Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What has confused you today?

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: What has confused you today?

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:45 am

What has confused me today? What confuses me every day? Men!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:10 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:What has confused me today? What confuses me every day? Men!

Yeah, we're so difficult to figure out...

"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:12 am

Moon-Crane wrote:On today's episode of Pointless, only half of the 100 people asked knew the answer to the name of the more famous brother of Roy O Disney? :shock: Who else could it have been - and who in the whole of the world has never heard of Walt Disney? :scratch:

I think it's good there's a show out there that so perfectly sums itself up.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:57 am

Ha, I love the fact that the male brain has a listening 'particle' - not even an 'area'. :lol:

And in the interests of fairness:

My own shoe/handbag co-ordination area is very underdeveloped. Instead, I have a little 'girl geek' area there instead.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:11 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I think it's good there's a show out there that so perfectly sums itself up.

:lol: I've become quite engrossed by the show for some reason. I can't usually stand gameshows/quiz shows (that aren't simply vehicles for comedy shows). I like the Pointless format, though (pre-recorded so i can fast-forward through the smalltalk, get-to-know-the-contenstants, shit at the beginning). Can't explain why it appeals to me, really. I guess i could add this show to the guilty pleasure thread.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:53 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:I think it's good there's a show out there that so perfectly sums itself up.

:lol: I've become quite engrossed by the show for some reason. I can't usually stand gameshows/quiz shows (that aren't simply vehicles for comedy shows). I like the Pointless format, though (pre-recorded so i can fast-forward through the smalltalk, get-to-know-the-contenstants, shit at the beginning). Can't explain why it appeals to me, really. I guess i could add this show to the guilty pleasure thread.

:lol: We've all got one!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby tenpercenter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:18 am

how people are morons who cant drive!!!
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby woggle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Can't figure FB out and some of the changes they have done ...why put the recent information in a tiny box on the right hand side now i HAVE to be actually botherd to be nosey and scroll down it instead of it all being right there .

Also why would i want to know the status that someone on my page has liked from someone i dont even know ? weird! guess it takes FB stalking to a whole nother level.
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:59 pm

woggle wrote:Also why would i want to know the status that someone on my page has liked from someone i dont even know ? weird! guess it takes FB stalking to a whole nother level.

Definitely! It also means I have to be more careful about what I post on my work colleagues' statuses from now on, too - they're not all friends with one another, and the shit could hit the fan if they have each others' posts drawn to their attention.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby woggle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
woggle wrote:Also why would i want to know the status that someone on my page has liked from someone i dont even know ? weird! guess it takes FB stalking to a whole nother level.

Definitely! It also means I have to be more careful about what I post on my work colleagues' statuses from now on, too - they're not all friends with one another, and the shit could hit the fan if they have each others' posts drawn to their attention.

Thats not good at all , not sure what the thought is behind that idea . Maybe there is a way to only see the stuff on your mates pages not what they have written on any old tom dick and harrys stuff .
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:10 pm

woggle wrote:Thats not good at all , not sure what the thought is behind that idea . Maybe there is a way to only see the stuff on your mates pages not what they have written on any old tom dick and harrys stuff .

If your friend has their statuses set so that only their friends can read them, I'm assuming they won't come up in the news ticker for other people - at least that's what I'm hoping! No way to be sure, though.
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
woggle wrote:Thats not good at all , not sure what the thought is behind that idea . Maybe there is a way to only see the stuff on your mates pages not what they have written on any old tom dick and harrys stuff .

If your friend has their statuses set so that only their friends can read them, I'm assuming they won't come up in the news ticker for other people - at least that's what I'm hoping! No way to be sure, though.

Hmmm...right now on that stupid feed on the right, I see if my friends comment on posts from people I'm not friends with. But as you say DG, maybe those people don't have their security set up so only friends can see it.

All I know is I don't understand the point of this. The "logic" from what I've heard is that they wanted it more like Twitter. Well if I wanted Twitter, I'd be on Twitter!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:40 pm

So, Cat - can you see a post I've just made on my friend Dan's status? His is set so that only friends can view it.
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:So, Cat - can you see a post I've just made on my friend Dan's status? His is set so that only friends can view it.

Not that I found. There was some comments from you on other people's status' but not his.
CatNamedRudy

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:What has confused me today? What confuses me every day? Men!

Yeah, we're so difficult to figure out...

I think my dangerous pursuits section is slightly larger than that.
barnaclelapse

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:

Sounds completely different to how i heard it was being rejigged. I thought the point was to allow you to be able to specifically set who could see particular information that you posted? :scratch:

I had been wondering how they were going to get around displaying information between mutual friends that one might be ok with certain people seeing but the other wanting it hidden from said same people. I guess "with difficulty" is the answer :D

Oh well, it's not like i'm clamouring to use it.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:09 pm

:twisted: WHERE THE F*CK IS THE BEER? :shock:

The ball sports part of my brain is deaded than a really really dead thing that's been really dead for a really long time (as is my coherant simalie gland at the moment :oops: ).
The dangerous pursuits and driving are also pretty much absent.
I have an over developed "power slide" section, and music/singing is also a large part of my brains data storage.
The sex part I can't really argue with.

I like to think of myself as a hybrid. The next step of cider injected rock n roll fueled human evoloution.
Homo Awesomepian :D
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Wezzo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:50 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

Sounds completely different to how i heard it was being rejigged. I thought the point was to allow you to be able to specifically set who could see particular information that you posted? :scratch:

I had been wondering how they were going to get around displaying information between mutual friends that one might be ok with certain people seeing but the other wanting it hidden from said same people. I guess "with difficulty" is the answer :D

Oh well, it's not like i'm clamouring to use it.

Well, they've made multiple changes (with many more to come) but the main ones are
-heavier promotion of friend lists (ie going a bit Google Plus, with emphasis on choosing who to share with)
-real-time ticker of all actions from your friends that sits alongside the primary News Feed (including comments on statuses of people you're not friends with, as long as they have been shared publicly or with friends of friends)
-ability to subscribe (ie Twitter-style follow) to bloggers and celebs who don't have "fan pages" but you don't know personally enough to friend
-adjusting the main news feed to combine both "recent updates" and "important updates since you last logged in" (previously seperated)
Wezzo

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:04 am

That last one is the bit that's doing my head in! I have no idea whether I'm seeing everything that's been posted since I last logged in or not. Stories will suddenly appear at the top of the page that were posted four or five hours ago, but that I haven't previously seen. Very confusing for my tiny brain. It made much more sense to me when you could just click 'most recent' and see eveything in chronological order.
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:27 am

I think I got the "most recent stories" thing figured out. Mine appears to be posting in chronological order.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:26 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I think I got the "most recent stories" thing figured out. Mine appears to be posting in chronological order.

Apparently it adapts over time - if you log in frequently, posts will eventually appear in chronological order. If you log in less often, it will do the 'top stories' thing.
Dorset Girl

Postby barnaclelapse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Mostly things to do with my ex.

I think I've got Facebook figured out though. That was pretty easy.

Heh.
barnaclelapse

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:26 pm

1. Manager sends me a message through Facebook (weird when we have work email addresses, but he almost always does that) asking if I can work in the last week of November.
2. I say yes, this will be fine, and then find train tickets, hotel, etc.
3. I log back into Facebook to find a message saying oops, he meant October.
4. I spend a further hour trying to work out the logistics, as Keren is going to Cardiff that week and I'm going away to see a friend in the opposite direction to Swansea. I find train tickets, hotels, etc. and check with my mother in law whether it will be all right to bring K up a day early.
5. I log into my work email and find another message saying that oops, no, he was right the first time - he meant November. Had he sent that one through FB too, I would have found it before wasting all that time.

I'd smack him for being so disorganised if he wasn't so pretty! :love4:
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Why I can't seem to just be happy for BF when something good happens to him.

He's won some sort of award for his uni course (I've literally this minute just found out, while he was on the phone to his mum, they sent a letter home to him) and I'm just overcome with jealousy and a bit of resentment. I've heard there's going to be some sort of ceremony for it (eavesdropping) and I just know it's going to involve all his family coming up here and gushing about how wonderful and amazing he is, the exact same happened with his exam results when he got no less than an A in anything, I had to listen to them gushing constantly whenever we went somewhere with his family. It just makes me feel a bit sort of...well, shit if I'm completely honest. My parents do praise me like his do, but unlike his family, once it's been said that's it, they don't bring it up again. Unlike his family who all of last time we were home after exams kept saying "Aw, he only got 4 As, not good enough!" in a happy, teasing, jokey way, over and over again.

I feel so bad writing this, because I know I should feel happy for him. It just seems a bit like an 'anything you can do I can do better' kind of thing at the moment, I know I did well with my exam results too, but he did so much better and part of me resented him for that, and I felt so ungrateful for it. I wouldn't feel as bad if he was really smug about it and kept rubbing it in, but he doesn't, he's always modest about them (except to mummy) so as not to upset me, which just makes me feel even more like a bad person.
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 pm

That's a difficult one, Amz, but it sounds to me that that's just the way his family is, and if you're going to be with him, you'll have to learn to accept it. I think you've posted about similar situations before. You're the psychology student and I'm just guessing, but it sounds almost as if you have some kind of 'sibling rivalry' feelings going on with him, even though he's not your sibling? :lol:

If he's modest about it and not rubbing it in your face, I reckon you just have to take a deep breath and be happy for him. :)
Dorset Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion