Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Worst Frasier characters

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Re: Worst Frasier characters

Postby john.dinsdale » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 am

I would say Ann Hodges, as she had such an annoying personality and kind of 'tacky' if you know what I mean. I actually liked Gertrude Moon mainly because of her quote "If the airplane food didn't have me hurling my guts out, it was by God's own intervention", in one of the later episodes. I actually used to hate Simon Moon too, until finding out his actor (Anthony LaPaglia) is Australian like me, and so now I don't mind him. I must admit I did kind of hate Bulldog. I know he was meant to be the funny, horny person but he just didn't do it for me and I found his constant barking and tongue-out to be annoying, however he did say some good stuff such as when advertising the Chinese restaurant.

I would say I hated Ann Hodge the most.
"Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity" ~ Niles Crane
john.dinsdale

Postby Patrick » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:22 am

Although I like them very much as fictitious characters, most of the characters of the show would bug the hell out of me if I were to meet them in real life. The crook who pretends to be paraplegic to scam money from people really takes the cake though.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Cymru1991 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 pm

Has to be Simon (Moon) for me. Although I think Anthony LaPaglia did an excellent job, he just irritated the hell out of me!
Cymru1991

Postby Patrick » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:41 am

Cymru1991 wrote:Has to be Simon (Moon) for me. Although I think Anthony LaPaglia did an excellent job, he just irritated the hell out of me!

He's definitely the worst (uninvited) house-guest ever! :mrgreen:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Emil » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi there Frasier fans; this is my first post on this forum! :)

I think jodoya is the only one who mentioned Julia so far. She's my least favorite; that whole storyline with the love-hate relationship; her rivalry with Roz etc just makes me cringe; not really sure why. And the way Frasier and Julia fall in love is... lame.
Emil

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Emil wrote:Hi there Frasier fans; this is my first post on this forum! :)

I think jodoya is the only one who mentioned Julia so far. She's my least favorite; that whole storyline with the love-hate relationship; her rivalry with Roz etc just makes me cringe; not really sure why. And the way Frasier and Julia fall in love is... lame.

Welcome to the board. :)

I liked Julia. Felicity Huffman was great in making a fairly dislikeable character very watchable. It's the break-up episode i like most, though.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:55 am

I liked Julia too. She had some good episodes and I have always loved Felicity Huffman so that helped.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Emil wrote:Hi there Frasier fans; this is my first post on this forum! :)

:twisted: Welcome Emil :-)

I'm not a Julia fan either :lol:
The breakup episode was by far the best just to see Frasier put her out on her ass.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:17 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I liked Julia too. She had some good episodes and I have always loved Felicity Huffman so that helped.

I am not too sure about that. I saw her once in another sitcom and she played the exact same role, same mannerisms, even same expressions. I tend to think that the good actors are the ones that you can barely recognize when they play a different character, like Patrick Stewart who is as believable when he plays a gay man as when he plays a straight one, for example.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Patrick wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I liked Julia too. She had some good episodes and I have always loved Felicity Huffman so that helped.

I am not too sure about that. I saw her once in another sitcom and she played the exact same role, same mannerisms, even same expressions. I tend to think that the good actors are the ones that you can barely recognize when they play a different character, like Patrick Stewart who is as believable when he plays a gay man as when he plays a straight one, for example.

She was in Sportsnight and I loved her in that. (agree, somewhat similar character but not entirely) I also liked her in Desperate Housewives. She actually does drama very well. Check out Transamerica sometime. She's absolutely amazing in it.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby daphy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm shocked no one has said Poppy.
daphy

Postby Patrick » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:34 am

Ann, from the Ann Who Came To Dinner. What a horrible person this is. To me it's beyond belief that Frasier even allowed something like that to happen given his previous experience with her.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Prehensile1982 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm quoting a 21 month old post, but......

SimonW wrote:Most of the British characters, especially Daphne's mum and her brother Simon.

This.

Even if their accents were remotely accurate, they're still horrible characters and the only thing I honestly didn't like about the later seasons.
Prehensile1982

Postby Patrick » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Prehensile1982 wrote:I'm quoting a 21 month old post, but......

SimonW wrote:Most of the British characters, especially Daphne's mum and her brother Simon.

This.

Even if their accents were remotely accurate, they're still horrible characters and the only thing I honestly didn't like about the later seasons.

It seems like a rule of thumb in shows like this that the foreigners will be depicted in a very unflattering way. The French people are no more accurate or realistic for example. I have dined in countless French restaurants (being French myself that's not that much of an exploit) and not even once have I witnessed a scene like the one where the owner is arguing out loud with his wife and daughter and saying things like "I spit in your bisque" . He wouldn't stay in business very long if he did and if anything we French are much more private in our dealings than Americans as shown in television. The same can be said about the Greeks in Beware of Greeks for example or the Germans in an Affair to Forget... to name a few.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Prehensile1982 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Patrick wrote:It seems like a rule of thumb in shows like this that the foreigners will be depicted in a very unflattering way. The French people are no more accurate or realistic for example. I have dined in countless French restaurants (being French myself that's not that much of an exploit) and not even once have I witnessed a scene like the one where the owner is arguing out loud with his wife and daughter and saying things like "I spit in your bisque" . He wouldn't stay in business very long if he did and if anything we French are much more private in our dealings than Americans as shown in television. The same can be said about the Greeks in Beware of Greeks for example or the Germans in an Affair to Forget... to name a few.

It's true. To be fair, many British sitcoms paint foreigners, including Americans, in the same kind of unflattering light.

Sometimes it works in the name of comedy, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe I'm bias but I just think Daphne's family are the most egregious examples I can recollect.
Prehensile1982

Postby Eddie2012 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:20 pm

I don't think it was too bad on Frasier, though. Sure, it can be a bit tiring for the 'targeted' nation (for me, mostly the fact that they use the same stereotypes over and over again, like all Germans being Bavarian and all French being obsessed with wine, etc.), but they ususally had also nice things to say about them.

And I loved 'Robert', the French shopkeeper :-). Completely over the top as well, but just great :D
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:00 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:I don't think it was too bad on Frasier, though. Sure, it can be a bit tiring for the 'targeted' nation (for me, mostly the fact that they use the same stereotypes over and over again, like all Germans being Bavarian and all French being obsessed with wine, etc.), but they ususally had also nice things to say about them.

And I loved 'Robert', the French shopkeeper :-). Completely over the top as well, but just great :D

Yes, there were some funny lines there.

Robert: Are you calling me a... ROBERT!?

Someone: ROBERT!

Robert: not now! :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby stephenthom » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 am

I find claire annoying, with her haiku spouting and recommending the director's cut of das boot to someone trying to queue to buy a dvd player.
stephenthom

Postby The Bobby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Gertrude Moon or Simon Moon
The Bobby

Postby PistolPoet » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 pm

daphy wrote:I'm shocked no one has said Poppy.

Yes, I absolutely hate Poppy and I think her character is inconsistent. It's quite impossible that someone so thoroughly annoying in Everyone's a Critic can suddenly change completely in front of Niles in Rivals.
Also, I know she appears for just a few minutes in High Holidays, but I abhor that French girl and her over-the-top accent.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:00 pm

PistolPoet wrote:

Yes, I absolutely hate Poppy and I think her character is inconsistent. It's quite impossible that someone so thoroughly annoying in Everyone's a Critic can suddenly change completely in front of Niles in Rivals.
Also, I know she appears for just a few minutes in High Holidays, but I abhor that French girl and her over-the-top accent.

It's a fake accent BTW, no real French would talk quite this way. The way she says "garagiste" for example which is a French word, doesn't sound French at all.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 am

Patrick wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:

It's a fake accent BTW, no real French would talk quite this way. The way she says "garagiste" for example which is a French word, doesn't sound French at all.

Yeah, I started learning French some time ago and I was able to roll my eyes at her with good arguments :).

Btw, can you possibly tell me what in the name of everything is Clint Webber saying? In The Perfect Guy Roz asks him if he speaks French, and he spouts a lot of nonsense. I can only sort of make out "belles femmes" at the end.
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 am

PistolPoet wrote:...
Btw, can you possibly tell me what in the name of everything is Clint Webber saying? In The Perfect Guy Roz asks him if he speaks French, and he spouts a lot of nonsense. I can only sort of make out "belles femmes" at the end.

He says: "Seulement quand je suis avec une belle femme." "Only when I am with a beautiful woman." But I agree his accent is really bad.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:04 am

Thank you! I was starting to think it was made-up French, like the made-up Mandarin later in the episode.
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:31 am

PistolPoet wrote:Thank you! I was starting to think it was made-up French, like the made-up Mandarin later in the episode.

It is? Do you know that for a fact? A few months back I watched an episode of Two And a Half Men and I was surprised that the Polish woman (who didn't know a word of English) spoke actual Polish with a varsovian accent (that's where my mother's from). Well, I guess they thought it wasn't worth the effort to teach that actor a few words of actual Mandarin. I hear it's tough for a beginner. A friend of mine learned Japanese in college (which is easier to pronounce as a rule than Chinese) and told me that for the first year they kept doing articulating exercises because the words were so hard to say.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes