Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Who loves the Doctor?

Postby Jocelyn » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:06 pm

Apparently, Christopher Eccleston has still not commited to playing the Doctor in the next series.

Oh well, maybe Matt Le Blanc will do it[:]:-)[/:]

(See what I did there, BA? I just unveiled your worst nightmare![:]:-O[/:]).
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Mappeal » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:37 pm

Eccleston is not the only one unconfirmed for the next series! Billie Piper may not return either. If they have to regenerate the Doctor again it means they only have two more incarnations left after that! Would be a real shame if both of the stars were to bow out so quickly but I won't be surprised if it happens. The success of the show could lead to bigger things for both of them and I really wouldn't discount the chances of Billie Piper heading for the States!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:15 pm

Hah, Matt Le Blanc as the Doctor? Only in some sort of twisted, god-awful universe!

Also, just because the 10th Doctor might be along quicker than we thought it doesn't mean they'll only have two left. For a start the Doctor has 13 lives (I'm so pedantic!), and also, they could easily just ignore that rule - they're not going to just say 'oh well, it's still a hit but we've used all his lives, let's finish it!'. Let him live and live, that's what I say!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:21 pm

What if they decide to do each series with a different Doctor? How would you feel about that B.A? Would definitely keep the show interesting to watch !
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:10 pm

Ideally they wouldn't, because it's nice to have a Doc for a few years. But if that's the best way to attract the best actors, then yeah! However, not all actors are as reluctant as Eccleston to stick with things for a long time!

Having said all that, of course, chances are he'll be back for the second series!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:46 am

Forget I said that - he's quit! He's doing the Christmas Special and then he's finished with it! Blimey.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Sideshow Meg » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:19 am

he quit? Talk about riding it out! Why did he quit?
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:20 pm

Apparently he was afraid of being typecast and he found it all too gruelling. I'm disappointed, but it's his choice, and better he leave now than do another series without his heart.

He's in the Christmas Special though, when presumably we'll see a regeneration...
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:18 pm

Shame he's not doing another series but at least he lasted longer than Paul McGann!

That actor from 'Casanova' (whose name escapes me) seems to be the most hotly tipped to take over.
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:23 pm

Yeah, David Tennant. I'd be more than happy with him - he's a fantastic actor.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:43 pm

Agreed B.A. Tennant is a good actor but like Eccleston he doesn't stay put in one place for very long so I would be surprised if he did more than one series too! At least Billie Piper is returning but I'll make a prediction here and say that she won't do a full second series! All this drama behind the scenes is great publicity for the show! Front page of The Sun for Eccleston's resignation - who'd have thought it?
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:17 pm

I'm not sure if David Tennant is known for not hanging around - all the stuff he's done has been one-off series, he's never done a continuing drama before. And I think the Beeb will be keen to make sure that the next Doctor is committed to at least two years before signing him up. You never know, though!

It's great that Billie is returning, she's been the real surprise of this series (even judging by one episode so far!). Even if she doesn't stay for the full second series it's important that she's back to provide some continuity for the viewers when the Doctor regenerates!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:30 pm

How strange that we're discussing a new Doctor already when the series hasn't even got up and running! If Tennant turns it down who else would anyone like to see in the role? Personally I'd be intrigued by the casting of Anthony Head! Think he is quite underrated and would make a stylish Doctor!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:39 pm

The possibilities are endless, simply because the Doctor's character can be anything - so in theory practically any actor can land the part! It's all very exciting, though! The next few months are gonna be a rollercoaster - 12 new episodes plus all the hoo-hah of a new Doctor being cast!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:44 pm

Just read about a couple of other contenders for the role. Bill Nighy and Eddie Izzard! Izzard would be wonderful! He is definitely on another planet to begin with! Like you say B.A. it's all very exciting!!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:48 pm

Yep - it really could be anyone. The way the BBC keeps mentioning David Tennant is odd - they never normally mention people they're only 'in talks' with unless a) they've sealed the deal or b) it's a red herring!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:59 pm

What about having the Doctor regenerate as a woman? Now that would be something else!
Mappeal

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:01 pm

I would like to see Richard E Grant in the role. He did a radio series last year, I thought he'd be a shoe-in for the TV gig.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:10 pm

I wouldn't like Richard E Grant. I've only ever really liked him in one thing (Withnail and I), and I don't think he'd make a good, modern Doctor. I think it's the way everyone always mentions him is what puts me off - I don't like the obvious route, that's why Eccleston was so inspired!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:12 pm

I'd be waiting for Richard E Grant to shout WE DEMAND DRINK! as in Withnail and I! As long as the Beeb don't go for one of those ex soap stars that they seem so fond of casting in most other shows we should be ok! By the way, is anyone else wondering why there has been absolutely no mention of the Master in relation to this new series? Are they about to spring a BIG surprise on us somewhere along the way or are they simply going to leave him out?
Mappeal

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:14 pm

I just love Richard E Grant's voice. He could read the phone book and I'd be entertained. I agree, Withnail and I was pure genius, and I'm sure that will be the role he's remembered for rather than the good Doctor. Even his autobiography was called "With Nails"...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sideshow Meg » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:03 am

I love his voice as well. Sends a nice little shiver down my spine, an honour only reserved for a few certain people
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:42 pm

I don't even like his voice really - if we're talking voices then Tom Baker or Kelsey Grammer win out for me. Hey, maybe Kels could be the new Doctor! [:]:-)[/:]
Bad Ambassador

Postby Sideshow Meg » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:50 pm

Oh how cool would that be! I can see it now, good thinking BA
Sideshow Meg

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:15 pm

It's strange, I can actually imagine Kels as the Doctor, hanging around the TARDIS...
Bad Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion