Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Boxed sets question

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Boxed sets question

Postby wooslem » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:38 am

hello out there
i have been doing a search for information about the quality of boxed sets. i have been a fan for years, we used to watch Frasier alot on paramount comedy back when we paid for tv! i have decided to ask santa for a boxed set so we can revisit all those great tv moments.
so i pose my question.
from what i have read on review pages there are problems with certain complete box sets packaging damaging the discs? could anyone give me any advise about how best to buy the seris from your experiance?
A. buy the big box set at a higher price?
B. go for the cheeper option as it makes no differance?
C. buy each seris individually and give my other half a cheeper option for now and so he doesnt have to think too hard about birthday/ christmas gifts for a few years?
with 4 kids and a huge renovation project ongoing we dont have the time to watch them all straight off anyway so waiting shoudnt be too painful. :shock:
i am really excited, though. i have not seen any Frasier for a few years but can still laugh outloud when i recall the scenes, i dont think there was one i didnt enjoy and i couldnt pick a favorate charactor let alone episode.
come to think of it why has it taken me so long? probably the renovation with 4 kids! :lol:
wooslem

Re: Boxed sets question

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:33 pm

:twisted: Welcome to the forum :D
I've got all 11 series in their individual box sets.
They all work fine, and I think they make a nice collection.

I seem to recall hearing that the iscs in the big box set are in individual card sleeves, and that doesn't appeal to me so much.
Perhaps someone can shed light on what the bonus material score is on the big box set?

If you're in no rush to get through all 11 series in one sitting i'd go with buying the seasons seperatly as and when you want them.
As you say, it will make things easier for your other half when it comes to buying for you at xmas and birthdays :lol:
Last edited by Forever Jung on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:41 pm

I've got individuaal box sets from way back when, but I'd probably buy the single complete set if i was looking for it nowadays. It's (relatively) dirt cheap in places - especially at this time of year. Better value than buying them separately. The more compact design for the set doesn't bother me.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby wooslem » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:26 pm

thanks but i have concerns about the cardboard packaging damaging the discs. as a Mum of 4 i know all abiut the pain of scratched discs and stuttering playback.
i am tempted by the reasonable prices but the reviews all point to the discs being knackered in the cheeper of the two available big sets!
i was hopeing someone may have the big box set and be able to say hey its faultless go for it. or run and buy the individual seris sets.
its the problem with remote shopping, you dont get to have a feel befre you buy!!!
wooslem

Postby Wezzo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:22 am

I have the complete UK set that you're referring to (I sold my individual sets to buy it, as it takes up so much less room and looks neater) and have had no issues with scratches. :)
Wezzo

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 am

I think the next step would be to put it all on a read-only hard drive. The entire series could easily fit in one movable hard-drive smaller than a cigarette pack. You just plug it in and then you can watch any episode using only your computer's interface.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby !Amz! » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:22 pm

I have all 11 seasons individually, as I do with Friends, Scrubs etc. Although if I didn't now I'd probably buy the 'complete' boxset as it would work out cheaper.
!Amz!

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Patrick wrote:I think the next step would be to put it all on a read-only hard drive. The entire series could easily fit in one movable hard-drive smaller than a cigarette pack. You just plug it in and then you can watch any episode using only your computer's interface.

Yep. Mine are all ripped to the HDD. Can't remember the last time i touched the box sets.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Eddie2012 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:11 am

I have the box set and some of the cd's won't play anymore or get stuck, especially when I rewind. I don't think it is a problem with my laptop as I don't have any problems with my music cd's.
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 am

Eddie2012 wrote:I have the box set and some of the cd's won't play anymore or get stuck, especially when I rewind. I don't think it is a problem with my laptop as I don't have any problems with my music cd's.

That's too bad, I hope you had saved them on your hard-drive before that happened.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am

Eddie2012 wrote:I have the box set and some of the cd's won't play anymore or get stuck, especially when I rewind. I don't think it is a problem with my laptop as I don't have any problems with my music cd's.

It may be the drive, funnily enough. Optics in drives, especially some of the flimsy laptop types, are prone to going skewy. The multi-drive in my laptop struggles with some CDs (and not just 'rights protected' ones), and occasionally DVDs. When burning data discs - never had any bother to a DVD, but it often fails with burning to CD. I end up using my older LG external drive for burning backups and it handles anything i chuck at it.

Have you tried your Frasier discs in other players without success? Hopefully you can find something to run them.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:05 pm

I just have one question: How do you rewind a cd? :shock:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Patrick wrote:

:lol: Never really thought about the fact that "rewind" is a term that sort of no longer means what it means.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:18 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:

:lol: Never really thought about the fact that "rewind" is a term that sort of no longer means what it means.

So what does it mean when applied to a cd?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Wezzo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Patrick wrote:So what does it mean when applied to a cd?

Either skipping backwards through tracks, or fast-backwards through a single track (usually by holding down the "previous track" button for a period)
Wezzo

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Patrick wrote:So what does it mean when applied to a cd?

Either skipping backwards through tracks, or fast-backwards through a single track (usually by holding down the "previous track" button for a period)

Yeah, I'd saying skipping backwards through tracks. I didn't know you actualy fast backwards through a single track.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:13 pm

I still occasionally like listening to vinyl records, but rewinding and fast-forwarding through video and music cassettes is one thing i'm perfectly happy to have left behind! :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Return to Off Topic Discussion