Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

2012 Olympics

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

2012 Olympics

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:26 am

Not sure if there is already an Olympics thread.

Interested to know what everyone thought of the opening ceremony. Personally I thought it was fantastic. The most entertaining, interesting, humorous and moving opening ceremony I think I've ever seen.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:16 pm

:twisted: Didn't watch it, and don't plan on watching any of the rest either :lol:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby woggle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:39 pm

I watched it and i loved it!!!!! :D thought it went a bit dark half way thru but the NHS bit with Mary poppins was brilliant and the Mr bean , James bond skit ...hehe showed our good humor . :)
woggle

Postby woggle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:42 pm

I watched the mens cycle race today as it came thru L'head there was a real party atmosphere in our town with big screens , fitness stuff , dancing , singing duoghnut stalls ..lol . Looked like a lot of the town turned up to i was at the back entrance of the crematorium which ment no barriers and the police were waving going by bibbing their horns and one of the motorcyclists was doing high fives as he passed slowly . The bikes came by so close i recognised bradley coz of his sideburns ...wicked day!
woggle

Postby kat » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:48 pm

have the opening ceremony recoreded, won't get to watch it til later in the week though
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:22 pm

I really enjoyed the opening ceremony. Very British in it's style and feel - which, to me, would be the point of the thing. I thought the culmination of the large Olympic torch was a marvellous spectacle and a beautiful feat of design and engineering.

Well done to Boyle and his team.

Good battles in the team archery today. Italian guy held his nerve with that final arrow to win gold.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:25 pm

I have a mates video of the cycle race going thu me town centre on me FB page :)
woggle

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Didn't watch it, and don't plan on watching any of the rest either :lol:

I don't have anything against you personally, but I have to say that is one of the most pointless, fatuous comments I've ever read. If you have no interest in the Olympic Games, why comment on a thread about it?

I respect your right to eschew everything to do with the Games. I respect the point of view that it is a waste of money. I respect the perspective that all it brings to the UK is disruption - even if I don't personally agree with all of those sentiments. Most of all, I would completely respect a well-argued criticism of the opening ceremony, or merely differing points of view to my own, from someone who had watched it. The thrust of the question was garnering opinions about the opening ceremony; so what does this post actually offer to that discussion?
Hans the German Butler

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:59 pm

woggle wrote:I watched the mens cycle race today as it came thru L'head there was a real party atmosphere in our town with big screens , fitness stuff , dancing , singing duoghnut stalls ..lol . Looked like a lot of the town turned up to i was at the back entrance of the crematorium which ment no barriers and the police were waving going by bibbing their horns and one of the motorcyclists was doing high fives as he passed slowly . The bikes came by so close i recognised bradley coz of his sideburns ...wicked day!

It's a shame Cav didn't get a medal - real frustrated expectations there.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I really enjoyed the opening ceremony. Very British in it's style and feel - which, to me, would be the point of the thing. I thought the culmination of the large Olympic torch was a marvellous spectacle and a beautiful feat of design and engineering.

Well done to Boyle and his team.

Good battles in the team archery today. Italian guy held his nerve with that final arrow to win gold.

That was pretty impressive - to need a 10 to win with the final arrow after the American surge was a big ask; but as you say he held it together.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:
Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Didn't watch it, and don't plan on watching any of the rest either :lol:

I don't have anything against you personally, but I have to say that is one of the most pointless, fatuous comments I've ever read. If you have no interest in the Olympic Games, why comment on a thread about it?

I respect your right to eschew everything to do with the Games. I respect the point of view that it is a waste of money. I respect the perspective that all it brings to the UK is disruption - even if I don't personally agree with all of those sentiments. Most of all, I would completely respect a well-argued criticism of the opening ceremony, or merely differing points of view to my own, from someone who had watched it. The thrust of the question was garnering opinions about the opening ceremony; so what does this post actually offer to that discussion?

:twisted: wwwwwwwwwwwwwoah there Neddy :shock:
That's a little strong isn't it? :?

I only posted that I didn't watch the opening ceremony, and had no interest in watching the rest.
I'm not a sport fan.

You may have thought I was trolling or crapping the thread, and you might have had a point if i'd repeatedly returned to it posting negative posts, but that was (intended to be) my only comment on this thread.
I might not have a problem with posting my opinion on a subject, but i'm not into raining on other peoples parades :wink:

Sorry if you saw a hostility in my post that wasn't intended.
As for the games, if you're into them, I hope you enjoy them.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Forever Jung wrote: :twisted: wwwwwwwwwwwwwoah there Neddy :shock:
That's a little strong isn't it? :?

I only posted that I didn't watch the opening ceremony, and had no interest in watching the rest.
I'm not a sport fan.

You may have thought I was trolling or crapping the thread, and you might have had a point if i'd repeatedly returned to it posting negative posts, but that was (intended to be) my only comment on this thread.
I might not have a problem with posting my opinion on a subject, but i'm not into raining on other peoples parades :wink:

Sorry if you saw a hostility in my post that wasn't intended.
As for the games, if you're into them, I hope you enjoy them.

That was the point of my response. I was looking for opinions on the quality of the opening ceremony. You couldn't offer one because you exercised your absolute right to choose not to have anything to do with the Olympics - a right I totally respect. It seemed strange to me that, your having made that decision, you would choose to comment on a thread about something you have absolutely no interest in. I'm not sure that would ever not be interpreted as provocative. The tone of your comment came across like you were trying to piss on everyone else's chips because you hate the Olympics - it read to me like trolling. If that was not your intention, I trust you will pardon the over-reaction.

As it happens; up until last night I was firmly in the, 'I'll watch it when I can, as with every other Games, but have no interest in the fact it's in Britain' camp. I was totally captivated by the opening ceremony in a way I have not experienced from a previous ceremony and actually feel more excitement now about the fact that it's a 'home' Games.
Hans the German Butler

Postby woggle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:33 am

^ sorry but i quite agree if you don't watch the opening ceromony , any of the olympics or done plan to then don't leave a comment thats all i can say on the subject .

Anyhooo shame the brit girls went out of the archery this morn against the russians as half way they were in front , methinks a bit of pressure got to one of the girls who dropped only a six towards the end . Best of luck to them in the individuals thou.

Just watched Zara get a 46.1 ahead of the eventing tomorrow , not bad considering High Kingdom missed a flying change and jumped into an extended trot a tad to soon .

Found a new sport to love [ like i need more ..lol ] Handball actually sat & watched a match and damn didn't realise it was so rough awsome to watch thou .
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:11 am

woggle wrote:I watched the mens cycle race today as it came thru L'head there was a real party atmosphere in our town with big screens , fitness stuff , dancing , singing duoghnut stalls ..lol . Looked like a lot of the town turned up to i was at the back entrance of the crematorium which ment no barriers and the police were waving going by bibbing their horns and one of the motorcyclists was doing high fives as he passed slowly . The bikes came by so close i recognised bradley coz of his sideburns ...wicked day!

It's a shame Cav didn't get a medal - real frustrated expectations there.

I know nothing of the technical aspects of cycling road races, but it was a strange thing to watch. Appeared to be a bunch of riders from different nations who seemed to form a group to work together and the trailing group didn't seem that fussed. Do teams of riders need 'assistance' from each other with pacing, towing, etc, to help carry out their own tactics? I heard some experts talking about how the Brit team needed some other nations to help them pad out a larger group and nobody did. If any cycling fans can explain what was needed from a larger group that they couldn't do on their own i'd be interested.

Did the Brit team just get it wrong by not sticking with the breakaway group, and by expecting others to take part in a chase down, too?

Either way, it feels a bit weird to see an unrepetant doper winning gold.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:16 am

woggle wrote:Anyhooo shame the brit girls went out of the archery this morn against the russians as half way they were in front , methinks a bit of pressure got to one of the girls who dropped only a six towards the end . Best of luck to them in the individuals thou.

Just watched Zara get a 46.1 ahead of the eventing tomorrow , not bad considering High Kingdom missed a flying change and jumped into an extended trot a tad to soon .

Found a new sport to love [ like i need more ..lol ] Handball actually sat & watched a match and damn didn't realise it was so rough awsome to watch thou .

I like the handball, too. Good sport.

I'm constantly flicking up and down the 24 dedicated BBC Olympic channels that are running on Sky. Handy for watching sports that usually get little to no coverage on the main channels.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I know nothing of the technical aspects of cycling road races, but it was a strange thing to watch. Appeared to be a bunch of riders from different nations who seemed to form a group to work together and the trailing group didn't seem that fussed. Do teams of riders need 'assistance' from each other with pacing, towing, etc, to help carry out their own tactics? I heard some experts talking about how the Brit team needed some other nations to help them pad out a larger group and nobody did. If any cycling fans can explain what was needed from a larger group that they couldn't do on their own i'd be interested.

Did the Brit team just get it wrong by not sticking with the breakaway group, and by expecting others to take part in a chase down, too?

Either way, it feels a bit weird to see an unrepetant doper winning gold.

I know very little about it but from what the commentators were saying various nations seemed to be taking it in turns to attack the British team, particularly over the hills, which meant they used more energy during the 9 climbs than would normally be the case. In the end we were nowhere. I saw McEnore on the highlights programme last night pretty much sum up my view, "Why, when the British team saw the front group break did they allow them to get so far away that they wouldn't be able to catch up?"
Hans the German Butler

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:16 pm

woggle wrote:^ sorry but i quite agree if you don't watch the opening ceromony , any of the olympics or done plan to then don't leave a comment thats all i can say on the subject .

Anyhooo shame the brit girls went out of the archery this morn against the russians as half way they were in front , methinks a bit of pressure got to one of the girls who dropped only a six towards the end . Best of luck to them in the individuals thou.

I think pressure has been getting to a lot of the British athletes. We need a gold in the next day or two to calm the collective nerves. The swimmers were generally unimpressive this morning. Even Rebecca Adlington only just made it after cantering the last two lengths of her heat.
Hans the German Butler

Postby woggle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:46 pm

woggle wrote:^ sorry but i quite agree if you don't watch the opening ceromony , any of the olympics or done plan to then don't leave a comment thats all i can say on the subject .

I think pressure has been getting to a lot of the British athletes. We need a gold in the next day or two to calm the collective nerves. The swimmers were generally unimpressive this morning. Even Rebecca Adlington only just made it after cantering the last two lengths of her heat.

I heard about becca just scraping thu , hopefully she may have any nerves out the way .

So proud of Lizzie Armistead was a good silver for her , she was right in the mix when she passed us and im glad she hung on :) It was absolutly torrential rain pouring down while we were watching them go past & when we checked the tv coverage it missed out little corner so didnt even get on the telly box ..lol
woggle

Postby kat » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:45 pm

I need to buy the Radio Times tomorrow as there is a particularly nice photo of Jake Humphrey in there
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:51 pm

I've been unable to watch anything since the games started due to being without a working TV since Friday. I was at my sister's place in northern Wisconsin and the guys working on their addition apparently did something to the satellite connection. DISH Network couldn't get there to fix it for a week.

Now that I'm home again, I can watch things but I'll have to try and avoid this thread and anything my FB friends on here post since we get everything delayed several hours. I don't like knowing the results before I see the events. It gets more and more difficult as technology gets more instant!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:01 am

Nice to see the US win a medal in Diving after being off the podium the last two Olympics.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Stu » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Had tickets to see mens weightlifting from Excel last night, and enjoyed it very much!

No problems with transport, airport like security was quick and competition was really good. Handball and diving to look forward too this wednesday

Definitely enjoying watching from home too and flicking between the main coverage and the 24 extra channels on sky
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Niles: Yes. Can I do that?
Frasier: No, you can't!
Stu
Site Admin

Postby Hans the German Butler » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:59 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Nice to see the US win a medal in Diving after being off the podium the last two Olympics.

I was actually rooting for the US in the diving because the Chinese pair were just too perfect. The British girls gave a good showing considering they were only 15 and 17.
Hans the German Butler

Postby woggle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 pm

The equestian team has done well in the eventing phase 2nd in the team and we have quite a few in the top ten for the individual , nail biting time for the showjumping tomorrow .

I didn't watch it but i gather tom daley missed out on a medal :(
woggle

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Bloody Japanese!! :evil:
welshben23

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion