Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Martin Moment

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Martin Moment

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:25 am

Please read my other thread 'Frasier Forum Awards - The Rules' in order to know all about the voting process.

Well, it’s been two days since I started the last ‘Forum Awards’ thread, so I think we’re due another one. I know the polls we've done so far have been very difficult and again I’m convinced that this one is going to be a very difficult one to compile, because we have an absolute wealth of material to choose from. This time I am asking you to list your Top Martin Moments. However, in order to get a diverse representation of people’s opinions, I am asking you to nominate between 5 (minimum) and 10 (maximum) moments. The reason I am raising the amount is because I am sceptical that we’ll be able to put together a good final poll if we don’t have a lot of material to choose from. I am going to start by listing just 5 ‘Top Martin Moments’, but I may add to them over the next couple of days.

I am going to ask everyone to nominate their Top 5-10 Martin moments in 'Frasier', and the moments with the most nominations will make the eventual shortlist and contend for the ultimate award. The 5 most popular Frasier moments, with the most votes will make the shortlist for the award, and when the final shortlist is published, you will have another chance to vote in this category. ‘Frasier’ wouldn’t have been possible without the leading man, and Kelsey Grammer has made sure that we’re simply spoilt for choice!

BEST FRASIER MOMENTS
1) Martin 'high on reefer' (High Holidays)
2) Martin 'gaying it up' (Out with Dad)
3) The significance of his chair (Give Him the Chair)
4) Martin moves in with Niles (Dial M for Martin)
5) Martin tells his sons he loves them, in his own way (Breaking the Ice)
6) Martin and Sherry (Dad Loves Sherry, the Boys Just Whine)
7) Martin's 'cardiac event' (Boo)
8) Martin on the phone (Shutout in Seattle)
9) Happy Talk to Eddie (Death and the Dog)

I tried and tried to keep my list at just five nominations, but as you can see I failed miserably. As I knew it would be, this list was horribly difficult to compile, and I know I’ve missed loads of classic moments out. Over the eleven season’s John Mahoney has been nothing short of fantastic throughout and a perfect foil to Niles and Frasier, and I want to make sure this poll does him and his character’s brilliance justice, so think long and hard about your choices. So, everybody get voting, and hopefully your favourite Martin moments will make the final list of nominations for this category, and may even win the Forum Award. Happy voting!
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby !Amz! » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:53 am

Here's my top ten:

Freudian Sleep - When Martin sang 'On The Sunny Side of the Street' with Ronnee in his dream.
Give Him The Chair - The look on Martin's face as he sits in the vibrating chair.
Boo! - "Hey guys guess what - I'm gettin married!"
Someone to Watch Over Me - "Your bodygaurd's called Cindy? What's the matter? They all out of Tiffanys?"
Daphne Returns - Saying "God bless you son!" after Niles tells Daphne that she's a bad cook.
No Sex Please, We're Skittish - Martin telling Niles to say "S" instead of "sperm."
Moondance - Saying that if you can ride a bike, or skip rope, then you can certainly...then realises he's talking about Niles.
I'm Listening - Grabbing Roz and kissing her when he's pretending that she's 'Sheila.'
Flour Child - Answering Niles with a flat "no" when he's role playing with his flour sack.
Adventures in Paridise Part 2 - Martin's reaction when Frasier tells everyone Lilith's going to be married again. To someone else.
!Amz!

Postby Wezzo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:56 pm

1. At Niles' House (Dial M For Martin)
2. High (High Holidays)
3. Gay (Out With Dad)
4. On The Sunny Side of the Street (Freudian Sleep)
5. Annoyed with Frasier and Niles at the restaurant (Dinner At Eight)
6. Jewish (Merry Christmas Mrs. Moskowitz -- thanks for the reminder, welshben)
Last edited by Wezzo on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wezzo

Postby welshben23 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:37 pm

1. When Martin runs over to Lilith without his cane, after he realises she is getting married again to someone else (Adventures in Paradise 2)
2. Martin scaring Frasier and getting his come-uppance (Boo!)
3. Martin's tone of voice when squirting Frasier with oil
(Bla-Z-Boy)
4. The "fridge pants" moment (High Holidays)
5. Martin's face when Niles asks him to come to the balcony
(Dial M for Martin)
6. Martin in Austin Powers mode (RDWRER)
7. Martin laughing about Tom fancying Frasier
(The Matchmaker)
8. Martin trying to act Jewish (Merry Christmas Mrs Moskowitz)
9. Martin "camping" it up (Out with Dad)
10. Martin stating the obvious when the foam explodes
(Are you being Served)
welshben23

Postby Jocelyn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:11 pm

Here's my choice moments from the magnificent Mahoney:

Give Him The Chair (Martin's speech about the historical importance of his chair)
The Innkeepers (The inevitable gloating: 'Smoke-damaged or non smoke-damaged?')
Chess Pains ('Checkmate, Schwartzkopf!')
The Two Mrs Cranes (Martin makes an already complicated situation ten times worse with astronaut anecdotes and the arrival of 'Maris')
Perspectives On Christmas (Rehearsing for the Christmas pageant: 'Diviiiiinnnnneee!!!')
The Zoo Story (Running after the newly-escaped 'Frasier the crane')
Dinner Party (Martin tells his sons that they're 'just special')
Out With Dad (Martin gays it up a little)
Morning Becomes Entertainment (Bebe turns Martin into a woman: 'I can't find a damn thing in this purse!')
Fathers And Sons (Martin dons headphones in disgust as Frasier and Niles sing 'Tit Willow')
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:30 pm

1) Martin's speech about his horrendous flight in Look Before You Leap

2) Martin running after the crane in The Zoo Story

3) Entering the apartment after the disastrous Christmas Pageant in Perspectives on Christmas

4) Fighting with Daphne in Dark Victory

5) "What do you know? It's Maris!" - The Two Mrs Cranes

6) High Martin - High Holidays
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:19 am

This is impossible!

I'll give it my best shot...

1) Dial M For Martin - Martin running hysterically out of the Montana as Niles asks him to "Join me on the balcony!"

2) Give Him The Chair - Recanting the veritable treasure trove of memories his chair represents.

3) Out With Dad - Martin gays it up, then looks horror struck as Edward puts his hand on Martin's knee.

4) The Two Mrs Cranes - "Whaddya know, it's Maris!"

5) The Good Son - "I'm trading in my golf clubs for one of these".

6) High Holidays - "I had a good reason - Fridge Pants!"
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Leanne » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Perspectives on Christmas - Martin singing 'O Holy Night' and failing to hit the high notes (a nod must go to Eddie here, I loved it when he buried his head).

Secret Admirer - In Nervosa, Martin describes Eddie's joy at playing with bubble wrap: 'poppity-pop-pop-pop!'

Martin Does it His Way - I like the moment with them all round the piano, but the moment I most liked was Martin tapping his feet, grinning and clicking his fingers at the end, when Frasier organises the choir to sing a rendition of 'She's Such a Groovy Lady'.

The Apparent Trap - 'Has the witch gone yet? Oh, hello Lilith... has my twitch gone yet?'

Dad Loves Sherry, The Boys Just Whine - Martin's nervousness at introducing Sherry.

The Two Mrs Cranes - The same moment as BN; Roz knocks on the door and Martin says "Whaddya know, it's Maris!"

Roz and the Schoz - Alice's big-nosed grandfather asks "Mmmm... what's that I smell?" Martin replies, "probably Japan!" his delivery is spot on, this is one of my favourite laugh out loud moments in Frasier.

I have to be annoying and add another moment I don't know the episode for - I think it's the opening scene of an early Season 3 episode. Daphne explains how she gets rid of Eddie by making an annoying noise, some time passes then Martin says something like 'you do one silly thing and people think you're weird'. Then throws his head back and goes 'LALALALALALA!!' to get rid of Eddie. :D
Leanne

Postby sparky21 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:22 am

I would have to say;

1) The Two Mrs Cranes - When Martin tells Clive of his time using a moon-crane :lol:

2) Morning Becomes Entertainment : 'I can't find a damn thing in this purse!

3) High Holidays (spit! bleurgh.... after my protestations against this winning season 11 poll, lol) BUT - the "fridge pants" was hilarious.... and his "dog army" notepaper. :D

4) I'm Listening - The Sheila Incidient in Nervosa

5) Boo - Its kinda' a Frasier moment too - but the 'mild cardiac event' - is that wrong to find funny ???
Roz: She's Bebe! If you had said you liked my eyes, they would have been on your desk tomorrow in a Tiffany box! - Roz's Turn
sparky21

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:41 am

Leanne wrote:I have to be annoying and add another moment I don't know the episode for - I think it's the opening scene of an early Season 3 episode. Daphne explains how she gets rid of Eddie by making an annoying noise, some time passes then Martin says something like 'you do one silly thing and people think you're weird'. Then throws his head back and goes 'LALALALALALA!!' to get rid of Eddie. :D

That would be from season 3's Crane Vs Crane. I actually didn't enjoy that scene. John Mahoney sounds like he's lost his voice as he yelps out that high pitched scream, similar to the 'Oh night diviiiiine' bit from Perspectives. He obviously can't reach that high a note, and it makes me cringe tbh.
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:43 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Leanne wrote:I have to be annoying and add another moment I don't know the episode for - I think it's the opening scene of an early Season 3 episode. Daphne explains how she gets rid of Eddie by making an annoying noise, some time passes then Martin says something like 'you do one silly thing and people think you're weird'. Then throws his head back and goes 'LALALALALALA!!' to get rid of Eddie. :D

That would be from season 3's Crance Vs Crane. I actually didn't enjoy that scene. John Mahoney sounds like he's lost his voice as he yelps out that high pitched scream, similar to the 'Oh night diviiiiine' bit from Perspectives. He obviously can't reach that high a note, and it makes me cringe tbh.

I'm with you on that one. Terrible.
Stratman

Postby welshben23 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:20 am

Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:

That would be from season 3's Crance Vs Crane. I actually didn't enjoy that scene. John Mahoney sounds like he's lost his voice as he yelps out that high pitched scream, similar to the 'Oh night diviiiiine' bit from Perspectives. He obviously can't reach that high a note, and it makes me cringe tbh.

I'm with you on that one. Terrible.

Yeah I thought it was a quite silly moment in the episode. When Daphne did it, it did sound funny though.
welshben23

Postby Corevelay » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:21 pm

1. Martin's High Holidays (High Holidays)
2. The look on Martin's face when Roz whispers a story about her in his ear. (Can't remember the ep)
3. Martin's Laser Robo Geek present for Frasier (Frasier Grinch)
4. Martin arguing with Frasier in Bla-Z-Boy (Bla-Z-Boy)
5. Martin talking on the video Niles films of him for future Crane generations to see.
6. Making the song "She's Such A Groovy Lady" (Martin Does It His Way)
7. Martin's reaction to Frasier not making the turn in the winnebago "OH MY GOD!" (Travels With Martin)
8. Out With Dad (Out With Dad)
9. "Sex is a very personal thing, it's between you and the person you're doing it to!" (Can't remember what ep)
10. Martin's chair significance speech (Give Him The Chair)
Last edited by Corevelay on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
Corevelay

Postby Leanne » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:That would be from season 3's Crance Vs Crane. I actually didn't enjoy that scene. John Mahoney sounds like he's lost his voice as he yelps out that high pitched scream, similar to the 'Oh night diviiiiine' bit from Perspectives. He obviously can't reach that high a note, and it makes me cringe tbh.

I think I found it so funny because it's so cringeworthy and over the top. I keep wanting to add to my old 'odd Frasier fans' thread with these nominations. :D Thanks for telling me which episode it is BN - I've got to imprint it on my brain, I always seem to be asking where that moment comes from.
Leanne

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:55 pm

Leanne wrote:Thanks for telling me which episode it is BN - I've got to imprint it on my brain, I always seem to be asking where that moment comes from.

Don't worry about it. I spent a lot of time reading Stu's episode capsules before there was even a forum on this website, so I guess that's why I've got such a handle on episode titles. The odd one still eludes me from time to time though! :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Re: Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Martin Moment

Postby Dr Arnold Shaw » Sat May 19, 2012 2:27 am

Trying to give directions to Frasier in Travels With Martin
Finishing 'She's such a Groovy Lady' in Martin Does It His Way
Being caught smoking in Where There's Smoke, There's Fired
Constantly beating Frasier at chess in Chess Pains
At the stables with Agides in The Gift Horse
Harping on about food in Voyage Of The Damned
Getting the hell out of the Montana in Dial M for Martin
Singing along with his sons in Shutout in Seattle