Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What makes Frasier so different from other sitcoms?

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Choose your option:

The characters
14%
Way of acting / actors
18%
It's more profound / intelligent
45%
The good storyline
5%
Other (describe in your post)
18%

Total votes : 22

What makes Frasier so different from other sitcoms?

Postby Daphne K » Mon May 11, 2009 5:47 pm

In my opinion there's no sitcom you can compare to Frasier. Do you feel the same and why is it so special to us?
Personally I almost feel as if they are family. Maybe it sounds sick but it's true... whenever I feel bad it always cheers me up.
You can fool them, but you can't fool me!
Daphne K

Re: What makes Frasier so different from other sitcoms?

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon May 11, 2009 5:54 pm

It's a combination of things. Great writing, good storylines (most of the time), humor that can be high brow yet can also be sarcastic, slapsticky and downright ridiculous and characters that have a good range.

I think one of the things that makes it work the best though is that it's got an ensemble cast that truly likes one another. It's one of the same things that made Friends work. (I know there are those of you that hate Friends but just humor me for a minute!). Frasier's cast never changed from the very first episode. The main cast was there from beginning to end and you never heard of any in fighting or petty jealousy amongst them. Yes, Kelsey wanted a bit more control over the show duirng S8 and that didn't work out so well but it eventually fell back into place.

Those guys all really got along and I think that makes a big difference in ensemble shows.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Karin » Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 pm

I also don't think it's just one aspect, but rather a combination of several things.

I think what makes Frasier so special is that everything comes together, the characters, the writing and above all - and I agree with Cat on this one - the cast and their chemistry and obvious love for each other. I guess that's one of the reasons they almost feel like family. You can tell they really care for each other and that again makes us care so much for the characters they portray. I also think the characters are all really believable, with all their quirks and weaknesses and I like how they developed over 11 years.
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby Daphne K » Mon May 11, 2009 6:38 pm

I second every word you say! :thumbright:
Daphne K

Postby csvernon » Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi, Im new and had to butt in with a vote for 'other', due to what was said above.
I would say it was different due to 'all of the above' plus I would add the atmosphere. I think the atmosphere was different from other sitcoms, especially American ones. Whenever I would watch Frasier I would feel it is just different from any other comedy on TV, both back then and now. Some British sitcoms had that feel but not all.
I think some people would unfortunately describe this atmosphere as a bit serious, or 'old', or 'talky' but I started watching Frasier when I was about 16 and I myself loved that it was different. Also, I remember taping it on TV to watch later and it never really seemed to fit in with the string of sitcoms that came before it and after it, so I am glad it even lasted so long on TV because of the way TV usually works.
csvernon

Postby Karin » Mon May 11, 2009 9:58 pm

Welcome to the forum, csvernon :)

And I totally get what you mean. Even though I'm not familiar with that many other (American) sitcoms, I'd agree that Frasier has a special atmosphere or feel to it.
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby Lil » Tue May 12, 2009 1:54 am

Although I agree that there are many aspects as to why this show is unique, I did vote for the actors.

Not only is their chemistry wonderful, but their comedic timing is impeccable. They can deliver lines like no other. Name an actor and he wouldn't be able to deliver a line the way that Grammer, Pierce, Mahoney, or Leeves could. No one could utter the simple line 'GET OUT!' with comedic force and energy the way that Grammer could.

That leads me to give an honorable mention to the writers. They are the ones who gave the actors their fantastic lines. From the first episode, you know that you're about to go on a journey full of laughs and tears, but most of all, as Pierce simply stated in Travels With Martin.... fun.
Lil

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue May 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Karin wrote:Welcome to the forum, csvernon :)

And I totally get what you mean. Even though I'm not familiar with that many other (American) sitcoms, I'd agree that Frasier has a special atmosphere or feel to it.

That's true, and I think it's down to a few different things. Frasier just felt classier somehow, and I think that was due to the following...

a) Lack of incidental music (i.e. like that horrible 'slap bass' between scenes in Seinfeld)
b) No exterior building shots - there was no need to show the outside of Cafe Nervosa, Frasier's apartment or KACL to know where the scene was set.
c) Title cards to many scenes - I can't remember this being done on a TV show before Frasier, I think the idea was borrowed from a couple of movies. Each scene felt like a chapter in a book, and just gave the show that added touch of class.
d) The silent tag scenes. Certainly not an original idea but it was a concept that worked very well for the show. Having a talented ensemble cast able to pull off a bit of slightly exaggerated silent comedy helped a great deal.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Daphne K » Tue May 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Karin wrote:Welcome to the forum, csvernon :)

That's true, and I think it's down to a few different things. Frasier just felt classier somehow, and I think that was due to the following...

a) Lack of incidental music (i.e. like that horrible 'slap bass' between scenes in Seinfeld)
b) No exterior building shots - there was no need to show the outside of Cafe Nervosa, Frasier's apartment or KACL to know where the scene was set.
c) Title cards to many scenes - I can't remember this being done on a TV show before Frasier, I think the idea was borrowed from a couple of movies. Each scene felt like a chapter in a book, and just gave the show that added touch of class.
d) The silent tag scenes. Certainly not an original idea but it was a concept that worked very well for the show. Having a talented ensemble cast able to pull off a bit of slightly exaggerated silent comedy helped a great deal.

Do you mean for example Niles in Three Valentines? :D
Daphne K

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Not quite. Three Valentines Niles, though hysterically funny, wasn't a tag scene.

The "silent" tag scenes are those scenes at the end of the show like the boys with their ice cream cones at the end of Secret Admirer or Niles' dance scene at the end of Taps at the Montana.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Daphne K » Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Ah ok! Blame it on my poor English. :D
I like those scenes too!
Daphne K

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu May 14, 2009 6:12 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Not quite. Three Valentines Niles, though hysterically funny, wasn't a tag scene.

The "silent" tag scenes are those scenes at the end of the show like the boys with their ice cream cones at the end of Secret Admirer or Niles' dance scene at the end of Taps at the Montana.

Oh, two of my favourites there! :D

But yeah, funny you should mention Three Valentines Daphne, as that seems to be the episode non-fans remember the most. Probably because it was a) So unusual to find in a modern sitcom and b) Hilariously funny.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby barnaclelapse » Fri May 15, 2009 1:30 pm

I voted way of writing/actors.

I can't really see the point of having a good basic concept and good characters without some strong writing to keep it afloat.
barnaclelapse

Postby domi_dot_com » Sun May 17, 2009 10:53 am

oh its most of those reasons! the fact that its intelligent really makes it stand out tho. and niles... hes so good... and daphne :mrgreen:
5HRINK
domi_dot_com

Postby JT » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:52 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Not quite. Three Valentines Niles, though hysterically funny, wasn't a tag scene.

Sort of like Cheers' opening scene. I liked that about Cheers as well, except it wasn't silent. What do you call those?
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:14 am

JT wrote:

Sort of like Cheers' opening scene. I liked that about Cheers as well, except it wasn't silent. What do you call those?

Yeah, I like those too. I think they're just called opening scenes. I'm not sure many shows do those anymore.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:45 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
JT wrote:

Yeah, I like those too. I think they're just called opening scenes. I'm not sure many shows do those anymore.

30 Rock still has them.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CafeNervosa93 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:45 pm

I voted with 'Characters' but, there's still more to it. I probably should have voted for 'other'.
There's just something very different about Frasier. The storyline, the characters, everything. The writers just know the pure meaning of comedy, and drama. They can make the characters say the funniest things, in the worst of situations. They can even make the viewer feel what the characters are feeling, and put the viewer in the show, in a figurative sense.

Also, as mentioned before is the atmosphere. The, reasons, for the characters acting the way they do, their motives, their homes, their lives. For example, 'Frasier' is slightly grouchy, if not very, as he is an intellectual who was picked on during high school, he has been left at the alter, and left by Lilith, to where he is now, living with his father and doing a radio psychiatry show. The writers describe the characters so well.

Another thing that I think makes Frasier such a hit is it's wide variety, and vast diversity, in it's characters, plot outlines, atmosphere, you name it, the differences are huge. However, they all share two things in common, comedy and drama.
Do you know that in Soccer, when a player kicks at the ball, misses and falls down, it's now called a Frasier. - Frasier Crane
CafeNervosa93

Postby tubalcain » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:52 pm

I voted other,too.
All other contributors are correct in what they say,all I feel necessary to add is that it was coming along on the back of some great shows and with the likes of Christopher Lloyd and the casts ability to work with these scripts it upped the level of expectancy of the writing and the public adored it for what it could do with them. 8-) 8-)
tubalcain

Postby ck_psy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:15 pm

all of those reasons!!!.

It's so intelligent and witty..

the actors are amazing
the characters are brilliant.
the writing is excellent

it's a shame it's all over :cry:
Set your phasers on stunning!
ck_psy

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes