Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Sonic The Hedgehog Vs The Mario Brothers

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Sonic The Hedgehog
36%
The Mario Brothers
64%

Total votes : 22

Postby Stratman » Sat May 26, 2007 6:26 am

So, which franchise do you prefer?

For me, Sonic wins by a landslide. The Mario franchise is, arguably, a slightly more challenging experience, but the wild inventivenes, graphics and personality of Sonic elevate it way above those two plumbers with the lame background music.
Stratman

Postby Paul B » Sat May 26, 2007 6:35 am

Mario, definitely. The games are so much more innovative than simply speeding your way through levels with the ">" button. With its fresh spin-offs, witty characters and varied gameplay, Mario is my #1 choice, not just over Sonic, but as my favourite video game franchise.
Paul B

Postby Stratman » Sat May 26, 2007 8:08 am

Paul B wrote:Mario, definitely. The games are so much more innovative than simply speeding your way through levels with the ">" button.

It always pisses me off when people say that, it's absolutely not the case...
Stratman

Postby Wezzo » Sat May 26, 2007 8:15 am

I'd take Crash Bandicoot over both any day! Boo-yah!
Wezzo

Postby Paul B » Sat May 26, 2007 9:05 am

Stratman wrote:
Paul B wrote:Mario, definitely. The games are so much more innovative than simply speeding your way through levels with the ">" button.

Well that's the majority of it anyway. I can't think of any other memorable features...
Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat May 26, 2007 9:05 am

Wezzo wrote:I'd take Crash Bandicoot over both any day! Boo-yah!

I highly doubt Crash will be popular in 20 years, to be honest. :P Plus, each game since CTR has been pretty poor...
Paul B

Postby Stratman » Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 am

Paul B wrote:
Stratman wrote:

Well that's the majority of it anyway. I can't think of any other memorable features...

The best example would be the scrambled egg zone. Remember that one?
Stratman

Postby Paul B » Sat May 26, 2007 9:10 am

Stratman wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Stratman wrote:

No. However I do have many wonderful memories of certain Mario levels... :)
Paul B

Postby Stratman » Sat May 26, 2007 9:19 am

Paul B wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Stratman wrote:

How could one forget the same level played over and over. :wink:
Stratman

Postby Wezzo » Sat May 26, 2007 9:22 am

Paul B wrote:
Wezzo wrote:I'd take Crash Bandicoot over both any day! Boo-yah!

I highly doubt Crash will be popular in 20 years, to be honest. :P Plus, each game since CTR has been pretty poor...

There have been a few bad ones. But Crash 2, Crash 3 and CTR would all be in my top 10 videogames of all-time.
Wezzo

Postby Paul B » Sat May 26, 2007 9:48 am

Stratman wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Stratman wrote:

How could one forget the same level played over and over. :wink:

Sure, but at least you can admire your surroundings, and put the controller to good use! :twisted: Besides, Mario games have changed significantly since its early days. The upcoming Wii game looks innovative and exciting. As for the next-gen Sonic games, you just have to look at the piss-poor reviews...
Paul B

Postby DHP » Sat May 26, 2007 11:18 am

I agree, Mario has not only been a constant bestseller (as has Sonic, in fairness) but it's also been loved by the critics, with Mariokart, MarioWorld and Mario 64 still on most multi-platform top games of all time.

Mario's the best for me, because as with everything Nintendo does, innovation and varied gameplay are the order of the day. Mario for me.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat May 26, 2007 12:00 pm

Mario, by miles. They have loads to do and discover, and level design that's second to none.

Sonic was fun for about five minutes but got old pretty quick.
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat May 26, 2007 1:54 pm

Most definitely Sonic, I was always proud of being able to complete Greenhill Zone 3 in 39 seconds, which includes killing Robotnick! :P That will mean nothing to people who haven't played it...

I remember when I first got Sonic, I'd had a ZX Spectrum prior to that, and the difference in graphics - wow! Nowadays you could fit about 20 Sega games on to a measly floppy disk, who'd have thought it?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat May 26, 2007 2:00 pm

I've never played either, but I used to think Sonic was very cute.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Sat May 26, 2007 2:17 pm

ryme-intrinseca wrote:Most definitely Sonic, I was always proud of being able to complete Greenhill Zone 3 in 39 seconds, which includes killing Robotnick! :P That will mean nothing to people who haven't played it...

Actually, I think to people who haven't played it, it will mean something. It'll mean that the lifespan of the levels is so short as to be ridiculous.
DHP

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat May 26, 2007 2:24 pm

DHP wrote:
ryme-intrinseca wrote:Most definitely Sonic, I was always proud of being able to complete Greenhill Zone 3 in 39 seconds, which includes killing Robotnick! :P That will mean nothing to people who haven't played it...

Actually, I think to people who haven't played it, it will mean something. It'll mean that the lifespan of the levels is so short as to be ridiculous.

:lol: Okay, you could look at it like that if you want to! You can have up to ten minutes to complete each level, and if you don't do it within that time, Sonic dies. But it's okay, cuz if you find a TV with Sonic's picture in it, you can get a new life. Wish it was as simple as that in real life.

To be honest, I have never played Mario. I was about 14 when I got my Sega, and it was one of those situations where you were either a Sega fan or Nintendo... no 'in between!' There were other secret rules like that when I was growing up too - Kylie & Jason OR Bros OR Michael Jackson, Pepsi OR Coke. Was that the same for everyone, or was my school weird? :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:44 pm

I have played lots of games from both franchises. I love both but Sonic wins for me, just.
welshben23

Postby DHP » Sat May 26, 2007 2:53 pm

ryme-intrinseca wrote:
DHP wrote:

:lol: Okay, you could look at it like that if you want to! You can have up to ten minutes to complete each level, and if you don't do it within that time, Sonic dies. But it's okay, cuz if you find a TV with Sonic's picture in it, you can get a new life. Wish it was as simple as that in real life.

To be honest, I have never played Mario. I was about 14 when I got my Sega, and it was one of those situations where you were either a Sega fan or Nintendo... no 'in between!' There were other secret rules like that when I was growing up too - Kylie & Jason OR Bros OR Michael Jackson, Pepsi OR Coke. Was that the same for everyone, or was my school weird? :lol:

We had rules where you had to be Nintendo or Sega fans, and couldn't be both. The others went out the window as my primary and secondary schools were pretty rough Manchester schools, and so you didn't get to choose as much really, as the rules were things like "if you slag off United, your life won't be worth living" and "don't do anything gay." I remember that second rule came into effect quite powerfully when a 14-year-old girl came out of the closet, and got ran out of the school by 200-300 other students. Ahhhhhhh, the tolerance of teenagers. :D Strangely enough, we didn't hear about anyone else being gay after that... quite a few people came out at uni, but everyone was as straight as could be during high school!
DHP

Postby Stratman » Sat May 26, 2007 3:01 pm

DHP wrote:

Clearly you've never really played the game then, Zone 3 is a whole different ball game to Zone 1 and 2.
Stratman

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat May 26, 2007 7:22 pm

Mario was the best, imo. Great fun. They were both pretty repetitive to an extent, but Mario was more fun. Neither beats Manic Miner and Jetset Willy though.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby DHP » Sat May 26, 2007 10:05 pm

Stratman wrote:
DHP wrote:

Clearly you've never really played the game then, Zone 3 is a whole different ball game to Zone 1 and 2.

I played all the Mega Drive incarnations, as my next-door neighbour had them. They were great 2-player games, loads of fun, but I agree with everyone else that as 1-players, they were pretty easy. Just about holding 'right' and pressing one of the other buttons every now and again. It says a lot about what you can do with the character when all the other buttons do the same thing - jump. That was how it was on the first game anyway. I know there were a few more tricks as the games progressed, but not as much variation as in the Mario games.
DHP

Postby Stratman » Sun May 27, 2007 2:22 am

I may have to revisit Mario then, all I seem to remember is flat corridors with a few easy to kill monsters, maybe I'm way off, it has been a while.
Stratman

Postby Locke117 » Sun May 27, 2007 10:21 am

its got to be sonic in his older games as they are some of the best games i have seen . Marios a plumber he cant do anything but fix drains
Locke117

Postby Pisa32 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 am

Locke117 wrote:its got to be sonic in his older games as they are some of the best games i have seen . Marios a plumber he cant do anything but fix drains

Mario all the way! He may be a plumber but the games are damn fun. Sonic is ok I guess, haven't played the games that much.
Pisa32

Next

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes