Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Dexter thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Dexter thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:20 am

Ok, just finished watching episode 7.

My biggest hope is that LaGuerta fucked up bad enough where she'll either get fired or transferred to a police department in fucking Alaska somewhere so I never had to deal with her ever again!

I do really like this relationship between Dexter and Lumen. They're like Bonnie and Clyde Serial Killers!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:12 am

Hmm, well that's both you and DG who've had fairly positive things to say about the ep. I'll have to watch it again. There were some moments of excitement (when Dexter and Lumen broke into the house) but it just felt a bit 'padded' to me again. Hopefully it'll seem better after a re-watch.

I don't think we'll be seeing the back of LaGuerta anytime soon. The frustrating thing is at the moment the show is top heavy with well-established characters who are simply not needed, and the writers could get a lot of emotional pull from killing a couple off. New Showrunner Chip Johannessen previously worked on 24 so should be well used to this plot device. If something happened to Batista, LaGuerta or both during this Santa Muerte investigation it would add some genuine excitement to the show instead of their sub-plots constantly ending up as examinations of married life in the Miami Metro PD.

They should hire me, I'd turn this whole mess around... :D
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:20 pm

:lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Way behind on my Dexter - not seen this weeks or last weeks yet.

Struggling to find the motivation, to be honest.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Way behind on my Dexter - not seen this weeks or last weeks yet.

Struggling to find the motivation, to be honest.

I felt like that, but last week's episode has piqued my interest again.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm still not all that excited about this season. But I am interested in this Lumen storyline so I have to keep watching.
CatNamedRudy

Postby kat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:32 pm

I really want to smack that self-help guy he winds me the hell up, but am definitley underwhelmed by this season overall
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:55 am

S5 E08 - Take It! - 9/10

That's more like it! I was seriously worried after last week's ep I have to say. It wasn't that bad it was just kind of 'meh' but after the excellent ep6 Everything is Illumenated I was expecting the season to really kick on from there. This week it finally happened. Dexter is always at its best when Dex is actually doing some killing. I'm sorry but that's kind of the point of the show. There's been so little this season that hasn't been entirely predicatble but this week's ep finally delivered on all levels. Even the Laguerta/Batista stuff is in danger of becoming interesting when she finally showed her true colours and reverted back to the Laguerta of the first two seasons who was a politicking bitch. The Quinn storyline came crashing together wonderfully well in the final scene between Dexter and Lumen as well. I'm genuinely excited about next week's ep now and to be honest that hasn't happened all season so far.

So my message to all disaffected Dexter viewers - come back! This season does get good eventually :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:50 am

Hmmm, I didn't think it was all that fantastic BS. I hated LaGuerta more this episode than I have ever before and that's saying a lot. I'm so fucking sick of this storyline I could puke. Take some fucking responsibility for your actions you bitch! When she shoved Deb under the bus for the nightclub incident I wanted to reach through my TV and smack the damn shit out of her! Lord, can she please get eaten by an alligator!

The Quinn storyline is getting good and I'm quite enjoying the connection between Lumen and Dexter. But all in all, I've been quite disappointed in this season and this episode was only slightly better than some of the others.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:40 am

Fair enough. There's no getting away from the fact that this has been a hugely disappointing season so far, but I do think this week's ep was the closest we've come to 'old' Dexter this year.

Personally I much prefer Laguerta to be a complete bitch because at least that's an interesting side to her character. All the domestic squabbles between her and Angel were boring me to tears.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:20 pm

I don't mind her being a bitch so much as I hated that she refused to take any responsibility for that incident at the nightclub. That whole thing happened because she got all high and mighty and didn't listen to Deb. Then she throws Deb under the bus? To me, that wasn't growing balls and returning to her former self. It was being a complete coward.

I can't wait until Dexter
Spoiler: show
kills Chase
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:44 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I don't mind her being a bitch so much as I hated that she refused to take any responsibility for that incident at the nightclub. That whole thing happened because she got all high and mighty and didn't listen to Deb. Then she throws Deb under the bus? To me, that wasn't growing balls and returning to her former self. It was being a complete coward.

Oh no, you misunderstand me! I'm not saying she's showing signs of going back to being a ballsy non-nonsense lietenant because I don't think she's ever been that. During the first and second sesons she was exactly the kind of politicking bitch she's reverted to here. They softened her character towards the end of the second season so the audience were supposed to 'care' about her. I've just found her character insanely boring from that moment. At least now she's the kind of character an audience can really turn their hatred on to! :D Remember when she slept with that new black lietenant's fiance just so she could step in and take her old job back? That's the Laguerta that actually holds some interest for me as a character.

I can't wait until Dexter
kills Chase

Yeah, I'm hoping that's not what the show's building up to though - I'd like to think there'll be a few more twists and turns before the end of the season and I hope that spoilered portion you mentioned happens fairly soon - next week would be good.

From snippets I've read online I also think it's possible
Deb will find out about Dexter
this season. It'll really ramp things up a notch if that happens.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:13 pm

I agree about Chase. I don't want that to go on for very long. I'd like to see it happen quickly too.

I've heard that spoiler
about Deb finding out too
I'm trying to figure out how Dexter will explain away the photos of him and Lumen tossing the trash bags on the boat.
I'm starting to think Quinn's interest in catching him is waning only because he's falling for Deb and he doesn't want to screw that up. I still think there's something not right about Quinn but he was a little more likeable this past episode.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:26 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I agree about Chase. I don't want that to go on for very long. I'd like to see it happen quickly too.

I've heard that spoiler
about Deb finding out too
I'm trying to figure out how Dexter will explain away the photos of him and Lumen tossing the trash bags on the boat.
I'm starting to think Quinn's interest in catching him is waning only because he's falling for Deb and he doesn't want to screw that up. I still think there's something not right about Quinn but he was a little more likeable this past episode.

That second spoiler is the most exciting development this season for me. Apart from the killing, what makes Dexter so exciting and taboo is that the viewer roots for him and wants him to get away with it. For that to work you have to have him almost get caught quite a lot, and wonder how the hell he's going to get himself out of certain situations. The most exciting part of Everything is Illumenated for me was the bit where he was chasing the guy who'd escaped from his SUV and Batista, Deb, Masuoka etc. were right around the corner. That's why I liked the last episode so much - a lot of aspects that make the show so exciting were included.

I don't know what will happen to Quinn in the end but it looks like my early theory of him finding out and Dexter having to kill him won't pan out - he's too damn likeable at the moment as you say! I could see that sleazy P.I. cop on Dex's table though :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:22 am

Ooh, ooh, ooh! Just seen it. I agree, it was a goodun! Some genuinely tense moments - I actually found myself covering my eyes and peeking through my fingers when
Cole saw Lumen in the lobby and followed her back to her room. :lol:

I've never liked LaGuerta, and what she did to Deb was awful, but I found Batista likeable this episode, for the first time all season. Looking forward to episode 9 now. :)
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:01 am

Dorset Girl wrote:Ooh, ooh, ooh! Just seen it. I agree, it was a goodun! Some genuinely tense moments - I actually found myself covering my eyes and peeking through my fingers when
Cole saw Lumen in the lobby and followed her back to her room. :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it :) That bit you spoilered was very tense wasn't it - some real tension has definitely been lacking this season.

I've never liked LaGuerta, and what she did to Deb was awful, but I found Batista likeable this episode, for the first time all season. Looking forward to episode 9 now. :)

Yeah me too - I've seen a couple of preview clips online already. Should be another goodie! :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:19 pm

S5 ep9 - "Teenage Wasteland"

This season continues to get stronger, it's just a shame that it took so long to do it! Some nice twists and turns in this one, it's looking interesting for next time.

It'll be interesting to find out what story Dexter concocts about Lumen - enough people know about her now for it to become a problem for him soon. Also, I'm assuming it was a coincidence that the boy in the shop looked really like her?!

Masuka and the 'vice' comment - ugh!
La Guerta - bitch.
Batista - becoming more likeable again.
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:55 am

Just finished up with Teenage Wasteland

Really enjoyed this one. I can't stand that little bitch Astor but she turned out halfway decent in this episode. I was really wishing Dexter was going to kill that other girl's father or stepfather or whatever he was. That would have been awesome!

I think
Jordan Chase is going to hang around until the end of the season. I'd rather Dex kill him now but I think this is going to go on a while.

I'm beginning to think the spoilers
about Deb finding out about Dexter are true. Quinn called off his dog but Deb is suspicious now.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

I agree with both of you I thought that was a strong episode. I too wished Dex had pulled a needle on that bloke at the end but he was still 'menacing' enough and menacing Dexter is fun! :D

I think you could be right about this Cat...

CatNamedRudy wrote:I'm beginning to think the spoilers
about Deb finding out about Dexter are true. Quinn called off his dog but Deb is suspicious now.

The producers are promising another 'shocking' end to the season and we know from last year they don't say those things just for hype. I think the only two possibilities that could top last season's finale are
1) Deb or another major cast member finding out about Dexter - Deb would be the obvious choice and have the most emotional impact or 2) Dexter gets killed

Normally I wouldn't even entertain option 2 but I'm seriously worried that the show hasn't been renewed yet... :?
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm

I loved how when Dexter was pummeling that guy he was describing each hit!

I hope that second thing doesn't happen BS. That would suck!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:39 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I loved how when Dexter was pummeling that guy he was describing each hit!

Yeah, that was old-style Dexter thrilling! :D

I hope that second thing doesn't happen BS. That would suck!

It would suck on two levels. Firstly I obviously don't want the show to end just yet but secondly I really don't want the show to go out on what would have to be described as its weakest season. Things have really picked up since ep6 but even if the last three eps are stone cold classics I'd still have to put the first 4 seasons ahead of S5, just for consistency if nothing else.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby kat » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I agree with both of you I thought that was a strong episode. I too wished Dex had pulled a needle on that bloke at the end but he was still 'menacing' enough and menacing Dexter is fun! :D

I think you could be right about this Cat...

CatNamedRudy wrote:I'm beginning to think the spoilers

The producers are promising another 'shocking' end to the season and we know from last year they don't say those things just for hype. I think the only two possibilities that could top last season's finale are
1) Deb or another major cast member finding out about Dexter - Deb would be the obvious choice and have the most emotional impact or 2) Dexter gets killed

Normally I wouldn't even entertain option 2 but I'm seriously worried that the show hasn't been renewed yet... :?

this is slightly out there
but could it have been renewed but they want to ramp up the tension with Dexter being cornered by Jordan Chase and seemingly left in an unescapable situation
kat

Postby cassius » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Gonna have a look for this show on Youtube, it's new to me.
cassius

Postby kat » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:17 pm

cassius wrote:Gonna have a look for this show on Youtube, it's new to me.

it's worth it, can be a little gory (understatement of the year) but really enjoyable nontheless
kat

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:02 pm

kat wrote:this is slightly out there
but could it have been renewed but they want to ramp up the tension with Dexter being cornered by Jordan Chase and seemingly left in an unescapable situation

Ooh, that's an interesting idea! Have they actually announced that it hasn't been renewed, or has nothing been said either way?
Dorset Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion