Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Book You Read

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Last Book You Read

Postby jonespaker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:34 am

I've just start read Game of thrones book series story and stuffs. I've planned for go enjoy with book series after finish it's season 1. As it seems worthy watching HBO fantasy show book to me.
jonespaker

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:33 pm

:twisted: Kingfest keeps on trucking with Desperation.
I'm just past the halfway point.
Apparently there is a foilm version that follows the book pretty closely so i'll have to take a look when i'm done reading the book.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:56 pm

A Song of Ice and Fire: A Clash of Kings - George R R Martin

If pushed, I probably marginally preferred the first installment (A Game of Thrones) but this was still excellent and gripping and moved all the characters forward convincingly. Tyrion remains my favourite character. Looking forward to seeing HBO's adaptation next year.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Forever Jung » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:06 pm

:twisted: I've got about 20 pages to go of SK's Cell.
I've ordered The Shining so that's next up.
Forever Jung

Postby tenpercenter » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:33 pm

american scream, the bill hicks story
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby barnaclelapse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:08 pm

I seem to remember that book being a little disappointing.

"The Wind-up Bird Chronicles" is one of the best books I've read in a long, long time.
barnaclelapse

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:10 pm

:twisted: Finished Cell.
Enjoyed it right the way through the book (it was really hard to put down some nights) but I was a bit dissapointed in the ending.
Forever Jung

Postby !Amz! » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:36 pm

My friend's meant to be sending me some books she doesn't want anymore, one of which being One Day which I'm quite keen to read. Just wish she'd bloody hurry up and post them! :lol:
!Amz!

Postby Agides » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: I've got about 20 pages to go of SK's Cell.

I've recently read that SK is currently writing the sequel to that. I think it's working title is Dr Sleep or something very like that. No idea of a release date though, I'm afraid.
(Apparently it was King's least favourite film adaptations of one of his books too - he wanted Jon Voight to play the role of Torrence.)
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Agides » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:19 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:I seem to remember that book being a little disappointing.

"The Wind-up Bird Chronicles" is one of the best books I've read in a long, long time.

I'm a big fan of Murakami. Norwegian Wood is especially wonderful and one of my favourite books.
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Agides wrote:
Forever Jung wrote::twisted: I've got about 20 pages to go of SK's Cell.

I've recently read that SK is currently writing the sequel to that. I think it's working title is Dr Sleep or something very like that. No idea of a release date though, I'm afraid.
(Apparently it was King's least favourite film adaptations of one of his books too - he wanted Jon Voight to play the role of Torrence.)

I think SK's style has changed a lot since 'The Shining' - I would definitely read a sequel, but I'd be surprised if it captured the same 'feel' as the original.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:07 pm

:twisted: Interesting to hear about the sequel.

I'm going to start the book sometime next week.
I never read a book when i've had a few beers, and with the gigs over the weekend and the funeral on Monday, it would be too many interuptions, so looks like i'll be getting stuck into it either Tuesday or Wednesday.

The last book I tried to read was one of the Flashman novels.

The premise of the books is that a highly decorated war hero has passed away and in his house are found his own account of his exploits.
It seems that he is not quite the hero everyone thinks he is, in fact he's a coward and a complete and utter bastard, happy to lie, steal, murder, double cross, and roger his way around the empire.

For instance, the book I tried told of how Flashman (while in Mexico) agreed to help rebels assasinate the emperor.
During the attack the emperor came under the impression that Flashman just happened to be there at the time and had in fact saved his life.
In gratitude, the emperor gave Flashman a post of importance at his court.
When the rebels finally won through and put the deposed emperor in front of a firing squad, Flashman decided it would be a good time to exit the country. A ship from the emperors native Austria arrived to take the emperors body back home, and Flashman blagged the job of guarding the royal corpse.
While on the ship he met, wooed, and rogered silly, the captains young niece who accompanied her uncle on the journey before going home to be married to a count.
Finding this out, the captain wasn't very happy, and although he himself had to leave port again with the emperors body, he left somebody behind to deal with Flashman.
This is why Flashman (who's old friend had asked him to take a war chest to Abyssinia, to which Flashman told him to bugger off) changes his mind and skips town sharpish with the loot in the opposite direction away from the Austrian chap with the sharp sword and orders to put that sword somewhere in Flashmans person.

Like Richard Sharpe, Flashman has a knack of finding himself at every major battle and campaign of his day (and not ones just involving the British army), from The Charge Of The Light Brigade to The Battle Of The Little Big Horn with Custer.
A true relectant hero, Flashman will run from where he think the enemy is, whereas he's charging straight at their most fortified position, earning him honors and respect from his peers. Being the only survivor of a military action (because it's hard to get killed when you're hiding) has it's advantages as your account is the only one people will get to hear, so who's going to put folk right about your "heroic deeds"?

Unfortunatly I don't find Flashman an easy read (I would compare some parts so far to wading through tracle rather than swimming through water) which is unfortunate as I LOVE the idea of an anti Sharpe, a cad and a bounder who bullshits himself around the empire becoming more famous and honoured with every despicable deed.

Perhaps it's just me who has this problem as I know people who swear by the books.
I had a similar problem with the Hornblower books. I like to fall through the page (a metophore by Mr King, and one i'm fond of) whereas most of the time I spend reading Hornblower I was aware I was reading a story.

I think I may not give up on Flashman yet though, god bless his black heart, because I love the idea so much.
Forever Jung

Postby !Amz! » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:19 pm

Started reading One Day whilst waiting around at uni, haven't read enough yet to comment much, but from what I've read so far it seems like something I can quite easily get into.
!Amz!

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Finished up "The Help" earlier this week.

Great story about black maids working for white families in the southern US in the 60s. Made me angry at times. And what is really sad is that for many in the south, they still hold onto some of these feelings and attitudes about race.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:22 pm

Not quite sure it really counts as a 'read' but it was the latest Iron Maiden book, On Board Flight 666, released by their official photographer, John McMurtrie. Some amazing photos to chronicle a few years of touring. You had a look through it, kat?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Not quite sure it really counts as a 'read' but it was the latest Iron Maiden book, On Board Flight 666, released by their official photographer, John McMurtrie. Some amazing photos to chronicle a few years of touring. You had a look through it, kat?

yeah had a flick through it last week, some great picturesseeing as christmas/birthday is coming up, may drop some not so sublte hints
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:11 am

kat wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Not quite sure it really counts as a 'read' but it was the latest Iron Maiden book, On Board Flight 666, released by their official photographer, John McMurtrie. Some amazing photos to chronicle a few years of touring. You had a look through it, kat?

yeah had a flick through it last week, some great picturesseeing as christmas/birthday is coming up, may drop some not so sublte hints

Worth keeping an eye out on Amazon. It was down around £14.50 on there last i looked. Then whoever gets it for you can spend the saved tenner on an extra present for you :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Forever Jung » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 pm

:twisted: WEll I really enjoyed The Shining 8-)
Great book.

With nothing new on my plate at the moment i've taken to re-reading Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows.
Forever Jung

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:33 am

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: WEll I really enjoyed The Shining 8-)
Great book.

With nothing new on my plate at the moment i've taken to re-reading Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows.

Glad you enjoyed The Shining - I really should read it again sometime. I love the hedge animals, even though they freak me out!

Harry Potter - I've still not read the seventh book. Can't remember what happened in the first six now, so doesn't seem much point reading the seventh!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 am

I love the Harry potter books, can quote passages from them all and often read them again and again! Need to find them actually I think there at my mums.

Reading a book of heroic failures at the moment it's quite funny
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Glad you enjoyed The Shining - I really should read it again sometime. I love the hedge animals, even though they freak me out!

:twisted: Onr thing that I really liked is that it kept coming back to the masquarade ball that happened all those years ago, and it's implied that the hotel itself was wearing Jack like a mask.

When you come down to it it's just saying "Jack's possessed", but I think it was a really cool way of saying it 8-)
Forever Jung

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Spoiler: show
Glad you enjoyed The Shining - I really should read it again sometime. I love the hedge animals, even though they freak me out!

I liked it too. Though it freaked me out quite a bit. (not so much that I had to put in in the freezer). I'm not a big fan of most of King's stuff (mostly because it creeps me out way too much) but The Shining was excellent.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:39 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:not so much that I had to put in in the freezer

:lol:

I always marvelled that Joey was actually attempting to read a novel...
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:not so much that I had to put in in the freezer

:lol:

I always marvelled that Joey was actually attempting to read a novel...

So true! I also give him credit for getting through Little Women. That book bored the hell out of me and it took me forever to read.
CatNamedRudy

Postby tenpercenter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:01 pm

see a little light- the trail of rage and melody- bob mould
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion