Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Insomnia

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Insomnia

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:31 am

I've been having trouble sleeping for the past four nights (Waking up at about 2 or 3 in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep) and was wondering what do you do when you've got insomnia. I've tried everything - reading, listening to soft music, homework, tidying up, watching TV and nothing is working!

It's driving me mad!
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Wezzo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:35 am

Wow, that is strange - I've woken up the past three nights in the middle of the night too, something I otherwise never do. I haven't had trouble going back to sleep, but I do put the TV on for some virtual company - I can't get to sleep without some noise or something to concentrate on at the best of times. Looks like you've tried that too, though.. how about going through something systematic in your mind, like counting sheep but more interesting? Say, the kings and queens of England if you know them, or the episode titles of Frasier in order.. honestly, it works for me!
Wezzo

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:39 am

I think it's the effects of jet-lag wearing off, but I just keep waking up. I was playing Countdown this morning which was good fun because I got all the numbers rounds exactly right even though I can barely count!
Sideshow Meg

Postby Wezzo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:42 am

I think I've been waking up as we've got a new cat (the first since I was born) and it's either moving around or meowing. But I don't have a problem getting back to sleep, really. Do you feel tired the next night?
Wezzo

Postby Nervosa » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:58 am

For the past 3 months, I've been going to bed around 3/4 and sleeping till 12 or 1 next day! Now with the old school rountine back, I went at 12 last night and found I wasn't able to sleep a wink till about 5 or 6 this morning...then up at 7.30!

Perhaps you could try herbal sleeping tablets. Even if they didn't work, at least your mind will think there's something there to help you sleep and could speed the process up.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:01 am

Not really by night I'm still very much awake but during the day I'm tired. At the moemnt for instance, I'm shattered.
Sideshow Meg

Postby DHP » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:13 am

Thought this was a thread about the film when I saw it on the main menu. Anyone seen that? Wouldn't want to go without sleep for as long as Al Pacino did seeing the effects it had on him!
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Nervosa » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:34 pm

DHP wrote:Thought this was a thread about the film when I saw it on the main menu. Anyone seen that? Wouldn't want to go without sleep for as long as Al Pacino did seeing the effects it had on him!

I rented it 2 days ago believe it or not and I also thought this was about the film and got quite excited as I loved it! :lol:

Another great Pachino detective style movie.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Re: Insomnia

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:28 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:I've been having trouble sleeping for the past four nights (Waking up at about 2 or 3 in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep) and was wondering what do you do when you've got insomnia. I've tried everything - reading, listening to soft music, homework, tidying up, watching TV and nothing is working!

It's driving me mad!

I used to suffer a lot with this, and still do on the odd occasion. I've tried all sorts, from drinking warm milk with whisky to watching TV/listening to the radio for hours. All that just left me knackered.

The BEST advice I was given was simply to concentrate on relaxing every muscle in my body (more often than not, you're tense somewhere and don't realise it), then try and recall a holiday you've been on to some idyllic location (ideally a sun-kissed beach in the Caribbean, but a nice cottage in Cornwall should work just as well).

This usually does the trick for me. :)
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Nervosa » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:33 pm

In all seriousness, perhaps you should try drinking some alcohol before bed.

A glass of wine, or couple bottles of beer, or as BN says, maybe a shot of whiskey. That'd make anyone sleepy, especially if you're watching TV or all ready for bed. Watching Frasier and having a couple of beers puts me to sleep (Frasier gives you something to think about while lying in bed and the alcohol makes you relaxed and sleepy).
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:35 pm

DHP wrote:Thought this was a thread about the film when I saw it on the main menu. Anyone seen that? Wouldn't want to go without sleep for as long as Al Pacino did seeing the effects it had on him!

Hehe, 7 days and no sleep! At least he got to rest in the end, eh?

Great film, btw.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:58 pm

I very rarely have trouble sleeping anymore. I'm usually pushing the limits of time spent awake as it is.
Stratman

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:59 pm

I went to work last night for the first time since my holiday and slept soundly all night. I was so exhausted!
Sideshow Meg

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:03 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:I went to work last night for the first time since my holiday and slept soundly all night. I was so exhausted!

Sounds like my nights at work... :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:01 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Sideshow Meg wrote:I went to work last night for the first time since my holiday and slept soundly all night. I was so exhausted!

Sounds like my nights at work... :lol:

And my hour and a half lunch breaks.
Stratman

Postby Rodge » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:35 pm

I believe ther is a plant you can buy, which has leaves which have special properties!!
I have heard .. only heard by the way!!... that is a great way to make you sleep and you wake up bright and breezy in the morning. :lol:
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby pandeiro » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:33 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:I've been having trouble sleeping for the past four nights (Waking up at about 2 or 3 in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep) and was wondering what do you do when you've got insomnia. I've tried everything - reading, listening to soft music, homework, tidying up, watching TV and nothing is working!

It's driving me mad!

For many years I suffered insomnia, probably due to the strange hours I keep as a musician. My insomnia was brutal and it wasn't until I paid a visit to a Chinese herbalist doctor, who prescribed some herbs for me to boil and drink, that it finally ended.

Good luck getting over it.
"In short, he so buried himself in his books from twilight till daybreak and the days from dawn till dark; and so from little sleep and much reading, his brain dried up and he lost his wits."
pandeiro

Postby Nervosa » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:30 pm

Rob wrote:I believe ther is a plant you can buy, which has leaves which have special properties!!
I have heard .. only heard by the way!!... that is a great way to make you sleep and you wake up bright and breezy in the morning. :lol:

That's a really fun plant, Rob! :lol:
Nervosa

Postby tenpercenter » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:24 pm

tv is my sleeping pill

has been since i was 13.
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby welshben23 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:12 pm

A few of these resurrected threads are going to give me insomnia! :lol: Every time I notice the dates on them I keep thinking I walked into a time machine by accident somewhere.
welshben23

Postby insaneasperger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:08 pm

welshben23 wrote:A few of these resurrected threads are going to give me insomnia! :lol: Every time I notice the dates on them I keep thinking I walked into a time machine by accident somewhere.

You have Ben, its currently 2007 and we are not alone..... :wink: :lol:

I have insomnia, a lot, hardly ever sleep! Its actually rather annoying when its 5am you have to be up at 7am and have been trying to sleep since midnight
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby tenpercenter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:55 pm

havent slept well for 10 days. 1 night of good sleep , im a walking zombie, its hell

have never had this problem
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby JackE » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:37 pm

I don't get to sleep until about 3 unless I stick Frasier on the iPod. Bad habit, that I need to break.
"Oh yes Niles, that's just what we need, a fourth language!"

An Affair to Forget
JackE

Postby tenpercenter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:00 pm

i cant sleep
work in 2 hours
ah!!!!
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby barnaclelapse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:58 pm

I got like...an hour of sleep last night/this morning? It's made my adventures in downtown D.C. today very, very, very interesting.
barnaclelapse

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion