Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Frasier Episode You Watched.

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: The Last Frasier Episode You Watched.

Postby kambell » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Frasier fans - I just joined. I wasn't watching TV much during the Frasier years, so I missed most of it back then, but now I'm watching it on Netflix. I LOVE Frasier - it's so addicting. The one I watched last night was the last one Daphne was on before going to the 'fat farm' (season 8).
kambell

Postby Patrick » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:58 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:I disagree. I never saw his aversion to sports as strongly on Cheers as it was on Frasier. He wasn't a sports nut by any means but the open disdain for anything sport was intensified about a million times by the time Frasier rolled around.

None of that really bothers me though. I pretty much just put it down to "stuff that happens in TV Land." Obviously there are a few things that rankle me about this show (the whole Crucible issue for one) but mostly I try to just go with the flow.

The Thanksgiving episode is also one of those rare occasions when we see Vera (though with her face hidden by a cream-pie), we hear her talk a few time times during the show, once on tape when Norm suspects that she's cheating on him. And that makes Vera, in spite of her elusiveness a great deal more real than Maris.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby hansenkd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:59 am

I guess the thing that is bothersome about the whole thing is mainly the impression given in "Hooping Cranes" that Niles has never been there before. So he goes once, is a hero, forgets the whole thing, goes again, and is a hero again, and nobody remembers the first heroic journey? Really? It's like the writer of "Hooping Cranes" didn't even realize that "Head Game" existed.

This is the sort of thing they give names to on TVTropes. Episodic Amnesia and that sort of thing.
hansenkd

Postby Frasiertime » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Dinner at Eight - S1 A few things I love about this ep - The double take Niles does the first time he sees Daphne. "You're Daphne?"

When Daphne gets a feeling while shaking Nile's hand and Fraiser says, "She's phychic, we've decided to find it charming."

When Niles and Frasier don't want to go to Martin's restaurant and Martin does a very exaggerated LIMP toward the kitchen saying, "I'm sure Daphne has something in the frig for me."

Oh yes, at The Timber Mill restaurant the slices of tree trunk they use for table tops, especially the one they put the cash register one - so typical of what a "Martin" restaurant would look like. They really knew what they were doing in those early episodes didn't they?
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby woggle » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Author , author 4.5/5

Love the crazy fight at the end hehe and also at one point u can see the screen on the laptop is blank even thou they are supposed to be using it ... always a woopsie i like to have a little sniff at .
woggle

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:04 pm

woggle wrote:Author , author 4.5/5

Love the crazy fight at the end hehe and also at one point u can see the screen on the laptop is blank even thou they are supposed to be using it ... always a woopsie i like to have a little sniff at .

:twisted: What's better than a perfect episode?
An episode with one tiny flaw we can pick at all evening :lol:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby welshben23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:21 pm

If this was an off-topic thread I'd be all over that but I shall refrain. :)
welshben23

Postby Patrick » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Forever Jung wrote:

:twisted: What's better than a perfect episode?
An episode with one tiny flaw we can pick at all evening :lol:

I remember that episode (Retirement is Murder), Niles tries to say "carte des digestifs" and instead utters something that sounds like carte dvijastit... :lol: that's even worse than that time when Martin tried to say "Vive l'amour!". :wink:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frasiertime » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:51 am

Goodnight Seattle - I am impressed each time I watch by the way they put the cast as well as some of the writers and producers behind the glass for Frasier's final broadcast. Of course, the first time I saw it I wasn't aware there were writers and producers in the scene.

That was great how over the years there were so many "references" and hidden meanings. Too bad we weren't always aware of what they were.

For instance, I once saw a list of all the celebrities that "called in" to the radio show. It's a shame we didn't know who they were before the show, because there were only a few I recognized during the call.
Frasiertime

Postby Patrick » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 am

Frasiertime wrote:Goodnight Seattle - I am impressed each time I watch by the way they put the cast as well as some of the writers and producers behind the glass for Frasier's final broadcast. Of course, the first time I saw it I wasn't aware there were writers and producers in the scene.

That was great how over the years there were so many "references" and hidden meanings. Too bad we weren't always aware of what they were.

For instance, I once saw a list of all the celebrities that "called in" to the radio show. It's a shame we didn't know who they were before the show, because there were only a few I recognized during the call.

The thing is that the actors who call in have to be good. Beginners in the film/tv business usually start with non speaking roles. It's a breakthrough when they get to say a line, let alone when they have an entire conversation as is usually the case with the callers. It was really smart to get celebrities to do it though.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby woggle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:10 pm

welshben23 wrote:

If this was an off-topic thread I'd be all over that but I shall refrain. :)

Hahaha only you could see that in my post ..lol
woggle

Postby Frasiertime » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 am

Fathers and Sons S-10
Every time I watch this ep, I wonder if the writers intended for us to draw our own conclusions regarding Frasier and Niles's biological father. At the end when Martin asks Leland how much he loved Hester, it was pretty obvious to Leland what Martin was getting at and perhaps Leland only said he was gay to spare Martin's feelings.

It would explain something about Hester I never understood. Why didn't she try to get the boys to spend more quality time with Martin doing things Martin enjoyed? That never made sense to me given the fact it obviously bothered Martin a great deal. Perhaps because Leland was their father and Hester was content to let them be like their real father. Maybe Leland didn't know he was their father or even if he did, he and Hester didn't want to hurt Martin by bringing it out in the open.

I wondered why the writers chose to have Hester have an affair in the first place (although it was with someone other than Leland) and why didn't Hester try to protect the kids from some of the "bullying" about their actions and the way they dressed.

We know the writers sometimes had little "hidden meanings" in the scripts. Like the name "Hester", I had never heard of that name and I looked it up and found "Hester" was the name of the woman everyone condemned in the book "the Scarlet Letter".....just thinking...what if?
Frasiertime

Postby Patrick » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:46 am

Frasiertime wrote:Fathers and Sons S-10
Every time I watch this ep, I wonder if the writers intended for us to draw our own conclusions regarding Frasier and Niles's biological father. At the end when Martin asks Leland how much he loved Hester, it was pretty obvious to Leland what Martin was getting at and perhaps Leland only said he was gay to spare Martin's feelings.

It would explain something about Hester I never understood. Why didn't she try to get the boys to spend more quality time with Martin doing things Martin enjoyed? That never made sense to me given the fact it obviously bothered Martin a great deal. Perhaps because Leland was their father and Hester was content to let them be like their real father. Maybe Leland didn't know he was their father or even if he did, he and Hester didn't want to hurt Martin by bringing it out in the open.

I wondered why the writers chose to have Hester have an affair in the first place (although it was with someone other than Leland) and why didn't Hester try to protect the kids from some of the "bullying" about their actions and the way they dressed.

We know the writers sometimes had little "hidden meanings" in the scripts. Like the name "Hester", I had never heard of that name and I looked it up and found "Hester" was the name of the woman everyone condemned in the book "the Scarlet Letter".....just thinking...what if?

I disagree, taste and worldly manners are a product of upbringing and society, not to mention chance encounters, not genetics. My brother and I have absolutely nothing in common, yet we look so much alike that if not for the age difference people would likely mistake one for another. In fact it did happen a couple of times in spite of said age difference (he's 12 years older). Anyway, People who like the same things, tend to frequent the same kind of crowd and ultimately to behave the same way, there's nothing mysterious in that.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frasiertime » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Patrick wrote:
Frasiertime wrote:Fathers and Sons S-10

I disagree, taste and worldly manners are a product of upbringing and society, not to mention chance encounters, not genetics. My brother and I have absolutely nothing in common, yet we look so much alike that if not for the age difference people would likely mistake one for another. In fact it did happen a couple of times in spite of said age difference (he's 12 years older). Anyway, People who like the same things, tend to frequent the same kind of crowd and ultimately to behave the same way, there's nothing mysterious in that.

I agree taste and upbringing are not genetic. I'm saying if Hester had an affair with Leland and she believed the boys were his, she might have been content to let them be brought up the way she and Leland would probably raise them. I always wondered why she didn't try to introduce the kids to more of the things Martin enjoyed as well as the things she enjoyed.
Frasiertime

Postby Patrick » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Frasiertime wrote:...
I agree taste and upbringing are not genetic. I'm saying if Hester had an affair with Leland and she believed the boys were his, she might have been content to let them be brought up the way she and Leland would probably raise them. I always wondered why she didn't try to introduce the kids to more of the things Martin enjoyed as well as the things she enjoyed.

Well, for one thing, how could she be sure that both children were Leland's? or even one? Did she have them secretly genetically tested along with Leland? Plus Frasier and Niles are several years apart. That seems sleazy to have an affair for that long with a man, have somehow deliberately his children and have them raised by another man. Instead of doing the right thing, that is divorce Martin and Marry Leland. See what I mean? That would make of Hester quite an awful person.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:52 pm

There's no saying that the boys weren't introduced to things Martin liked. In fact, they did go camping and hated it. They played little league and hated it. You can't make kids love something they don't enjoy. I have a co-worker who has a situation very similar with her oldest son. He was a bookworm as a kid. Didn't like sports and didn't enjoy doing the things his dad enjoyed doing. They tried doing things together but it just didn't work out because the child didn't like it.

To me that has never been anything ambiguous about that episode. Hester was a wonderful and supportive friend to Leland in a time when being gay was far more difficult than it is today. There was nothing more than that. Martin is the boys' father.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Frasiertime » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Being a 50 year old mother of two, grandmother of three, I do agree with what you say CNR, about not being able to make kids love something they don't enjoy :) There were just things I question about Hester and I guess I overlooked how many references to other activities there were with the boys. I wonder why in the world they wrote in that whole affair episode? I didn't think it relevant to the series and I felt bad for Martin and the boys the way it all came out.

Fathers and Sons was a good ep and it's great fun bouncing our thoughts and ideas off one another and giving our different views on this site! :bounce:
Frasiertime

Postby woggle » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Roe To Perdition 4/5

One of my very few fav's from season 10 ... love Robert the shop owner , Roz's hankering for caviar and Niles and Frasiers faces when covered in the stuff right at the end . :D
woggle

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:14 pm

I love the end of that one too. Stuffing their faces full of caviar.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:59 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I love the end of that one too. Stuffing their faces full of caviar.

I love the final scene when the dog eats some of the caviar. :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:38 pm

:twisted: Out of interest, has anybody ever had caviar?
I couldn't stomach the thought of fish eggs myself (I don't know why).

Is Roz's addiction well founded?
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Out of interest, has anybody ever had caviar?

Caviar is good, not that I ate a lot of it. I happen to know someone who works at a Russian beluga caviar cannery and he made me taste the really good stuff and it was good but not so good that I would go crazy for it. I mean you can't really get addicted to something unless it contains substances that mess up with your body chemistry and I seriously doubt that it's the case with caviar. So no, I don't believe that Roz' addiction is well founded. I mean she acts like she tasted crack. Please! :roll:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Out of interest, has anybody ever had caviar?

I can't get myself close enough to it to taste it. And I've been presented with very fine caviar. It smells like the bottom of fish tank to me no matter how good it's supposed to be.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Patrick wrote: I mean you can't really get addicted to something unless it contains substances that mess up with your body chemistry

:twisted: That's because you have limited experience with English cooking, food of the Gods :D

*legs it before the inevitable tidal wave of disagreement :lol: *
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
Patrick wrote: I mean you can't really get addicted to something unless it contains substances that mess up with your body chemistry

:twisted: That's because you have limited experience with English cooking, food of the Gods :D

*legs it before the inevitable tidal wave of disagreement :lol: *

I'll just quote Frasier on that one :" Well, considering you learned to cook in England, it's a wonder I can tell your flank steak from a braised tennis ball."

:lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion