Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Newspapers (UK Centric)

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Which newspapers do you read (select as many options as you wish)?

Express
No votes
Guardian
13%
Independent
13%
Mail
No votes
Mirror / People
7%
Star
No votes
Sun / News of the World
27%
Telegraph
7%
Times
7%
Local / Regional Papers
20%
I don’t read a newspaper
7%

Total votes : 15

Newspapers (UK Centric)

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 am

Apologies to any non-UK residents, but the poll options onlay apply to British newspapers. Please feel free to contribute if any discussion ensues, though. :)

Which newspapers do you read - and do you read them regularly, or just occasionally?

If you wish to, you can vote anonymously, without making a post on the thread. Even if you don't wish to contribute though, I'd be grateful if you could select one or more of the poll options, I'm curious as to what the results will be!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Re: Newspapers (UK Centric)

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:35 am

I selected 'local papers', as I read the Bournemouth Echo and most of the freebies that come through the door quite regularly.

I also selected 'Independent', because if I had to read a national paper, that's the one I'd choose. I hardly ever read national papers though, I prefer using the BBC webpages or News 24. Although the BBC are often baised about issues, I find them much less so than most newspapers.

I glanced at hubby's copy of The Mail the other day, and they had quotations from some of the Labour Party members, from the conference. With every quotation, the Mail had warped it to make it sound like the person who said it was self-centred and couldn't wait to stab Gordon Brown in the back. Pointless, biased reporting IMHO.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby kat » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:36 am

I read whatever is in the canteen at work, so usually the Sun and Mirror, and only then the sports pages for the F1 results
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:04 pm

I don't buy any newspapers, but I do read articles by a couple of journalists on the Guardian, Times, Telegraph websites.

Not a fan of the red top style but I particularly detest the S*n and Daily Mail. Voice of the people? No, you don't at all speak for me, thank you very much.

I do quickly skim through the free local papers that are delivered, but only to check for anything to do with local transport/parking policy.

I use the BBC site mostly for initial news information and take it from there to delve deeper into anything interesting. News agencies, such as Reuters, are handy as most newspapers and broadcasters pad out from those agency releases anyway.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:09 pm

We get the sun pretty much everyday and although i usualy race to the back pages for the sport i do eventually get to the rest of the paper . A plus on a sat is the tv mag that runs for a week comes with the paper . Also always get the News of the world on a sun .
woggle

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:17 pm

I actually occasionally read The Guardian online.

Right after 9-11 I bookmarked a boatload of different "news" sites from all over the world. I was surprised that I didn't have the FBI breathing down my neck for a while because I had stuff like the Pakistani Daily, the Arab News and al-Jazeera on there. Actually those are still there excpet for al-Jazeera because the link stopped working. I read them on occasion because it's interesting to see points of view from other parts of the world. Pravda is really fun to read because it's translated literally and sometimes the literal translation just doesn't quite work!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby insaneasperger » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:57 pm

since i came in here i have been reading the sun and the dorset echo prettymuch daily, as it keeps me up to date on the outside world
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:04 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I actually occasionally read The Guardian online.

Right after 9-11 I bookmarked a boatload of different "news" sites from all over the world. I was surprised that I didn't have the FBI breathing down my neck for a while because I had stuff like the Pakistani Daily, the Arab News and al-Jazeera on there. Actually those are still there excpet for al-Jazeera because the link stopped working. I read them on occasion because it's interesting to see points of view from other parts of the world. Pravda is really fun to read because it's translated literally and sometimes the literal translation just doesn't quite work!

I've seen some very good documentaries produced by the Al Jazeera channel. We even have an Al Jazeera England news channel on Sky. I'd suspect their name garners some kneejerk reactions from certain sections of the public though. Their offices and journalists have almost certainly been deliberately targeted by US forces for not toeing the US propaganda line. Ironic really, seeing as Al Jazeera aren't seen favourably by the very nations that the US associates them as supporting.

I guess if all sides are negative towards them then they must be doing their job pretty well :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:03 pm

I "read" the Sun for the sports pages and on Friday for the Video Games reviews. I don't know why though, the reviews are a load of shite. I also read the South Wales Evening Post nearly every day. One day last week there was one story in it which would really piss Rodge off. Apparently within 10 miles of the centre of Swansea, there are 13 Tesco stores. :P
welshben23

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:06 pm

welshben23 wrote:I "read" the Sun for the sports pages and on Friday for the Video Games reviews. I don't know why though, the reviews are a load of shite. I also read the South Wales Evening Post nearly every day. One day last week there was one story in it which would really piss Rodge off. Apparently within 10 miles of the centre of Swansea, there are 13 Tesco stores. :P

Tut, tut. I'm surprised at you as a Liverpool fan, buddy. The most I'll do is look at the tits. If they don't have any stories on Gordon Brown and Peter Mandleson I'll look at page 3 too. :wink:

I used to get the Daily Express when I was in my teens and early 20s basically because I enjoyed reading their sports journalists. Their 'news' stories only ever consisted of what the Royals were up to, so I soon stopped that lark. Now I have a link to the Telegraph's sports writers online who include Geoff Boycott and Alan Hansen. Two more authoritative voices on their respective sports will be hard to find.

As for 'news' in general I tend to read th BBC's site for most things, although I'll browse through some MSN links for a US perspective occasionally.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes