Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Fan Dividers - "The Friend"

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

What do you think of "The Friend"

I LOVE it!
45%
I HATE it!
55%

Total votes : 33

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:45 am

JT wrote:Just a comment on the unpopularity of 'annoying' characters. I posted elsewhere that I thought both Shelly Long's Diane and John Ratzenberger's Cliff in Cheers were good characters. It seems that most people don't like them because of their 'annoyingness'. Bob the bbq-loving friend is annoying - but it makes it funny. I think annoying characters are sometimes the strongest.

I agree with you there JT, the fun of this episode was seeing Frasier squirming in his seat listening to Bob drone on about BBQs! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:11 pm

JT wrote:Just a comment on the unpopularity of 'annoying' characters. I posted elsewhere that I thought both Shelly Long's Diane and John Ratzenberger's Cliff in Cheers were good characters. It seems that most people don't like them because of their 'annoyingness'. Bob the bbq-loving friend is annoying - but it makes it funny. I think annoying characters are sometimes the strongest.

That's fair enough. I don't dislike Bob in this episode, but i voted like anyway. Dr Mary i find annoying but i can just about get away with her in the first ep she appears in - the second one however winds me up completely :)

The Ann character from season 11, i hate too, even though i know she's supposed to be deliberately annoying.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:The Ann character from season 11, i hate too, even though i know she's supposed to be deliberately annoying.

She's another character I thought was ok. I enjoy seeing Frasier placed in horrible situations, and seeing him padlocked into his date with Ann just when Miss Right came along was very funny. I love it when he speared half a dozen ravioli at once to finish the date quicker! :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:17 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:The Ann character from season 11, i hate too, even though i know she's supposed to be deliberately annoying.

She's another character I thought was ok. I enjoy seeing Frasier placed in horrible situations, and seeing him padlocked into his date with Ann just when Miss Right came along was very funny. I love it when he speared half a dozen ravioli at once to finish the date quicker! :lol:

Again, like Dr Mary, she was fine for a single episode. No need for a return though. It is fun to see Frasier struggle though :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:22 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:

Again, like Dr Mary, she was fine for a single episode. No need for a return though. It is fun to see Frasier struggle though :lol:

I agree with that. Both Dr Mary and Ann suffered from the law of diminishing returns.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby JT » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:54 pm

I like it.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby JT » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:57 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:

I saw the actress who played Ann, Julia Sweeny, on a talk show a week or so ago. She's pretty much like her Ann character, at least in voice and to a degree her mannerisms. I don't remember her from snl, but I haven't really watched that show that much since the 70's! I thought her character in Frasier was pretty good in terms of comedic patheticness.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby woggle » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:25 pm

its not one i watch very often if at all as i dont particually find it very funny only two ways to vote so it had to be hate it
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:01 pm

JT wrote:

I saw the actress who played Ann, Julia Sweeny, on a talk show a week or so ago. She's pretty much like her Ann character, at least in voice and to a degree her mannerisms. I don't remember her from snl, but I haven't really watched that show that much since the 70's! I thought her character in Frasier was pretty good in terms of comedic patheticness.

Since i said that. I've warmed to her much more. I like the episode a lot, and she's a big part of the laughs. Two episodes of her was still pushing it a bit, but i wouldn't say i hate her so much now :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:07 pm

I loved most of the stuff Julia Sweeney did on SNL and she was great when she played a nun on Sex and the City.

The Ann character was annoying and grating as she was meant to be. One episode was enough. I'm still not fond of that one episode but I'll watch it if it's on.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby McAllister sister » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:29 pm

The only good thing I can think of about Bob is that unlike Dr Mary we only had to endure him once!
Frasier: We'll contact you. If not by telephone then through the toaster.
McAllister sister

Postby White Rabbit » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:00 pm

I found it funny, and that's all that matters in this case.
White Rabbit

Postby cwhellfukk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:07 pm

Not too shabby, but not my favourite episode.

I like the "arrogant bastards" line though, and Frasier struggling desperately to find any common ground: "ah, er, uh, you know, well, national holidays, huff, puff, uh, Fourth of July, er..." :lol:
cwhellfukk

Location: Sweden - where polar bears commit suicide over taxes

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:20 am

Still hate it. It's not just because Bob was annoying, it's the way Frasier breaks at the end, that just bugs me - get a spine man.
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Previous

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes