Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Rant Thread!!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Rant Thread!!

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:08 pm

I now have two work email addresses, which are identical except for one says 'swansea.ac.uk' and the other says 'exeter.ac.uk'. I'm getting emails from the same suppliers and funding bodies in each inbox, and it's already getting extremely confusing...
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Hope you get less confused soon DG!!!!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby insaneasperger » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Pissed off with so called mates constantly getting stuff out of me then when they get sorted are selfish stingy controlling bitches!!! Argh I've had enough of being told what I should and shouldn't do by a friend argh!!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:22 am

I just completed two days of training on a new program we're going live with in a two weeks. The training itself was ok but (and sorry for those reading my FB status' because this is a re-rant for them) there was a woman who spent the entire two days hacking up her lungs. It was one of those disgusting phlegmy gross kind of coughs and it was non-fucking stop for two days. The women with her kept telling her yesterday that she shouldn't come back today and she should go the damn doctor. So that was bad enough but on top of her disgusting hacking she was a fucking moron! It's a computer program we're learning and it's pretty easy. Most things are in drop down menus etc. She couldn't even get the fucking log-on information right despite the fact that she had to do it several times a day! I fear for anyone who has to work with her in any capacity!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Maple » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:44 am

My rant is directed at myself. I cannot understand how sometimes I can be so foolish.
Maple

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I just completed two days of training on a new program we're going live with in a two weeks. The training itself was ok but (and sorry for those reading my FB status' because this is a re-rant for them) there was a woman who spent the entire two days hacking up her lungs. It was one of those disgusting phlegmy gross kind of coughs and it was non-fucking stop for two days. The women with her kept telling her yesterday that she shouldn't come back today and she should go the damn doctor. So that was bad enough but on top of her disgusting hacking she was a fucking moron! It's a computer program we're learning and it's pretty easy. Most things are in drop down menus etc. She couldn't even get the fucking log-on information right despite the fact that she had to do it several times a day! I fear for anyone who has to work with her in any capacity!

:lol: I often 're-rant'. Sometimes it necessary!

And ewww, she definitely shouldn't have been there, not fair on everyone else. As for the 'moron' element - it worries me how people like that get the jobs they have. A boss I had a while ago was thick as ****, he got where he was by blaming everyone else when stuff went wrong. Then somehow he got a job at a higher level, at another uni. Not sure how that happened, or how he's managing...
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Maple wrote:My rant is directed at myself. I cannot understand how sometimes I can be so foolish.

Join the club! I make a hobby out of it. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Maple » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Maple wrote:My rant is directed at myself. I cannot understand how sometimes I can be so foolish.

We need new hobbies! :)
Maple

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Maple wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

We need new hobbies! :)

:lol: We certainly do! Maybe we can rant about other people being foolish instead. :D
Dorset Girl

Postby Maple » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:36 pm

perhaps...
:)
I just learned it is going to cost me $149.00 to get a decent seat to see Yes. Damn tickets are expensive!
Maple

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Maple wrote:perhaps...
:)
I just learned it is going to cost me $149.00 to get a decent seat to see Yes. Damn tickets are expensive!

I paid £250 for two front row seats for my sister and I to see our favourite band (about $370 I reckon), so I'm saying nuffin'!
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:58 pm

I paid $130.00 to see James Taylor a couple years ago and it wasn't even front row! They were great seats but not front row!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Maple » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:30 am

And many musicians wonder why people don't go to concerts. I know, I hear them whine every day about it.

(I also whine, but let's keep that our little secret huh?) ;)
Maple

Postby Ramona » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Why do I let myself get dicked about by guys ALL the time? :(
"So you've found me. Congratulations"
Ramona

Postby barnaclelapse » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:59 pm

The same reasons most of us get dicked around by people in general?
barnaclelapse

Postby Lil » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Ramona wrote:Why do I let myself get dicked about by guys ALL the time? :(

I just went through the same thing. Keep your chin up and don't let the douchebags get to you. You will find the "one" someday. :)
Lil

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Because you're not gay, so don't have to worry about getting dicked about by girls at any time? Think of the bisexuals. Twice the dicking around to swap between!

Anyway, i digress.... He's obviously not worth getting aggravated over - you'll definitely find someone else better. Good luck!
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Maple » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:14 am

These days I do not bother with relationships. I loved 2 women. I can't love another. The first got pregnant while I was away on a long tour. I understood but in her desperation she tried to tell me I was the father. She was 2 months pregnant. I was away for 4 months. Things were never the same. She had an abortion without my knowledge and the relationship died away.

The second woman loved me utterly. I was touring again and the relationship became distant. It ended becoming irrelevant. Add to that a cultural expanse that could not be traversed...

I still love her and I am sure she loves me. We last spoke in 1999.

I wont love again. Twice is fine, thrice would be cheating.

I never had children. I do have music students though, and I care for them all deeply. Both the children and adults.
Maple

Postby Ramona » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

Because you're not gay, so don't have to worry about getting dicked about by girls at any time? Think of the bisexuals. Twice the dicking around to swap between!

Anyway, i digress.... He's obviously not worth getting aggravated over - you'll definitely find someone else better. Good luck!

thanks MC.
I know he's not worth it. I do just bring this on myself and I'm not sure why I do.
Anyway, I'm reet...over it!
Ramona

Postby Ramona » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Maple wrote:And many musicians wonder why people don't go to concerts. I know, I hear them whine every day about it.

(I also whine, but let's keep that our little secret huh?) ;)

Another reason why I like going to gigs in small venues. Full of some real talented musicians but still having to keep their day jobs to get by. It's all about the music...not the money :)
Ramona

Postby Maple » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:49 pm

No, its all about the money. ;)

Always!

My "day job" is musician.

Many people want my job. They aren't good enough.

They should have practiced harder. I did 35 hours practice last week. And I am an established professional musician.

I am not gigging tonight becaues the pay was not good enough. I made money teaching.

It is always about money. Musicians pay rent too.
Maple

Postby Ramona » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Maple wrote:No, its all about the money. ;)

Always!

My "day job" is musician.

Many people want my job. They aren't good enough.

They should have practiced harder. I did 35 hours practice last week. And I am an established professional musician.

I am not gigging tonight becaues the pay was not good enough. I made money teaching.

It is always about money. Musicians pay rent too.

I know plenty of people who do it because they enjoy playing in front of a crowd.
Didn't mean to offend like, sorry man.
Ramona

Postby Maple » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:13 pm

I am not offended Ramona. Not at all.

It costs me $200.00 for my roadie. He, Kurt, must go to my storage, collect whatever instruments I need, deliver and set them up in the venue. He performs a sound check. Then at the nights end has to pack everything up and return it to my storage.

There are many levels of musician out there. The first question my manager asks is "what does it pay?" He gets 18% for that. :)
Maple

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Maple wrote:No, its all about the money. ;)

Always!

:twisted: No offence, but I find that a little hard to believe to be honest. :shock:

Funny enough, the person who I find has explained the artistic temprement the best is Stephen King.
In the foreword of his book Skeleton Crew, he talks about a friend who asked him one day why he bothered, and here's a couple of quotes from his answering statement...............

All the same,you don't do it for the money,or you're a monkey.You don't think of the bottom line,or you're a monkey.You don't think of it in terms of hourly wage,yearly wage,ever life time wage,or you're a monkey.In the end you don't even do it for love,although it would be nice to think so.You do it because to not do it is suicide.And while that is tough,there are compensations I could never tell Wyatt about,because he is not that kind of guy.

I don't need to draw you a picture,do I?You don't do it for money;you do it because it saves you from feeling bad.A man or a woman able to turn his or her back on something like that is just a monkey,thats all.The story paid me by letting me get back to sleep when I felt as if I couldn't.I paid the story back by getting it concrete,which it wanted to be.The rest is just side effects.

I've used the above as examples before on forums so I had them to hand, unfotunatly the most compelling argument SK makes is not quoted online (as far as I know) and i've not got the book (think it might have been Different Seasons) to hand right now.
I'll try and paraphrase to get the meaning over.

Humans are highly suseptable to a mania known as hobbies.
The teacher may do gravestone rubbings in her spare time, the chemist might be a coin collector, the shop assistant might be a photographer.
Now and again some of these people become so good hobbies they are able to make them into a proffession. The teacher may be able to move onto the lecture circuit, the shop assistand may be able to support themselves by taking photographs.
It's hard to think of something we enjoy as a real job, so by mutual consent we call these proffessional hobbies "the arts"
The difference is, that all these people, every one, would continue to do what they do even if they were no longer paid for their services.
In fact many would continue to do it even if their art were banned. The chemist, rather than hand in his collection would no doubt put them in a waterproof container and store them in the cistern of the toilet, to be taken out and looked over in the dead of night.
Don't get me wrong, money is a useful thing to have (let's not desend into total fantasy just yet) and everybody needs to eat, but the money is a side effect that allows you to keep practicing your art.
You do it because you need to do it, because it's in you to do it, and that you can't imagine what it would be like to not be doing it.

That's the way I feel about it anyway :lol:

I can honestly say that if I was never paid another penny to sing another word, i'd still be doing it.

And I suspect that if it really was 100% about money, you would not feel such warmth and pride towards your students.
And even if you were never paid to do so again, i'll give you whaever odds you want that you would not go through the rest of your life without picking up another instrument :wink:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby kat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 am

my brother is a total fucking arse, I want to watch Question Of Sport (half an hour, not on iplayer) and he wants to play Battlefield (the thing he does all day) and he kicks off at me and says he's on reduced hours at work cos he has mental problems, as if he's the only one, I have to work I can't afford not to, yet he seems to think that all that has happened has had no effect on me and is refusing to take the PS3 out of the living room because "it's half his" yet I have never even played the damn thing and he uses it as an excuse to kick me out of the room even when he has a perfectly fine TV in his room he can use, whereas the TV in my room is 15 years ols and is broken, he's so fucking selfish
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion