Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier Forum Awards - Best Supporting Character - Vote now!

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Vote for your favourite supporting character in 'Frasier'. The winner will receive the 'Frasier Forum Award' for this category

Poll ended at Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:43 pm

1) Bon 'Bulldog' Briscoe (Dan Butler)
42%
2) Bebe Glazer (Harriet Samson-Harris)
17%
3) Gil Chesterton (Edward Hibbert)
42%
4) Dr. Lilith Sternin (Bebe Neuwirth)
No votes
5) Sherry Dempsey (Marsha Mason)
No votes

Total votes : 12

Frasier Forum Awards - Best Supporting Character - Vote now!

Postby Cake for Brains » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:43 pm

I’ll start by thanking everybody who showed interest in the recent ‘Worst Episode Poll’, which ended last Thursday, and although the winner (A Day in May) deserved to its victory, I think the poll was still worth conducting. Having said that, it would be great if these ‘Awards’ threads attracted a tad more interest though – as only eight people (nine including myself) cast their votes, and it would be nicer to have a more distinct and diverse representation of opinion. However, this third poll is arguably one of the most important of all – and this time we’re looking for the forum’s favourite supporting character/recurring character in ‘Frasier’. With such an entourage of interesting, eccentric and colourful personalities cropping up over the eleven year run, and it is important we find our favourite, whether it be a relative, a KACL worker, a love interest, etc. Unlike the previous ‘Forum Awards’ threads than ran in the summer, the ‘Best Frasier Supporting Character’ is going to operate as a poll, and you will have the opportunity to vote for your personal favourite secondary character from the five nominations given above, which are the protagonists that received the highest number of votes. This time, you are not posting a list of nominations, because the names which triumphs in this poll will be named ‘Favourite Secondary Character’, and will hopefully represent this forum’s views accurately. I am going to allow this poll to run for a week, before the winner is announced next Wednesday (11th October 2006).

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. Otherwise, happy voting everyone. Please, we need as many people to give imput as possible in order to provide an interesting poll!

The Five ‘Favourite Supporting Characters’ at the moment are:
1) Bob ‘Bulldog’ Briscoe (Dan Butler) (21 votes)
2) Bebe Glazer (Harriet Samson-Harris) (21 votes)
3) Gil Chesterton (Edward Hibbert) (20 votes)
4) Dr Lilith Sternin (Bebe Neuwirth) (18 votes)
5) Sherry Dempsey (Marsha Mason) (9 votes)

Below is a list of interesting statistics (well I thought so) concerning the voting progress. The number allocated in brackets next to the supporting character indicates how many votes they received. There were a total of 18 characters voted for, which (again) represents the diversity of this forum. I, feel particularly smug however, because my nominations for the category have formed the final shortlist, which I’m pretty happy about. Therefore, the five secondary characters that have made the final list are all absolutely wonderful in terms of ‘Frasier’ standards, and there aren’t really any surprise additions amongst them. I think the final compilation of nominations is brilliant – and the most consistently hilarious and colourful personalities have qualified. I am particularly happy with this shortlist, because I think it will be the first really interesting poll we’ve done, because (looking at the nominations now) there is now clear winner that jumps out at you. The ‘Best Episode’ poll was instance was really predictable and ‘Ham Radio’ was the obvious victor, whereas it was hard to really take an interest in the ‘Worst Episode Poll’ because all of the episodes were so terrible, you couldn’t really care what won, because they were all utter rubbish by ‘Frasier’ standards. I am delighted therefore to be able to say that I am unable to even hazard a prediction as to what will triumph on this poll, because (due to the fact that the votes on the first four are so close), it really could go anyway and to anyone. I think the winner will be a surprise (or at least I hope it will)

Characters voted for:

Gil Chesterton (20)
Dr Lilith Sternin (18)
Sherry Dempsey (9)
Bebe Glazer (21)
Bob ‘Bulldog’ Briscoe (21)
Ronee Lawrence (5)
Kenny Daily (6)
Kate Costas (2)
Mel Karnofsky (5)
Noel Shempsky (4)
Marta (Maris’ housemaid) (1)
Simon Moon (2)
Lorna Gardner (1)
Charlotte (1)
Maris Crane (2)
Roz Doyle (1)
Daphne’s father from ‘Moons Over Seattle’ (1)
Annie from ‘The Ski Lodge’ (1)

Although not all of the supporting characters to have appeared in ‘Frasier’ get a voice in the final shortlist – I can’t say I am particularly affecting by such omissions as Mrs Moon for example, so in conclusion I think there’s a pretty strong set of results. I wish I’d voted for Maris in hindsight though, because she was the definitive comedy monster, and I don’t think Roz qualifies as a supporting character, because she appeared in every episode (bar two in Season 11) and therefore surely constitutes as one of the regular ensemble cast. Again, I don’t really think Daphne’s father or Annie from ‘Moons over Seattle’ and ‘The Ski Lodge’ respective can really be justified to appear on this list, because they only appeared in one episode each. Anyway, I’ve thought long and hard about my choice, but in the end, I had to go for Edward Hibbert’s marvellous portrayal of snobby restaurant critic Gil Chesterton. Gil’s presence is always a bonus in an episode, and with such memorable appearances as his outing support speech to Frasier in ‘The Doctor is Out’ to his infamous ‘Boyhood in Surrey’ speech in ‘Ham Radio’, he surely deserves the honour. But who will you vote for?
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Nervosa » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:39 pm

I vote "Bon" Briscoe! :lol:
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Cake for Brains » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:42 pm

I vote "Bon" Briscoe!

Oops! :D
Cake for Brains

Postby !Amz! » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:51 pm

Bebe all the way :D
!Amz!

Postby DHP » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:52 pm

Almost went for Lilith as I feel her character is much more rounded than any of the others, bringing both great comedy and great emotion to the show.

However, I had to go with Bulldog. His moments can often be second only to Niles, and sometimes he even steals the show!
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby citystreets » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:57 pm

Bebe, no question!
Frasier: Yes, I've seen your log, and I’ve dated every toad on it!
citystreets

Postby Wezzo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:41 pm

I want to vote Bulldog. Where's Bulldog?! This stinks! This is total BS!

Oh, wait.. there he is.
Wezzo

Postby DHP » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:19 pm

Not much love for Sherry I see. Was anyone else glad they chucked her in Season 5? I thought there were some funny episodes, but I thought she was basically way too over-the-top to actually like, even in the Three Dates and a Break-up episode where although I know I'm meant to feel sorry for her, I just can't commit to liking her.
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:25 pm

I voted for Gil. There's just something about him that makes me laugh every time I see him. And his voice...so...pompous, so haughty...he can be quite ridiculous at times, but always hilarious.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:29 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I voted for Gil. There's just something about him that makes me laugh every time I see him. And his voice...so...pompous, so haughty...he can be quite ridiculous at times, but always hilarious.

I agree, he's great. It's underrated in Ham Radio compared to DHP's performance, but I do think Gil steals that show with his romping speech.
DHP

Postby Amber » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:47 am

Wezzo wrote:I want to vote Bulldog. Where's Bulldog?! This stinks! This is total BS!

Oh, wait.. there he is.

:lol: Haha

Bebe all the way

haha, she was my second choice, Bulldog first

"It's like the ninth circle of hell"
Bebe: Do you love this wedding of what?

"There's more important tings that money
Bebe: Yes, tere's power, but money can buy that.
Huge Frasier/Beatles fan ^_^

Martin: Daphne, I just thought of something funny - it took 3 Cranes to lift you!
Hungry Heart - After Daphne is helped up by Niles, Frasier and Martin.
Amber

Postby citystreets » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:35 am

DHP wrote:Not much love for Sherry I see. Was anyone else glad they chucked her in Season 5? I thought there were some funny episodes, but I thought she was basically way too over-the-top to actually like, even in the Three Dates and a Break-up episode where although I know I'm meant to feel sorry for her, I just can't commit to liking her.

I like Sherry a lot but compared to the other people listed, it's no surprise she wouldn't get any votes.
Frasier: Yes, I've seen your log, and I’ve dated every toad on it!
citystreets

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:21 pm

DHP wrote:It's underrated in Ham Radio compared to DHP's performance, but I do think Gil steals that show with his romping speech.

I think there are quite a few people who value Gil's performance really highly. I'm not sure who I prefer in that episode, Niles or Gil.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:28 pm

Gil for me, but I loved Sherry too.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:31 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
DHP wrote:It's underrated in Ham Radio compared to DHP's performance, but I do think Gil steals that show with his romping speech.

I think there are quite a few people who value Gil's performance really highly. I'm not sure who I prefer in that episode, Niles or Gil.

Frasier's performance was the standout for me.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:42 pm

Yes, he was great, as he almost always is.

Stratman wrote:Frasier's performance was the standout for me.

I've changed my mind, now, though. I think my performance was easily the best.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:41 pm

This poll closes tomorrow afternoon, and if it finishes like this, we're in a bit of a mess, with Gil and Bulldog tying for first place. It would be great if people who haven't voted yet would do so, because it would be good to have a clear winner.
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:46 pm

Can't help you mate, I've already voted for Gil.

I think it's possible to extend the poll if you edit your first post Cakey, but maybe that's a road you don't want to go down.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:01 pm

Well, I've ended the tie, Mr Bulldog, cherry popper extraordinaire just might win.
Stratman

Postby welshben23 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:28 pm

Stratman wrote:Well, I've ended the tie, Mr Bulldog, cherry popper extraordinaire just might win.

What took you so long!!? :lol: :D. (YAY 500 Posts!)
welshben23

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:41 pm

welshben23 wrote:(YAY 500 Posts!)

Congratulations, Ben. :)

They're tying again now. Can you imagine how disgusted Gil would be if he loses?

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Amber » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:25 pm

I can imagine Bulldogs reaction

Caller: Hey Bulldog! Congradulations on winning that poll! I-
Bulldog: Yeah whatever. Next!
Huge Frasier/Beatles fan ^_^

Martin: Daphne, I just thought of something funny - it took 3 Cranes to lift you!
Hungry Heart - After Daphne is helped up by Niles, Frasier and Martin.
Amber

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:13 am

Stratman wrote:Well, I've ended the tie, Mr Bulldog, cherry popper extraordinaire just might win.

Looks like a dead heat!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:34 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:

Looks like a dead heat!

I don't think I can handle Gil winning.
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:36 pm

The poll's finished, and we've got the nightmare scenario - a tie! I'm not too sure what to do about it, because the voting has closed/ended. It feels wrong having no distinct winner, but on the plus side at least we got into double figures this time with the number of votes that were cast. :D
Cake for Brains

Next

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes