Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Who loves the Doctor?

Postby Jocelyn » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 pm

Let's start up a petition, Kelsey Grammer for Doctor Who!

I can just picture him wearing a scarf.

Also, he could have a little robot sidekick which resembles a Jack Russell Terrier[:];-)[/:]

Post Edited (04-01-05 19:26)
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:32 pm

Moose as K9!! I like that idea. Yes, KG and TB have wonderful big, booming voices, I could listen to them all day too. Has anyone else seen Tom Baker's cameo in Blackadder as the old seadog? It's absolutely hilarious!

"Arrrgh arrrgh arrrgh arrrgh arrrgh....me laddy!!" [:]:-))[/:]
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:19 am

"You have a woman's hand, my Lord!"

Possibly my favourite episode of Blackadder, that!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Ali 75 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:13 am

Funny you should suggest Kelsey B.A. On the google boards a while ago someone mentioned DHP, but some idiot said he was a bad actor and shouldn't be considered[:]}:-([/:]. First time I've ever heard him get stick like that. Kelsey would be excellent though I agree.
Ali 75

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:05 pm

DHP a bad actor? What were that person's favourite programmes, I wonder? Will & Grace and The Simple Life?
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:12 pm

I *loved* tonight's episode. Started off a bit slowly but after a few minutes it really kicked in and it was superb all the way through. And I've never been that close to crying in a Doctor Who episode before, Russell really knows how to connect with his audience. Genuinely funny sections too! Soft Cell and Britney!

And I like the whole 'Gallifrey blown up' stuff. It's more romantic that he's the last of his race, especially the way the Doctor talked about it, how lonely he was, and Rose realising just how much he needs her. *sniff*
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:25 pm

I'm really P'd off that I've been at work for the first 2 eps of the Doc. Does anyone know if they're repeated at all? If not I'll just have to wait for the DVD release...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:47 pm

They're repeated on BBC3 on Sunday nights at 7pm, Beer. If you can't watch that, the first three episodes are out on DVD on May 16th!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:41 am

Thanks V much for that info BA. I spent ages looking through the schedules last Sunday morning but obviously missed they were on BBC3. Great news about the DVD being out so soon, I'll pre-order that now.

Thanks again! [:]DRINK[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Ali 75 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:20 am

I missed it too, taped DHP's Montreal performance on Paramount even though I already have it somewhere. I don't like it enough to buy the DVD but will try to catch the repeat.
Ali 75

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:22 pm

DHP's Montreal performance was on last night? OMG, i missed it! argh!
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:25 pm

Beer, the DVDs are available for pre-order for only £11.99 each, which is pretty good. They're 'vanilla' releases though for the time being - a lavish extras-packed box-set is out in November. Depends how much you're bothered about extras!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:19 pm

Have just watched the second episode having taped it last night and it was every bit as enjoyable as the first one! The designs and make-up for the alien species were beautiful to behold although it is a pity they killed off Cassandra (the Joan Collins of the future) - what a wonderful creation! Only one criticism is the fact that the episodes are self-contained which tends to mean they have to cram everything in. Wonder who the Time Lords war was with and if we will learn much more about this as the series progresses Hope so!!
Mappeal

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:55 pm

Next week's episode looks brilliant. I just read a preview which said it's the first in the series to send the kids behind the sofa, but then considering it's penned by one of The League Of Gentlemen it couldn't be anything other than absolutely terrifying![:]:-))[/:]

Wasn't quite so keen on last night's. Perhaps you had to be a diehard fan to enjoy it more but to me it looked too much like the Doctor and Rose had found themselves wandering around a Star Trek convention. I half expected Noel Shempsky to pop up saying "Live long and prosper"[:];-)[/:] Having Britney Spears' hideous "singing" voice on the soundtrack was a major annoyance too. Christopher Eccleston was wonderful though, constantly flashing that beaming Tom Baker-esque grin. I'll miss him when he hands in his sonic screwdriver.
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:36 pm

The whole 'futuristic convention' thing was brilliant, I thought, especially Rose's reaction to it. And I'm no fan of Britney but that joke worked really well - "Here's a classical ballad!". There's something surreal about the world ending to the strains of Britney Spears.

Mappeal, I have my theories about the War - but I'd better not share them in case it classes as a huge spoiler!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:55 pm

Loved the use of Britney and it may have been a bit of an in-joke to use her with Billie Piper having recorded a psuedo Britney song in her former career! B.A. I would love to hear your theory about the war even if it turns out to be true! Do tell!
Mappeal

Postby Kris » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:26 pm

After watching last night's Parkinson, I think Stephen Fry would make a good Doctor.
Kris

Postby Mappeal » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:40 pm

Anyone know how well (or otherwise) the good Doctor did in the ratings this weekend? It will be interesting to see if the audience held up from the premiere now that the press and media furore about the show has died down!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:20 am

Mappeal, here's the ratings:

Doctor Who: 7.3 million (36% share)
Ant & Dec: 6.0 million (30% share)

So down on last week, which was to be expected, but still big numbers - especially that share - when any drama breaks through the 30% barrier it's a big deal! It's also worth noting that the weather was so warm yesterday, and the sun was still out at 7pm - so many people would have still been out. However, when the official rating comes out in about ten days it'll take the video recordings into account.

Mappeal, here's my theory on the War... with SPOILER space for anyone who doesn't want to know (not that it's right - and I'll look a chimp if it isn't!)...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

I think the Time Lords got into a huge War with the Daleks, and they destroyed Gallifrey - which is why the Doctor is so scared when he meets a Dalek in episode 6. Also, we now know that the Daleks are in episodes 12 and 13, the final part of which may be the regeneration episode. This is a sure fire way of making the Daleks genuinely scary again rather than just a bit silly. Chris Eccleston also hinted on Jonathan Ross' show that the only monster in this series that really poses a threat to the Doctor are the Daleks, so that should be interesting!

Post Edited (04-04-05 00:21)
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:32 am

That's who I had thought of the minute the Doctor told Rose that his planet had been destroyed B.A. which would make the Daleks the REAL bad boys of the universe again! About time too! And I'm one of those video recordings that the Beeb need to take into account when they count the ratings up!
Mappeal

Postby Ali 75 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:08 am

Lots of people taped it, so the final figure should be quite a bit higher[:]:-)[/:]
Ali 75

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:24 am

Yeah - apparently the recordings for episode one could take it as high as 11 million (from the overnight of 9.9m) so it'll interesting to see!

And yes Mappeal - I'd be happy if that's the way the story panned out!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:22 pm

The BBC has admitted that it made up a load of quotes from Eccleston in its recent press release, and the whole 'quit because he feared being typecast and found the filming too gruelling' thing was actually untrue. They've also said that in fact they'd known for months that he was only doing one series. Curiouser and curiouser!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:05 pm

Very strange indeed! Wonder what Eccleston thinks about the made-up quotes now that certain quarters of the press have rounded on him for quitting the role? He can't be pleased with the press office of the Beeb for doing that to him! Granted it has been heaven sent publicity for the show but it makes the BBC look totally foolish and arrogant and, stretching the point a little,how can the Beeb sneer at the spin doctoring of our politicians when they are doing the exact same thing?
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:30 pm

I think that's why the BBC has been so quick to apologise and made itself look rather daft - otherwise Eccleston might well have grounds to sue. It can't have been pleasant for him to be the centre of all the stories, and made out to be the bad guy, when in fact the BBC had agreed to keep the story quiet.
Bad Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion