Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Quirky Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The Quirky Thread

Postby ouroboros » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 pm

I had this idea in the lift today at work when you find yourself doing things that make you seem a tad odd!

Share things you do/say/think etc that make you seem.... 'quirky' :)

There are two lifts at work one on the left and one on the right. Both have inside those little panels where you push the button of the floor number you need. It bothers me because the panels are on different sides for each lift and I can never remember which one is which so when I get in I invariably find I go to the wrong side, hand held out ready, then tut when I realise there's nothing there and move over to the other side. I always think I've got it right too and I never remember. So today I think right I'm going to nail it somehow, solve this once and for all. I inspect both lifts and in the left lift the panel is on the right side and in the right lift the panel is on the left side. So I think of a little mantra 'right is left and left is right' to help me remember. I think I've been very clever until I get into the right lift, forget which lift I've gone into and say ' left is right' and move victoriously to the right hand side and am confronted with a blank panel. Tomorrow I shall get it right.

Yep. I'm odd. Bit obsessive. In need of some help. Perhaps. I'll just call it quirky :D
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Re: The Quirky Thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Haha, classic!

I've lived in this house for 35 years, on and off, and I still walk into the lounge from the kitchen and reach for a light switch next to the door... except that it's not there, and never has been - it's by a door on the other wall!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby ouroboros » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Lol, it's a brain scramble. It doesn't help with the lift thing that you have to turn around once you're in there either. Can't cope.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:33 pm

When I worked at place called Rogers Memorial Hospital (which was a mental health facility) I worked with kids of varying ages. One of them had this habit of "flipping" a pencil in his hand. (if I had video I'd show you what I mean but essentially, you are flipping the pencil or pen over your thumb). Anyway, I had him show me how to do it and it has since become a habit. I cannot have a pen in my hand without doing it and if I have a pen anywhere near me, I'll pick it up and flip it.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:33 pm

As a child, I taught myself to read upside down and though I didn't practice it much since, I am still able to do it without much effort even with hand-written notes. Whenever I am in someone's office, I can tell at a glance what they have in front of them on their desk. It has served me well a few times.
Word for the wise: be aware that some people can do that.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Reading upside down could definitely come in handy at times!

When I was in high school I could write backwards. My best friend and I used to write notes to each that way. I don't think I could do it anymore.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 pm

I can read upside down - I can also say the alphabet backwards as fast as I can say it forwards. A completely useless trick. :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Patrick wrote:As a child, I taught myself to read upside down and though I didn't practice it much since, I am still able to do it without much effort even with hand-written notes. Whenever I am in someone's office, I can tell at a glance what they have in front of them on their desk. It has served me well a few times.
Word for the wise: be aware that some people can do that.

I can comfortably do that, too. i never realised it was a particularly unusual trait until i found out that many can't do it. Same thing with being able to recite the alphabet backwards.

Edit: :D You beat me to it, DG!
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:44 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Reading upside down could definitely come in handy at times!

When I was in high school I could write backwards. My best friend and I used to write notes to each that way. I don't think I could do it anymore.

I believe Da Vinci did that to keep some of his notes a secret, unless I misunderstood you. You mean mirror like, right?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Patrick wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Reading upside down could definitely come in handy at times!

I believe Da Vinci did that to keep some of his notes a secret, unless I misunderstood you. You mean mirror like, right?

Yes. It actually started with another student who had a Latin (yeah, for a while my high school still taught Latin as an elective) class in a room right before we had a class in there. He would leave notes on the chalkboard written backwards and sign them "The Wretch Behind the Blackboard".
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I can read upside down - I can also say the alphabet backwards as fast as I can say it forwards. A completely useless trick. :lol:

I could never say the alphabet backwards. I can however recite the Big Mac tag line backwards. (bun seed sesame a on onions pickles cheese lettuce sauce special patties beef all Two) :D
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Um... I don't even know that forwards! :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Oh yeah, whilst we're talking about 'party tricks', I'm very proud of the fact that I once burped 'supercalafragalistic expiala...' after drinking a can of Coke. Couldn't quite manage the 'docious', dammit! :(

I'm such a laaady! :D
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:54 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I can however recite the Big Mac tag line backwards. (bun seed sesame a on onions pickles cheese lettuce sauce special patties beef all Two) :D

That would have helped me on a sporcle quiz a while back. i didn't have a clue what the hell they were talking about :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 pm

I know the Greek, Arabic and Hebrew alphabets. I learned ancient Greek at school for 4 years. I know about fifty words in Arabic that I can pick out of a text when I see them ( I had a project of becoming fluent in Arabic a few years back but then I moved to a region where it was no longer useful and I had other things on my plate)
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Oh yeah, whilst we're talking about 'party tricks', I'm very proud of the fact that I once burped 'supercalafragalistic expiala...' after drinking a can of Coke. Couldn't quite manage the 'docious', dammit! :(

Can you make yourself burp on demand, without any fizzy beverages? I can do that and the missus thinks it's weird. :dontknow:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Oh yeah, whilst we're talking about 'party tricks', I'm very proud of the fact that I once burped 'supercalafragalistic expiala...' after drinking a can of Coke. Couldn't quite manage the 'docious', dammit! :(

They say that Gandhi was a super callous fragile mystic hexed with halitosis. :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Can you make yourself burp on demand, without any fizzy beverages? I can do that and the missus thinks it's weird. :dontknow:

Easily.

(Should I be admitting this? :lol: )
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Patrick wrote:They say that Gandhi was a super callous fragile mystic hexed with halitosis. :lol:

:lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

Can you make yourself burp on demand, without any fizzy beverages? I can do that and the missus thinks it's weird. :dontknow:

In France at the turn of the 20th century we had a man called the petomane and people would pay good money to hear him fart on stage. :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Patrick wrote:I know the Greek, Arabic and Hebrew alphabets. I learned ancient Greek at school for 4 years. I know about fifty words in Arabic that I can pick out of a text when I see them ( I had a project of becoming fluent in Arabic a few years back but then I moved to a region where it was no longer useful and I had other things on my plate)

Heh, I like that. I know the greek alphabet but certainly not the others. I really need to pick up more Cantonese than i know.

I can count in several languages: Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese. Not sure what use that is, though. Maybe i can go shopping in various countries and barter for things?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Patrick wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

In France at the turn of the 20th century we had a man called the petomane and people would pay good money to hear him fart on stage. :lol:

There's a 'performer' in this country called Mr Methane. He's of a similar ilk :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Can you make yourself burp on demand, without any fizzy beverages? I can do that and the missus thinks it's weird. :dontknow:

Easily.

(Should I be admitting this? :lol: )

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

I can do that, quite loud too. :D
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:31 pm

welshben23 wrote:

I can do that, quite loud too. :D

:D Good man.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion