Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Worst actor/actress on the show?

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Tranquilox » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Who do you think was the worst actor/actress to ever be on the show?
I didn't like Trevor Einhorn as Frederick at all, he was a bit cringy to watch, but improved over the years. I thought the same about Steven Anthony Lawrence who played Jason White, the one who was playing pranks on Gertrude in 'Tales From the Crypt'.
Tranquilox
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Patrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 pm

I don't know as child-actors go, I thought they were pretty good. Trevor Einhorn was definitely better than his predecessor, who acted like he was reading the phone book. The one who played Eve in Halloween was rather bland. Doctor Phil keeps talking like he's addressing a crowd. Other than that they were all pretty good, even the ones who's characters I didn't like.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Tranquilox » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Yeah doctor phil wasn't too good, but then he's not an actor, so I guess i can let him off for that :P funnily enough, the person who played Eve in Halloween was Kelsey's wife (Camille) at the time of filming
Tranquilox
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Patrick wrote:I don't know as child-actors go, I thought they were pretty good. Trevor Einhorn was definitely better than his predecessor, who acted like he was reading the phone book. The one who played Eve in Halloween was rather bland. Doctor Phil keeps talking like he's addressing a crowd. Other than that they were all pretty good, even the ones who's characters I didn't like.


The one who played Eve in Halloween was Kelsey's real life wife at the time. She was awful. And Dr. Phil was pretty awful too. Bill Gates couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Tranquilox » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Annie was pretty bad in Ski Lodge, mainly because of the bad accent, aswell as Clive for the same reason
Tranquilox
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Patrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:45 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:I don't know as child-actors go, I thought they were pretty good. Trevor Einhorn was definitely better than his predecessor, who acted like he was reading the phone book. The one who played Eve in Halloween was rather bland. Doctor Phil keeps talking like he's addressing a crowd. Other than that they were all pretty good, even the ones who's characters I didn't like.


The one who played Eve in Halloween was Kelsey's real life wife at the time. She was awful. And Dr. Phil was pretty awful too. Bill Gates couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

Bill Gates had better not quit his day job. :D
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Patrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Tranquilox wrote:Annie was pretty bad in Ski Lodge, mainly because of the bad accent, aswell as Clive for the same reason

So she isn't really English? Do you think she's American?
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Patrick wrote:
Tranquilox wrote:Annie was pretty bad in Ski Lodge, mainly because of the bad accent, aswell as Clive for the same reason

So she isn't really English? Do you think she's American?


Yep. She's American. And she looked much better as Annie than she does in her IMDb picture!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0483701/
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Tranquilox » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:52 pm

The actress, Cynthia Lamontagne who played her is American, the accent is badly put-on
Tranquilox
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Tranquilox wrote:Annie was pretty bad in Ski Lodge, mainly because of the bad accent, aswell as Clive for the same reason

So she isn't really English? Do you think she's American?


Yep. She's American. And she looked much better as Annie than she does in her IMDb picture!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0483701/

I can see that, nevertheless I think her body is still... wow!!! :D
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:00 am

Tranquilox wrote:The actress, Cynthia Lamontagne who played her is American, the accent is badly put-on

Does Daphne sound Mancunian at all? Or is her accent also fictitious although I am guessing of much better quality than most?
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Tranquilox » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:07 pm

To me I'm not really sure if it sounds Mancunian, since i'm from the south of England, but her accent is definitely fictitious. From the moment I first watched Frasier, her accent sort've bugged me, because it sounded a bit too fake. In interviews she sounds completely different
Tranquilox
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:48 pm

:twisted: I'd say the accent she uses is quite believable.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
User avatar
Forever Jung
 
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Somewhere with scrambled egg all over my face

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Yep, sounds perfectly manc enough to me. Certainly good enough as a north-west accent in general. And even more certainly for a US show's needs.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby PistolPoet » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Yep, sounds perfectly manc enough to me. Certainly good enough as a north-west accent in general. And even more certainly for a US show's needs.

It's really interesting to see how different people have different opinions about her accent. I had an English friend aho was a linguist and he said her accent was laughable, but then again he may have been judging her too harshly. Over the years I've seen people say it's bad, just off the mark, decent and good. Being a foreigner, I can't tell myself, but I absolutely agree it's quite good for Americans, most of whom have probably never (or rarely enough) heard a Mancunian accent.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Frasiertime » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Daphne's accent sounded a little "put on" to me in the early episodes, perhaps to emphasize her how quirky she was. It seemed toned down later. Maybe an opinion of her accent depends on which episodes a person is watching. I'm not from England, so I can't really judge.

I thought Simon's accent sounded so bad because he was supposed to be drunk all the time and the "drunken accent" bit just didn't come out right. I thought his character would have been less annoying if the accent was toned down quite a bit and he didn't walk so weird all the time.
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Chicago USA

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Patrick » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Frasiertime wrote:Daphne's accent sounded a little "put on" to me in the early episodes, perhaps to emphasize her how quirky she was. It seemed toned down later. Maybe an opinion of her accent depends on which episodes a person is watching. I'm not from England, so I can't really judge.

I thought Simon's accent sounded so bad because he was supposed to be drunk all the time and the "drunken accent" bit just didn't come out right. I thought his character would have been less annoying if the accent was toned down quite a bit and he didn't walk so weird all the time.

Hey, that's the Moon-walk! :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:44 pm

PistolPoet wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Yep, sounds perfectly manc enough to me. Certainly good enough as a north-west accent in general. And even more certainly for a US show's needs.

It's really interesting to see how different people have different opinions about her accent. I had an English friend aho was a linguist and he said her accent was laughable, but then again he may have been judging her too harshly. Over the years I've seen people say it's bad, just off the mark, decent and good. Being a foreigner, I can't tell myself, but I absolutely agree it's quite good for Americans, most of whom have probably never (or rarely enough) heard a Mancunian accent.


:twisted: I certainly don't think it's "laughable" :shock:
As a native of the North West of England (Manchester is 33.3 miles away from Liverpool according to the RAC) I don't think there is anything wrong with her accent at all.
I wouldn't think it was odd if I heard an accent like that while I was out and about.

As has been pointed out, her accent may have been stronger earlier to make her appear quirkier, or it could be that living in America for so many years has softened it a bit.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
User avatar
Forever Jung
 
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Somewhere with scrambled egg all over my face

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:56 pm

i'd say Daphne's accent sounded more northwestern/manchester in the early years and toned down through the later seasons into a more generic tone. If you go on youtube and check out clips from shows such as Shameless, Queer As Folk, The Royle Family, In With The Fynns, etc, they're all set in the Manchester area. Listen to the women on those and i wouldn't think Jane Leeves is too far out for the job she needed to do.

I reckon a UK linguist would say i effect a fake geordie accent. But i am originally from Tyneside, just with a bastardised version of the accent from living in other parts of the country. Everyone else in the UK would simply hear me as a geordie but the 'natives' would say i don't have the accent at all. It's not something i get hung up about.

I always thought Hugh Laurie's accent sounded a little weird and slightly exaggerated for House, but then he would get good stateside reviews for it. I'm not American so who am i to say. :D Like Frasiertime, i thought Simon was always meant to sound hammered. But it never really bugged me how he sounded.

Unless somebody sounds completely bizarre and extremely exaggerated, i don't really worry about it.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Patrick » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Yep, sounds perfectly manc enough to me. Certainly good enough as a north-west accent in general. And even more certainly for a US show's needs.

It's really interesting to see how different people have different opinions about her accent. I had an English friend aho was a linguist and he said her accent was laughable, but then again he may have been judging her too harshly. Over the years I've seen people say it's bad, just off the mark, decent and good. Being a foreigner, I can't tell myself, but I absolutely agree it's quite good for Americans, most of whom have probably never (or rarely enough) heard a Mancunian accent.


:twisted: I certainly don't think it's "laughable" :shock:
As a native of the North West of England (Manchester is 33.3 miles away from Liverpool according to the RAC) I don't think there is anything wrong with her accent at all.
I wouldn't think it was odd if I heard an accent like that while I was out and about.

As has been pointed out, her accent may have been stronger earlier to make her appear quirkier, or it could be that living in America for so many years has softened it a bit.

I only know well enough the accent of my own region, to tell the difference between a good fake and the real McCoy. Anywhere else in France I can most of the time place an accent on the map but can't tell if it's native or acquired. Of course sometimes a bad fake is meant as a parody and then it can be hilarious, but only when it's a good bad fake, like a caricature. If you see what I mean.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I can't tell the difference between regional accents in the UK. You guys have different accents if you cross to the other side of the street. :lol: I mean I can tell the difference between Cockney and what we refer to as "the King's English" but not much else.

I can quite easily tell most US regional accents though. MC mentioned Hugh Laurie's accent. I found his American pretty flawless but I have heard others say it's awful. Personally I think those are just people who are trying to pretend they are smart.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:25 am

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: I certainly don't think it's "laughable" :shock:
As a native of the North West of England (Manchester is 33.3 miles away from Liverpool according to the RAC) I don't think there is anything wrong with her accent at all.
I wouldn't think it was odd if I heard an accent like that while I was out and about.

My friend was a phonetician and an elitist, so any slight derivation from his idea of Mancunian would set him off :P.

Moon-Crane wrote:I reckon a UK linguist would say i effect a fake geordie accent. But i am originally from Tyneside, just with a bastardised version of the accent from living in other parts of the country. Everyone else in the UK would simply hear me as a geordie but the 'natives' would say i don't have the accent at all. It's not something i get hung up about.

Awww, Geordie! I'd love to hear you! (I have a degree in English and am therefore a big anglophile :)).
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:11 pm

PistolPoet wrote:My friend was a phonetician


:twisted: I don't know why working in a call center qualifies him to judge on how well the accent was done :D :lol:

I've been told by people from outside of Liverpool they can tell i'm from Liverpool, but i've had a lot of people in Liverpool ask me where i'm from. Work that one out :shock:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
User avatar
Forever Jung
 
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Somewhere with scrambled egg all over my face

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby Patrick » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:33 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:My friend was a phonetician


:twisted: I don't know why working in a call center qualifies him to judge on how well the accent was done :D :lol:

I've been told by people from outside of Liverpool they can tell i'm from Liverpool, but i've had a lot of people in Liverpool ask me where i'm from. Work that one out :shock:

Well, I've been in that bizarre situation myself. I've worked in Marseilles for a year and while the people from Marseilles could tell that I was from Picardie, the People from Picardie thought that I was from Marseilles. Go figure! :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Worst actor/actress on the show?

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Daphne's accent is definitely not laughable but it's nowhere near a Manc accent imho. Like M-C says it's definitely a North-West accent but it's not whiny enough to be a proper Manc accent like Gary Neville for example! (No offence to any forum members from Manchester) :)
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Next

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron

© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.