Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Footy Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Just watching the MotD highlights. Suarez definitely should have been given a penalty this week. Looks like refs are giving decisions based on past reputation rather than the actual challenge. Currently giving a green light to players to go through him and then claim a dive every time. I did chuckle when he hammered home that second goal just as the Norwich fans were singing that song about him :D Bet he'd like to play them every week.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Just watching the MotD highlights. Suarez definitely should have been given a penalty this week. Looks like refs are giving decisions based on past reputation rather than the actual challenge. Currently giving a green light to players to go through him and then claim a dive every time. I did chuckle when he hammered home that second goal just as the Norwich fans were singing that song about him :D Bet he'd like to play them every week.

The Norwich defender pushed him over and elbowed him in the neck on his way down - it was probably the most blatant penalty shout I've seen all season but because Suarez has a reputation he would need defenders to pull a gun on him and shoot him in the face in order to get anything! I just hope the "you know what you are!" brigade keep getting that song shoved down their throats for the rest of the season. Good to see a Man Ure defeat too, it made my weekend almost perfect.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:57 pm

A good day for Leighton Baines's international career i would think :lol:

Looks like Ashley might have saved the "#BunchOfTwats" a bit of time and effort in having to do something to celebrate his 100th cap. :D 99 and out?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:43 am

Im just starting to feel the Arsenal newbies are begginning to gel , Gervinio seem free-er in his role now RVP has gone and has found some sense of place i feel and as for Cazorla well buy of the seaqson for us by a mile :D
woggle

Postby Hans the German Butler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Ok - so Suarez dived. It was ridiculous and even slightly comical. But Tony Pulis needs to go on some anti-twunt training course. You cannot send your team out to kick the opposition off the pitch and then accuse your opponents of cheating. I hate Stoke - they make no attempt to play football. McCarthy's Wolves were the same. A bunch of thugs who just lumped the ball to the big bloke in the hope of getting a goal against the run of play. Pulis is a despicable man with a despicable approach to football.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:Ok - so Suarez dived. It was ridiculous and even slightly comical. But Tony Pulis needs to go on some anti-twunt training course. You cannot send your team out to kick the opposition off the pitch and then accuse your opponents of cheating. I hate Stoke - they make no attempt to play football. McCarthy's Wolves were the same. A bunch of thugs who just lumped the ball to the big bloke in the hope of getting a goal against the run of play. Pulis is a despicable man with a despicable approach to football.

I was surprised that, when Pulis was rambling on about Suarez, the interviewer didn't follow it up by asking whether Huth should have been sent off. He was very cynical throughout.

I'm not a Pulis fan. Fair play to him for keeping Stoke comfortably in the Premier league - it's no mean feat to survive - but he often tends to fall into a cynical style in my eyes, and always pleads the hard done to line. Similar to Sam Allardyce in many respects.

I'm with Paul Merson on the whole diving thing. We need a panel retospectively looking at Premiership incidents and handing out lengthy bans for any cheating. Gareth Bale's was an awful dive as well. Various people were trying to defend it as accidental/just trying to avoid a collision, etc, but that's shite in my eyes. It was simply not the motion you make to avoid contact.

I havne't seen the alleged elbow by RvP in our game, but i see the FA and ref have come out to say there's no further action to be taken anyway.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I was surprised that, when Pulis was rambling on about Suarez, the interviewer didn't follow it up by asking whether Huth should have been sent off. He was very cynical throughout.

I'm not a Pulis fan. Fair play to him for keeping Stoke comfortably in the Premier league - it's no mean feat to survive - but he often tends to fall into a cynical style in my eyes, and always pleads the hard done to line. Similar to Sam Allardyce in many respects.

I'm with Paul Merson on the whole diving thing. We need a panel retospectively looking at Premiership incidents and handing out lengthy bans for any cheating. Gareth Bale's was an awful dive as well. Various people were trying to defend it as accidental/just trying to avoid a collision, etc, but that's shite in my eyes. It was simply not the motion you make to avoid contact.

I havne't seen the alleged elbow by RvP in our game, but i see the FA and ref have come out to say there's no further action to be taken anyway.

I was at the game and even the crowd was screaming at Suarez to get up. I agree about retrospective punishment for divers because it would help stamp it out of the game. The thing is, as you say, every one is at it. Bale, Nani, RvP, Young. Something does need to be done. I think that teams that deliberately go out to stifle teams through unfair means and gamesmanship should be equally punished. Huth is a thug - he should have been sent off. Charlie Adam was booked but got away with half a dozen shocking challenges before he was even booked. A number of others were the same - going through our players like a dose of salts. More yellow and red cards issued for the cynical 'aren't I so clever' type of fouls would improve the standard of the football.

I saw the RvP incident this morning and it was clear enough to me that he looked, saw Cabaye closing in and threw the forearm. He should have been sent off. I think Mick McCarthy identified last year that RvP is dirty and cynical (pots and kettles come to mind from the former manage of Karl Henry) who tends to get away with his little swipes because he's seen as a flair player.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:I think Mick McCarthy identified last year that RvP is dirty and cynical (pots and kettles come to mind from the former manage of Karl Henry) who tends to get away with his little swipes because he's seen as a flair player.

Was it Dennis Bergkamp who used to be similar in the 'naughty' stakes? I'm sure he got away with a fair few dodgy things - probably because he was such a wizard with the ball.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:04 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Hans the German Butler wrote:I think Mick McCarthy identified last year that RvP is dirty and cynical (pots and kettles come to mind from the former manage of Karl Henry) who tends to get away with his little swipes because he's seen as a flair player.

Was it Dennis Bergkamp who used to be similar in the 'naughty' stakes? I'm sure he got away with a fair few dodgy things - probably because he was such a wizard with the ball.

Even i used to admit when he was at Arsenal that RVP was definaly leaving elbows and feet in where he shouldn't but i ignored it , i don't remember thinkin the same about Bergkamp thou .
woggle

Postby Hans the German Butler » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

Must admit I don't so much remember Bergkamp that way - but to be fair, Ian Wright used to leave his foot in enough for both of them!I remember Cantona and Di Canio being quite cynical, Shearer used to get away with murder too.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:23 pm

I thought i must have been remembering the wrong player after both your replies, so i asked a bunch of old Arsenal fans about Bergkamp and they surprisingly agreed that he was quite a dirty bastard masked by his genius ball skills. :lol: They were saying it's often come up on Gooner fan boards as people argued who was better between Bergkamp and RvP.

In other news, why are Newcastle being marked out by the media as a disgrace for accepting sponsorship from Wonga? How come other clubs get no grief for their sponsorship income from equally/more dubious companies in the loans or betting industry? Nobody seemed to give a shit about Wonga previously giving money to Blackpool and others. Now it's a huge deal?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Solid enough win for England without playing particularly well. 5-0 won't be enough for the press and the mouthier social media people, though, as everyone seems to want to compare it to the Dutch scoring 11 last year.

Good job we had Baines and Ox playing well enough on the left as i'm not sure what the hell Walker and Lennon were doing on the right all evening. Not sure what the point of Lennon is at all to be honest - he's not international quality. Pity Walcott was assaulted so early on and had to be replaced by Lennon.

I think we missed a Johnson or two on the right this evening. In spite of what the Spurs fans think, Walker isn't ahead of Glen Johnson in the right back role. Would have been nice to see what a combination of Glen and Adam Johnson could have done down the right against a team like this.

I know it's only San Marino, but Shelvey looked alright when he came on anyway. Certainly offered more than Carrick.

Good turn around for Wales against Scotland, Ben. Good old Gareth Bale, eh?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Solid enough win for England without playing particularly well. 5-0 won't be enough for the press and the mouthier social media people, though, as everyone seems to want to compare it to the Dutch scoring 11 last year.

Good job we had Baines and Ox playing well enough on the left as i'm not sure what the hell Walker and Lennon were doing on the right all evening. Not sure what the point of Lennon is at all to be honest - he's not international quality. Pity Walcott was assaulted so early on and had to be replaced by Lennon.

I think we missed a Johnson or two on the right this evening. In spite of what the Spurs fans think, Walker isn't ahead of Glen Johnson in the right back role. Would have been nice to see what a combination of Glen and Adam Johnson could have done down the right against a team like this.

I know it's only San Marino, but Shelvey looked alright when he came on anyway. Certainly offered more than Carrick.

Good turn around for Wales against Scotland, Ben. Good old Gareth Bale, eh?

Good old blatantly diving Gareth Bale. :lol: I won't complain though, if we'd got nothing out of that game after dominating it for large periods it would have been a travesty.
welshben23

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I thought i must have been remembering the wrong player after both your replies, so i asked a bunch of old Arsenal fans about Bergkamp and they surprisingly agreed that he was quite a dirty bastard masked by his genius ball skills. :lol: They were saying it's often come up on Gooner fan boards as people argued who was better between Bergkamp and RvP.

In other news, why are Newcastle being marked out by the media as a disgrace for accepting sponsorship from Wonga? How come other clubs get no grief for their sponsorship income from equally/more dubious companies in the loans or betting industry? Nobody seemed to give a shit about Wonga previously giving money to Blackpool and others. Now it's a huge deal?

I have an issue with those legalised loan shark organisations like Wonga, but NUFC is a business and it has a responsibility to its shareholders and stakeholders to get the best deal it can on sponsorships, within reasonable limits of course. So the uproar is just 'holier than thou' moralising. I suspect it's more of a concern that it would breach Sharia law for the two Dembas and Tiote to play in a shirt advertising money lenders.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 pm

What a farce in Poland. Good planning by UEFA to not force the Poles to close a perfectly good roof on the stadium when the rain started hours ago. Now it's apparently unable to be closed because of bad weather :lol:

I love the Polish FA's media officer's nonsense:
"We knew there would be heavy rain but we could not 100% predict the downpour. We will have a pitch inspection to decide whether we postpone the game by an hour, to tomorrow or to whenever. At the moment it is not possible to close the roof because of the heavy rain and the wind. It might be possible.

"There is no need for people to be our working on the pitch. We have a heating system which, if we close the roof, can dry the pitch in 30 minutes. I know this situation is not very nice, but please wait until the inspection."

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:What a farce in Poland. Good planning by UEFA to not force the Poles to close a perfectly good roof on the stadium when the rain started hours ago. Now it's apparently unable to be closed because of bad weather :lol:

"We knew there would be heavy rain but we could not 100% predict the downpour. We will have a pitch inspection to decide whether we postpone the game by an hour, to tomorrow or to whenever. At the moment it is not possible to close the roof because of the heavy rain and the wind. It might be possible.

"There is no need for people to be our working on the pitch. We have a heating system which, if we close the roof, can dry the pitch in 30 minutes. I know this situation is not very nice, but please wait until the inspection."

I just saw this on facebook, "Roy Hodgson to make two team changes if the game starts tonight. Tom Daley and Rebecca Adlington to play up front in place of Defoe & Rooney!" :lol:
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:11 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:What a farce in Poland. Good planning by UEFA to not force the Poles to close a perfectly good roof on the stadium when the rain started hours ago. Now it's apparently unable to be closed because of bad weather :lol:

I just saw this on facebook, "Roy Hodgson to make two team changes if the game starts tonight. Tom Daley and Rebecca Adlington to play up front in place of Defoe & Rooney!" :lol:

heh, what a shambles.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Can't believe the Serbian FA have come out and denied any racism from their fans, or any wrongdoing from their staff, during the under-21 game versus England last night. They've even got the gall to blame Danny Rose for causing the trouble - calling him the innapropriate and unsportsmanlike perpetrator amongst it all. Absolutely diabolical.

I'm amazed that nobody decided to walk off during the game last night - let alone having to deal with the crap at the end. I would have walked off on behalf of any team mate getting subjected to such vile bullshit.

No mention of any trouble on UEFA's own website and the silence from Platini and Blatter is deafening. If Serbia, who are already supposedly on their final warning, receive no sanction (i include a few thousand Euro fine as no sanction) then UEFA can eat shit.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Can't believe the Serbian FA have come out and denied any racism from their fans, or any wrongdoing from their staff, during the under-21 game versus England last night. They've even got the gall to blame Danny Rose for causing the trouble - calling him the innapropriate and unsportsmanlike perpetrator amongst it all. Absolutely diabolical.

I'm amazed that nobody decided to walk off during the game last night - let alone having to deal with the crap at the end. I would have walked off on behalf of any team mate getting subjected to such vile bullshit.

No mention of any trouble on UEFA's own website and the silence from Platini and Blatter is deafening. If Serbia, who are already supposedly on their final warning, receive no sanction (i include a few thousand Euro fine as no sanction) then UEFA can eat shit.

I was watching Sky Sports News the following day and even Dermot Gallagher said he would have understood if the management had taken the entire team off the pitch. It beggars belief that in this day and age - and especially in a country that had such a recent issue with supporting ethnic cleansing - that such ignorance and hatred actually exists. I guess you can't stop people thinking what they think but until it changes, Serbia start receiving bans from European competition, starting with qualifying for Brazil 2014.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Where the hell do privileged old white blokes like Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger get off on telling black players how to act with regards to a wishy-washy anti-racism campaign? I'm not especially a fan of Rio Ferdinand, but why should he promote something that's being seen as nothing more than a token exercise from people who effectively do nothing when the real issues need dealing with? I back Rio all the way on this.

Alex Ferguson saying that Rio not wearing a Kick It Out t-shirt has embarrassed him? Who the fuck does he think he is? What a prick.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:40 pm

I think Fergie still thinks there should be a school of the manager's word is law. Rio embarrassed him because he'd chosen to sound off about Jason Roberts the day before and then Rio turns out and does the same thing. Each player ultimately has to decide on the right step for him - but I do find Rio Ferdinand's self-righteous moralising a bit much, when he effectively re-tweeted racial abuse against Ashley Cole. If the rumours are to be believed he's also quite the misogynist, especially when it comes to his alleged penchant for spit-roasting parties.

I think there is a debate to be had about whether it's better to be inside the tent pissing out rather than outside pissing in. I'm not sure having a visible protest achieves more than trying to change the robustness of the campaign from within. Some perspective is required. The modern pro doesn't have to cope with anything like the abuse that Cyril Regis, Viv Anderson, John Barnes and Luther Blissett had to put up with back in the day - and their fortitude in the face of such staggering ignorance and racial hatred, along with the positive steps made by the Kick It Out campaign have created the situation we have today whereby the majority are now outraged by the events in Serbia last week. It has created a situation where most people actually would have liked to see John Terry dealt with more severely for his outburst and even a situation where I, as a Liverpool fan, can say that cultural differences cannot be considered an excuse for Suarez's behaviour vis a vis Patrice Evra. Kick It Out has, at least in part, helped shape the climate where we feel anger on behalf of the black players who still occasionally suffer abuse from the stands or their fellow pros. Kick It Out has already helped the great strides, they cannot now be held to account for the baby steps that remain, in this country at least, because of the actions of a small number of mindless cretins.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:41 pm

I agree it's probably better to try and work together to keep improving things. I've no particular problem with the Kick It Out initiative. I do, though, think i've got no right to tell a bunch of black players that they should be supporting something that they believe is not working for them as effectively as they'd hope. If they believe a number of things are nothing more than token nods then i have to back them to make that point. If a number of black players 'protesting' makes the Kick It Out/FA/Football League people reflect further and admit to their limitations then it's probably no bad thing. I'll never turn to them and say everything's better than it used to be so the work's done and they should be grateful blah blah.

I don't know much about Rio's personal life, so if he is a misogynist arse (like a fair few other footballers) then i absolutely condemn that side of things. Doesn't affect my view of backing him on the racism front. Misogyny in football is indeed rife, and another area that needs initiatives to deal with it. And, unsurprisingly, another problem that isn't helped by that idiot, Blatter, being in charge at the very top. :roll:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:35 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I agree it's probably better to try and work together to keep improving things. I've no particular problem with the Kick It Out initiative. I do, though, think i've got no right to tell a bunch of black players that they should be supporting something that they believe is not working for them as effectively as they'd hope. If they believe a number of things are nothing more than token nods then i have to back them to make that point. If a number of black players 'protesting' makes the Kick It Out/FA/Football League people reflect further and admit to their limitations then it's probably no bad thing. I'll never turn to them and say everything's better than it used to be so the work's done and they should be grateful blah blah.

I don't know much about Rio's personal life, so if he is a misogynist arse (like a fair few other footballers) then i absolutely condemn that side of things. Doesn't affect my view of backing him on the racism front. Misogyny in football is indeed rife, and another area that needs initiatives to deal with it. And, unsurprisingly, another problem that isn't helped by that idiot, Blatter, being in charge at the very top. :roll:

Like you, I wouldn't presume to tell black players how to respond to their perceived lack of action on the part of Kick It Out. Today though there is talk of Rio setting up a black players union. I don't see the point of that because it then just becomes an 'us and them' scenario, which perpetuates the idea that there are differences between the players; which is more likely to make the ignorant members of society play up to those perceived 'differences'.

John Barnes made the point yesterday that racism is more society's problem than football's problem. I think that's right. The guy who shoved Kirkland in the face was given 4 months imprisonment after a single weekend's deliberations. Why can't similar processes be applied to racist or homophobic behaviour? At Liverpool, every home game the tannoy announcer says, "if you hear it, report it to a steward or police officer". Fellow fans need to stop burying their heads and shop those who who engage in vile chanting. Most people wouldn't dream of shouting racist abuse in the street but put them in a crowd where they feel there's a chance of anonymity and they think they're bulletproof. The rest of us really need to make sure that they are not.

My view on Rio's alleged misogyny was more that if he wants to be taken seriously he should eschew all prejudice, including that against women and other black players who happen to behave in a manner he disapproves of. He's not wrong about the racism issue, it just has the capacity to be drowned out by his staggering hypocrisy.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Yep, no need for players to have separate players unions, i'd hope. Just get more involved with the players union, i suppose. Who runs the players union at the moment? I'm sure Rio could look to get into that area if he feels so strongly. Is Clark Carlisle a spokesman for the union, or am i getting it mixed up with some other footballing body?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Yep, no need for players to have separate players unions, i'd hope. Just get more involved with the players union, i suppose. Who runs the players union at the moment? I'm sure Rio could look to get into that area if he feels so strongly. Is Clark Carlisle a spokesman for the union, or am i getting it mixed up with some other footballing body?

I'm sure you're right, Clark Carlisle is a PFA spokesman. Far more articulate in the role than Rio Ferdinand too! I just can't take his protestations seriously after his retweet about Ashley Cole - how can you be an anti-racism spokesman when you retweet black on black racism to your hundreds of thousands of followers?
Hans the German Butler

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion