Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Sweet or salted popcorn?

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Do you prefer sweet or salted popcorn?

Sweet
13
65%
Salted
7
35%
 
Total votes : 20

Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Prompted by a news story I've just read about popcorn being good for you - yay! :D I imagine if it's covered in sugar or salt, the good effects may be outweighed by the bad ones though.

Anyway - IMHO, salty popcorn is just plain wrong! the sugary stuff on the other hand... mmm, mmm, mmm! Especially the little crunchy bits in the bottom.

So which do you prefer?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Sweet, sugary popcorn for me. I can't stand popcorn that's salted or just covered in butter.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Yep, salted popcorn is like salted porridge - just plain wrong.

I like the toffee stuff you get in supermarkets, although it's not my favourite snack food due to all the crap that gets stuck in your teeth...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby kat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:19 pm

salted, no butter mmmmmmmm
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
User avatar
kat
 
Posts: 4416
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: the dark side of the moon

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:00 pm

I think we've had this conversation before. Sweet popcorn with the exception of caramel corn is a relatively new concept in the US. I'd never heard of it until about 10 years ago. Popcorn here is salted and coated in butter! Especially movie theatre popcorn! Yummm!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby BURLINGTONTIGER2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Salted? Salted? SALTED? That's just bizzare. Who would do a thing like that? It's just freaky.

Although I disagree with those earlier comments about porridge. Salt and water is preferable to milk and sugar.
"If this goes on, my beloved 'earers, it will be my painful duty to
rot this bargee." Stalky drew a long breath through his nose.
User avatar
BURLINGTONTIGER2
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:22 am
Location: East Yorkshire coast, England

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby kat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:37 pm

BURLINGTONTIGER2 wrote:Salted? Salted? SALTED? That's just bizzare. Who would do a thing like that? It's just freaky.

Although I disagree with those earlier comments about porridge. Salt and water is preferable to milk and sugar.


on porridge I like it made plain and then a generous pinch of salt (not so much that it's the overwhelming taste)
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
User avatar
kat
 
Posts: 4416
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: the dark side of the moon

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:37 am

kat wrote:
BURLINGTONTIGER2 wrote:Salted? Salted? SALTED? That's just bizzare. Who would do a thing like that? It's just freaky.

Although I disagree with those earlier comments about porridge. Salt and water is preferable to milk and sugar.


on porridge I like it made plain and then a generous pinch of salt (not so much that it's the overwhelming taste)


You're both insane! It's only edible with milk and Golden Syrup. Otherwise it's pigswill.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
kat wrote:
BURLINGTONTIGER2 wrote:Salted? Salted? SALTED? That's just bizzare. Who would do a thing like that? It's just freaky.

Although I disagree with those earlier comments about porridge. Salt and water is preferable to milk and sugar.


on porridge I like it made plain and then a generous pinch of salt (not so much that it's the overwhelming taste)


You're both insane! It's only edible with milk and Golden Syrup. Otherwise it's pigswill.


Absolutely 100% with BS here. Salted porridge is valid evidence towards the existence of the devil as far as i'm concerned. Milk and sugar porridge is lovely.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Mmm, yes, demerera... damarara.... demarare.... demarera... oh, bugger it.... brown sugar is the best on porridge.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Porridge? All I think of when I hear the word porridge is Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I'm not even sure what porridge is though I believe it's akin to Cream of Wheat.

In which case it should have sugar and butter on it. Brown sugar definitely is good. Cinnamon is good too. Honey and/or maple syrup would also work.

Popcorn on the other hand.........SALT!!!! :lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:00 pm

*Incredulous look*

You don't have porridge in the US?!

I'm marrying porridge, it's yummy.

EDIT: Porridge is made from oats, rather than wheat, so it's probably got a different texture than cream of wheat, not sure...
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:*Incredulous look*

You don't have porridge in the US?!

I'm marrying porridge, it's yummy.

EDIT: Porridge is made from oats, rather than wheat, so it's probably got a different texture than cream of wheat, not sure...


I just looked it up. Pretty much looks like oatmeal.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:04 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I'm marrying porridge, it's yummy.


:lol: Do you go with Quaker, Scott's or another brand?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:I'm marrying porridge, it's yummy.


:lol: Do you go with Quaker, Scott's or another brand?


Whatever, I'm not fussy. Hot porridge, soft brown sugar and milk... used to have it for breakfast when I stayed with my Gran. Scrummylicious. Haven't had it for years, though. Now I've got a craving for it. :?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:07 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I just looked it up. Pretty much looks like oatmeal.


I think it's less... bumpy... than oatmeal.

EDIT: :lol: 'Smoother', that's what I was trying to say.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I just looked it up. Pretty much looks like oatmeal.


I think it's less... bumpy... than oatmeal.

EDIT: :lol: 'Smoother', that's what I was trying to say.


:lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Lil » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Salted. It's an American thing. I don't think I've ever tried it sweetened.
User avatar
Lil
 
Posts: 9936
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 am
Location: New York

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Lil wrote:Salted. It's an American thing. I don't think I've ever tried it sweetened.


So Lil, after all your talk of innuendoes on other threads, you're now telling me that you like the taste of salty things in your mouth?! :shock:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Lil » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Lil wrote:Salted. It's an American thing. I don't think I've ever tried it sweetened.


So Lil, after all your talk of innuendoes on other threads, you're now telling me that you like the taste of salty things in your mouth?! :shock:


My preferences change on a daily basis. :D
User avatar
Lil
 
Posts: 9936
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 am
Location: New York

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby mackerj » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:27 am

I am such a big fan of Chicago popcorn and I usually go for their cheese option, which is really just nice. Sometimes, I also fancy the caramel crisp version, but in general I really prefer salty popcorn.

I think the liking stemmed from what type of food you prefer when watching a movie. And obviously because chips would be the obvious choice, then a salty popcorn would follow as well.
mackerj
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby ouroboros » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Salted all the way!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
User avatar
ouroboros
 
Posts: 2839
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 pm
Location: London

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby Hawkspur » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:51 am

Neither. I've never understood the attraction of popcorn. People use it to ruin good things like butter and sugar.

As for porridge. I leave the room if it gets made. The recipe is the practically same as glue, but with lumps.
Hawkspur
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:39 pm
Location: NZ

Re: Sweet or salted popcorn?

Postby ProOperaVoter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:15 pm

Yep. Salty. I was born in the UK, moved to the USA at age four until I was eleven, when I went to British boarding school. I had only ever had salted popcorn in the USA, and so I was shocked when I was offered toffee popcorn...from Indianapolis, only a few hours from my home!
"Sherry, Niles?"
User avatar
ProOperaVoter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:35 am


Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2017. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.