Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

In school, did you do well in humanities or the sciences?

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Which were you better at: Humanities/Arts or Mathematics/Sciences?

Humanities (English, History, Geography, Religious Education, Art, Drama, Music, Languages)
47%
Mathematics/Sciences (Maths, Science, IT, Technology)
No votes
I did well at both
35%
Neither
6%
Better at humanities/arts but okay at mathematics/sciences
12%
Better at mathematics/sciences but okay at humanities/arts
No votes

Total votes : 17

In school, did you do well in humanities or the sciences?

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 pm

I appreciate and respect mathematics and the sciences, but when it came to level of talent I was basically an average student when it came to those subjects. I was better at some areas than others; once I got the hang of algebra I was okay, and I liked probabilitty but I remember disliking fractions and trigonometry/geometry. As with science, there were some areas I liked and some areas I just wasn't much good at. Technology...got a B in my GCSE Food Tech exam, but all other kind of technology I never was much good at.

Humanities were and are my forte. I didn't take Art or Geography past Year 9 but my favourite subjects were English, History, R.E. and Drama. I got As or A*s in the former three and a B in Drama.

Languages...studied German, got a C in my GCSE.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Re: In school, did you do well in humanities or the sciences

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 am

I've gone with ok at math/science but better at arts/humanities.

As much as i enjoy the sciences nowadays, i was only ok at them at school and probably wish i'd been better enough to carry on with more of them at school. Out of physics, chemistry and biology i only carried physics on for GSCE alongside my mathematics and computer studies. I was far better at 'arts' related subjects, doing history, geography, french, english language, english lit, art & design, etc.

If i'd had the same level of interest in science at the time as i do now, i'd probably have taken them all to exam levels. But then i suppose i'd now be a completely different person, so maybe it's ok as it is. Maybe i had to come to them later in life to appreciate and enjoy them.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:27 pm

I did okay in all the subjects I took for GCSE, but I didn't really enjoy the sciences. As with you, MC, I'm much more interested in science now. I think it's because science lessons at school were so mindnumbingly booring, and was taught by old blokes who clearly needed to shop for deodorant and toothpaste.

Physics was all about... I can't even remember, but not about the origins of the universe, or anything of that interesting nature. As for chemistry, the most exciting thing that happened in the whole of the three years I studied it was that I spilt kerosene on my ringbinder. Instead of getting a new one, I carried on using it, enjoying the smell but at risk of igniting every time the pipe-smoking teacher came anywhere near me.

I enjoyed arts and humanities much more - Geography, Art and English at A-level, then a Geography degree.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Lil » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:25 am

Humanities, for sure. I did well in English and drama classes, although I was quite horrible at geography. The inability to memorize the names of seas always caused me to receive a 60% on tests! :lol:
Lil

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:04 pm

I was horrible at math and sciences. Still am bad at math. Once I get past the basics I'm lost. I can add, subtract, multiply and divide and that's about it. Was always good in things like civics/social studies and history. I was good at memorizing dates and that sort of stuff.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby !Amz! » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Definitely humanities. I managed to pass all my GCSEs, scraping a C in maths which to this day I still don't know how I got, but I struggled with maths and science a hell of lot when I was at school. Biology I could just about manage because some of it I actually enjoyed, but physics and chemistry I was terrible at.

I found religious studies interesting enough to take at A-level - or rather "philosophy and ethics" which the subject was called - but once I started it I HATED it with a passion. Ethics was crap because of who we had teaching us, and we had a couple of "Plastics" in our group (the type of girls who think fake tan, bleached hair, shitloads of make-up and a designer handbag is the most important thing in the world and automatically makes you better than everyone else and gives you the right to pick on small, quiet girls with glasses and braces...oops, went off topic...) and I'd always be afraid of speaking my opinions as they had something to say about literally everything, usually a counter-argument. Philosophy just made my head hurt - I remember writing a small paragraph for each of the 3 essay questions in the exam. Scraped a pass by the skin of my teeth with an E, but needless to say, I dropped it for my second year of sixth form.
!Amz!

Postby Cymru1991 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:21 pm

I loved both actually. I was fortunate (/worked hard enough) to get A*s accross the board at GCSE. However at A level, I probably favoured the humanities.
Cymru1991

Postby Patrick » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:08 pm

I did pretty well at pretty much everything and I can even carry a tune quite well. :wink:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Hawkspur » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 pm

I got "above average"in all subjects, but wonder how things would have gone if we had good teachers. We had some cruddy teachers at my school.
As an example, at the end of the year when I was 15, when we were to sit a national exam, I went to study for maths, the night before, as you do... and found I had two pages of doodles, total. No work at all.
I sat down and read the syllabus till about 2 am. I remember thinking, "Oh, so that's what a quadratic is..." because I had vaguely heard the word mentioned in class, but I was probably reading a book. At least I wasn't disruptive. :roll:
I found University maths hard going after that background, but did do a few papers in it.
Hawkspur

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes