Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Footy Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Footy Thread!

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Herrumph, I still don't know how to feel about Brendan Rodgers taking over LFC. I still wish Keny was in charge to be honest, although one thing that has mightily impressed me already is that he insisted there be no director of football at the club. That never seems to work in this country.

I think i'd rather have Rodgers than Martinez, if that was the choice. Mourinho obviously saw something in him. I'd like to see him do well, unlike Lambert now that he's at Villa :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:28 am

Looking forward to the Euros starting today simply for the festival of football rather than any hopes of England doing well. They may surprise us all but if I was going to have a bet I'd say we'll be knocked out in the group stages.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:10 pm

Yeah i'm quite looking forward to it now. Don't expect England to do much, so if they get out of the group it'll exceed my expectations. i just hope we get the best out of all players from all nations. I don't want to see a bunch of burnt out shells as it was in South Africa.

I see UEFA continue to stand with there fingers in their ears screaming LALALALALALA! to try to drown out the racist abuse. What a bunch of tossers. Had to laugh with incredulity as various white journalists for Sky, BBC, etc, went around asking other white people if there was a problem with racism in their country. Move along people, nothing to see or hear at the Dutch training session.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Yeah i'm quite looking forward to it now. Don't expect England to do much, so if they get out of the group it'll exceed my expectations. i just hope we get the best out of all players from all nations. I don't want to see a bunch of burnt out shells as it was in South Africa.

I see UEFA continue to stand with there fingers in their ears screaming LALALALALALA! to try to drown out the racist abuse. What a bunch of tossers. Had to laugh with incredulity as various white journalists for Sky, BBC, etc, went around asking other white people if there was a problem with racism in their country. Move along people, nothing to see or hear at the Dutch training session.

Apparently Platini has stated that any player that leaves the pitch as a result of racist chanting will be booked. The man seems to be on another planet. There needs to sanctions against the Polish and Ukrainian associations, up to and including expulsion from tournaments, if they cannot get the problem under control. UEFA need to get their heads out of their arses though. During the last season Man City were fined more for returning 2 minutes late to the second half than Porto were for the racist chanting of their fans!

In other news Liverpool today being linked with Nicklas Bendtner. Is this an indication of media high-jinks, Rodgers (lack of) judgement or of how far our stock has fallen?
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:Apparently Platini has stated that any player that leaves the pitch as a result of racist chanting will be booked. The man seems to be on another planet. There needs to sanctions against the Polish and Ukrainian associations, up to and including expulsion from tournaments, if they cannot get the problem under control. UEFA need to get their heads out of their arses though. During the last season Man City were fined more for returning 2 minutes late to the second half than Porto were for the racist chanting of their fans!

In other news Liverpool today being linked with Nicklas Bendtner. Is this an indication of media high-jinks, Rodgers (lack of) judgement or of how far our stock has fallen?

They've done it again. UEFA, to all intent and purpose, ignore the racist chanting and the daily street battles between police and hooligans - but come down on Portugal for being late back on to the pitch for the second half against Germany. Good to know their priorities are in order.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:They've done it again. UEFA, to all intent and purpose, ignore the racist chanting and the daily street battles between police and hooligans - but come down on Portugal for being late back on to the pitch for the second half against Germany. Good to know their priorities are in order.

It's completely bonkers. I saw Russian fans kicking the shit out of stewards and Polish hooligans beating seven shades out of some Irish fans and you hear nothing from UEFA except some low-level talk about "minor incidents". If it had been English fans responsible for these acts there would be talk of being booted out of the competition.

It was disgusting to see Platini with an obseqious expression on his face while standing next to Ukraine's human rights abusing President. I'm starting to think that the credibility of both UEFA and FIFA could not really get any lower.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:34 am

I'm no conspiricy theorist but the refereeing performance last night almost smacked of Platini having a word in his shell before kick off. Just as Sepp Blatter is documented to have reminded the FIFA voting panel of the English media's role in kicking out two of its members just prior to the 2018 and 2022 round of voting you can imagine Platini getting all the referees together and letting them know how much smoother everything would run without England and its media there poking their nose in every corner. Some of the free kicks and yellow cards awarded were ridiculously inconsistent.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Hans the German Butler » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:38 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I'm no conspiricy theorist but the refereeing performance last night almost smacked of Platini having a word in his shell before kick off. Just as Sepp Blatter is documented to have reminded the FIFA voting panel of the English media's role in kicking out two of its members just prior to the 2018 and 2022 round of voting you can imagine Platini getting all the referees together and letting them know how much smoother everything would run without England and its media there poking their nose in every corner. Some of the free kicks and yellow cards awarded were ridiculously inconsistent.

From the post-match interviews I saw Gerrard and Hodgson were trying to play down the impact of refereeing decisions - probably to try to avoid a UEFA/Referees Union backlash. Looking at the game though, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Johnson were booked for leaving the ground when tackling; Diarra got away with a far more dangerous flying tackle. There were so many cute little 'professional' fouls on Oxlade-Chamberlain that went unpunished I lost count and how the edge of the box challenge on Gerrard was not given is anyone's guess; he was taken out, plain and simple. From a tactical point of view it was clear that the French centre backs were uncomfortable in the air - so as well as Welbeck played, I'm surprised Andy Carroll wasn't given 15-20 minutes to shake them up a bit - and at least give England an out ball when they were up against it at the end.
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I'm no conspiricy theorist but the refereeing performance last night almost smacked of Platini having a word in his shell before kick off. Just as Sepp Blatter is documented to have reminded the FIFA voting panel of the English media's role in kicking out two of its members just prior to the 2018 and 2022 round of voting you can imagine Platini getting all the referees together and letting them know how much smoother everything would run without England and its media there poking their nose in every corner. Some of the free kicks and yellow cards awarded were ridiculously inconsistent.

It was certainly an unusual performance by the referee. He made the ref in the opening game look good.

I'm not sure how Cabaye didn't get booked, at the very least, for persistent fouling. They were two or three clearly cynical fouls that nobody would be surprised to receive a red card for the sum total - yet the actual sum total wasn't even a booking.

You look at what the Greek guy was sent off for against Poland and compare it to what France were persistently allowed to get away with and you do have to wonder about - if not conspiracy - at least refereeing consistency :D

Wasn't too downhearted by England's performance. Apart from getting a bit too deep at times, and the unfixable problem of players with a poor first touch, we nullified the so-called French quality. They were bereft of ideas. The french media can bleat all they want, but their team was too poor to win.

Young was the only real notable disappointment, i felt.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:

From the post-match interviews I saw Gerrard and Hodgson were trying to play down the impact of refereeing decisions - probably to try to avoid a UEFA/Referees Union backlash. Looking at the game though, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Johnson were booked for leaving the ground when tackling; Diarra got away with a far more dangerous flying tackle. There were so many cute little 'professional' fouls on Oxlade-Chamberlain that went unpunished I lost count and how the edge of the box challenge on Gerrard was not given is anyone's guess; he was taken out, plain and simple. From a tactical point of view it was clear that the French centre backs were uncomfortable in the air - so as well as Welbeck played, I'm surprised Andy Carroll wasn't given 15-20 minutes to shake them up a bit - and at least give England an out ball when they were up against it at the end.

In the interview i heard from Hodgson he made a point of mentioning that Oxlade-Chamberlain didn't get a chance to fully show his ability at running with the ball against the French because he was hacked down every time :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:06 am

My god the dutch were bad tonight. As poor as we may be, i'd hope we'll show more fight than those guys in our matches.

Anyway, on to this: Harry Redknapp leaves Tottenham Hotspur manager's job.

My mate was telling me at the weekend that Harry was lined up with a very lucrative job in the middle east, except he wouldn't be resigning to take it as that would prevent any pay out/pay off for dismissal. I suspected things were coming to roost this morning when he was puffing and panting with the media speculation and yammering on about how he'd never resign from spurs.

Great news for talksport as it's guaranteed to fill the airwaves full of ranting spurs fans.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:09 am

Moon-Crane wrote:My god the dutch were bad tonight. As poor as we may be, i'd hope we'll show more fight than those guys in our matches.

Anyway, on to this: Harry Redknapp leaves Tottenham Hotspur manager's job.

My mate was telling me at the weekend that Harry was lined up with a very lucrative job in the middle east, except he wouldn't be resigning to take it as that would prevent any pay out/pay off for dismissal. I suspected things were coming to roost this morning when he was puffing and panting with the media speculation and yammering on about how he'd never resign from spurs.

Great news for talksport as it's guaranteed to fill the airwaves full of ranting spurs fans.

From what I've heard so far many Spurs fans think someone else could do a better job! Perfectly sums up modern fandom this situation; Spurs were a total joke and heading towards relegation when 'Arry took over, since then he's got them consistently challenging for a Champs' League spot. If they think someone's going to swoop in and take them to 'the next level' they're sorely mistaken. Personally I look forward to Spurs sliding back down to the mid-table table mediocrity that suits them so well, and their fans deserve :D

If he's got a job lined up in the Middle East, good luck to him.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:From what I've heard so far many Spurs fans think someone else could do a better job! Perfectly sums up modern fandom this situation; Spurs were a total joke and heading towards relegation when 'Arry took over, since then he's got them consistently challenging for a Champs' League spot. If they think someone's going to swoop in and take them to 'the next level' they're sorely mistaken. Personally I look forward to Spurs sliding back down to the mid-table table mediocrity that suits them so well, and their fans deserve :D

If he's got a job lined up in the Middle East, good luck to him.

I'll be amazed if they haven't peaked for now. Modric, VdV and Bale all look to be on their way out. Adebayor's unlikely to come back. That's some big spaces to fill straight away. Add that to the defensive gaps that need filling and it sounds costly, whoever they get.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am

After watching the Euro games so far not entirley impressed with Poldolski ..doesn't seemed to of gotten to involved so far :?
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 pm

woggle wrote:After watching the Euro games so far not entirley impressed with Poldolski ..doesn't seemed to of gotten to involved so far :?

He's been quieter than usual. Can say that about a bunch of even bigger names, though. I wouldn't be worried about him playing for Arsenal.

As an aside. It makes me laugh the people, including pundits, who still thinking Ibrahimovic is crap. He'd walk into the England team.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:30 am

What's the feeling for tonight then? I think I'd settle for another draw and hope Rooney can give us some goal threat from open play against the Ukraine.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby woggle » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:32 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:What's the feeling for tonight then? I think I'd settle for another draw and hope Rooney can give us some goal threat from open play against the Ukraine.

Thinkin the same as long as we can keep man mountain Ibrahimovic quiet im talking someone sneak and tie his shoelaces together before we kick off ..lol
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 pm

:D

I can see it being a draw and leaving us needing to get a win against Ukraine.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:33 pm

welshben23

Postby Hans the German Butler » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:What's the feeling for tonight then? I think I'd settle for another draw and hope Rooney can give us some goal threat from open play against the Ukraine.

I would hope to beat them - despite our record in competitive matches against the Swedes. I really wouldn't want to go into the last match having to beat Ukraine.
Hans the German Butler

Postby woggle » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 pm

Whooo hooo so happy we came thru that , happy for walcott & welbecks goal was a doozy to ..in a good mood but not gonna get to carried away . A nice win over ukraine for me next please!
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:07 pm

woggle wrote:Whooo hooo so happy we came thru that , happy for walcott & welbecks goal was a doozy to ..in a good mood but not gonna get to carried away . A nice win over ukraine for me next please!

Holy shit that was a game that created an exciting second half out of the ability of two wank teams.

We did well considering we (effectively) played the whole match with ten men. For the love of god please don't pick Ashley fucking Young for the next match. He's a proper useless bastard. 100% liability. If anybody knows how he wasn't substituted, answers on a postcard....

If we get through the group we'll be tanked by any of Spain, Italy or even Croatia.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:14 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Holy shit that was a game that created an exciting second half out of the ability of two wank teams.

We did well considering we (effectively) played the whole match with ten men. For the love of god please don't pick Ashley fucking Young for the next match. He's a proper useless bastard. 100% liability. If anybody knows how he wasn't substituted, answers on a postcard....

If we get through the group we'll be tanked by any of Spain, Italy or even Croatia.

We looked pretty damn awful at times in that game - really pleased we won though obviously. It was funny listening to the ever-excitable Mark Saggers and Stan Collymore afterwards on TalkSport who seemed to think we've qualified for the last eight now - if we lose to the Ukraine we're out! Good to know we can go into the game only needing a draw, although when we sat back against Sweden tonight we invited pressure we weren't able to deal with. The first goal was a bit unfortunate but the second was terrible defending on our part. I'm still not convinced of Lescott and Johnson's defensive qualities at international level.

You're right about Ashley Young - he was rubbish :lol: I had to check he was actually playing in that first half as I only ever saw Ashley Cole on that left flank. He was obviously told to tuck in more but whatever he was told it definitely didn't work. As critical as I've been about Downing you may as well play an orthodox left-winger out there and hope he has more success hitting Carroll's forehead for England than he has for Liverpool.

Speaking of Carroll how many other people think that slo-mo pic of him leaping up to head that perfect Gerrard cross in will be the defining image of his career? I can see that clip being played over and over when summing up his career in 10 years or so - I certainly can't imagine it getting any better than that for the lad.

Wonder who Roy will leave out for the Ukraine game with Rooney returning?
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:We looked pretty damn awful at times in that game - really pleased we won though obviously. It was funny listening to the ever-excitable Mark Saggers and Stan Collymore afterwards on TalkSport who seemed to think we've qualified for the last eight now - if we lose to the Ukraine we're out! Good to know we can go into the game only needing a draw, although when we sat back against Sweden tonight we invited pressure we weren't able to deal with. The first goal was a bit unfortunate but the second was terrible defending on our part. I'm still not convinced of Lescott and Johnson's defensive qualities at international level.

You're right about Ashley Young - he was rubbish :lol: I had to check he was actually playing in that first half as I only ever saw Ashley Cole on that left flank. He was obviously told to tuck in more but whatever he was told it definitely didn't work. As critical as I've been about Downing you may as well play an orthodox left-winger out there and hope he has more success hitting Carroll's forehead for England than he has for Liverpool.

Speaking of Carroll how many other people think that slo-mo pic of him leaping up to head that perfect Gerrard cross in will be the defining image of his career? I can see that clip being played over and over when summing up his career in 10 years or so - I certainly can't imagine it getting any better than that for the lad.

Wonder who Roy will leave out for the Ukraine game with Rooney returning?

Lescott and terry looked awful, but i actually thought Johnson played pretty well. He stopped a surprising amount of stuff down his side of the field. Lescott isn't international quality. He looks too uncomfortable on the ball. And if people genuinely believe Terry is our best defender then god help us. Did you see him get properly bounced a couple of times by Ibrahimovic :lol:

That goal from Carroll was pretty much how i was expecting to see Downing feeding him for Liverpool last season. Quality header from one of the few times we actually put that early cross in at the correct angle.

Ukraine will cane us if we play like that and still can't keep hold of the bloody ball. I'm hoping Rooney can play the way he did in his debut England tournament.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:31 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Lescott and terry looked awful, but i actually thought Johnson played pretty well. He stopped a surprising amount of stuff down his side of the field. Lescott isn't international quality. He looks too uncomfortable on the ball. And if people genuinely believe Terry is our best defender then god help us. Did you see him get properly bounced a couple of times by Ibrahimovic :lol:

That goal from Carroll was pretty much how i was expecting to see Downing feeding him for Liverpool last season. Quality header from one of the few times we actually put that early cross in at the correct angle.

Ukraine will cane us if we play like that and still can't keep hold of the bloody ball. I'm hoping Rooney can play the way he did in his debut England tournament.

Heh, you sound even more pessimistic than I do :lol:

Perhaps Ashley Young will look better once Rooney's back in the team alongside Wellbeck. Carroll did great as a one-off against a very Premiership-like team but I think Rooney/Wellbeck/Young will be a better combo because they should have that immediate club understanding. Gerrard will continue to feed through quality balls no matter who's up front.

Amazingly it's our defence I'm most worried about now. Not exactly the Fort Knox we were lead to believe by some pundits going into the competition.

I think we'll probably scrape a draw tomorrow night and progress but I have visions of a 90 minute bore draw with Shevchenko popping up in the 91st to put Ukraine through - John Terry beaten for skill and pace falling flat on his arse in the process...
Mr Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion