Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Apostrophe Rule Abuse Game

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:48 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Oi, Mr BS! I go to all the effort of d/l'ing these pics from my phone and you haven't awarded me my points yet! :)

3-1 DG. :D

They're good ones. I keep spotting them all over the shop but I'm usually driving at the time so aren't able to take pics. One day I'll actually walk past an example of apostrophe abuse, then you'll be in trouble! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:49 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:3-1 DG. :D

Thank you. :D

They're good ones. I keep spotting them all over the shop but I'm usually driving at the time so aren't able to take pics. One day I'll actually walk past an example of apostrophe abuse, then you'll be in trouble! :lol:

Pah, bad loser! ;)

Do I get a prize if I win?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:3-1 DG. :D

Thank you. :D

Pah, bad loser! ;)

Do I get a prize if I win?

I'll serve you up some nice cock au van.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:53 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I'll serve you up some nice cock au van.

Aah, a romantic meal, how lovely. :)

Or did I misunderstand?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:21 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Oh, you cheat, you! :lol: Just go to the nearest garage, they're bound to have a sign up advertising MOT's! :wink:

It's actually a shock when you pass one and there's not a superfluous apostrophe there! :lol:

Like this one?

Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Okay, I'm taking this thread too seriously, but it's not like I spent all weekend looking... these were all in the same road, taken in the space of about twenty minutes! :lol: In fact, there were so many missing apostrophes that I got bored of taking photos of them and gave up. I obviously just don't have the dedication needed to be a member of the 'Apostrophe Appreciation Society' (which reminds me - did anyone see the Pylon Appreciation Society on Countryfile yesterday?).

Anyway, here goes... two in the first one:

Image Image

Two in this next one too - or possibly three, but as I don't know wtf 'tussie-mussies' are, I couldn't tell you if it's plural or possessive. :shock:

Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:34 pm

Meadows isn't necessarily incorrect. Meadows could be the full last name.

So it's not Meadow's but Meadows Surveyors.

I suppose the same could be said for Whites Pharmacy but that wouldn't make much sense.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:36 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Meadows isn't necessarily incorrect. Meadows could be the full last name.

I suppose the same could be said for Whites Pharmacy but that wouldn't make much sense.

Very true. If so, though, it was one of the only grammatically correct signs in the whole street. :lol:

OMG, how sad am I? :roll: I know, it's bad...
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:37 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Meadows isn't necessarily incorrect. Meadows could be the full last name.

Very true. If so, though, it was one of the only grammatically correct signs in the whole street. :lol:

Apparently they all had the same mis-educated sign maker!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Agides » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:41 pm

Looking at the 'Geralds' sign, the space between the 'd' and the 's' at the end seems to be a bit wider than anywhere else, so perhaps they left a big enough gap to put an apostrophe in if they decided they needed one at a later date!!
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:42 pm

Agides wrote:Looking at the 'Geralds' sign, the space between the 'd' and the 's' at the end seems to be a bit wider than anywhere else, so perhaps they left a big enough gap to put an apostrophe in if they decided they needed one at a later date!!

Maybe they put one in, but painted it out after realising that no one else had one! Maybe they didn't want to buck the trend. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Agides » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Agides wrote:Looking at the 'Geralds' sign, the space between the 'd' and the 's' at the end seems to be a bit wider than anywhere else, so perhaps they left a big enough gap to put an apostrophe in if they decided they needed one at a later date!!

Maybe they put one in, but painted it out after realising that no one else had one! Maybe they didn't want to buck the trend. :lol:

You're right - an apostrophe would definitely have spoilt the ambiance!! :lol:
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:00 am

Hehe, this is a walk over! Great pics DG, it must be like, 10-1 to you now! It should be easy enough for me to take a picture of any Morrisons store though shouldn't it, to get some points back... :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:36 am

Dorset Girl wrote:

:lol:

It seems to be accepted common usage to allow names of shops, etc, to have no apostrophe. Big brands like Selfridges, Harrods, Woolworths, Currys, etc, have all dropped the apostrophe over time. Part of a simplification of the logo, i suppose. Not sure if Morrisons, as Mr BS mentioned, ever used one. The likes of Sainsbury's, Macy's, Mcdonald's, etc, may drop them in the future.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:16 am

Hehe, found this in the archives on the Times Online website: Harrods told to put its apostrophe back
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:21 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Hehe, found this in the archives on the Times Online website: Harrods told to put its apostrophe back

:lol: Excellent! You're right though, it does seem to be accepted practice. That's why I gave up taking photos. When we first got to Exmouth, I was just looking at the signs idly, plus it was a good way of annoying hubby to keep suddenly saying something about apostrophes. :lol: After a short while, though, I just couldn't be bothered any more, it was too easy. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:27 am

Thought I'd resurrect this as I've actually managed to snap a couple of culprits! :lol:

Tut tut, is that a Ford dealership with shit grammar skills? :wink:

Bah, how are our kids supposed to learn the rule when the adults can’t get it right? :x Numbers and acronyms seem to get the most apostrophe abuse, for some reason.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Under 5's what? :?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:21 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Under 5's what? :?

:? Not sure what you're asking here Cat.

That pic is taken from a kids' ball pool in which no one over the age of 5 is allowed. I.E. "Under 5s Only".

The reason I took the pic was because it has an apostrophe where there shouldn't be one. :)
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Karin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:45 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:

That pic is taken from a kids' ball pool in which no one over the age of 5 is allowed. I.E. "Under 5s Only".

The reason I took the pic was because it has an apostrophe where there shouldn't be one. :)

Actually it wasn't exactly clear for me either that it meant "only under 5 year olds" :oops: . First I thought it might refer to the size, i.e. people only under 5 feet tall were allowed. Sorry, that probably doesn't make a lot of sense… But I can see that the apostrophe shouldn't be there, either way :)
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:30 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:

I knew why you posted it. I was questioning what the sign writer meant...I mean I know what the sign writer REALLY meant but I was just being a smart ass! Like 5 was the name of a person or somesuch. Under 5's Feet? Under 5's Skirt? Like that.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:31 am

Karin wrote:Actually it wasn't exactly clear for me either that it meant "only under 5 year olds" :oops: . First I thought it might refer to the size, i.e. people only under 5 feet tall were allowed. Sorry, that probably doesn't make a lot of sense… But I can see that the apostrophe shouldn't be there, either way :)

Sorry, yeah, obviously because I was there I knew exactly what it meant! :lol: I know what you mean; it could be interpreted another way.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:11 pm

Not apostrophe related, but still grammar - someone please tell me where the full stop goes when using quotation marks - inside or outside the quotes? I've never been able to get my head around that rule! Ta. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:15 pm

Puncuation goes inside the quotes.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:19 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Puncuation goes inside the quotes.

Ta. You're a mine of useful information this afternoon Cat. :D
Dorset Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes