Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best 'Frasier' Farce

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best 'Frasier' Farce

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:14 pm

Please read my other thread 'Frasier Forum Awards - The Rules' in order to know all about the voting process.

IMPORTANT: I have decided to return to the ‘Frasier Forum Award – Nomination’ threads once again, and they will be running alongside the ultimate polls. Whether or not it’s a good idea to run the two simultaneously remains to be seen – but let’s hope so. Don’t forget the nomination process is very different to the recent polls that have been running, and require you to list your five personal choices for the category in question. There will be a poll in the near future that relates to the results of this nomination process. I hope that all makes sense – please let me know if it doesn’t! I think with having a break, and starting the more interesting polls, people’s interest may have been reborn.

Don't worry - I still haven't forgotten/neglected the 'Best Moments' threads for Roz, Daphne and Eddie (how many times have I said that?), and I promise you'll have the opportunity to vote in this categories very soon indeed.

I am going to ask everyone to nominate their Top 5 farcical episodes of 'Frasier', and the episodes with the most nominations will make the eventual shortlist and contend for the ultimate award. The 5 episodes with the most votes will make the shortlist for the award, and when the final shortlist is published, you will have another chance to vote in this category, which, unlike this thread, will operate as a poll.

Here are some of the options you may want to consider, although I suppose this poll is extremely subjective:
· The Matchmaker (Season 2)
· The Innkeepers (Season 2)
· The Two Mrs Cranes (Season 4)
· To Kill a Talking Bird (Season 4)
· Ham Radio (Season 4)
· Halloween (Season 5)
· The Ski Lodge (Season 5)
· The Seal who came to Dinner (Season 6)
· Merry Christmas Mrs Moscowitz (Season 6)
· Decoys (Season 6)
· Taps at the Montana (Season 6)
· Out with Dad (Season 7)
· It takes two to Tangle (Season 8)
· Daphne Does Dinner (Season 10)
· The Doctor is Out

Above are just some suggestions, but there's probably lots of scenes I've missed out. I have a feeling that what constitutes as farce for me may differ greatly from person to person. Anyway, here's my list;

BEST ‘FRASIER’ FARCE
1) The Ski Lodge (Simply the ultimate farce… tightly plotted and intricately crafted. It’s got misunderstandings galore, breakdowns of communication and everybody wildly running though doors. It’s not the most hilarious episode of ‘Frasier’, but as a piece of farcical comedy is sublime)
2) The Matchmaker (Oddly, this episode is my second favourite of Keenan’s ‘gay trilogy’, but the reason it gets second place is because it laid the foundations for ‘Out with Dad’ and ‘The Doctor is Out’. Many people also say that Keenan’s farces helped to define the show, and I think this episode does that wonderfully)
3) The Two Mrs Cranes (Another Keenan episode, and another superb piece of farce, this time playing on the hilarious idea of people pretending to be somebody their not, and Niles in his element married to Daphne, Frasier being married to Maris and Martin being an astronaut is just brilliant. I think its Keenan’s strongest overall episode (although I think the two above are most successful as demonstrating farce).
4) Halloween (Another series of chaotic misunderstanding and misinterpretations, leading Niles to fear that Frasier has got Daphne pregnant amongst other things. Its consistently hilarious, and the best example of non-Keenan farce)
5) The Innkeepers (Can you call this episode a farce? What the hell… the opening catastrophic night of the Crane’s restaurant is brilliant, with everybody getting further and further out of their depth, Daphne killing eels, the cherries, the rapid exit of the chefs and the arrival of Gil’s restaurant critics, superb stuff)

I’d imagine you’re wondering why I haven’t nominated ‘Ham Radio’ – fair question. Two reasons, one being that I can’t stand to see it win yet another bloody award (!) and the second being that, although I deem it as a chaotic masterpiece, with some utterly genius moments, I don’t feel it is the best example of farce, not being particularly tightly plotted for example.

That was really, really difficult, and I really wish I'd had the room to include 'Ham Radio’ and 'Out with Dad', which deserve honourable mentions, because they're both wonderfully lively episodes too. Think carefully about the episodes you nominate, and let's hope your episodes make the eventual shortlist. Get voting! Thanks.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:20 pm

My five:

The Innkeepers

The Ski Lodge

The Matchmaker

The Two Mrs Cranes

Ham Radio

If I could choose a sixth, I'd choose To Kill a Talking Bird.

I have a feeling that Ham Radio won't win this one, so I am no longer this episode. I'll announce that I am the winning episode when the poll is over.

See, there's no way I can lose.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:22 pm

· The Two Mrs Cranes
· The Matchmaker
· The Ski Lodge
· The Innkeepers
· Ham Radio
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:56 pm

My five:

1) The Ski Lodge
2) The Matchmaker
3) Out With Dad
4) The Doctor Is Out
5) Halloween
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:38 pm

I think...

The Matchmaker
The Innkeepers
The Two Mrs Cranes
Halloween
Merry Christmas, Mrs Moskowitz

I've always found 'The Ski Lodge' to be curiously overrated. I can see it's technically a work of art, but it just doesn't make me laugh that much.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:I always found 'The Ski Lodge' to be curiously overrated. I can see it's technically a work of art, but it just doesn't make me laugh that much.

Interesting...

I think the situation makes me laugh the most, I know it's not particularly joke-laden. Having said that, it does contain this wonderful line:

Niles: When we were courting, I sent Maris a valentine that said, "You're the girl my heart adores, Everything I have is yours." Now they're calling it a pre-nup.

:lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I think the situation makes me laugh the most

I think it's the same with me. I loved how all of them fancied someone else, and had no idea that the objects of their affection were all interested in another person. And I loved all of the running into the wrong rooms, and all the misunderstandings that occurred.

I also love the line you quoted as well.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby !Amz! » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:44 pm

1. The Inkeepers
2. The Two Mrs Cranes
3. Ham Radio
4. Merry Christmas Mrs Moscowitz
5. The Doctor Is Out

I was going to put in The Ski Lodge but I've only seen it once when I was ill and wasn't paying to much attention!
!Amz!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:55 pm

!Amz! wrote:1. The Inkeepers
2. The Two Mrs Cranes
3. Ham Radio
4. Merry Christmas Mrs Moscowitz
5. The Doctor Is Out

I was going to put in The Ski Lodge but I've only seen it once when I was ill and wasn't paying to much attention!

Watch it again mate - it's great!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:53 pm

!Amz! wrote:I was going to put in The Ski Lodge but I've only seen it once when I was ill and wasn't paying to much attention!

I concur with BN - do try to watch it again, if you can! :)

Bee Gees Fan

Postby welshben23 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:31 pm

1- Halloween
2- The Innkeepers
3- The Ski Lodge
4- The Matchmaker
5- Merry Christmas Mrs Moscowitz.
welshben23

Postby !Amz! » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:09 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
!Amz! wrote:I was going to put in The Ski Lodge but I've only seen it once when I was ill and wasn't paying to much attention!

I concur with BN - do try to watch it again, if you can! :)

Will do! :)
!Amz!

Postby Wezzo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:06 pm

1. Ham Radio
2. The Two Mrs Cranes
3. The Matchmaker
4. The Doctor Is Out
5. Halloween
Wezzo

Postby DHP » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:04 pm

I agree, I can't put The Ski Lodge on the principle that it doesn't make me laugh as much as some of the others mentioned do.

1) The Matchmaker
2) An Affair to Forget
3) The Two Mrs Cranes
4) Ham Radio
5) Halloween
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby citystreets » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:14 pm

1. The Two Mrs Cranes
2. Halloween
3. The Matchmaker
4. The Innkeepers
5. The Doctor is Out
Frasier: Yes, I've seen your log, and I’ve dated every toad on it!
citystreets

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes