Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Doctor Who Merged Thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:07 pm

This is a thread dedicated to the return of Doctor Who after a sixteen year absence.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Who loves the Doctor?

Postby Jocelyn » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:26 pm

Unless anybody's been living on one of the many planets the character likes to visit, the TV event of the week is the return after 16 years of Doctor Who. The first episode has received universally ecstatic reviews and looks set to inject some much-needed excitement into the usual Saturday evening line-up of tacky lottery shows and tired, formulaic hospital dramas. The calibre of the writers should ensure this new series is must-see viewing (I'm particularly looking forward to the episode written by The League's Mark Gatiss).

Now I wouldn't call myself an expert or a diehard fan but I have loads of great memories of watching the show as a kid. The first series I can remember seeing was the last one Tom Baker did, around 1981 I think. I just remember seeing a story called 'Full Circle' and being really terrified when at the end of an episode these monsters emerged from a swamp (although I bet it looks laughable now![:]:-))[/:]). I also had a few bits of merchandise including a little toy Dalek which if you pressed a button would say things like "Exterminate!" and "Attack! Attack!" as well as a similar toy version of K-9 (a sort of robot equivalent of Eddie[:]:-)[/:]). I also used to see Jon Pertwee quite often as he lived nearby, although I tended to think of him more as Worzel Gummidge!

Would be great to hear everyone's thoughts on the show, any memories you have of watching it as a youngster and who your favourite Doctor is (T. Baker for me). Don't feel you have to pretend to be too young to remember![:];-)[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Re: Who loves the Doctor?

Postby Bad Ambassador » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:11 pm

I'll talk about Doctor Who for months if you get me started! Yes, I love it, and I can't wait until Saturday. It's about bloody time! Christopher Eccleston is a brilliant actor, and Russell T Davies is probably one of the top two drama writers in the country (along with Paul Abbott). Who'd have thought they'd be teaming up for Doctor Who?

The Marshmen from 'Full Circle' actually stand up quite well even now, although they wouldn't scare today's kids. But they look mderately impressive!

Other things to look foward to: guest appearances from Simon Callow, Richard Wilson, Simon Pegg, Tamsin Grieg. The return of the Daleks... and frankly just 13 weeks of top-written TV, which'll make a refreshing change for Saturday nights as you say, Jocelyn!

Welcome back, Doctor!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:33 pm

With my increasingly poor memory I'm quite impressed I remembered that 'Full Circle' episode correctly, especially as I haven't seen it in 24 years! Have you not got a favourite Doctor, BA? I'm determined to find someone whose favourite was Paul McGann (the George Lazenby of the series[:]:-}[/:])!

Post Edited (03-23-05 18:43)
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

Jocelyn

Postby Mappeal » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:32 pm

Sorry Jocelyn but I can't let your crack about George Lazenby go by without reply! Have to say he is by far the most underated Bond of all ( I know he wasn't much of an actor but he fitted the role well ) My fave Doctor btw is Tom Baker but I am really looking forward to Christopher Ecclestons interpretation and the new series as a whole - surely it can't be any worse than the final few series of the original run!
Mappeal

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:52 am

Good thread Jocelyn! I was going to start something up on similar lines when I got back on shift today but you beat me to it.

Fave Doctor - Got to be Tom Baker. He's absolutely bonkers, which I think helps for this part. He was also brilliant as the mad old seadog in Blackadder [:]:-))[/:].

Fave episode - I remember "Genesis of the Daleks" being really good, noticeable for Michael Wisher's unbeatable debut as "Davros". I think that voice would still terrify kids today.

Worst Doc - I quite like Paul McGann as an actor (I love "Withnail and I"), so I can't choose him Jocelyn. I'd have to go for Sylvester McCoy just because I thought the series became really lame at this point. I remember in particular a monster who looked like Bertie Bassett. At the time I can remember thinking "this show's lost it's edge..." [:]:-))[/:].

I'm sure Christopher Eccleston will entertain us all come Saturday [:]DRINK[/:]
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:48 pm

Jocelyn, I'm one of those people who finds it difficult to choose their favourite Doctor. I've got pretty much every episode on tape (apart from the ones the BBC destroyed in the 70s, obviously...), so I have different Docs for different moods. But generally you can't go wrong with Troughton, Tom Baker or Peter Davison, I find. And from what little I've already seen, Eccleston looks stunning!

My least favourite is Colin Baker, although that's less to do with him and more the fact that the series was incredibly joyless and naff during his time. It tried to become far too serious, and part of the fun of Who was always in the humour and the wit. His relationship with his companion (who he tried to strangle...) didn't help much either.

Only two days to go. Ooh.

Try this site by the way <http://www.whoisdoctorwho.co.uk> for an interesting and humorous example of the BBC's marketing of the new series!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:37 pm

Mappeal wrote:

Sorry Jocelyn but I can't let your crack about George Lazenby go by without reply! Have to say he is by far the most underated Bond of all ( I know he wasn't much of an actor but he fitted the role well )

Oops - major misunderstanding! What I meant by comparing Lazenby and McGann was that both actors only had one crack at playing their respective roles. I would be the last person to pan Lazenby (although many still do, sadly) since I rate 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' as the best Bond film ever made and thought Lazenby was perfect for that particular film (I honestly can't imagine Connery breaking down in tears so convincingly as Lazenby did at that film's tragic end). Still, this is probably more for a separate Bond thread!

Likewise, I wasn't trashing McGann either since I haven't seen the 1996 TV film since it aired and can't remember what he was like in the role. It's not really fair to judge to an actor in a role when they don't get a chance to develop it further.

BN, I actually had a soundtrack LP of 'Genesis Of The Daleks'! I think it had new linking narration from Tom Baker.

I do recall losing interest in the show during the dying days of Colin Baker and Sly McCoy (btw which one of these was unlucky enough to have Bonnie Langford as a companion?[:]:-}[/:]).

Thanks for that link, BA. I can't believe we've gone through a Doctor Who thread without mentioning that iconic theme tune from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. That's going to be great hearing that again on TV!

Jocelyn

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:18 pm

I love the music being played on the BBC trailers now Jocelyn, I think it's an updated version but it's kept the original 'menacing' qualities that made it a classic (and got me so excited as a kid!).

Yep, 'Sly' McCoy did indeed get lumbered with Bonnie Langford. I hope Billie Piper's an improvement, she can't be any worse! [:]NUT[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:24 pm

McGann was about the only good thing about the 1996 TV Movie (along with his companion). The script was naff, and it was all far too confusing for anew audience. Regeneration, history of the Time Lords, an old enemy, all in 90 minutes? It's no wonder the audience got confused. Thankfully this new series isn't getting bogged down in the show's history.

There seems to be a big deal being made of the show's coming ratings battle with Ant 'n' Dec. Hmm. In an ideal world Doctor Who would triumph, but this is the Saturday night viewing audience we're talking about!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:38 pm

I don't remember enjoying the '96 one much. From what I recall it felt a bit too Americanised (perhaps it was backed by a US company, I can't remember).

I heard the theme music on those trailers. Sounds like they've added a bit of timpani to make it more dramatic!

Jocelyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:07 pm

Yes, it was backed by an American co-producer, filmed in Canada, and with an all-American cast (apart from the Doctor himself). It just didn't have the heart and soul of 'normal' Doctor Who, which the new series seems to have retained by all accounts!

Apparently the new series is having trouble finding an American broadcaster because it's *so* British, so that's good to know!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:40 pm

Just hearing the sound of the TARDIS is enough for me! Looks like we're in for a major treat with this new series! Will be interesting to see how long Eccleston sticks around as the Doctor if the show is a hit. He is the type of actor who wants to try everything and will probably resist all attempts to typecast him. Can't really see him showing up at many conventions either!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:21 am

Nah, he's definitely not the convention type. But then neither am I!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Ali 75 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:12 am

I've never been a fan, but I reckon that has something to do with being dragged to a Dr Who exhibition that was near either Southport or Blackpool if I remember correctly, on school trips. I can't remember which one of the two it was near, but us kids just wanted to get to the fair and were playing up something rotten until we were frogmarched out by our harassed teachers[:]:-}[/:]. This is going back a bit, probably mid-late eighties - did anyone else ever get to go there?

I'll probably watch tomorrow though as I like both the writer and Chris Eccleston.
Ali 75

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:51 pm

I'd urge anyone to watch really - the combination of Russell T Davies and Christopher Eccleston is formidable!

Did anyone else see Jonathan Ross last night? Blimey, some of the future episodes look superb - especially the one with Richard Wilson and the zombies in gas masks! Ooh.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:50 pm

I'd rather eat my own vomit than watch Jonathan Ross, he's vile!
Mappeal

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:25 pm

What an enchanting image, Mappeal! [:]:-))[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:44 pm

Doctor Who was super. Super. Eccleston was instantly electric, Piper was amazingly, surprisingly great, the TARDIS interior is gorgeous, the title sequence is fast and exciting, the music's the same.

I particularly liked the restaurant scene, with the headless, hammer-handed Mickey smashing the hell out of everything. And someone I was watching with actually jumped out of their seat when the Autons smashed through the shop window. That's what I like to see!

And it looks set to get better and better, apparently. Woo.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:31 pm

You're spot on B.A. It was a treat to watch. Witty and thrilling in equal measure! Death by wheelie bin has to be one of the funniest sequences I've seen in ages!The TARDIS interior looks truly alien and gorgeous and the sequence where Rose is stalked in the store by the mannequins was quite creepy. I remember watching the original story when the Autons first appeared in Who and they creeped me out then! Think quite a lot of people will be looking very closely at shop dummies over the next few days! Never have brides to be looked so threatening (do I detect a sly dig in that sequence perchance?)
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:41 pm

Heheh, the Autons are definitely one of the creepiest monsters in the history of the series!

Did everyone else hear the Graham Norton voice/audience applause intrusion a few minutes in, too? Silly BBC.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mappeal » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:05 pm

Thought that was just me hearing things ! Still , didn't spoil things so no worries!!
Mappeal

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:43 pm

Nope, it was all harmless enough. Probably pretty gutting for the people behind the show, but still. Plenty of people I've spoken to thought the cheering was on the cleaner's telly in the basement! [:]:-}[/:]
Bad Ambassador

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:39 pm

Pah! That Graham Norton will do anything to get on television[:]:-))[/:] Apparently those intrusions on the soundtrack were from the 'Dancing Fever' broadcast on BBC3 that went out at the same time. Also, considering the very first Doctor Who in '63 was overshadowed by the death of JFK, did anyone else find it spooky that the first episode for 16 years was followed by a newsflash about the death of an ex-Prime Minister?[:]:-O[/:]

Technical cock-ups aside I thought last night's show was absolutely terrific. Christopher Eccleston could turn out to be the best Doctor yet. Oh and call me sad but I actually let out a little cheer when the opening theme music started![:]:-)[/:]

Jocelyn

Postby Mappeal » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:48 pm

I didn't cheer Jocelyn but I did have a big grin on my face and goosebumps when the theme started! Plus in relation to JFK I liked the nod to the historical theme with the pic of the Doctor standing in the crowd as the motorcade passed by in Dallas! That also raises an interesting and mindscrewing point of the first Doctor being in London meeting Ian and Barbara at the same time as the ninth Doctor being in Dallas[:]?[/:] My brain hurts if I try to think about it too much!!!
Mappeal

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion