Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

2012 Olympics

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:So why exactly are you Brits so good at rowing?

It's a 'sitting-down' sport - that's why we're shit-hot at cycling, too :lol: Don't make us stand and do stuff!

Although we seem to be pretty good at Heptathlon and Long-jump at the moment too. On the rowing question it's probably because we get so much rain that we're hard-wired to be able to get a quick escape in the event of a flood.

:lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:30 pm

I was watching the water polo earlier - wow, those guys must have incredible upper body strength. In fact, their body shape is almost an inverted triangle. :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:37 am

Dorset Girl wrote:I was watching the water polo earlier - wow, those guys must have incredible upper body strength. In fact, their body shape is almost an inverted triangle. :lol:

Water polo isn't that dangerous? It sure is, I've had two ponies drown under me! :lol:

That has to be one of my favourite quotes from the history of cinema.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Andy Murray appears to be kicking Federer's ass. (this might already be done there but it's just on TV here right now).
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:11 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Andy Murray appears to be kicking Federer's ass. (this might already be done there but it's just on TV here right now).

He needs to hold serve to win. Nails being bitten now!
Hans the German Butler

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:15 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Andy Murray appears to be kicking Federer's ass. (this might already be done there but it's just on TV here right now).

He needs to hold serve to win. Nails being bitten now!

And he does it!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:20 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:And he does it!

Amazing!!! I've never seen Federer be so comprehensively outplayed. Glad he didn't have a five-setter because he and Laura Robson are in with a chance of gold in the mixed doubles later.
Hans the German Butler

Postby welshben23 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Federer wasn't at the top of his game but well done Andy Murray. He destroyed him.
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 am

That was a great result. Federer was absolutely 100% determined to win the Olympics this year as it was likely his last realistic opportunity to win and complete the career 'golden' slam.

Murray's beaten Djokovic and Fed to win that gold, so he certainly deserves it.

Super 100m final this evening, too. Bolt showed how far above the competition he is, but what a final. Had Powell not been injured we'd have had a full house of sub-10-second runs. Incredible.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:10 am

Moon-Crane wrote:That was a great result. Federer was absolutely 100% determined to win the Olympics this year as it was likely his last realistic opportunity to win and complete the career 'golden' slam.

Murray's beaten Djokovic and Fed to win that gold, so he certainly deserves it.

Super 100m final this evening, too. Bolt showed how far above the competition he is, but what a final. Had Powell not been injured we'd have had a full house of sub-10-second runs. Incredible.

The only disappointment was seeing Gatlin there. After two doping bans and a fairly unrepentant attitude surely he shouldn't have been anywhere near the Olympics!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:39 am

Yes, i'd have much preferred to see Tyson Gay take that third place. Must be disappointing to lose out on a medal to someone found guilty of being a drug cheat. I don't know how you don't get a life ban for being caught more than once?

Michael Johnson didn't appear too enthralled that Gatlin took 3rd, either. I think it kills him to see what's happened within his sport.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Been so worn out latley must be the cheering ive been doin what with all this .....winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Can't remember a better day then saturday and we just got our first horsey gold in the olympics in 60 years in the team showjumping . Must be putting something in the water .. well seems thats what the french think after taking a swipe at us it was in the paper , how can we keep winning cycling and how can Jess Ennis run a 800m without being tired? er coz they all worked threre arse of an are super fit thats why!
woggle

Postby Hans the German Butler » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Yes, i'd have much preferred to see Tyson Gay take that third place. Must be disappointing to lose out on a medal to someone found guilty of being a drug cheat. I don't know how you don't get a life ban for being caught more than once?

Michael Johnson didn't appear too enthralled that Gatlin took 3rd, either. I think it kills him to see what's happened within his sport.

I was having a similar conversation in work today. You can write off one occurrence as being down to something you've accidentally eaten or drunk; you could put it down to not being able to cope with the pressure of 'having' to succeed, or the fact that all people make mistakes or misjudgements. In such circumstances I'm not totally against giving a second chance. But if someone has two offences there can be no excuses left and it should be a life ban.
Hans the German Butler

Postby welshben23 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Yes, i'd have much preferred to see Tyson Gay take that third place. Must be disappointing to lose out on a medal to someone found guilty of being a drug cheat. I don't know how you don't get a life ban for being caught more than once?

I was having a similar conversation in work today. You can write off one occurrence as being down to something you've accidentally eaten or drunk; you could put it down to not being able to cope with the pressure of 'having' to succeed, or the fact that all people make mistakes or misjudgements. In such circumstances I'm not totally against giving a second chance. But if someone has two offences there can be no excuses left and it should be a life ban.

I completely agree. He's also had two other "dirty" samples in his career and has never apologised or shown any remorse for any of them.
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Good work by the Brownlee brothers in the triathlon. Pity about the time penalty on one of them, but it doens't actually look like it made any difference to his finishing position.

Pity for the Brit fall-outs in the men's triple jump and the women's javelin. Thought there were chances in both.

What's getting the main coverage Stateside, Cat? Who are the US athletes getting the focus this week?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Now that the swimming and most of the gymnastics events are done, the main focus has been on our track and field athletes. I'm not a big fan of the track and field events so I don't really even know who any of these people are. Our women's volleyball and soccer teams have been getting some of the limelight though. Our women soccer players beating Canada yesterday was big news.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:39 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Now that the swimming and most of the gymnastics events are done, the main focus has been on our track and field athletes. I'm not a big fan of the track and field events so I don't really even know who any of these people are. Our women's volleyball and soccer teams have been getting some of the limelight though. Our women soccer players beating Canada yesterday was big news.

I watched the end of that Canada v USA match last night. Looked like they got away with it a little, but that's fair enough - you take your luck when you get it. They did the job well.

How are they reporting the US medal total? Happy or unhappy with it so far?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Now that the swimming and most of the gymnastics events are done, the main focus has been on our track and field athletes. I'm not a big fan of the track and field events so I don't really even know who any of these people are. Our women's volleyball and soccer teams have been getting some of the limelight though. Our women soccer players beating Canada yesterday was big news.

I watched the end of that Canada v USA match last night. Looked like they got away with it a little, but that's fair enough - you take your luck when you get it. They did the job well.

Very happy with the medal count thus far. Fell short in the men's gymnastics events (I think we've only medaled in one event so far) but we've made up for it in other areas. I believe as of yesterday, we were 1 shy of the Chinese in total medals and 2 or 3 behind in the gold medal category. I imagine we'll have a couple more gold medals in women's beach volleyball and men's and women's basketball for sure.

I imagine GB is happy with their medal count so far? You guys have been kicking some serious butt in those "sit down" sports! :lol: (I believe you scored another gold in a cycling event yesterday didn't you?)
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:06 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Very happy with the medal count thus far. Fell short in the men's gymnastics events (I think we've only medaled in one event so far) but we've made up for it in other areas. I believe as of yesterday, we were 1 shy of the Chinese in total medals and 2 or 3 behind in the gold medal category. I imagine we'll have a couple more gold medals in women's beach volleyball and men's and women's basketball for sure.

Basketball has to be nailed on gold. Nobody else is going to come near.

I imagine GB is happy with their medal count so far? You guys have been kicking some serious butt in those "sit down" sports! :lol: (I believe you scored another gold in a cycling event yesterday didn't you?)

GB are certainly exceeding expectations. There were some foolish commentators and 'experts' lamenting the lack of gold medals after the first three days, but they must have been on crack or something as i don't remember us ever winning many medals in the early events.

:D Yep another good day in the cycling yesterday, with Jason Kenny winning the men's sprint. He pretty much destroyed everyone in it.

Hoping for Chris Hoy, Victoria Pendleton and Laura Trott to pick up further cycling medals later today. Going to be tough. Trott's up against a decent American, Sarah Hammer, for you to cheer in the Omnium.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

I saw the 2nd half but had to go to bed so missed thew xtra time what a half of footy dispite the fact it looked like they kicked seven belles out of each other .

OMG i couldn't help but shed a tear when chris hoy won his sixth gold :D
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 pm

woggle wrote:OMG i couldn't help but shed a tear when chris hoy won his sixth gold :D

Amazing for Hoy and Trott to each win gold. Pity for Pendleton to 'only' take silver, but we've had an amazing time in the cycling.

Thought you'd have been straight on to post about the GB dressage gold? :D

Looking forward to the BMXing from tomorrow!

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:23 pm

I like watching most of the equestrian events but I don't know how anyone can watch dressage. It's seriously the most godawful boring horse event ever invented! Even my sister who rode dressage for years can't stand to watch it!

Ok, it's about that time of afternoon now where I have to avoid all things media and this thread so as not to be spoiled for any main events which air tonight in the US. Diving, individual gymnastics and some track and field events.
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:OMG i couldn't help but shed a tear when chris hoy won his sixth gold :D

Amazing for Hoy and Trott to each win gold. Pity for Pendleton to 'only' take silver, but we've had an amazing time in the cycling.

I thought i did haha winning so much im forgetting to post stuff , it was a fantastic win Hester horse Uthopia was brill in fact all the team were fantastic ! We also have individual dressage & showjumoing to go .

I do agree with you Cat somewhat thou as in the equestian events i do watch dressage will come at the bottom but i still enjoy watching it as i look for the tiny defects in performance that will affect the score as i did earlier for me mum as she had no idea what was goin on .
woggle

Postby woggle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

Been waiting for ages for that to!! go Shanaze Reade . I so want her to do well esp after what happened to her last time .
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:16 pm

One of my friends is volunteering at the Aquatic Centre. She's been posting photos of celebs and athletes all week. Today she posted this self portrait:

I think that's pretty cool. :D
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion