Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Theory of Time

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Do the past, present and future run parallel?

Yes, I think they do
No votes
No, I think the past is over and done with and the future is still to come
87%
Unsure
No votes
Unsure, but leaning towards yes
13%
Unsure, but leaning towards no
No votes

Total votes : 15

Theory of Time

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun May 27, 2007 8:19 pm

I have this idea that the past, present and future all run together at the same time, in three parallel lines. So right now, we're in the present, but all the events of the past are also happening, and the future is also happening. There's this quote from Slaughterhouse 5:

"The most important thing I learned on Tralfamadore was that when a person dies he only appears to die. He is still very much alive in the past...All moments, past, present and future, always have existed."

Does anyone agree?

I'm unsure, but leaning towards yes.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Wezzo » Sun May 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Nope
Wezzo

Postby welshben23 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:52 pm

No, no and nope.
welshben23

Postby DHP » Sun May 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Nope.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Pisa32 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Sorry, but no!
Pisa32

Postby Rodge » Sun May 27, 2007 10:16 pm

Not a chance!
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Seek_Help_from_an_M.D. » Sun May 27, 2007 11:32 pm

I said No, but I do think about it.
Wow, between school and basketball, when am I...going to be able to watch Frasier!!! Oh, don't worry I'll make time.
Seek_Help_from_an_M.D.

Postby DHP » Sun May 27, 2007 11:40 pm

I think this poll is just a scam by BN. He's gonna wait until a few more people have voted, then change the question to "do you like Ham Radio enough to have it triumph over My Coffee With Niles?" and then close it.

:lol:
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Wezzo » Sun May 27, 2007 11:43 pm

DHP wrote:I think this poll is just a scam by BN. He's gonna wait until a few more people have voted, then change the question to "do you like Ham Radio enough to have it triumph over My Coffee With Niles?" and then close it.

:lol: Best plan ever.
Wezzo

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun May 27, 2007 11:51 pm

DHP wrote:I think this poll is just a scam by BN. He's gonna wait until a few more people have voted, then change the question to "do you like Ham Radio enough to have it triumph over My Coffee With Niles?" and then close it.

Well, BN, I said we couldn't fool them...
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon May 28, 2007 2:06 am

You've given me an idea...

:wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon May 28, 2007 2:08 am

Wezzo wrote:

:lol: Best plan ever.

Works for me.

And the past is the past.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Stratman » Mon May 28, 2007 10:40 am

No way.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon May 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:You've given me an idea...

You're far too good and honest to do such an underhanded thing...aren't you? :shock:

Bee Gees Fan

Postby ouroboros » Wed May 30, 2007 2:54 pm

Tsk BGF I thought you were a Back to the Future fan?

Doc Brown: "It means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you".

Oh - so my answer's no.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed May 30, 2007 2:55 pm

ouroboros wrote:Tsk BGF I thought you were a Back to the Future fan?

Doc Brown: "It means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you".

Oh - so my answer's no.

I am!

Bee Gees Fan

Postby ouroboros » Wed May 30, 2007 2:59 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
ouroboros wrote:Tsk BGF I thought you were a Back to the Future fan?

Oh - so my answer's no.

I am!

8-)

But if you are leaning towards this theory then surely the newspapers etc that Doc/Marty brought back from the future wouldn't have been able to change, events couldn't change regardless of their intervention if the past, present and future all ran parallel?

Or am the only one who get's my life philosophies from the movies? :oops:
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed May 30, 2007 3:29 pm

ouroboros wrote:8-)

But if you are leaning towards this theory then surely the newspapers etc that Doc/Marty brought back from the future wouldn't have been able to change, events couldn't change regardless of their intervention if the past, present and future all ran parallel?

There's an alternate reality where the logistics of time are different! :)

I really believe in alternate realities.

Who else voted for "Unsure, but leaning towards yes"?

Bee Gees Fan

Re: Theory of Time

Postby Sideshow Meg » Wed May 30, 2007 3:41 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I have this idea that the past, present and future all run together at the same time, in three parallel lines. So right now, we're in the present, but all the events of the past are also happening, and the future is also happening. There's this quote from Slaughterhouse 5:

"The most important thing I learned on Tralfamadore was that when a person dies he only appears to die. He is still very much alive in the past...All moments, past, present and future, always have existed."

Does anyone agree?

I'm unsure, but leaning towards yes.

No, sorry. I don't believe in the idea that the future already exists, I believe it occurs as a result of the present, rather than being pre-destined.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby ouroboros » Wed May 30, 2007 4:06 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
ouroboros wrote:8-)

There's an alternate reality where the logistics of time are different! :)

:lol: fine!
ouroboros

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed May 30, 2007 4:13 pm

ouroboros wrote::lol: fine!

Do you believe in alternate realities? I'm pretty sure they exist.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby ouroboros » Wed May 30, 2007 4:57 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
ouroboros wrote::lol: fine!

Do you believe in alternate realities? I'm pretty sure they exist.

If you mean an alternate reality with different laws, concepts etc to our own then no. If you mean like a parrallel universe where all possible options are played out then... actually also no. Sorry :)

However both are interesting ideas. Then again I don't know if I like the idea of a parallel me having a worse or indeed better time of it than this me!
ouroboros

Postby tubalcain » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Theory of time?
Time travel.
If it was possible then we would be doing it.
tubalcain

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:13 pm

tubalcain wrote:If it was possible then we would be doing it.

Not necessarily. It may be that it is possible, but that we don't yet know how to do it.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:10 pm

I guess I voted in this poll but I don't remember what I voted for! Perhaps I can go back in time and find out or maybe change my vote! :lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Next

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes