Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

2012 Olympics

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby Hans the German Butler » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Doing alright again today. Some canoe gold and silver, a rowing silver, a judo silver and a shooting gold.

It was looking good for a gold/silver shootout for the women's team sprint in the track cycling, but the refs are discussing disqualifying them. No idea what's going on with that at the moment. GB men are looking strong in their sprint event, as well.

Disappointing to see the ladies pursuit cyclists disqualified from the gold medal race though. Hope on Hoy now!
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby woggle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:
kat wrote:Brilliant result in the men's road race for Team GB and thankfully the end of all the "when will we get the first Gold?" stories thanks to the rowers, despite being sceptical for a while about the games, as they are happening am loving all the varied sport on TV

Me to , currently watching the trap shooting .

I was just jumping up and down cheerng on Gemma whos in the judo final :D ya know i really do think all the suppoer GB are getting is pushing some of them to do their best :)

Doing alright again today. Some canoe gold and silver, a rowing silver, a judo silver and a shooting gold.

It was looking good for a gold/silver shootout for the women's team sprint in the track cycling, but the refs are discussing disqualifying them. No idea what's going on with that at the moment. GB men are looking strong in their sprint event, as well.

I still have no real idea if what we did wrong ..lol but it was a shame esp for one of the girls who its her only event :( felt a bit sorry for her earlier .

We are lying 1st and 2nd in the individual dressage right now . Plus the womens hockey team won their 3rd game in a row against belgium tonight . Has been an awsome day!
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Doing alright again today. Some canoe gold and silver, a rowing silver, a judo silver and a shooting gold.

Disappointing to see the ladies pursuit cyclists disqualified from the gold medal race though. Hope on Hoy now!

The men certainly did their job!
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:23 pm

More great swimming from Phelps tonight. I'm still not sure i'd rate him as the greatest ever Olympian, but he's certainly the top swimmer. Put his pretender Lochte in his place.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:47 pm

Great day for GB today. But I've got to say, we're abysmal at Basketball apart from Luol Deng. :lol: I was going to start a new thread for this but I think I'll just ask on here as it's an Olympics question.

What is the first Olympic Games that you remember watching?
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:55 pm

welshben23 wrote:Great day for GB today. But I've got to say, we're abysmal at Basketball apart from Luol Deng. :lol: I was going to start a new thread for this but I think I'll just ask on here as it's an Olympics question.

We seem to be crap at all 'sports hall' type sports. Basketball, Volleyball, Handball, etc. Whoever said we're good at the sitty-down type sports had a point :lol:

First Olympics i can remember was LA '84. I remember the jet pac man from the opening ceremony :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:43 pm

welshben23 wrote:Great day for GB today. But I've got to say, we're abysmal at Basketball apart from Luol Deng. :lol: I was going to start a new thread for this but I think I'll just ask on here as it's an Olympics question.

I think '84 was the first for me too. I remember the furore about the USSR not competing in retaliation for the US team not going to Moscow in 1980. I also remember jet-pack man. I have vague recollections of Coe winning the 1500m in Moscow in 1980, but I couldn't swear that I remember it as such, I may just remember later coverage. I think '88 was the most memorable, but for the wrong reasons, with that 100m final.
Hans the German Butler

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:07 am

1972 Winter Games in Sapporo Japan. I was 8 years old and in 2nd grade. I remember we had some projects we had to do for the Olympics and I painted a huge ski hill with stick figures skiing down it!

And I have watched every single Olympics since. (except perhaps 1980 Moscow because I'm not sure they even aired in the US)
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:39 am

The first Olympics I can remember was Seoul '88. I was only 6 years old but I definitely remember the infamous 100M final and Barry Davies' immortal words "Where were the Germans, but frankly who cares?" when the British Hockey team won Gold. The first Winter Olympics I remember was also 1988 in Calgary when Alberto Tomba won 2 Gold medals and of course Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards.
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:54 pm

I'd have been 6 during the 80 olympics so I probably should be able to remember something from it - but i really don't. Don't recall the Seb Coe/Steve Ovett rivalry there, Alan Wells in the 100m or Daley Thompson's decathlon. For 84, I clearly remember a bunch of Brit performances: Thompson in the decathlon, Tessa Sanderson in the javelin and Steve Cram joining the Coe/Ovett battle in the middle distance running (hard to believe we once had three of the world's best in the 800/1500 races) - and USA's Carl Lewis making his name worldwide.

Anyway, it's been a good morning for the brits in the rowing.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:More great swimming from Phelps tonight. I'm still not sure i'd rate him as the greatest ever Olympian, but he's certainly the top swimmer. Put his pretender Lochte in his place.

The problem I have with calling Phelps or any swimmer the "Greatest Ever" is that if you're measuring it by medal standards you have to look at all the opportunities a swimmer has to medal over some other sport where they only have one event. Swimmers in particular can complete in up to 8 events in a single Olympics. There are a few other sports that have that advantage (track and field, diving, gymnastics) but I think swimming has the most. A guy like Phelps has the chance to win medals in 7 or 8 events whereas someone involved in say basketball, judo, weightlifting etc. only has a chance to medal once.

Certainly Phelps is an amazing athlete and even though I thought he gave up in a couple of races this time around, he's proven himself a great Olympic Champion. I'm just not sure if he's the Greatest Ever.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hans the German Butler » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:11 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:The problem I have with calling Phelps or any swimmer the "Greatest Ever" is that if you're measuring it by medal standards you have to look at all the opportunities a swimmer has to medal over some other sport where they only have one event. Swimmers in particular can complete in up to 8 events in a single Olympics. There are a few other sports that have that advantage (track and field, diving, gymnastics) but I think swimming has the most. A guy like Phelps has the chance to win medals in 7 or 8 events whereas someone involved in say basketball, judo, weightlifting etc. only has a chance to medal once.

Certainly Phelps is an amazing athlete and even though I thought he gave up in a couple of races this time around, he's proven himself a great Olympic Champion. I'm just not sure if he's the Greatest Ever.

I think Carl Lewis certainly has to be in with a shout for greatest of all time - having competed in vastly different events that were actually weight bearing events. Steve Redgrave for longevity and stamina has to be up there. Decathletes are pretty impressive too as all round athletes - shamefully, I can't think of any others than our own Daley Thompson.
Hans the German Butler

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Bruce Jenner was a decathalete.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hans the German Butler » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Bruce Jenner was a decathalete.

Of course - I just totally blanked earlier whn I was trying to think of notable decathletes. I later remembered Dan O'Brien who was particularly impressive in Atlanta.
Hans the German Butler

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:03 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Bruce Jenner was a decathalete.

Of course - I just totally blanked earlier whn I was trying to think of notable decathletes. I later remembered Dan O'Brien who was particularly impressive in Atlanta.

I was trying to think of Dan O'Brien's name before and couldn't come up with it. I'm not nearly as into the track and field events as I am a lot of the equatic events. The swimming and diving have always been my favorite things in the summer games. Alpine skiing is my favorite in the winter games.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hans the German Butler » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:34 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I was trying to think of Dan O'Brien's name before and couldn't come up with it. I'm not nearly as into the track and field events as I am a lot of the equatic events. The swimming and diving have always been my favorite things in the summer games. Alpine skiing is my favorite in the winter games.

I think the hockey must be my favourite Winter Olympics sport. The final last time out between the US and Canada was epic. I must admit I have a soft spot for curling. It looks like a sport that was invented by cleaning ladies.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:25 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:The problem I have with calling Phelps or any swimmer the "Greatest Ever" is that if you're measuring it by medal standards you have to look at all the opportunities a swimmer has to medal over some other sport where they only have one event. Swimmers in particular can complete in up to 8 events in a single Olympics. There are a few other sports that have that advantage (track and field, diving, gymnastics) but I think swimming has the most. A guy like Phelps has the chance to win medals in 7 or 8 events whereas someone involved in say basketball, judo, weightlifting etc. only has a chance to medal once.

I think Carl Lewis certainly has to be in with a shout for greatest of all time - having competed in vastly different events that were actually weight bearing events. Steve Redgrave for longevity and stamina has to be up there. Decathletes are pretty impressive too as all round athletes - shamefully, I can't think of any others than our own Daley Thompson.

Lewis would be up there somewhere for me - he was certainly a great show in 84 - but i'll always be nagged by the doping scandals he somehow got away with, for which he ultimately showed absolutely no remorse.

Not sure who i'd class as greatest. The usual problem of different sports and different eras, etc. Redgrave has to be up there, i think, for volume of medals across 20 years in an incredibly physical event. A few gymnasts and swimmers with a bundle of medals over a couple of Olympics, including Comaneci with her '10'. I automatically thought of Phelps as the best swimmer in an earlier post, but on reflection the likes of Spitz and Biondi were no slouches either.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:30 am

Excellent win by Murray over Djokovic this evening. Both were playing fantastic tennis. Added to another amazing game earlier in the other semi-final between Federer and Del Potro.

Also an excellent start by Ennis in the Heptathlon.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:44 am

My favorite thing about Michael Phelps is watching his mom. She cracks me up.
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:52 am

but on reflection the likes of Spitz and Biondi were no slouches either.

I had a huge crush on Mark Spitz when I was a little kid. I always thought he was pretty cool but he was kind of douchey when Phelps broke his medal record and that turned me off quite a bit.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:21 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
but on reflection the likes of Spitz and Biondi were no slouches either.

I had a huge crush on Mark Spitz when I was a little kid. I always thought he was pretty cool but he was kind of douchey when Phelps broke his medal record and that turned me off quite a bit.

That puts me off athletes a bit too - the lack of graciousness in the face of better performances. I think to some extent you want your athletes to be bad losers because that is what drives them to not lose...but there's a limit to how far that can go and not make the athlete look like a complete twat.
Hans the German Butler

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:34 pm

So why exactly are you Brits so good at rowing?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:41 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:So why exactly are you Brits so good at rowing?

It's a 'sitting-down' sport - that's why we're shit-hot at cycling, too :lol: Don't make us stand and do stuff!

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

It's a 'sitting-down' sport - that's why we're shit-hot at cycling, too :lol: Don't make us stand and do stuff!

Although we seem to be pretty good at Heptathlon and Long-jump at the moment too. On the rowing question it's probably because we get so much rain that we're hard-wired to be able to get a quick escape in the event of a flood.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

Although we seem to be pretty good at Heptathlon and Long-jump at the moment too. On the rowing question it's probably because we get so much rain that we're hard-wired to be able to get a quick escape in the event of a flood.

Yep, and we're doing ok in the 10k too. Another great win there by Mo Farah.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion