Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Snooker Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The Snooker Thread

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:48 pm

I don't expect this to be the most popular thread, but I just wanted somewhere dedicated to snooker posts other than the Yap or News threads.

Anyhow, thought I'd kick things off with this link to Hendry's superb 147 at the Welsh Open today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/9401477.stm

I was never the biggest Hendry fan but it's great to know the old dog's still got it, even if he ended up losing the match.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Re: The Snooker Thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Superb! Good for him. I used to be a pretty big Hendry fan, actually, but then John Higgins came along, and I forgot all about ol' Stevo! :D
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:40 pm

I think i read that was his tenth in major competition, to pull back level with Ronnie O'Sullivan for having the most.

O'Sullivan's had a run of first round exits this season. I think he's tumbling down the provisional rankings, which i suspect will hasten a retirement if he drops out of the top16.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:12 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I think i read that was his tenth in major competition, to pull back level with Ronnie O'Sullivan for having the most.

O'Sullivan's had a run of first round exits this season. I think he's tumbling down the provisional rankings, which i suspect will hasten a retirement if he drops out of the top16.

That's in serious danger of happening too. I thought Hearn's stewardship of the game would bring back Ronnie's enthusiasm with more competitions and more 'razzmatazz' in the game. Instead he seems more bored than ever. The game desperately needs a new, bright young English star to get the crowds excited again.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon May 02, 2011 6:44 am

Anyone else been watching this excellent World Championship? Judd Trump reminds me of watching Jimmy White as a boy 30 years ago and being absolutely amazed at some of the shots he was playing.

He stands a good chance of beating Higgins in this final now - if he goes on to win it he could change how the game is played.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue May 03, 2011 10:27 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Anyone else been watching this excellent World Championship? Judd Trump reminds me of watching Jimmy White as a boy 30 years ago and being absolutely amazed at some of the shots he was playing.

He stands a good chance of beating Higgins in this final now - if he goes on to win it he could change how the game is played.

I've hardly seen any of the World Championships this year. Good effort by Trump. Hopefully he won't emulate Jimmy's unfortunate record in the World Championships. You can't help thinking he'll be WC sooner rather than later.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue May 03, 2011 10:35 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Anyone else been watching this excellent World Championship? Judd Trump reminds me of watching Jimmy White as a boy 30 years ago and being absolutely amazed at some of the shots he was playing.

I've hardly seen any of the World Championships this year. Good effort by Trump. Hopefully he won't emulate Jimmy's unfortunate record in the World Championships. You can't help thinking he'll be WC sooner rather than later.

The parallels with Jimmy White are unmistakable - he even seems to be a 'gent of the game' which Jimmy certainly was too. I think the major difference is that JW had both Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry to contend with both at their peak ages. There are obviously some very decent Asian players emerging but I suspect the likes of O'Sullivan, Higgins and Williams won't remain at the top of the sport for much longer all being in their mid-late thirties.

His safety isn't the best but if he keeps potting balls out of nowhere as he has this last couple of weeks it will only be a matter of time before Judd Trump is sitting atop the snooker tree.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue May 03, 2011 11:16 am

He's certainly got a good chance.

Did you happen to catch the profile they did on that young Belgian kid? I can't remember his name. He's 15 now, and apparently won the under-19 tournament two years ago. Said he's knocked in 60 century breaks in competetive matches so far.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby barnaclelapse » Tue May 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Every time I see or hear the word Snooker I think of Bill Hicks. He had a whole thing about it when he did his famous series of shows in the U.K.

I know very, very little about it to be honest.
barnaclelapse

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue May 03, 2011 1:21 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:He's certainly got a good chance.

Did you happen to catch the profile they did on that young Belgian kid? I can't remember his name. He's 15 now, and apparently won the under-19 tournament two years ago. Said he's knocked in 60 century breaks in competetive matches so far.

Young Luca Brecel, yeah, he's just turned 16 I believe. I've seen a few of his breaks on YouTube - unbelievable talent.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Anyone been watching the Masters? THIS ERROR from ref Jan Verhaas was most unusual, I don't think I've seen anything like it in the professional game (I've seen it a few times down the club with my mates though :lol: )

Shame Judd Trump went out yesterday. Without doubt the most entertaining player on the circuit right now.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:32 pm

You see Stephen Hendry's 147 break in the World Championships, BS? I thought those days were past him!

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:You see Stephen Hendry's 147 break in the World Championships, BS? I thought those days were past him!

Ha, amazing! I watched most of the coverage on my PC yesterday but managed to miss that so I've just seen the clip of it the beeb put up. There's obviously no such thing as an 'average' 147 break but that was particularly special given how far down the rankings he's slipped and how no one expected anything like that from him again. The first 5 reds and blacks were incredible - he wasn't in position for any of them! Once he got that 6th red down he was as steady as a rock and it was like being transported back in time 20 years to the metronomic brilliance of yore.

As a player now he's actually reminding me a bit of Alex Higgins - capable of great things but erratic as hell. It'd be nice to see a good run from him this year.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Did you hear Mark Allen's remarks about the Chinese players being cheats?! Can't imagine that's going to go down too well.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Did you hear Mark Allen's remarks about the Chinese players being cheats?! Can't imagine that's going to go down too well.

Not heard that. Did he tweet it or interview?

It's going well for the game at the moment, with Mark Williams earlier calling the Crucible a shithole on twitter and praying for the tournament to move to China :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Not heard that. Did he tweet it or interview?

It's going well for the game at the moment, with Mark Williams earlier calling the Crucible a shithole on twitter and praying for the tournament to move to China :lol:

It was during the post-match interview. I think he tweeted something offensive about the Chinese (or China) a while back too, though?
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Yes, here we go - after the Haikou World Open:

Dead cat found this morning. Any wonder this place stinks. Must be dead cats all round the town. This place is horrendous. It just baffles me how world snooker continuously go out of their way to put tournaments on in the middle of nowhere. Journey a nightmare. People are ignorant. Place stinks. Arena's rubbish, tables poor, food is horrendous. Other than that I love China.
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:08 am

Allen and Williams are both spoilt brats. What I wouldn't give to be millionaire snooker player travelling the world for a living.

They'e not the only ones to bite the hand that feeds them either. Snooker players are getting themselves the same reputation as Premiership footballers sadly.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Absolutely, I can think of far, far worse jobs than that! Given that my highest break on a full-sized snooker table is twelve, though, I don't think I'll be going into that career myself. That, and the fact that women's snooker's pretty much ignored.

It's kind of weird looking back at matches from the 80s and even the 90s, and seeing how 'prim and proper' it all looked. It seems to be different now, somehow - more casual. Maybe I was too young to remember any controversy, but snooker seemed to be pretty much incident-free then?

Actually, though, I seem to remember something about O'Sullivan getting very drunk and causing lots of trouble on a couple of occasions :lol: - he was snooker's 'bad boy' for a time in the nineties, wasn't he?
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:26 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Absolutely, I can think of far, far worse jobs than that! Given that my highest break on a full-sized snooker table is twelve, though, I don't think I'll be going into that career myself. That, and the fact that women's snooker's pretty much ignored.

It's kind of weird looking back at matches from the 80s and even the 90s, and seeing how 'prim and proper' it all looked. It seems to be different now, somehow - more casual. Maybe I was too young to remember any controversy, but snooker seemed to be pretty much incident-free then?

Actually, though, I seem to remember something about O'Sullivan getting very drunk and causing lots of trouble on a couple of occasions :lol: - he was snooker's 'bad boy' for a time in the nineties, wasn't he?

Not sure the world of snooker was quite incident free in the 80s with the likes of Alex HIggins, Kirk Stephens, Silvino Francisco, Cliff Thorburn, Tony Knowles, etc. Not exactly the most angelic bunch to play the game :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 am

I was probably just too young to realise! Who was the guy who used to have a pint or two whilst he was playing?!
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I was probably just too young to realise! Who was the guy who used to have a pint or two whilst he was playing?!

That was Bill Werbeniuk - said he needed it for his nerves but I once read he drank 42 pints a day (Ha, just looked him up on Wiki and he's quoted there as saying it was 50 :lol: ). Alex Higgins always used to have a glass of vodka and orange at his side too whilst playing. Them were the days! :D

Didn't Kirk Stevens get done for his cocaine use as well M-C? Can't remember. They certainly weren't angels playing back them, but I can't remember any of them petulantly whinging and whining in the way Allen and Williams have done recently. Alex Higgins got the princely sum of £500 for winning the 1972 World Championship - Williams and Allen should consider themselves very lucky indeed.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Yes, Stephens was done for Coke. Him and Thorburn i believe? Francisco accused Stephens of being 'high as a kite' when he played him in one final during the 80s :lol: Fransicso, and his snooker playing cousin or nephew or whatever he was (Peter) got probed/done for match fixing and i think Silvino got done for drug smuggling.

None of them were whingers like some of the current guys, though. They all just got on with the game and the mayhem was outside of the snooker matches. :D

Wasn't it Jimmy White that broke into an undertakers and took his dead brother or brother in law out for one last night on the town before he was due to be buried? :lol: I'll have to go google it, but i'm sure he did that and got arrested trying to break back in to the undertakers to return him!

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Ahh, all this stuff that I was oblivious to when I was a sweet, innocent kid!! :D
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Here's an account of the undertaker incident in an interview with Jimmy from the Daily Mail website :D
We must explore at least one of the legendary stories of old. Like when his brother Martin died of cancer. Jimmy and his family apparently stole the corpse from the undertakers and took it on a pub crawl. It can't be true, can it?

'We were so sad. We'd been drinking in the pub the night before the funeral and the bill came to £4,600. It was a proper drink. We were all crying and so I told my sister we were going to get Martin.

'I kicked the door of the undertakers and the lock fell off. Just like that, it opened! I went in, there was no alarm. He was there, in his suit, so I phoned a driver and we took him out and carried on drinking. We felt we had to spend more time with him.

'We were crying, laughing, crying, laughing. It went on for about five hours. The driver going back realised my brother wasn't alive, so he refused to take us. We had to get a taxi. On the way, the next driver looked in the mirror and said: "He don't look too well".

'We put him back and then the police came. They sympathised with me, there was no damage done. We lost his hat somewhere, but no charges followed.'

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion