Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Season Premiere

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Season Premiere

Postby Cake for Brains » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:06 pm

Please read my other thread 'Frasier Forum Awards - The Rules' in order to know all about the voting process.

Don't worry - I haven't forgotten the 'Best Moments' threads for Roz, Daphne and Eddie, but I think we need a change in order to keep the voting lively. I will start the above polls soon. I should also apologise for my absence over the past few days, which has meant that there have been no new polls since last Saturday unfortuately. Also, there will be another, and sadly much longer break in the polls, because I am going on holiday for a fortnight on Friday, and so the 'Forum Awards' threads will have to be suspended until the end of August/beginning of September, unless somebody else is willing to keep them going whilst I am away. However, I plan to break the two-day tradition of these threads, but starting another one tomorrow before I go away. But, despite my absence, I promise I won't neglect this threads.

I am going to ask everyone to nominate their Top 5 season premieres/openers (the first episode in every season) and the episodes with the most nominations will make the eventual shortlist and contend for the ultimate award. The 5 episodes with the most votes will make the shortlist for the award, and when the final shortlist is published, you will have another chance to vote in this category.

Here are the options:
* The Good Son (Season 1)
* Slow Tango in South Seattle (Season 2)
* She's the Boss (Season 3)
* The Two Mrs Cranes (Season 4)
* Frasier's Imaginary Friend (Season 5)
* Good Grief (Season 6)
* Momma Mia (Season 7)
* And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon (Season 8)
* Don Juan in Hell (Season 9)
* The Ring Cycle (Season 10)
* No Sex Please, We're Skittish (Season 11)

BEST FRASIER DOUBLE MULTI-PART EPISODE
* The Two Mrs Cranes
* The Good Son
* Frasier's Imaginary Friend
* Good Grief
* She's the Boss

Now please vote for your Top 5 episodes, and I think you'll agree this poll is much easier than the best 'Best Moment' ones. Think carefully about the episodes you nominate, and let's hope your episodes make the eventual shortlist. Get voting! Thanks.

I'll be starting the 'Best Season Finale' poll tomorrow morning.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:16 pm

The Two Mrs Cranes
She's the Boss
No Sex Please, We're Skittish
The Good Son
Slow Tango in South Seattle
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby !Amz! » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:20 pm

No Sex Please, We're Skittish
The Ring Cycle
The Two Mrs Cranes
The Good Son
She's the Boss

I honestly don't think Slow Tango in South Seattle was a very good one, but others may have different opinions.
!Amz!

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:30 pm

!Amz! wrote:I honestly don't think Slow Tango in South Seattle was a very good one, but others may have different opinions.

Apart from the scene where Frasier goes to visit his music teacher (for some reason, I just couldn't get into that scene) I thought the episode was very good. I can see why it's not a popular one, though.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Cake for Brains » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:35 pm

I know co-creator Peter Casey thought that 'Slow Tango in South Seattle' was one of the show's stansout episodes from the second season. I am very surprised that it was included in the 'Best of Frasier' script book because the merits of this episode have always been rather lost on me.
Cake for Brains

Postby welshben23 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:58 pm

1) The Two Mrs Cranes
2) The Good Son
3) Frasier's Imaginary Friend
4) She's The Boss
5) No Sex Please, We're Skittish.

Slow Tango in South Seattle and Good Grief are also very good episodes but not as good as these 5 I thought.
welshben23

Postby Leanne » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:12 pm

Frasier's Imaginary Friend
The Good Son
The Two Mrs Cranes
Good Grief
She's The Boss
Leanne

Postby Jocelyn » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:43 pm

welshben23 wrote:1) The Two Mrs Cranes
2) The Good Son
3) Frasier's Imaginary Friend
4) She's The Boss
5) No Sex Please, We're Skittish.

^These are my five favourites too. It's odd but I find most of the remaining six episodes a little bit slow and drawn out.
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Cake for Brains » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:49 pm

I'd completely agree with you Jocelyn about many of the season premiere's being rather sluggish in pace, although I think 'Good Grief' is vastly underrated.
Cake for Brains

Postby Paul B » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:57 pm

1) The Two Mrs. Cranes
2) Frasier's Imaginary Friend
3) She's the Boss
4) The Good Son
5) No Sex Please, We're Skittish
Paul B

Postby welshben23 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:59 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I'd completely agree with you Jocelyn about many of the season premiere's being rather sluggish in pace, although I think 'Good Grief' is vastly underrated.

I agree, I really like "Good Grief".
welshben23

Postby Corevelay » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:21 am

1. The Good Son
2. The Two Mrs. Cranes
3. Momma Mia
4. And The Dish Ran Away With The Spoon
5. Good Grief
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
Corevelay

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:59 am

Cake for Brains wrote:I'd completely agree with you Jocelyn about many of the season premiere's being rather sluggish in pace, although I think 'Good Grief' is vastly underrated.

Good Grief is a great episode, beautifully constructed by Chris Lloyd. Jocelyn's right though, it does have a sluggish pace (which I think can be attributed to the couple of 'filmed' sequences) which prevents the episode from being a true classic. The scene in the park is highly amusing, particularly when Gil is offered a job and Frasier goes nuts on the pinata, but the audience laughter seems somewhat muted (no doubt because they watched the scene on videotape instead of 'live'), and the segment ends up with a flat feel to it. Ditto for the CCTV footage of Frasier eating Alice's baby food - that could have been cut altogether for me. Also the subject matter would hardly lead to a lively, fast-paced episode either but its great fun all the same and certainly in the top half of season 6 episodes IMO.

My top 5 openers look like this:-

1) Frasier's Imaginary Friend
2) The Two Mrs Cranes
3) The Good Son
4) She's The Boss
5) Momma Mia

On the whole, season finale's tend to be better than season openers for Frasier. For the record, my least favourite opener is from one of my favourite seasons - season 2's Slow Tango in South Seattle. The one redeeming feature of this snore-fest is the appearance of John O'Hurley as Thomas Jay Fallow, the actor who would later give so many wonderfully OTT performances as J Peterman on Seinfeld.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:05 am

Beer Necessity wrote:The one redeeming feature of this snore-fest is the appearance of John O'Hurley as Thomas Jay Fallow, the actor who would later give so many wonderfully OTT performances as J Peterman on Seinfeld.

He also later appeared on an episode of Diagnosis Murder - in which he was one of the murder victims.

It was a pretty good episode, too. A treacherous storm, everyone trapped in a dark house with a killer on the loose...pretty spooky!

Bee Gees Fan

Postby welshben23 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:54 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:The one redeeming feature of this snore-fest is the appearance of John O'Hurley as Thomas Jay Fallow, the actor who would later give so many wonderfully OTT performances as J Peterman on Seinfeld.

He also later appeared on an episode of Diagnosis Murder - in which he was one of the murder victims.

It was a pretty good episode, too. A treacherous storm, everyone trapped in a dark house with a killer on the loose...pretty spooky!

I love that episode of DM, it really spooked me the first time i watched it! :lol: It had a dramatic name too:- "Rain of Terror" :D
welshben23

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:06 pm

welshben23 wrote:I love that episode of DM, it really spooked me the first time i watched it! :lol: It had a dramatic name too:- "Rain of Terror" :D

Yeah, I was a bit scared too!

I love a lot of the episodes, but there's one that sticks out in my mind from season five - I can't remember the name, but it's one where there's a huge fire spreading through a part of California, and Mark and co are all helping in trying to stop it, and amidst all this, there's a murder.

I was amused by the reporter there who kept mistaking people for celebrities. She announced Mark as in fact being Peter Graves, kept addressing Amanda as Whitney Houston, and at the end of the episode, mistook Jesse for Michael J. Fox. I still remember her exclamation when she saw him - "It's Michael J. Fox! Michael J - is your home a burning ruin?"

I actually do think that the guy who played Jesse (Charlie Schlatter) did look a bit like Michael J. Fox, and had a similar type of voice. When he was younger, he did have a role in a movie where he played Michael J. Fox's character's brother.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby welshben23 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:16 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
welshben23 wrote:I love that episode of DM, it really spooked me the first time i watched it! :lol: It had a dramatic name too:- "Rain of Terror" :D

Yeah, I was a bit scared too!

I love a lot of the episodes, but there's one that sticks out in my mind from season five - I can't remember the name, but it's one where there's a huge fire spreading through a part of California, and Mark and co are all helping in trying to stop it, and amidst all this, there's a murder.

I was amused by the reporter there who kept mistaking people for celebrities. She announced Mark as in fact being Peter Graves, kept addressing Amanda as Whitney Houston, and at the end of the episode, mistook Jesse for Michael J. Fox. I still remember her exclamation when she saw him - "It's Michael J. Fox! Michael J - is your home a burning ruin?"

I actually do think that the guy who played Jesse (Charlie Schlatter) did look a bit like Michael J. Fox, and had a similar type of voice. When he was younger, he did have a role in a movie where he played Michael J. Fox's character's brother.

The episode with the fire is Season 5 Episode 3:- Malibu Fire. I thought that show was amusing too. I think Amanda is nicer looking than Whitney Houston! :lol: Charlie Schlatter dated Jennifer Aniston in the early 1990s :shock:.
welshben23

Postby Wezzo » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:15 pm

For the most part, an average bunch:

1. The Two Mrs Cranes (Season 4)
---
2. No Sex Please, We're Skittish (Season 11)
3. The Good Son (Season 1)
4. Good Grief (Season 6)
5. She's the Boss (Season 3)
Wezzo

Re: Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Season Premiere

Postby roz11 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:47 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Here are the options:
* The Good Son (Season 1)
* Slow Tango in South Seattle (Season 2)
* She's the Boss (Season 3)
* The Two Mrs Cranes (Season 4)
* Frasier's Imaginary Friend (Season 5)
* Good Grief (Season 6)
* Momma Mia (Season 7)
* And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon (Season 8)
* Don Juan in Hell (Season 9)
* The Ring Cycle (Season 10)
* No Sex Please, We're Skittish (Season 11)

1.) The Two Mrs Cranes (Season 4)
2.) No Sex Please, We're Skittish (Season 11)
3.) Frasier's Imaginary Friend (Season 5)
4.) And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon (Season 8)
5.) Good Grief (Season 6)
roz11

Postby citystreets » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:16 pm

1. The Two Mrs Cranes (Season 4)
2. Frasier's Imaginary Friend (Season 5)
3. She's the Boss (Season 3)
4. No Sex Please, We're Skittish (Season 11)
5. The Good Son (Season 1)
Frasier: Yes, I've seen your log, and I’ve dated every toad on it!
citystreets

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes