Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Yap Thread!

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Stu » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:07 pm

Agides wrote:Can I just ask a quick question - can anyone else see that the forum clock keeps jumping between GMT and BST or is it just me?? :?
If it's me, is there something I should be re-setting on my PC? Sorry if this is really basic stuff - I keep seeing the hours changing and I'm concerned I'm losing several hours of my day on FO (well, more than usual!). :shock: :lol:

Umm, the overall forum timezone was changed to GMT from GMT+1 yesterday, but that doesn't affect forum members who have to change their timezone profile setting themselves as well. Click the Profile link, and scroll down and you should find it.
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Niles: Yes. Can I do that?
Frasier: No, you can't!
Stu
Site Admin

Postby Agides » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:40 pm

Stu wrote:
Agides wrote:Can I just ask a quick question - can anyone else see that the forum clock keeps jumping between GMT and BST or is it just me?? :?
If it's me, is there something I should be re-setting on my PC? Sorry if this is really basic stuff - I keep seeing the hours changing and I'm concerned I'm losing several hours of my day on FO (well, more than usual!). :shock: :lol:

Umm, the overall forum timezone was changed to GMT from GMT+1 yesterday, but that doesn't affect forum members who have to change their timezone profile setting themselves as well. Click the Profile link, and scroll down and you should find it.

:oops: D'OH!!!!!

Thanks Stu - I rarely go into my profile, so I haven't noticed a drop down menu for the timezone before. I'll definitely remember this for next Spring.

It wasn't really a huge issue but I spend enough time on FO as it is, without seeing even more hours slip away in front of my eyes!!! :lol:
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:39 pm

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here................

This morning while I was coming to work, the morning DJ's were talking about making art out of cremated ashes. The story started with some woman who had her mother's ashes in an urn stuffed in a drawer for years because she couldn't think of a proper way to display them that would represent her mother's life.

Anyway, the story sent me into the giggles (and I was alone in the car so people probably thought me a bit strange) because all I could think of then was Niles with that urn in Martin Does It His Way! That's my favorite scene in that episode.

David Hyde Pierce is so good at physical comedy!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:16 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here................

This morning while I was coming to work, the morning DJ's were talking about making art out of cremated ashes. The story started with some woman who had her mother's ashes in an urn stuffed in a drawer for years because she couldn't think of a proper way to display them that would represent her mother's life.

Anyway, the story sent me into the giggles (and I was alone in the car so people probably thought me a bit strange) because all I could think of then was Niles with that urn in Martin Does It His Way! That's my favorite scene in that episode.

David Hyde Pierce is so good at physical comedy!

Have you heard about people having ashes turned into diamonds? Sounds quite appealing, though slightly macabre. One woman had her dad's ashes made into a diamond then set in a wedding ring so she could still walk with him down the aisle. That sounds fine, but if I were the hubby I'd want her to stick it in a drawer or something on the wedding night! :wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:40 pm

Yeah, they were talking about the diamond thing today too. One of the morning jocks has a friend who's husband passed away when he was rather young and she has his ashes in a diamond. The only thing there would be that if she remarried, it might be a bit odd.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Agides » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:44 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Yeah, they were talking about the diamond thing today too. One of the morning jocks has a friend who's husband passed away when he was rather young and she has his ashes in a diamond. The only thing there would be that if she remarried, it might be a bit odd.

The only way turning a loved ones ashes into a diamond would be odd as far as I can see, is if you then had the diamond set in your tooth, 'cos that's just plain wrong! :shock: :D
Agides

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:00 pm

Agides wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Yeah, they were talking about the diamond thing today too. One of the morning jocks has a friend who's husband passed away when he was rather young and she has his ashes in a diamond. The only thing there would be that if she remarried, it might be a bit odd.

The only way turning a loved ones ashes into a diamond would be odd as far as I can see, is if you then had the diamond set in your tooth, 'cos that's just plain wrong! :shock: :D

Well, the Toof Diamond thing is just plain wrong anyway! :roll:

I thought the artwork thing was kind of interesting. In one case, they mixed the ashes with a sort of paint and then made a painting out it. Another woman had a snow globe made.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Agides » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:09 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Agides wrote:

Well, the Toof Diamond thing is just plain wrong anyway! :roll:

I thought the artwork thing was kind of interesting. In one case, they mixed the ashes with a sort of paint and then made a painting out it. Another woman had a snow globe made.

In all seriousness, I quite like the idea of being made into a work of art. I have asked to be cremated and sprinked somewhere 'cos the thought of being plonked on a mantelpiece in an urn is quite hideous. I may have to have a re-think.

Ooh...this is quite depressing. Must think happy thoughts!
Agides

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:44 pm

Ok, which one of you hired Officer Nasty?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Agides » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:50 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Ok, which one of you hired Officer Nasty?

:lol:
I have just read this on the BBC News website. I can't believe the story made it to the US.
So what do you think of our education system then, Cat??!!
Agides

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Agides wrote:

I have just read this on the BBC News website. I can't believe the story made it to the US.

I can't believe the teacher didn't put a stop to it immediately!

But hey, here we have teachers skipping the country with their 13 year old student boy toys!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:57 pm

Agides wrote:

:lol: :hello1: That's brilliant, is that real?! :D
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:58 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Agides wrote:

:lol: :hello1: That's brilliant, is that real?! :D

I got it from FOXNews! Of COURSE it's real! And fair and balanced too! :wink:

It is real though.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:27 pm

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this already...

According to a recent survey of 4,000 people, carried out by UK Gold, these are the most ridiculous laws which still exist in Britain:

Most ridiculous British law:

1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27 percent voted this as no. 1)

2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down (seven percent)

3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (six percent)

4. Mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day (five percent)

5. In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter (four percent)

6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (four percent)

7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the king, and the tail of the queen (3.5 percent)

8. It is illegal to avoid telling the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (three percent)

9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour (three percent)

10. In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (two percent)
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Agides » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:31 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Not sure if anyone's mentioned this already...

According to a recent survey of 4,000 people, carried out by UK Gold, these are the most ridiculous laws which still exist in Britain:

1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27 percent voted this as no. 1)

2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down (seven percent)

3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (six percent)

5. In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter (four percent)

6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (four percent)

7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the king, and the tail of the queen (3.5 percent)

8. It is illegal to avoid telling the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (three percent)

9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour (three percent)

10. In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (two percent)

We don't seem able to shake off the fishy theme, do we?? (I really have stopped now, I promise!).
Agides

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:35 pm

Agides wrote:
3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store

We don't seem able to shake off the fishy theme, do we?? (I really have stopped now, I promise!).

Actually, that's the 'law' that confused me most out of that list! All of the others, I can at least see a sliver of logic behind them, but not that one! Er... what possible reason could there have been for that law being needed? :lol:

The mince pies one - apparently, that was put in place due to Oliver Cromwell, who was attempting to control gluttony!
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:36 pm

What is the penalty given to such a person should they commit this offense?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Agides » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:37 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:

Life imprisonment.
Agides

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:50 pm

Agides wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

Life imprisonment.

I was thinking it was probably punishable by death!

As for the Topless Tropical Fish store.......I bet those would rank high on the popularity scale!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:07 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I can at least see a sliver of logic behind them, but not that one!

:lol: you have read them all?

What logical reason was there for Number 1 then?

1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament

Doesn't GB do that every PMQ? (baddum-dum-tschh)
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:00 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:I can at least see a sliver of logic behind them, but not that one!

:lol: you have read them all?

What logical reason was there for Number 1 then?

Well, I imagine it must be very inconvenient to have someone die, they would have to get doctors and coroners and all sorts of things involved. Plus, it wouldn't be very flattering to whichever MP happens to be speaking at the time.

(All right, I didn't say it was sound, flawless logic! :lol: )

1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament

Doesn't GB do that every PMQ? (baddum-dum-tschh)

:roll: :violent1:

Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Oh, and this one:

Dorset Girl wrote:6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (four percent)

I bet you... *checks pocket* ...23p, an old bus ticket and a piece of fluff that if I waltzed into Tesco and peed behind the deli counter, they'd have something to say about it! Wouldn't stand up in court though, would it?
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:11 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Oh, and this one:

Dorset Girl wrote:6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (four percent)

I bet you... *checks pocket* ...23p, an old bus ticket and a piece of fluff that if I waltzed into Tesco and peed behind the deli counter, they'd have something to say about it! Wouldn't stand up in court though, would it?

I'd rather you attempt to pee in a policeman's helmet! I'd pay good money to see the reaction of said Copper!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:20 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:

I'd rather you attempt to pee in a policeman's helmet! I'd pay good money to see the reaction of said Copper!

Well, apparently, UK Gold then did a follow-up to this particular law, and asked several policeman what they would do in that circumstance! Unsurprisingly, none of them were too happy about it. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 pm

I dare you to do it :D I'll give you 23p if you do.! :D :lol: :lol:
welshben23

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion