Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Most Underrated Episodes

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Most Underrated Episodes

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:00 am

Please read my other thread 'Frasier Forum Awards - The Rules' in order to know all about the voting process.

IMPORTANT: I have decided to return to the ‘Frasier Forum Award – Nomination’ threads once again after last week’s success ‘Favourite Farce’ thread, and they will be running alongside the ultimate polls simultaneously. Whether or not it’s a good idea to run the two simultaneously remains to be seen, although the evidence looks hopeful – but let’s hope so. Don’t forget the nomination process is very different to the recent polls that have been running, and require you to list your 10 (more than usual I know) personal choices for the category in question. There will be a poll in the near future that relates to the results of this nomination process. I hope that all makes sense – please let me know if it doesn’t! You have will have a nice long while to list your nominations, because the voting process for this thread wouldn’t finish until I launch the poll for it in the near future.

Well, it’s been over a week now since I started the last ‘Forum Awards’ thread, so I think we’re due another one. I’m a little bit concerned about this new idea, because I have my doubts that it will work properly, and have therefore have been contemplating whether to do it or not for some time. I still haven’t forgotten about the ‘Best Moments’ threads for Roz or Eddie, but this time I’m asking everyone to post their nominations for the ‘Most Underrated Episode’, - which episodes do you consider to be under appreciated and don’t earn enough praise on this forum? However, in order to get a diverse representation of people’s opinions, I am asking you to nominate 10 episodes that you feel don’t get the true recognition they fully deserve.. The reason I am raising the amount is because I am sceptical that we’ll be able to put together a good final poll if we don’t have a lot of material to choose from, as this thread is incredibly subjective and could throw up many, many different ideas (I hope so anyway). I hope this works. Please note though, that you are NOT voting for your favourite episodes, but the ones that you love that you feel other people aren’t as crazy on as you are.

I am going to ask everyone to nominate their 10 underrated episodes of ‘Frasier’ and the episodes that receive the largest amount of nominations will make the eventual shortlist and contend for the ultimate award. The 5 most popular underrated episodes, with the most votes will make the shortlist for the award, and when the final shortlist is published, you will have another chance to vote in this category. The episodes that make my list are a mixed bag – some represent what I believe to be ‘Frasier’ at its best (although these choices represent the minority), some episodes are my guilty pleasures and some episodes, although not some of my favourites, are episodes that I feel demand more respect and acknowledgment. If this pol proves successful (fingers crossed), I’ll do a ‘Most Overrated Episode’ thread soon too.

Anyway, my 10 Most Underrated Episodes are:

1. Boo! (Why the hell is this episode rarely mentioned? The more I watch it, the more I simply adore it. It’d one of the most consistently funny, entertaining and witty scripts ever produced, packed with visual gags, hilarious one-liners and some beautifully judged pathos at the end. From Frasier dressed as the clown, Martin’s ‘man problem’, the wonderful ‘football ball’ and Frasier screaming like a girl, there is simply not a second wasted. I urge anyone and everyone to re-evaluate this episode. A classic)
2. Death and the Dog (I know this episode doesn’t have a bad reputation and on the whole is well-liked, but every time I watch it, it just blows me away. Its one of those incredibly rare episodes that really does feel like an ensemble piece – allowing every member of the cast to shine. From Eddie’s depression, Roz’s deathwish, Niles visions of the afterlife and the wonderful handling of the dark subject matter, I consider this episode an absolute triumph; trouble is, I think I’m in the minority).
3. Deathtrap (Okay, this episode certainly isn’t my favourite from the ninth season and its certainly not perfect, but on the whole I think this is a very enjoyable funny episode, that has received a fair amount of critique in the past. I think both plots work well, and although its not as funny as ‘Bia-Z-Boy’, ‘The Proposal’ or ‘Moons Over Seattle’, I am positive that its one of the episodes I’ll be watching quite a bit when we get the Season 9 DVD)
4. Good Grief (I think this episode has an unjust reputation – as it represents the show’s first foray into dark territory, and I really honestly believe that it’s a successful venture. Again it’s not perfect, but I really do think its overlooked. We don’t have as many people left now who believe that Season 7 is superior to 6, but I always felt that they saw ‘Good Grief’ as a below average episode because it opened a season that many felt didn’t deliver to the same level of quality as the previous years)
5. Rivals (A typically clever Christopher Lloyd episode that I get a real enjoyment of. Yes, perhaps it tries a little too hard to be clever and complicated, but I think its done superbly. Many fans have said it’s a copy of ‘Moondance’ but I really don’t see it like this. I think the tango sequence creates a totally different feel and effect, and there are some lovely lines peppered into the script.. Unloved gem.)
6. Father of the Bride (Another Season 7 episode that really gets a mention on these boards, and an episode that I only re-discovered over the summer, previously thinking it was rather boring and distinctly average. However, on re-evaluating, I adored it – so many hilarious moments, witty lines and standout scenes, especially Niles unwitting employment of ‘Executive Match’. We also get a great insight into Frasier’s controlling personality, which works very well I think.)
7. Shutout in Seattle (Again, I think this episode doesn’t get the recognition that it deserves, and is often overlooked by the more dramatic SBSB or the finale, but (along with My Coffee with Niles from the first year) this episode is my pick for the best season finale, particularly the second half. I don’t think the two finales I mentioned above, although terribly moving, are as high on laughs as this one, which is perhaps why I prefer it. The ‘Goldfinger’ rendition at the end is the perfect way to close a hideously underrated season, a season which gets better more than any other on repeated viewings).
8. War of the Words (An utterly terrible episode – but surely not the worst ever? It’s not even my least favourite Saladin K Patterson episode. The dialogue is cringe-worthy., the characterisation unredeemable in every single respect and the plot is utter drivel, but ‘A Day in a May’ and a handful of episodes from the three barren years are much, much worse in my humble opinion. I still hate it though)
9. The Impossible Dream (Amidst the comedy cannon of the fourth season, I think this very clever episode is frequently overlooked and stolen from by surrounding episodes. It’s certainly not the best that this season has to offer, but on watching it yesterday morning on Channel 4, it struck me as to how well-plotted and well-written it was, although containing a very funny subplot with Daphne and Martin scaring people in the elevator.)
10. Daphne Does Dinner (My last choice, and there many more I wanted to include, but I stand by the idea that if you can perhaps ugnore some of the previously brilliant Keenan/David Lloyd farces, then this episode is a hugely enjoyable romp. Maybe it goes a tad too far at the end, but Frasier hiding in the cupboard, the flashback to a previous dinner party fiasco and Martin’s alter-ego Mike Shaw the artist make for a great watch.)

I can’t tell you how difficult that task proved – its probably taken me the longest to compile out of all the nominations threads thus far. As I looked down the episode guides, there were many more under appreciated episodes that I initially realised, and so it was difficult preparing a list of nominations. I hope everyone else doesn’t find it so tricky to do! So, everybody get voting, and hopefully your favourite underrated episodes will make the final list of nominations for this category, and may even win the Forum Award. Happy voting! (And btw, no-one is allowed to vote for ‘Ham Radio’ in this category).
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:11 am

Wow - amazingly thorough post there Cakey! I hope this poll gets the attention it deserves!

A couple of your choices stand out - mainly having the execrable WOTW as an underrated episode :shock: . IMHO, it deserves all the flack that comes it's way! In fact, I think it's enormously overrated by the fans who consider it merely a passable episode!

Anyway, I'll post my list soon...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:17 am

A couple of your choices stand out - mainly having the execrable WOTW as an underrated episode . IMHO, it deserves all the flack that comes it's way! In fact, I think it's enormously overrated by the fans who consider it merely a passable episode!

You'll get your oppertunity with the 'Most Overrated Episode' poll soon!
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:25 am

Cake for Brains wrote:
A couple of your choices stand out - mainly having the execrable WOTW as an underrated episode . IMHO, it deserves all the flack that comes it's way! In fact, I think it's enormously overrated by the fans who consider it merely a passable episode!

You'll get your oppertunity with the 'Most Overrated Episode' poll soon!

Goodie! :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:48 am

1. Miracle On Third Or Fourth Street - For the same reason as BN. Plus, it was my first.

2. Give Him The Chair - I think it's just BN and myself that acknowledge the greatness of this episode.

3. The Unkindest Cut Of All - This episode perfectly blended all types of comedy with real human drama, yet no one seems to acknowledge it.

4. Kisses Sweeter Than Wine - I absolutely love this one. It's my favourite season 3 episode.

5. The Unnatural - I loved the father son aspect, but the Niles/Freddy/Daphne love triangle was just hilarious.

6. Taps At The Montana - I think it dies out a little at the end, but most of it is hilarious

7. Father Of The Bride - I agree with Cakey on this one.

8. Frasier's Edge - I totally got it, but no one else seemed too.

9. Love Stinks - The Roz portion sucked hard, but the rest was hilarious.

10. War Of The Words - A merely passable episode.
Last edited by Stratman on Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:50 am

Great choices Strat!

I also love 'Give Him the Chair' (its my second favourite episode from he first season) and 'Kisses Sweeter than Wine' is an absolute classic too.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:06 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:You'll get your oppertunity with the 'Most Overrated Episode' poll soon!

I have a feeling there may be a few Ham Radios cropping up in that thread as well.

Oh, well - I'm no longer Ham Radio, so I don't need to feel offended that people think I'm overrated.

As for my list of underrated episodes:

1: Someone to Watch Over Me - This has always been one of my favourite episodes, and I think it's a great one from season two, yet it doesn't seem to get mentioned an awful lot.

2: I Hate Frasier Crane - I've thought this to be a great episode since I first saw it.

3: The Crucible - Again, it doesn't appear to be rated too highly, but I think it's good.

4: Enemy at the Gate - I loved Frasier's ridiculous behaviour, and how poor Niles just had to sit there and put up with it.

5: The Harrassed - I thought this episode was a great introduction to Julia, and a really funny one as well.

6: Three Days of the Condo - I think it's a solid episode, and I particularly liked the ending.

7: Slow Tango in South Seattle - I liked this episode. I didn't think the ending was as good as the rest of it, but I still think it was enjoyable.

8: Frasier-Lite - I thought this was a good, solid episode from Season 11 - I tend to like "KACL" episodes.

9: A Passing Fancy - I really enjoy this one, particularly the scene in the restaurant at the end.

10: Farewell, Nervosa - I liked it. I didn't think Elvis Costello was too bad, either.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:00 pm

Great call with A Passing Fancy BGF, that's gonna make my list too.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby !Amz! » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:33 pm

1.The Unnatural - Season 4 - I really enjoyed this episode. I especially enjoyed the part when Frasier's 'big dissapointment' about Martin was finding out that he couldn't do math in his head. Niles' reactions to Frederick having a crush on Daphne was really funny too.
2.Trophy Girlfriend - Season 10 - One of my favourites. Frasier seeing Chelsea as his old gym coach was hilarious.
3.Hungry Heart - Season 8 - Only seen this episode once, but it instantly became a favourite of mine. Also the episode with one of my favourite quotes from the show : "Hey Daphne I just thought of something funny - it took 3 Cranes to lift you!"
4.Author, Author - Season 1 - Four words : YOU STOLE MY MOMMY!
5.Frasier Loves Roz - Season 3 - I really liked this episode, it was one of those sort of feel good ones if you get what I mean. The final part with Roz saying 'I love you' to Frasier was really sweet.
6.They're Playing Our Song - Season 7 - Frasier's OTT theme song was great!
7.The Proposal - Season 9 - I personally thought that the whole episode of Niles planning a lavish proposal to Daphne and her ending up sick was a really good, thought out plot.
8.Farewell, Nervosa - Season 10 - Loved this episode, especially the scene with Niles dancing around the café.
9.Fraternal Schwinns - Season 10 - I loved this episode because I can relate to Frasier and Niles' humiliation of not being able to ride a bike! The part where Daphne teaches them had me in stitches!
10. Dark Victory - Season 2 - One of my favourite season finales.
!Amz!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:01 pm

My nominations for 'most unloved'...

Miracle on Third or Fourth Street - A toasty warm Christmas treat!
Give Him The Chair - I agree with Strat on that one, although I think it's pretty well liked, it just doesn't get much plaudits. I think it's the best of S1.
Come Lie With Me - My favourite S3 episode, and that's up against some pretty stiff competition.
Odd Man Out - The first half is Frasier at it's best.
Frasier's Imaginary Friend - Superb ep, which gets very little mention.
How To Bury a Millionaire - Niles in Frasier's bedroom is hilarious, and the scenes at the Shangri-la are a riot!
Shutout in Seattle - One of the very best season finale's - hilarious from start to finish.
Three Faces of Frasier - One of the best of S7, rarely mentioned.
A Passing Fancy - This second installment of a two-parter is often overlooked as the first part was poor, and it's surrounded by dross too.
Don Juan in Hell Part 2 - I totally got it, but no one else seemed to... :wink:
Deathtrap - A mid season 9 treat, and this ep WAS surrounded by crap!
Roe To Perdition - One of S10's funniest, and another to suffer from the slump going on around it.
A Man, a Plan and a Gal:Julia - Love this episode! It made me think Frasier was back to it's best after 3 seasons in the wilderness!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Wezzo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:57 pm

The Crucible
Miracle On Third or Fourth Street
Give Him the Chair
Slow Tango in South Seattle
The Focus Group
Our Father Whose Art Ain't Heaven
The 1000th Show
Shutout in Seattle
Hungry Heart
Boo!
Wezzo

Postby DHP » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:11 pm

Only two spring to mind, and they come from the reasoning that The Impossible Dream is an underrated episode compared to the others in Season 4.

The first episode is Halloween and I know most people here like it, but ever since I saw series 5, I felt conned by the overrated The Ski Lodge and Room Service and felt that Halloween deserved the praise of being the best episode of season 5. Also on the same grounds, Frasier's Imaginary Friend.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Wezzo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:51 am

DHP wrote:The first episode is Halloween and I know most people here like it, but ever since I saw series 5, I felt conned by the overrated The Ski Lodge and Room Service and felt that Halloween deserved the praise of being the best episode of season 5.[/i].

I completely agree, for what it's worth.
Wezzo

Postby Stratman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:20 am

Wezzo wrote:
DHP wrote:The first episode is Halloween and I know most people here like it, but ever since I saw series 5, I felt conned by the overrated The Ski Lodge and Room Service and felt that Halloween deserved the praise of being the best episode of season 5.[/i].

I completely agree, for what it's worth.

I also agree, though I do think ''Room Service'' is a good one.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:31 am

Wezzo wrote:for what it's worth.

"Stop, hey, what's that sound,
Everybody look, what's going down."

I don't think The Ski Lodge was overrated, though. I loved the episode when I saw it.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:20 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Don Juan in Hell Part 2 - I totally got it, but no one else seemed to... :wink:

You cheeky son of a bitch. :lol:
Stratman

Postby Stratman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:24 pm

!Amz! wrote:1.The Unnatural - Season 4 - I really enjoyed this episode. I especially enjoyed the part when Frasier's 'big dissapointment' about Martin was finding out that he couldn't do math in his head. Niles' reactions to Frederick having a crush on Daphne was really funny too.

Good call! I'm editing that one in.
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:41 pm

Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Don Juan in Hell Part 2 - I totally got it, but no one else seemed to... :wink:

You cheeky son of a bitch. :lol:

I thought you might like that! :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:49 pm

What did BN say that was cheeky?

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:22 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:What did BN say that was cheeky?

Actually, I said it was cheeky. The reason being that the two of us have a thing; he feels Don Juan is the most revealing, I feel Frasier's Edge is the most revealing. In my list I commented on Frasier's Edge saying I got it, but no one else seemed to, BN used the exact same comment when describing Don Juan.
Stratman

Postby !Amz! » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:32 pm

Stratman wrote:
!Amz! wrote:1.The Unnatural - Season 4 - I really enjoyed this episode. I especially enjoyed the part when Frasier's 'big dissapointment' about Martin was finding out that he couldn't do math in his head. Niles' reactions to Frederick having a crush on Daphne was really funny too.

Good call! I'm editing that one in.

Good for you! I don't see why it hardly gets a mention - I loved it! :)
!Amz!

Re: Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Most Underrated Epis

Postby Dr Arnold Shaw » Thu May 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Slow Tango In South Seattle. What's not to like about this episode? It's laugh out loud funny, poignant and takes us back to Frasier dealing with unresolved issues in his life. The scene with Frasier and the piano teacher's mother is lovely.
Dr Arnold Shaw

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes