Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What has confused you today?

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: What has confused you today?

Postby !Amz! » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:23 pm

I think you're right about the 'sibling rivalry' thing DG :lol:

I know I'm going to have to just suck it up and be happy for him, I could just do without the possibility of all his family in my flat going on about it - in a way it makes me feel like they're trying to subtly hint that I'm not good enough for him. He still hasn't officially told me, so I don't know all the facts yet, I guess I might feel better if I know what's going on.

God I wish I could study myself for my dissertation next year, think I could go into quite some detail! :lol:
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:29 pm

!Amz! wrote:I think you're right about the 'sibling rivalry' thing DG :lol:

I know I'm going to have to just suck it up and be happy for him, I could just do without the possibility of all his family in my flat going on about it - in a way it makes me feel like they're trying to subtly hint that I'm not good enough for him. He still hasn't officially told me, so I don't know all the facts yet, I guess I might feel better if I know what's going on.

God I wish I could study myself for my dissertation next year, think I could go into quite some detail! :lol:

:lol: I would love to do Psychology, in an attempt to understand my own brain which is a mystery to me, so I know where you're coming from there! :D

I don't know his family obviously, but perhaps you're just being paranoid in thinking they're aiming it at you. Perhaps it's purely that they're happy for him. Are they like that with other family members if something good happens, do you know?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Oh, also - if they are aiming it at you, then so what? It's not up to them to decide whether you're good enough for their son or not, so try not to care what they think. :) Have confidence in yourself, and soon you'll find their comments don't bother you!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:09 pm

As far as I'm aware they don't seem to do it with his brother and sister. From what I've seen/heard he's the 'special' one because he's the oldest and he was also ill a lot when he was younger, so maybe that's why they (particularly his mum) do it.

His Dad doesn't seem to have a problem with me, and 90% of the time his mum doesn't either, but I do sometimes get the feeling that she doesn't think I'm good enough, although loads of Mum's from what I've heard are like that with their sons :lol:

I found out more about this award thing, he's won "most promising student" for technology at uni. He's already said that he won't be inviting his family up, as the ceremony's in the week on a Thursday night, so it wouldn't be the most practical idea for them to come up, so that's a weight off. I guess I'll just have to suck up to the gushing when we're home next.

I think the main reason I'm being funny about it is because I'm worried. If he's getting this much out of his course before even starting the second year, then he's clearly going to go extremely far in the future, in terms of job offers and things, and I'm just worried that he'll be offered this big amazing job that's in a different location that's too far to commute and that it'll spell problems for us. I know if that happens I should try to be happy for him, and ages ago we mutually make a pact that if either one of us were offered an opportunity for a job in the future, no matter how interesting, how much money, how amazing it is, we'd make sure we put the other one of us first before deciding what to do about it, and we both agreed if that meant turning it down, then that's what we'd do.

It sounds silly, reading that back actually. I just think that it's all good making a pact about a hypothetical situation when it's not likely to happen for a while yet, but what's going to happen if and when the situation comes up for real? I think if he was presented with an amazing job opportunity he'd think twice about giving it up for the sake of our relationship, especially with the pressure from his family too. And I wouldn't want them or him to resent me for it if he did give it up so we could stay together.

Way into the future I know, but he keeps talking to his mum on the phone about jobs and what he wants to do after we graduate and it seems time's going faster than we realise. The idea of what happens after graduation scares the shit out of me to be perfectly honest.
!Amz!

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:28 pm

ages ago we mutually make a pact that if either one of us were offered an opportunity for a job in the future, no matter how interesting, how much money, how amazing it is, we'd make sure we put the other one of us first before deciding what to do about it, and we both agreed if that meant turning it down, then that's what we'd do.

See now I think that's a terrible idea. If one of you were to get an offer of an amazing job that they really want but won't take it because the other one doesn't want you to it will not end well. You two are both young and need to take every advantage that is thrown at you. If you don't, you'll end up blaming one another for roads not taken!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby !Amz! » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:42 pm

I know, that's why I'm worried. It's not necessarily because we don't want the other to not take a job, it's more because we don't want to end up having to split because of it. He's adament that he'd never leave me for a job and he said that in his subject line he can get a job pretty much anywhere (although there's no gaurantee in that given the current state of jobs), but I like I said the pressures from his family might make him change his mind, I don't want him to resent me for not taking it.

He said that we're just going to have to really communicate properly over the next 2 years in order to decide what's best for the both of us if one of us gets offered a job. Although in that sense, it seemed like he was only planning for what would happen if only one of us got offered one. If he's offered a job quite a while away from here for example and I'm offered one here, I don't know what's going to happen. I've never done it but I know I wouldn't be able to handle a long distance relationship - and we both known that, so I don't know what would happen there.
!Amz!

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:38 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
ages ago we mutually make a pact that if either one of us were offered an opportunity for a job in the future, no matter how interesting, how much money, how amazing it is, we'd make sure we put the other one of us first before deciding what to do about it, and we both agreed if that meant turning it down, then that's what we'd do.

See now I think that's a terrible idea. If one of you were to get an offer of an amazing job that they really want but won't take it because the other one doesn't want you to it will not end well. You two are both young and need to take every advantage that is thrown at you. If you don't, you'll end up blaming one another for roads not taken!

Got to agree with Cat here. If the hypothetical job is that great, it's going to be better for the other person to also move to that place, and do their own thing from there, if you both really wanted to be together. Either person not taking a job because the other doesn't want them to is a 100% guaranteed way to create resentment.

It all comes down to insecurity, i suppose. You need to feel confidence and trust in each other, otherwise there's nothing there. Don't give a shit what anybody else thinks, including the parents, though. It shouldn't matter to either of you if you both want to be together. No one else can seriously change your minds about being together.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby !Amz! » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks MC, hearing yours and Cat's advice does make me realise how stupid that pact was. Thinking about it the other way, I wouldn't want him to stop me from taking a job, so I shouldn't expect him to give one up for me.

I think in time I won't care what his family think of me, but I do occasionally worry that they think I'm behind a lot of things that he does.

I just really worry about the idea of a long distance thing. Deep down I do trust him, and I know he trusts me, but I have a lot of insecurities, like you said, and I don't think I'd be able to shake the idea of him meeting someone else. I know he probably wouldn't even think of it, as he constantly says, but my imagination would drive me crazy and I think I'd probably end up either making myself ill over it, or even worse driving him away because of it. I've seen girls flirt with him before (usually when they were drunk) and it drove me insane every time I saw it, even though rationally, I knew nothing was ever going to happen. I know with time it would be easier to get used to a long distance thing if we had one, but it'd be a really rough few months at first and in all honesty I don't know if I'd want to put myself through it. I've always said to him "I trust you, I just don't trust anyone else" but a lot of people say that's just re-wording the fact I don't trust him.

I'm going to see about sorting some counselling out when I go back to uni, as I think I need to get my head sorted with a few of these issues, if I don't do anything now, they'll probably only get worse.
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Just had the weridest phone interview. The woman spent most of the time trying to convince me that their pay was lower, and the work was more difficult, than elsewhere. Then at the end of the conversation, I seemed to have been offered the job, but I'm not entirely sure... she says she'll phone me again next week. :scratch:
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:30 pm

I hate interviews where they try and put you off the job!

I had one like that, and said if the job was so shit why did you do it, and if your in care for the money your in it for the wrong reasons... Strangely enough I never got a call from them at all!

What job is it?
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:34 pm

It's the same as I'm doing at the moment, but for a different Uni. I'd still be working for Swansea, but was hoping to do a bit extra elsewhere. I'm not so sure I want to now, though! The money would be nice, but money's not everything...
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:38 pm

I belong to several local 'for sale' groups on Facebook. I continue to be astounded by the amount of people who advertise their items by pointing out their negative points - two that have come up today are "bought this from someone else, but it's much grubbier than I thought it would be so I'm selling it again" and "Quick sale needed as this is way too big and gets in the way." :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I belong to several local 'for sale' groups on Facebook. I continue to be astounded by the amount of people who advertise their items by pointing out their negative points - two that have come up today are "bought this from someone else, but it's much grubbier than I thought it would be so I'm selling it again" and "Quick sale needed as this is way too big and gets in the way." :lol:

:lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I belong to several local 'for sale' groups on Facebook. I continue to be astounded by the amount of people who advertise their items by pointing out their negative points - two that have come up today are "bought this from someone else, but it's much grubbier than I thought it would be so I'm selling it again" and "Quick sale needed as this is way too big and gets in the way." :lol:

:lol: how silly!!

Im on the l'head one and the strangest thing ive seen so far is a second hand breast pump ... ew!
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 pm

woggle wrote:Im on the l'head one and the strangest thing ive seen so far is a second hand breast pump ... ew!

I remember one of my workmates bought a second-hand breast pump from ebay several years ago, and I thought it was gross, but having bought and used a new one myself, I would actually buy secondhand if I needed it again. It's all sterilised. Having a baby makes you feel a whole lot less squeamish about things like that. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby woggle » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
woggle wrote:Im on the l'head one and the strangest thing ive seen so far is a second hand breast pump ... ew!

I remember one of my workmates bought a second-hand breast pump from ebay several years ago, and I thought it was gross, but having bought and used a new one myself, I would actually buy secondhand if I needed it again. It's all sterilised. Having a baby makes you feel a whole lot less squeamish about things like that. :lol:

Yea i guess ive seen enough poop , sore bums , sick and all sorts from my two monster nephews so i see what you mean ..lol
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:45 am

I have to make a decision - there are two training courses running at the end of March, and I need to go to one of them.

Do I pick the one that will be most useful for my job - but is further away (Bolton) and of which I have very emotional memories from last year (very drunk boss, for whom I had strong feelings at the time - I think that event had a lot to do with the start of the depression I've been experiencing lately).

Or do I pick the one that isn't nearly so useful, but is closer (London), and go to that knowing my colleagues will be in Bolton at the same time?

No idea what to do. I can't think about Bolton last year without a host of memories swarming around my brain - but I know that from a work point of view, that would be the most helpful of the two.
Dorset Girl

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:38 pm

:twisted: Neither.
While everyone from the office is out at one meeting or the other, stage a Coup d'état and sieze control.
Build a little fort out of desks and chairs with just a little eye slit (for vision and poking a broom at intruders through), and demand anyone who comes near "knocks the secret knock" before entering.
You could also claim independence and set up diplomatic relationships with foreign powers. If you can convince the American government your former masters were communists you can pretty much guarentee a large cash injection to reform and restore your homeland to it's former glory.

Either that or they'll put you in a jacket without sleeves, lock you in a room with padded walls, and may require you to wear a Hannibal Lecter mask.

Either way, which conference to attand will be the last of your worries ever again :D
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:36 pm

^^ Haha, I somehow missed that post above! :D

Today's confusing thing: why is my leg covered in huge bruises?!
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:08 am

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Neither.
While everyone from the office is out at one meeting or the other, stage a Coup d'état and sieze control.
Build a little fort out of desks and chairs with just a little eye slit (for vision and poking a broom at intruders through), and demand anyone who comes near "knocks the secret knock" before entering.
You could also claim independence and set up diplomatic relationships with foreign powers. If you can convince the American government your former masters were communists you can pretty much guarentee a large cash injection to reform and restore your homeland to it's former glory.

Either that or they'll put you in a jacket without sleeves, lock you in a room with padded walls, and may require you to wear a Hannibal Lecter mask.

Either way, which conference to attand will be the last of your worries ever again :D

::like::
CatNamedRudy

Postby Ramona » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:35 am

I'd take FJ's advice.
"So you've found me. Congratulations"
Ramona

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:21 am

Confused quiz show contestants... all real, apparently!

UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE (BBC2)

Jeremy Paxman: What is another name for 'cherrypickers' and 'cheesemongers'?
Contestant: Homosexuals.
Jeremy Paxman: No. They're regiments in the British Army who will be very upset with you

BEG, BORROW OR STEAL (BBC2)

Jamie Theakston: Where do you think Cambridge University is?
Contestant: Geography isn't my strong point.
Jamie Theakston: There's a clue in the title.
Contestant: Leicester

BBC NORFOLK

Stewart White: Who had a worldwide hit with What A Wonderful World?
Contestant: I don't know.
Stewart White: I'll give you some clues: what do you call the part between your hand and your elbow?
Contestant: Arm
Stewart White: Correct. And if you're not weak, you're...?
Contestant: Strong.
Stewart White: Correct - and what was Lord Mountbatten's first name?
Contestant: Louis
Stewart White: Well, there we are then. So who had a worldwide hit with the song What A Wonderful World?
Contestant: Frank Sinatra?

LATE SHOW (BBC MIDLANDS )

Alex Trelinski: What is the capital of Italy ?
Contestant: France.
Trelinski: France is another country. Try again.
Contestant: Oh, um, Benidorm.
Trelinski: Wrong, sorry, let's try another question. In which country is the Parthenon?
Contestant: Sorry, I don't know.
Trelinski: Just guess a country then
Contestant: Paris.

THE WEAKEST LINK (BBC2)

Anne Robinson: Oscar Wilde, Adolf Hitler and Jeffrey Archer have all written books about their experiences in what: - Prison, or the Conservative Party?
Contestant: The Conservative Party.

BEACON RADIO ( WOLVERHAMPTON )

DJ Mark: For 10, what is the nationality of the Pope?
Ruth from Rowley Regis: I think I know that one. Is it Jewish?

UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE

Bamber Gascoyne: What was Gandhi's first name?
Contestant: Goosey?

GWR FM ( Bristol )

Presenter: What happened in Dallas on November 22, 1963 ?
Contestant: I don't know, I wasn't watching it then.

PHIL WOOD SHOW (BBC RADIO? MANCHESTER)

Phil: What's 11 squared?
Contestant: I don't know.
Phil: I'll give you a clue. It's two ones with a two in the middle.
Contestant: Is it five?

RICHARD AND JUDY

Richard: Which American actor is married to Nicole Kidman?
Contestant: Forrest Gump.

RICHARD AND JUDY

Richard: On which street did Sherlock Holmes live?
Contestant: Er. ... .....
Richard: He makes bread . .. ....
Contestant: Er .. ........
Richard: He makes cakes . .. ....
Contestant: Kipling Street?

LINCS FM PHONE-IN

Presenter: Which is the largest Spanish-speaking country in the world?
Contestant: Barcelona.
Presenter: I was really after the name of a country.
Contestant: I'm sorry, I don't know the names of any countries in Spain ..

NATIONAL LOTTERY (BBC1)

Question: What is the world's largest continent?
Contestant: The Pacific.

ROCK FM ( PRESTON )

Presenter: Name a film starring Bob Hoskins that is also the name of a famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci.
Contestant: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

THE BIGGEST GAME IN TOWN (ITV)

Steve Le Fevre: What was signed, to bring World War I to an end in 1918?
Contestant: Magna Carta?

JAMES O'BRIEN SHOW (LBC)

James O'Brien: How many kings of England have been called Henry?
Contestant: Er, well, I know there was a Henry the Eighth ... ER. ER ... Three?

CHRIS SEARLE SHOW (BBC RADIO BRISTOL )

Chris Searle: In which European country is Mount Etna ?
Caller: Japan.
Chris Searle: I did say which European country, so in case you didn't hear that, I can let you try again.
Caller: Er ........ Mexico ?

PAUL WAPPAT (BBC RADIO NEWCASTLE )

Paul Wappat: How long did the Six-Day War between Egypt and Israel last?
Contestant (long pause): Fourteen days.

DARYL DENHAM'S DRIVETIME (VIRGIN RADIO)

Daryl Denham: In which country would you spend shekels?
Contestant: Holland?
Daryl Denham: Try the next letter of the alphabet.
Contestant: Iceland? Ireland ?
Daryl Denham: (helpfully) It's a bad line. Did you say Israel ?
Contestant: No.

PHIL WOOD SHOW (BBC GMR)

Phil Wood: What 'K' could be described as the Islamic Bible?
Contestant: Er... .... ......
Phil Wood: It's got two syllables .. .. . Kor . ..
Contestant: Blimey?
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:28 am

:lol: Some crazy ones in there :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Ha, those are great! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Confused quiz show contestants... all real, apparently!

:twisted: ROFLYSST :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion