Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Fan Dividers - Rooms With A View!

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

What do you think of 'Rooms With A View'?

I LOVE it!
91%
I HATE it!
9%

Total votes : 23

Fan Dividers - Rooms With A View!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:14 pm

I say this episode is one of the finest examples of 'dramedy' this millennium. Cakey says it's crap! Who's right and who's wrong? Discuss! :D
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Re: Fan Dividers - Rooms With A View!

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:41 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I say this episode is one of the finest examples of 'dramedy' this millennium. Cakey says it's crap! Who's right and who's wrong? Discuss! :D

I'm right, of course! :P

I just think it tried to hard. It's full of your typical O'Shannon era problems. Not enough comedy - which would have been fair enough if they'd done the emotion successfully, but I think they failed completely. The flashbacks were just too short to create any impact, and it's one of about 5 episodes that I never want to watch again.

So, HATE IT! With a passion, in fact.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:50 pm

Went with Love It because I don't Hate It. It's actually pretty good and I love the scenes in the waiting room The story Martin tells about how Frasier convinced Niles that they were all just figments of his imagination and whenever he left the room, they would all disappear makes me smile every time I hear it.

Yes, it's heavy emotion but I like it. Beats the hell out the episode that follows it! Now THAT one is CRAP!

So, Cakey is wrong.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Carolina Crane-iac » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:32 am

I went with LOVE IT. I think the concept was brilliant and, like many other things, I don't know of another show that could have pulled it off. Frasier's charts and research, Martin's "denial", Daphne's encounter with the candy machine showed us everyone dealing with their fear in their own way and, to me, was true to how a family deals with a crisis.

Rooms With A View is actually one of those episodes that I've hunted to see when it was on so I wouldn't miss it. Some of its appeal might be it is unique, but I like it.
Carolina Crane-iac

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:05 am

I chose 'love it' too - I haven't seen it in context - i.e. within any story arcs happening at that time - as I've seen all of the episodes around that time out of order, but it does stick out in my mind as one of the better episodes from that time.

And I agree - Daphne with the candy machine is a nice touch - out of character for her, therefore showing how the worry was taking over in her mind.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Agides » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:25 am

I voted for 'Love It'. I love Roz's jokes about how the 'Best Of Frasier Crane' show being broadcast at KACL that day could be used to replace anaesthesia in the operating room etc etc!
My favourite scenes are the one where Martin is being told about Hester's condition by the consultant (I always get choked up by this even though I've seen it a hundred times) and when Niles is visiting Daphne towards the end of the episode.
If I was being hypercritical, I would say that the only teeny bit that I don't like is Frasier's research pamphlet/correcting the surgeon, but I can live with it!
Last edited by Agides on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:34 am

It seems I'm in the minority with this one! :(
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:13 pm

Agides wrote:I voted for 'Love It'. I love Roz's jokes about how the 'Best Of Frasier Crane' show being broadcast at KACL that day could be used to replace anaesthesia in the operating room etc etc!
My favourite scenes are the one where Martin is being told about Hester's condition by the consultant (I always get choked up by this even though I've seen it a hundred times) and when Niles is visiting Daphne towards the end of the episode.
If I was being hypercritical, I would say that the only teeny bit that I don't like is Frasier's research pamphlet/correcting the surgeon, but I can live with it!

That's one of the few sections I don't like as well but he makes up for it when he offers Daphne his cell phone when she's freaking out about not being able to check the messages on the answering machine.

And I don't really think Daphne smashing the candy machine is out of character. We've seen what happens to her when she gets overwhelmed before! Remember Dark Side of the Moon?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:25 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:And I don't really think Daphne smashing the candy machine is out of character. We've seen what happens to her when she gets overwhelmed before! Remember Dark Side of the Moon?

No, I phrased that wrongly. I didn't mean 'out of character' exactly... I mean that she doesn't go around vandalising things every day, so it shows how worried she must have been to do something like that.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:25 pm

I'll vote 'love it'. It's a heavy episode, not exactly your typical sitcom episode, but it's written well. There's some nice touches in there.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:15 pm

Out of interest, what percentage score would everyone give this episode?
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:30 pm

I'd probably give it about an 85%.

It's not a great episode and I don't really "love" it. It's not an episode I seek out when it's on but I also don't avoid it and there are parts of it I really enjoy.

Like I said above, it's MILES above it's follow up episode, Don't Go Breaking My Heart which is one of those S10 episodes that I absolutely avoid.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:36 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I'd probably give it about an 85%.

It's not a great episode and I don't really "love" it. It's not an episode I seek out when it's on but I also don't avoid it and there are parts of it I really enjoy.

Like I said above, it's MILES above it's follow up episode, Don't Go Breaking My Heart which is one of those S10 episodes that I absolutely avoid.

Same here. I don't mind 'Bristle While You Work' too much though - probably because Niles' heart problems are a secondary issue and dealt with in a humurous way. The stuff with Frasier/Martin and the cleaner is good too.
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:26 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:It seems I'm in the minority with this one! :(

Yeah, I thought you'd have a bit more support actually. I know Strat's moving house at the moment but the last time we did an 'ultimate season' poll he stuck in RWAV as his S10 choice.

I hate this to sound condescending but maybe the episode rings true and pushes those emotional buttons for people who've actually been through something similar? I think when you reach a certain age you've almost certainly been in a similar situation yourself (in my case it was my wife giving birth). When you're able to empathise so closely with the situations and reactions of the characters it goes to show just how spot-on the writing and acting is in this episode. If you haven't been through something like that it's perhaps more difficult.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Yeah, I thought you'd have a bit more support actually. I know Strat's moving house at the moment but the last time we did an 'ultimate season' poll he stuck in RWAV as his S10 choice.

Maybe I'll get some much needed support when the S10 DVD comes out in December. :)

I hate this to sound condescending but maybe the episode rings true and pushes those emotional buttons for people who've actually been through something similar? I think when you reach a certain age you've almost certainly been in a similar situation yourself (in my case it was my wife giving birth). When you're able to empathise so closely with the situations and reactions of the characters it goes to show just how spot-on the writing and acting is in this episode. If you haven't been through something like that it's perhaps more difficult.

I see what you mean, but I have been in similar situations before. Admittedly, I've never seen anyone undergo a heart operation, but I've visited people I love in hospitals, and I think I know how horrible and distressing it is. I've only seen RWAV once - so maybe I've misjudged it?
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:53 pm

I don't think I've even seen this one since it first aired in what, 2003? So I won't vote, 'cos I can't remember enough about it.

And here ends probably the most pointless post this forum has ever seen.
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Carolina Crane-iac » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:39 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:It seems I'm in the minority with this one! :(

ITA. Sitting at the hospital is one of the most stressful, exausting experiences I know of. RWAV did take me back to when my grandfather had his heart surgery, so I could empathize with the characters.

On a lighter note, did anyone else find it amusing that "Niles the butler" from The Nanny was the doctor who did "Niles the psychiatrist"'s surgery? :)
Carolina Crane-iac

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:34 pm

On a lighter note, did anyone else find it amusing that "Niles the butler" from The Nanny was the doctor who did "Niles the psychiatrist"'s surgery?

I always thought that was kind of funny.

My two favorite "comedic" parts of that episode are when Roz comes and whispers "Why is he so pale?" and Niles whispers back "He's always this pale!" and the stuck Chunky sequence! (before Daphne smashes the candy machine)
CatNamedRudy

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:32 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
On a lighter note, did anyone else find it amusing that "Niles the butler" from The Nanny was the doctor who did "Niles the psychiatrist"'s surgery?

I always thought that was kind of funny.

My two favorite "comedic" parts of that episode are when Roz comes and whispers "Why is he so pale?" and Niles whispers back "He's always this pale!" and the stuck Chunky sequence! (before Daphne smashes the candy machine)

The only part that raised a smile for me was Mrs Moon's 'get well soon' card to Niles. 'Dear Niles, I know we haven't always gotten along...' :)
Cake for Brains

Postby White Rabbit » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:41 pm

Just so people know, it is extremely rare and considered archaic to use 'gotten' as the past participle of 'get' in British English. It is only remotely considered standard in North America, so it's very implausible that such an old British woman would use 'gotten'. One can argue that Gertrude wanted her card to have a more Ameican feel, but I think O'Shannon simply overlooked the British English difference.
White Rabbit

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:50 pm

White Rabbit wrote:Just so people know, it is extremely rare and considered archaic to use 'gotten' as the past participle of 'get' in British English. It is only remotely considered standard in North America, so it's very implausible that such an old British woman would use 'gotten'. One can argue that Gertrude wanted her card to have a more Ameican feel, but I think O'Shannon simply overlooked the British English difference.

Don't tell Mr o'shannon that, he'll go spare! :lol: (see the 'Forum Posts By Frasier Staff Members' sticky)
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:53 pm

So, in the "proper" British vernacular what I'm assuming Gertrude would have ACTUALLY written was: Niles: I know we haven't always got on. Correct? (or am I still being a British impaired American here?)
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:59 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:So, in the "proper" British vernacular what I'm assuming Gertrude would have ACTUALLY written was: Niles: I know we haven't always got on. Correct? (or am I still being a British impaired American here?)

I suppose so, but 'gotten' didn't exactly leap out at me as something a British person wouldn't say, as I've used that word quite a bit myself.

Still, I'm always happy to learn something new! :)
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:03 pm

In defence of the writers, I have to say this piece of dialogue from Moons Over Seattle was spot-on...

Niles: Okay, okay, moving on... Your first date?
Harry: She had me over for dinner.
Gertrude: Oh, do you remember, I cooked you bubble and squeak.
Harry: And then we went out, got squiffy and half starkers and snogged behind the chippy.
Niles: You lost me after the word "dinner," but the language of love is universal.

I love the 'snogged behind the chippy' line, that's classic northern-speak! :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:46 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:So, in the "proper" British vernacular what I'm assuming Gertrude would have ACTUALLY written was: Niles: I know we haven't always got on. Correct? (or am I still being a British impaired American here?)

I suppose so, but 'gotten' didn't exactly leap out at me as something a British person wouldn't say, as I've used that word quite a bit myself.

Still, I'm always happy to learn something new! :)

I don't agree with WR - i'd have used gotten, too. It sounds more correct. I'd never say 'we haven't always got on'. It's either 'we haven't always gotten on' or 'we don't always get on', for me. Maybe it's a Northern thing, but i don't think so. It's certainly not rare.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Next

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes