Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Last Film You Watched

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Last Film You Watched

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Igor (2008) - 6.5/10
Not terrible. Not the best, but good fun with a decent cast.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:58 am

I saw Independance day with Will Smith the other day. Pardon my French but what a worthless piece of trash!!!

That's all folks...
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Paul B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 pm

The Avengers - 8.5/10

Being a fan of Joss Whedon I figured it was time I sat down and watched this, despite not being overly familiar with the Marvel universe. Suffice to say it was highly enjoyable, possessing all the character, wit and charm that its contemporaries have been sorely lacking in.

Thor - 6/10

With The Avengers out of the way, learning more out of the characters seemed like a given but this just felt like your bog standard action movie, with not a lot on offer.

The Dark Knight Rises - 5/10

I still don't understand the appeal of this particular offset of the Batman franchise. Begins was just about tolerable, but along with TDK this all feels incredibly soulless and self-indulgent, like its desperately striving to be anything but a comic book movie.
Paul B

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:56 pm

I thought The Avengers was the movie after the series with John Steed and Emma Peel. I didn't know they could have two movies with the same name.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Paul B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Patrick wrote:I thought The Avengers was the movie after the series with John Steed and Emma Peel. I didn't know they could have two movies with the same name.

Ah yes. Perhaps I should've used the UK title, Avengers Assemble, to differentiate. :)
Paul B

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:38 am

Paul B wrote:The Avengers - 8.5/10

Being a fan of Joss Whedon I figured it was time I sat down and watched this, despite not being overly familiar with the Marvel universe. Suffice to say it was highly enjoyable, possessing all the character, wit and charm that its contemporaries have been sorely lacking in.

Thor - 6/10

With The Avengers out of the way, learning more out of the characters seemed like a given but this just felt like your bog standard action movie, with not a lot on offer.

The Dark Knight Rises - 5/10

I still don't understand the appeal of this particular offset of the Batman franchise. Begins was just about tolerable, but along with TDK this all feels incredibly soulless and self-indulgent, like its desperately striving to be anything but a comic book movie.

Wouldn't disagree with any of those. i like Avengers. The related individual outings are patchy but fun enough. The new Thor film must be about due to drop.

For all the critical acclaim, I don't care much for the Batman trilogy. I don't mind BB, but TDK and TDKR left me cold. I have my doubts, but I hope the mooted Justice League film can match what Avengers achieved.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:47 am

The new Thor film comes out here on November 8.

I wasn't thrilled with Dark Knight Rises. I expected much more but then again I'm not a huge fan of Bale's Batman.

I watched Iron Man 3 over the weekend. LOVED it! Had it's moments of "silly" but that's why I liked it so much. Robert Downey, Jr. is just the perfect Tony Stark and I so love the fact that Tony Stark embraced his Iron Man persona and didn't try to hide it. He's just like "Yeah, I'm fucking Iron Man!"
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:50 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:I watched Iron Man 3 over the weekend. LOVED it! Had it's moments of "silly" but that's why I liked it so much. Robert Downey, Jr. is just the perfect Tony Stark and I so love the fact that Tony Stark embraced his Iron Man persona and didn't try to hide it. He's just like "Yeah, I'm fucking Iron Man!"

:lol:

I like that, too. All three are pretty good in the main. Iron Man's definitely been my favourite of the Avengers-based character outings.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Who's seen the trailer for the next X-Men movie?

It's either going to be spectacularly epic or a massive clutter of a mess. Hoping for the former!

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:19 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Who's seen the trailer for the next X-Men movie?

It's either going to be spectacularly epic or a massive clutter of a mess. Hoping for the former!

It looks decent. Though I'm more interested in the next Thor movie and the next Avengers movie.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby ouroboros » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Men in Black - 10/10 I love this movie.

Deep Blue Sea - 8/10 Very enjoyable crap.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby Patrick » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:21 pm

ouroboros wrote:...Deep Blue Sea - 8/10 Very enjoyable crap.

Is it the sci fi one made in 1999 or the Drama made in 2011?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby ouroboros » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Patrick wrote:
ouroboros wrote:...Deep Blue Sea - 8/10 Very enjoyable crap.

Is it the sci fi one made in 1999 or the Drama made in 2011?

Ah the shark sci fi one from 1999.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby DiceMan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:34 am

Thor 2 was the last one I saw all the way through

Started Pacific Rim and Taxi Driver though
DiceMan

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:04 pm

I saw Thor 2 earlier in the week. It was fairly average. Not terrible.

Watched The Butler last weekend. That was decent enough.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:51 pm

I've rewatched Jaws, (the last time was more than two decades ago), at the very beginning my first reaction was. Oh please! The shark is as big as a house, how can the girl at the beginning struggle against it for so long, how can she offer even the slightest resistance? It would be like a tiny mouse fighting a rat-terrier in a tug of war. I am surprised that it didn't strike me back then as really iffy.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:37 pm

I'll be amazed if Matthew McConaughey doesn't pick up a best actor gong at the Oscars for his role in Dallas Buyers Club. He was superb. Great performances, well written and directed. In the wrong hands this could easily have ended up looking like one of those shitty made for tv movies.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I'll be amazed if Matthew McConaughey doesn't pick up a best actor gong at the Oscars for his role in Dallas Buyers Club. He was superb. Great performances, well written and directed. In the wrong hands this could easily have ended up looking like one of those shitty made for tv movies.

Agreed, brilliant film, brilliant lead performance, and my favourite of all the Best Picture noms - which is saying quite something, as I've really enjoyed them all (although I haven't yet seen Her). Credit to Jared Leto too, he gave his role real depth.
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Wezzo wrote:Agreed, brilliant film, brilliant lead performance, and my favourite of all the Best Picture noms - which is saying quite something, as I've really enjoyed them all (although I haven't yet seen Her). Credit to Jared Leto too, he gave his role real depth.

Yep the pair were fantastic. Leto will have a chance for supporting actor. They definitely elevated the film above your standard fare. Those guys and the director squeezed the maximum out of a relatively low budget affair.

Not sure whether it can take the best picture gong (i've got a horrible feeling it'll go to American Hustle), and i haven't seen all of the films for the other best actor nominees, but there'll have to be something extraordinary to outdo McConaughey.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Wezzo wrote:Agreed, brilliant film, brilliant lead performance, and my favourite of all the Best Picture noms - which is saying quite something, as I've really enjoyed them all (although I haven't yet seen Her). Credit to Jared Leto too, he gave his role real depth.

Yep the pair were fantastic. Leto will have a chance for supporting actor. They definitely elevated the film above your standard fare. Those guys and the director squeezed the maximum out of a relatively low budget affair.

Not sure whether it can take the best picture gong (i've got a horrible feeling it'll go to American Hustle), and i haven't seen all of the films for the other best actor nominees, but there'll have to be something extraordinary to outdo McConaughey.

I'm still thinking Gravity or 12 Years A Slave will take the big prize, but imo it's either going to be one of them or Hustle, can't really see much else having a shot, as much as a Dallas Buyers Club or Wolf Of Wall Street win would rather please me. American Hustle I liked, but it's my least favourite of the eight I've seen, and I preferred Silver Linings Playbook.
Wezzo

Postby Wezzo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Do you have an Unlimited card btw, MC? You've got a big Cineworld in your parts, right?
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Wezzo wrote:I'm still thinking Gravity or 12 Years A Slave will take the big prize, but imo it's either going to be one of them or Hustle, can't really see much else having a shot, as much as a Dallas Buyers Club or Wolf Of Wall Street win would rather please me. American Hustle I liked, but it's my least favourite of the eight I've seen, and I preferred Silver Linings Playbook.

12YAS has a chance, but probably more likely for Chiwetel whatshisname to steal Best actor from MM. i still think MacConaughey is the better performance.

I like Gravity but i don't think it deserves to win. i'd prefer it to win over AH, though.

I've nothing against American Hustle as a movie. I just think it'd be the equivalent of Crash winning 'best film' a few years back when it clearly wasn't. I think we've seen enough industry reaction to WoWS to be sure that won't win the big one :lol: Being nominated is the token nod it gets. I don't think it should win, either, but not for the same reasons as the critics.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Wezzo wrote:Do you have an Unlimited card btw, MC? You've got a big Cineworld in your parts, right?

Yes, Cineworld is the main place in the Snow Dome. Don't have unlimited cards, though. Couldn't justify it for the pair of us for the amount we go to the cinema to see (although i imagine we'd go to see more if we did have them). Cinema visits are a fraction of what i did maybe 10 years ago. We just buy online for the discount price and usually go on the so-called bargain tuesday.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:12YAS has a chance, but probably more likely for Chiwetel whatshisname to steal Best actor from MM. i still think MacConaughey is the better performance.

I like Gravity but i don't think it deserves to win. i'd prefer it to win over AH, though.

I've nothing against American Hustle as a movie. I just think it'd be the equivalent of Crash winning 'best film' a few years back when it clearly wasn't. I think we've seen enough industry reaction to WoWS to be sure that won't win the big one :lol: Being nominated is the token nod it gets. I don't think it should win, either, but not for the same reasons as the critics.

Yeah, Chiwetel Ejifor is very good, but McConaughey is just phenomenal.

In an ideal world, Before Midnight would be winning the big one for me, but hey, Linklater's no Oscar fave.

I'm jealous of your MK Cineworld. We go to Yeovil or Bristol, which have 10/12 screens, but which never get the more borderline titles (All is Lost, say). And it's difficult to justify watching stuff elsewhere given the increased cost, travelling, and the fact I already make us watch any old shite Yeovil gets :lol:
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Wezzo wrote:I'm jealous of your MK Cineworld. We go to Yeovil or Bristol, which have 10/12 screens, but which never get the more borderline titles (All is Lost, say). And it's difficult to justify watching stuff elsewhere given the increased cost, travelling, and the fact I already make us watch any old shite Yeovil gets :lol:

Yeah i guess it's ok. There is definitely a benefit to having a whole bunch of screens. Sometimes doesn't feel like it in the summer months when there's a couple of 'blockbusters' out and the place devotes at least half of their screens to 2D/3D versions of one or two films on a half-hourly rotation. But hey, that's the market.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion