb your Enthusiasm' with me instead.


I'd be really uncomfortable watching the likes of Beloved Aunt and Krazee-Eyes Killah with the 'rents!
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:49 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I can say for a fact that I would never have gotten into 'Frasier' if it hadn't been for my Mum and step-dad. It was their favourite programme for years (although they stopped watching during Season 8), but they were able to relive the older episodes with me via the DVD's.

I watched most of the first five season's with them, and we all really, really enjoyed watching them together. We even took the DVD's on holiday to watch. However, unfortunately they've moved on again... and now prefer to watch 'Curb your Enthusiasm' with me instead.

My Dad hates it however... although he's never ever seen it.


it's been the complete opposite for me - I just can't convince my parents that they'd enjoy a US sitcom! They can be very close-minded.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Next

Return to Frasier Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.