Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Favourite / least favourite stand-up comedians

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Favourite / least favourite stand-up comedians

Postby Forever Jung » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I quite like John Bishop. I don't think it matters when the subject becomes based around football as it's more about the delivery of the general story surrounding it. My mate isn't a football fan at all, but he still finds it hilarious when he does the bits that are football based.

I do think you make a valid point about the differences between seeing people appearing on those panel shows, and even tv stand up shows, in comparison to their actual proper, full, stand-up routines.

:twisted: I don't mind a bit of football based humor. I understand how serious some people take it and when you put that under the spotlight it can be funny. But he seemed to really linger over it and after a while I was thinking "OK, you played at Anfield, I get it, move onto something else".

To put it another way, a lot of people know what it's like to follow an artist/band but would it be funny for me to do a half hour comedy stint about Meat Loaf?
I think that would send everyone asleep :lol:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Forever Jung wrote:Eddie Izzard, i've heard a couple of great clips on youtuve of him lately.
Darth Vader in the Death Star canteen, and how the English took over countries because they didn't own a flag :lol:

You name an Eddie Izzard clip, I'll bet you that in 90% of cases, I can more or less remember the whole script! :lol:

What is it Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.
It's just the rebels, Sir. They're here.
My God man! ....do they want tea?
No, I think they're after something more than that Sir, I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I can take or leave Frankie Boyle. The offensiveness levels of his jokes make no difference to me as he's got nothing on Jerry Sadowitz for saying things that people will get up in arms about. It might be ill-conceived to joke about Harvey, but Katie Price is a pretty hypocritical media whore in using her own son for her marketing needs with idiots like ITV and OK magazine. If she thinks Harvey is off-bounds to public comment that's fair enough, but she should also leave the poor kid out of all her own media whore-mongering and stop exploiting him.

That's true, it does sometimes seem like she's exploiting him for her own needs, it might not even be that way, but it certainly seems like it. Some would probably argue she does it to show how difficult it is and the money goes towards her kids' future, but even so, it's not fair to exploit the poor kid like that. Like I said, I can't stand the woman. The joke may have been offensive, but it had been on the DVD for months before it was aired on TV in his sketch show, I don't know why she never kicked up a stink about it then, I would have thought it'd have gotten back to her.

I'm the kind of person who's not easily offended by jokes of that nature, so his jokes never bothered me - although there were times when I would feel guilty for laughing at them :lol:
!Amz!

Postby !Amz! » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Just watched Lee Mack's Going Out tour, forgot how funny it was. My favourite joke had to be at the end though when he was talking about how him and his wife sing their arguments to avoid upsetting their kids :lol:
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:21 pm

!Amz! wrote:Just watched Lee Mack's Going Out tour, forgot how funny it was. My favourite joke had to be at the end though when he was talking about how him and his wife sing their arguments to avoid upsetting their kids :lol:

Never seen that, but I can imagine it! Really want to watch it now, might have to try and find a copy!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:27 pm

It's very good, that's definitely the best joke of the show, but there's some other brilliant ones in it. Not sure whether I prefer him doing stand up or when he does WILTY. I love it when him and David Mitchell end up shouting at each other across the set over things :lol:
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30 pm

!Amz! wrote:It's very good, that's definitely the best joke of the show, but there's some other brilliant ones in it. Not sure whether I prefer him doing stand up or when he does WILTY. I love it when him and David Mitchell end up shouting at each other across the set over things :lol:

Haha, it took me ages to work out what WILTY meant then! :lol: He, David Mitchell and Rob Brydon have a very good rapport - I think it's what makes the show so hilarious. I love it when Lee says something that gives David the giggles, you can tell he's genuinely laughing!
Dorset Girl

Postby Forever Jung » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:What is it Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.
It's just the rebels, Sir. They're here.
My God man! ....do they want tea?
No, I think they're after something more than that Sir, I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag.

:twisted: Star Wars and a flag?
Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

BTW, agree with MC 100% about Katie Price 8-)
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby !Amz! » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:59 am

Dorset Girl wrote:
!Amz! wrote:It's very good, that's definitely the best joke of the show, but there's some other brilliant ones in it. Not sure whether I prefer him doing stand up or when he does WILTY. I love it when him and David Mitchell end up shouting at each other across the set over things :lol:

Haha, it took me ages to work out what WILTY meant then! :lol: He, David Mitchell and Rob Brydon have a very good rapport - I think it's what makes the show so hilarious. I love it when Lee says something that gives David the giggles, you can tell he's genuinely laughing!

I know, just his laugh in general is brilliant - the 'cuddle jumper' was probably the funniest 10 minutes of TV I've seen in ages :lol:
!Amz!

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:08 am

Dorset Girl wrote:My absolute favourite used to be Eddie Izzard, but now it's David Mitchell. Lee Mack is brill too, and Rob Brydon. Greg Davies, Stewart Francis, Peter Kaye... there are loads I like, actually.

I like Greg Davies. Never seen him doing his stand-up, apart from a short stint on the BBC's stand-up show, but he makes for a good tv personality. Don't suppose you saw the recent BBC1 series about the world's most dangerous roads? The second episode featured him and Rhod Gilbert driving together in Nepal. It was very funny listening to the pair bantering.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Ramona » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Best: Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, David Michell, Tim Vine, Lee Mack...some more that I'm forgetting right now

Worst: Lee Evans.
"So you've found me. Congratulations"
Ramona

Postby Ramona » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Peter Kay is alright, but he's not a very nice man.
Ramona

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Ramona wrote:Peter Kay is alright, but he's not a very nice man.

That's interesting to hear - what makes you say that?
Dorset Girl

Postby Ramona » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:48 pm

I live in the same village as him. I've met him, briefly. And a couple of other people I know have. He's abit rude.
Ramona

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Ramona wrote:I live in the same village as him. I've met him, briefly. And a couple of other people I know have. He's abit rude.

That's a shame to hear - perhaps his fame has gone to his head a bit. I've met a few celebs out and about, and they've all seemed very nice, but I've heard stories of others who are very arrogant - Ronnie Corbett is one. Two Ronnies By the Sea was filmed in my home town, I know several people who met them both and say Ronnie Barker was lovely, Ronnie Corbett was pure arrogance.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:19 pm

That could be another thread, actually - celebrities we've met. Not sure if we've had that one before, though?
Dorset Girl

Postby kat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:That could be another thread, actually - celebrities we've met. Not sure if we've had that one before, though?

if we did that I'd fill it with nerdy motorsport people that no-one else has ever heard of :lol:
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby tenpercenter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 am

bill hicks
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:12 pm

kat wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:That could be another thread, actually - celebrities we've met. Not sure if we've had that one before, though?

if we did that I'd fill it with nerdy motorsport people that no-one else has ever heard of :lol:

I'd probably have it filled with US sports athletes that most of you have never heard of! :lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:26 pm

I would remember those things, so perhaps we haven't had that thread after all. I'll start one... I'm bored. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:22 pm

!Amz! wrote:Just watched Lee Mack's Going Out tour, forgot how funny it was. My favourite joke had to be at the end though when he was talking about how him and his wife sing their arguments to avoid upsetting their kids :lol:

I've just watched this - think I prefer him on panel shows and sitcoms! I think some members of the audience were generally offended at some of the things he said, and I'm pretty sure the woman with the spotty top was actually crying! :shock: :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:11 pm

I really like Lee Mack when he's doing his stand-up act. Very funny.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby !Amz! » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:16 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:

I've just watched this - think I prefer him on panel shows and sitcoms! I think some members of the audience were generally offended at some of the things he said, and I'm pretty sure the woman with the spotty top was actually crying! :shock: :lol:

I know what you mean, although I might watch it again to see about the woman in the spotty top! :lol: I've laughed more at him on NGO (I saw one episode this morning where he was pretending to be The Proclaimers with a puppet attached to him and I was in absolute stitches!) and on WILTY to be honest, although I was crying with laughter with the joke I mentioned in my last post! I've seen his first DVD so many times it's quite repetative to watch now. I think he went a bit OTT with the guy in the audience who he kept saying was a paedophile as well, there were a few too many references to that!

I did like the beginning with "I did say no kids!" though (but how the hell did a 12 year old get in to see that?! The DVD was an 18!) :lol:
!Amz!

Postby Wezzo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 am

Stewart Lee, Rich Hall, Tim Minchin, Chris Rock, Louis CK would probably be my top five. Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Dave Gorman, Ricky Gervais, Jerry Seinfeld, Russell Howard, Stewart Francis, Reginald D Hunter, etc I really rate, too.
Wezzo

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:20 am

Favourites include Bill Bailey, Stewart Lee, Lee Mack, Russell Howard, Jimmy Carr, Rhod Gilbert, Peter Kay, Dylan Moran, Jack Dee and Simon Amstell.

Not a fan of Alan Carr, John Bishop, Lenny Henry, Julian Clary, Johnny Vegas and Ricky Gervais' last few efforts have been pretty dreadful.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion