Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Dexter thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Dexter thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 pm

I agree with most of what BS and Cakey said except that I disagree about Lumen.
Spoiler: show
I don't think Lumen needs to or will die. In fact, I think Dexter's initial reaction to Emily's death (thinking it was Lumen) was a tell tale sign that Lumen won't die!

Can't believe I've actually warmed to Quinn this season.
I expected Quinn to be the one to kill Liddy. That Dexter did it is very interesting. And BS I thought the same thing about the laptop
. That just wasn't very Dexterish!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:19 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I agree with most of what BS and Cakey said except that I disagree about Lumen.
I don't think Lumen needs to or will die. In fact, I think Dexter's initial reaction to Emily's death (thinking it was Lumen) was a tell tale sign that Lumen won't die!

I'd like to think you're right actually as I really like her as a character but I think they'll want a blank slate for S6 and that means
Lumen will die. I'm not sure what you mean about Dexter's reaction to Emily's death by the way? :?

Can't believe I've actually warmed to Quinn this season.

Hehe, I know. I've always thought he was a decent character but now I'm actually starting to like him too!

I expected Quinn to be the one to kill Liddy. That Dexter did it is very interesting. And BS I thought the same thing about the laptop
. That just wasn't very Dexterish!

It wasn't was it. For shame. It may be possible they want to use that as a future plot point (or use it in the finale somehow) but when all said and done disposing of critical evidence in that way just isn't Dexter. Oh, and the Liddy thing, that has to go down on the growing list of people who
Dexter killed but who didn't fit 'the code'
I wouldn't say that's a bad thing though - I like seeing those shackles thrown off.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:26 pm

S5 E11 viewing figures are out incidentally. Disappointingly they were down about 300k meaning the all-time record for last season's finale still stands. It's still possible Sunday's episode will beat it but I think we can forget about Dexter breakingthe 3 million barrier this season. It's hard to say why the figures were down on last week too. It was aired opposite HBO's Boardwalk Empire finale but I doubt that had much bearing. I just think people are able to catch up on-demand these days so the initial viewing figure is becoming a little less significant now.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 pm

This is what I meant BS:

When Dexter saw that
somebody had been killed he automatically thought it was Lumen (before discovering Emily's body) and he said something like "Is this how all my relationships have to be?" or something of that nature. Him thinking that anyone he actually CARES about ends up being murdered. Lila (though she was nuts by the end and had to die he did care about her in the beginning), Rita and then Lumen. I just think that if they were to kill of Lumen it would be too simple and Dexter would be right about how all his girlfriends end up dead. I'd rather see Lumen take the rap for the vigilante killings and go to prison than have her end up being murdered. They ended last season with Rita's murder I just don't see how they can do the same with Lumen. Too easy.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:38 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:This is what I meant BS:

When Dexter saw that
somebody had been killed he automatically thought it was Lumen (before discovering Emily's body) and he said something like "Is this how all my relationships have to be?" or something of that nature. Him thinking that anyone he actually CARES about ends up being murdered. Lila (though she was nuts by the end and had to die he did care about her in the beginning), Rita and then Lumen. I just think that if they were to kill of Lumen it would be too simple and Dexter would be right about how all his girlfriends end up dead. I'd rather see Lumen take the rap for the vigilante killings and go to prison than have her end up being murdered. They ended last season with Rita's murder I just don't see how they can do the same with Lumen. Too easy.

Ah right I see, good spot. I agree it would be a little too neat for my liking too, but I can't see practically how Lumen will end up
taking the rap and going to prison as she'd be able to give up Dexter to get herself off the hook - I also can't imagine Dexter allowing her to go to prison by herself. I'd love to be proven wrong but if I had to bet I'd say Jordan will kill Lumen and Dex will kill Jordan

I would love to be completely surprised by the finale though so hopefully what I suggested won't happen. Too easy, as you say.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:54 pm

I see your point about Dexter not allowing Lumen to take the rap and I don't really think that will happen but it's something I'd rather happen than see Lumen die. I just can't see the writers copping out like that. I'm going to be really disappointed if that's how the season ends. I like Lumen and would like to see that character continue but mostly I'll be disappointed because I think it's a cheap and easy way out.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:32 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:I see your point about Dexter not allowing Lumen to take the rap and I don't really think that will happen but it's something I'd rather happen than see Lumen die. I just can't see the writers copping out like that. I'm going to be really disappointed if that's how the season ends. I like Lumen and would like to see that character continue but mostly I'll be disappointed because I think it's a cheap and easy way out.

Actually, you're beginning to convince me that won't happen now :D It would be a total cop out for the writers to wrap everything up so neatly and put a little (red, naturally) bow and ribbon around it. We're promised a 'shocking' end to the season, not a predictable one, so I hope that's what we get.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm wondering if something of Quinn's background will be revealed? There's obviously some story behind his weirdness.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:57 am

Dexter-The Big One

I'm going to wait until others have seen this before commenting. All I will say is that I was a bit disappointed.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:02 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Dexter-The Big One

I'm going to wait until others have seen this before commenting. All I will say is that I was a bit disappointed.

Nooooo!!!

And I've got another 24 hours before I'll be able to watch it...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:41 pm

I'll be very interested to hear what you think BS. I found it pretty anti-climatic and thought most of the last 20 minutes was pointless.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Dexter S5 - "The Big One" 6/10

Oh dear. The last 4 episodes were building up nicely and I was expecting something a bit bigger for the grand finale. I'd read an article on Digital Spy where one of the producers said that the episode wasn't going to be a 'game-changer' like Season 4's climax, so I wasn't expecting anything earth-shattering, but a few twists and turns would have been nice and would have made this episode feel far less anti-climatic and predictable. Everything played out in a way that you could see coming a mile away. i'm not surprised to see Lumen go, I wasn't surprised that Quinn was arrested over Liddy, I wasn't surprised that Dex got Quinn off and I wasn't surprised that Deb let Lumen's killers free. I did like the scene where she (sort of) caught them; I really wanted her to see Dexter, I think it's time she found out. I like the fact that she too has a bit of a dark secret now, and on the whole, I've really enjoyed Debs character this year.

Everything else though was dull. Far too many psuedo-meaningful inner-monologues about moving on and Chase's murder felt rushed and had none of the drama I was expecting.

Agree with Cat on the last 20 minutes too - syrupy, padded and all too neat and tidy for my liking. Season 5 has had its moments, but it's not in the same league as what we've seen in the past.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Just watched it now.

It pains me to say it, but I can't disagree with anything either of you has said to be honest, except that I didn't find the last 20 minutes 'pointless' as such, it just had a kind of 'epilogue' feel which you do usually get on Dexter, it just lasted 20 minutes instead of the usual 2 or 3 minutes so felt drawn out.

Hmph, feel a bit down after that. During the big scene with Jordan and the big scene with Deb I was praying for something unpredicatble and exciting to happen but it never came. In hindsight I think teh whole season was handicapped somewhat by what happened in season 4. I can understand them not wanting to repeat themselves but I really hope we go back to the formula that worked so well during seasons 1-4.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Just watched it now.

It pains me to say it, but I can't disagree with anything either of you has said to be honest, except that I didn't find the last 20 minutes 'pointless' as such, it just had a kind of 'epilogue' feel which you do usually get on Dexter, it just lasted 20 minutes instead of the usual 2 or 3 minutes so felt drawn out.

Hmph, feel a bit down after that. During the big scene with Jordan and the big scene with Deb I was praying for something unpredicatble and exciting to happen but it never came. In hindsight I think teh whole season was handicapped somewhat by what happened in season 4. I can understand them not wanting to repeat themselves but I really hope we go back to the formula that worked so well during seasons 1-4.

Agreed. It just felt so formulaic.

Season 4, last year, managed to avoid falling into the trap of 'Dexter-kills-bad-guy-then-gets-away-with-it' (which was wearing a bit thin after it happening in every season finale) because it threw out a game-changing shocking twist at the end that meant Dex's victory came at a price. The S5 finale was just the same season finale as Season 1, 2 and 3, just not pulled off as well. It needed to do something new and mess things up a bit, and I had actually expected it too as well.

That said, I'm still excited about S6. S5, whilst a bit ropey by Dexter's standards, has still been perfectly enjoyable TV and better than 95% of everything else that clutters up our screens.
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:14 am

I loved the scene in
Chase's kill room
. As far as I'm concerned, the episode should have ended right there.
Deb leaves the premises and fade out
. And even though I thought Dexter's
reaction to Lumen leaving
was good and very well acted by MCH I just felt it was a let down. And I hated the stuff at Harrison's birthday party.
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:25 am

Hall and Carpenter Split

Well, that marriage was short lived!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:31 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Hall and Carpenter Split

Well, that marriage was short lived!

Awww :( I felt sad earlier after that lacklustre finale and I feel even sadder now! Jennifer Carpenter gave some really moving interviews when MCH was battling cancer - they seemed to really love each other. It's gonna be tough filming together from now on I presume...

Thanks for the link there Cat - there were some other interesting Dexter related links there too which I devoured :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:10 am

The finale matched the ratngs of the S4 finale:

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Dexter-Se ... eason/8072

Can't really grumble too much at that - still very impressive numbers and suggests that people are still enjoying Dexter.
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:The finale matched the ratngs of the S4 finale:

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Dexter-Se ... eason/8072

Can't really grumble too much at that - still very impressive numbers and suggests that people are still enjoying Dexter.

Yeah, cheers for that link Cakey. The underlying figures suggest this was the most-watched season of Dexter ever with over 5 million tuning in when all the DVR figures etc. are added up too. I just think it's a shame they didn't fully capitalise on the momentum the show got from the S4 finale. Still highly enjoyable TV as you say, and the fact that the show is achieving more mass appeal despite the very contentious subject matter is a credit to the talent of all involved.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Just watched the final episode, and I have to say I liked it, from start to finish. The only slight letdown was the hurried nature of
Chase's murder
- other than that, I enjoyed it all. I suppose if I had to be picky, it seemed a bit pointless when
Dexter's family surprised him, as all it really did was hold him up for a few minutes.

Other than that - brill. The Quinn stuff was cool, and a bit unexpected right at the end there. The writers are also playing a game with
how excruciatingly close can Dexter come to being caught by Deb without it actually happening? I found that part really tense and exciting. After the end of S4, I suppose everyone was expecting another huge, dramatic finish - but in my personal opinion, the S5 finale didn't suffer by ending in a gentler, more positive way.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Just watched the final episode, and I have to say I liked it, from start to finish. The only slight letdown was the hurried nature of
Chase's murder
- other than that, I enjoyed it all. I suppose if I had to be picky, it seemed a bit pointless when
Dexter's family surprised him, as all it really did was hold him up for a few minutes.

Other than that - brill. The Quinn stuff was cool, and a bit unexpected right at the end there. The writers are also playing a game with
how excruciatingly close can Dexter come to being caught by Deb without it actually happening? I found that part really tense and exciting. After the end of S4, I suppose everyone was expecting another huge, dramatic finish - but in my personal opinion, the S5 finale didn't suffer by ending in a gentler, more positive way.

Ah well, I'm glad you had a more positive take on things. I think I read a quote from Julia Stiles sometime mid-season when she said she was 'shocked' by the finale so I think I was expecting something bigger. I thought at the very least Quinn
might find out especially as he had those photos from Liddy of Dex and Lumen chucking Cole's body off the boat. I was hoping after ep11 that Quinn would find out but Dexter had some leverage over him as he was implicated in Liddy's murder

I don't know - maybe I was expecting too much. I'm certainly looking forward to next season with a blank slate, something S5 never really had. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if Lumen popped up again at some point.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:47 pm

Maybe the fact that there are no pieces to pick up from S5 will mean that S6 will be strong from the start?
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Maybe the fact that there are no pieces to pick up from S5 will mean that S6 will be strong from the start?

That's what I'm hoping. I'm sure Deb will find out at some piont during S6 - I'm fairly sure if the show doesn't finish itself then she'll be written out in some way - especially since MCH and JC have split up.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I think this is good news;

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s64/de ... eries.html

I think so too! Rightly or wrongly I've blamed him for a lot of the things that haven't gone right this season. His successor Scott Buck has written some of my favourite episodes of Dexter so my hopes are high that next season will feel much more Dexter-ish.
Mr Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion