Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Console War - Generation 5

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Best present-day console (as of April 2007)

Microsoft XBox 360
21%
Nintendo Wii
50%
Sony PlayStation 3
29%

Total votes : 14

Console War - Generation 5

Postby DHP » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:42 pm

Here we go, final round... what's the best of the latest and greatest consoles?
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby me123 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:04 pm

I tyhing the PS3 will be great when I get it (which will be a while) but I voted for the Wii, purely because it so innovative, imaginative, and it's much healthier.
me123

Postby Wezzo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:21 pm

me123 wrote:I tyhing the PS3 will be great when I get it (which will be a while) but I voted for the Wii, purely because it so innovative, imaginative, and it's much healthier.

^ This

(Though I don't like the healthy part ;) )
Wezzo

Postby DHP » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:26 pm

PS3 for me. The games don't look as special at the moment as those on the Wii, but it'll have a couple of killer titles soon with GTA:IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo HD and whatever the next installment of Final Fantasy turns out to be. Even to me, those aren't as wonderful as the likes of Zelda or MarioKart, but it got my vote as it's currently also a cheap Blu-Ray player. I'm a big DVD/film buff, and I'm pretty sure that if there is going to be a format to dethrone DVD, it'll be Blu-Ray.

Pretty much the reason I first bought my PS2 as well - it was a cheap DVD player, and the games weren't bad.
DHP

Postby me123 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:46 pm

Wezzo wrote:
me123 wrote:I tyhing the PS3 will be great when I get it (which will be a while) but I voted for the Wii, purely because it so innovative, imaginative, and it's much healthier.

^ This

I have to say that: I'm on a healthy eating comittee (somewhat ironic, but I am).
me123

Postby welshben23 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:03 pm

Xbox 360 for me, because of the brilliant online multiplayer. I do love my Wii though.
welshben23

Postby welshben23 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:06 pm

DHP wrote:PS3 for me. The games don't look as special at the moment as those on the Wii, but it'll have a couple of killer titles soon with GTA:IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo HD and whatever the next installment of Final Fantasy turns out to be. Even to me, those aren't as wonderful as the likes of Zelda or MarioKart, but it got my vote as it's currently also a cheap Blu-Ray player. I'm a big DVD/film buff, and I'm pretty sure that if there is going to be a format to dethrone DVD, it'll be Blu-Ray.

Pretty much the reason I first bought my PS2 as well - it was a cheap DVD player, and the games weren't bad.

But its main use should be as a games console and many developers are saying that Blu-Ray is just too slow and loads of games are having awful frame rate problems. Also GTA:IV is coming to the 360 too, Gran Turismo HD is basically a tech demo. MGS4 is the only game I will miss by not having a PS3. I am not a Xbox fanboy by the way, I had a PS1 and PS2.
welshben23

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:07 pm

PS3 because I can play my old PS games on it and I can play Guitar Hero!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:09 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:PS3 because I can play my old PS games on it and I can play Guitar Hero!

You can also play Guitar Hero 2 with a better guitar on the 360.
welshben23

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:15 pm

welshben23 wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:PS3 because I can play my old PS games on it and I can play Guitar Hero!

Yeah, but I can't play the old PS games I have on 360. And I love some of my old PS games.

At this rate, if I actually go out and buy a Next Gen console, it will either be a PS3 or a Wii because of the backward capability of them. I presently have an original PS and a GameCube.
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:18 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
welshben23 wrote:

Yeah, but I can't play the old PS games I have on 360. And I love some of my old PS games.

At this rate, if I actually go out and buy a Next Gen console, it will either be a PS3 or a Wii because of the backward capability of them. I presently have an original PS and a GameCube.

I understand, but I would not buy a £400 (dont know how much in dollars) console just to play old PS games. The graphics would be hideous to what they are nowadays. The games are much more interesting these days too.
welshben23

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:39 pm

welshben23 wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
welshben23 wrote:

I understand, but I would not buy a £400 (dont know how much in dollars) console just to play old PS games. The graphics would be hideous to what they are nowadays. The games are much more interesting these days too.

The ability to play the old games is just a plus. I wouldn't buy it JUST to play the old games. I can play the old games on the old console! I like some of the PS3 games and some of the Wii games too. The reason I wouldn't buy and XBox is because it would mean buying ALL new games that wouldn't be compatible with anything I already own.

The PS3 is $600.00. I'm not getting one any time soon! Before I get any new console (PS3 or a Wii) I'm getting a laptop and probably a new TV. That's about $2000.00 right there. (hence the reason I have neither a new TV or a laptop!)
CatNamedRudy

Postby Wezzo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm

me123 wrote:
Wezzo wrote:

^ This

I have to say that: I'm on a healthy eating comittee (somewhat ironic, but I am).

Oh dear! :) I am.. not the biggest fan of healthy eating.
Wezzo

Postby DHP » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:06 am

welshben23 wrote:
DHP wrote:PS3 for me. The games don't look as special at the moment as those on the Wii, but it'll have a couple of killer titles soon with GTA:IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo HD and whatever the next installment of Final Fantasy turns out to be. Even to me, those aren't as wonderful as the likes of Zelda or MarioKart, but it got my vote as it's currently also a cheap Blu-Ray player. I'm a big DVD/film buff, and I'm pretty sure that if there is going to be a format to dethrone DVD, it'll be Blu-Ray.

But its main use should be as a games console and many developers are saying that Blu-Ray is just too slow and loads of games are having awful frame rate problems. Also GTA:IV is coming to the 360 too, Gran Turismo HD is basically a tech demo. MGS4 is the only game I will miss by not having a PS3. I am not a Xbox fanboy by the way, I had a PS1 and PS2.

You can't really say what its main use should be if it's got more than one function. The main use will vary depending on the wants and needs of the buyer. Given the fact that the cheapest standalone Blu-Ray player retails at £899.99, the PS3 is to me a bargain Blu-Ray player that also happens to play decent games. Yeah, you can get them on other formats, but not formats that come with a bargain Blu-Ray player thrown in.
DHP

Postby me123 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:54 am

Wezzo wrote:
me123 wrote:
Wezzo wrote:

^ This

Oh dear! :) I am.. not the biggest fan of healthy eating.

Healthy eating's not bad, it's just the exercise that's the problem!
me123

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:22 am

The Wii. It's so much fun, and to me that's what gaming's all about - I couldn't give two hoots about fancy DVD drives and extensive online options. I just want games that give me a good time. I'll never judge a console based on its 'extras' - it's all about the games.

It's just a shame I had to sell my Wii to raise some cash. The minute I'm solvent again it'll be the first thing on my 'to buy (again)' list!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:38 pm

DHP wrote:
welshben23 wrote:

You can't really say what its main use should be if it's got more than one function. The main use will vary depending on the wants and needs of the buyer. Given the fact that the cheapest standalone Blu-Ray player retails at £899.99, the PS3 is to me a bargain Blu-Ray player that also happens to play decent games. Yeah, you can get them on other formats, but not formats that come with a bargain Blu-Ray player thrown in.

Bit of an aside this, but i was in Curry's a couple of weeks ago, and they were selling their Samsung Blu-ray DVD players for £399 - down from £799!!! Mental cheap (relatively), so quickly, i thought.

I think you're right about the multi-function aspect of PS3 - that's why i initially bought my PS2. I think it's a very relevant reason.

welshben23 wrote:Xbox 360 for me, because of the brilliant online multiplayer.

You could pull apart the argument for buying a 360 because of it's online multiplayer functionality, simply by saying that you may as well use a PC, which has infinitely more online users to play against than any 360 game out there.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:39 pm

By the way, i voted Wii, because it must be the most innovative creation of the three.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby DHP » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:24 pm

Good call on backing the Wii. Who'd have thought a couple of years ago that Nintendo would be back where they belong? Just goes to show that being consistently innovative is the way to go, rather than "ooh, how can we make this look more real?"

Having said that, still rather fond of my PS3.
DHP

Postby Stratman » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:38 am

Bad Ambassador wrote:The Wii. It's so much fun, and to me that's what gaming's all about - I couldn't give two hoots about fancy DVD drives and extensive online options. I just want games that give me a good time. I'll never judge a console based on its 'extras' - it's all about the games.

And that's why the wii sucks balls.

Ideally I'd vote for both the PS3 and the 360 as they are essentially the same thing with a few minor differences, but as I own a 360 and know the online system is a lot better I'll give a shout out to the 360.
Stratman

Postby DHP » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Stratman wrote:
Bad Ambassador wrote:The Wii. It's so much fun, and to me that's what gaming's all about - I couldn't give two hoots about fancy DVD drives and extensive online options. I just want games that give me a good time. I'll never judge a console based on its 'extras' - it's all about the games.

Ideally I'd vote for both the PS3 and the 360 as they are essentially the same thing with a few minor differences, but as I own a 360 and know the online system is a lot better I'll give a shout out to the 360.

Despite owning a PS3 (and not regretting that decision for a moment) and having played regularly on mates' 360s, I gotta say that Wii currently has the better catalogue of quality games that put long-term gameplay ahead of trying to have the fanciest graphics, because Nintendo have always been smart enough to know that having the best graphics lasts about as long as owning the best mobile phone.

However, the PS3 is currently improving its catalogue of top-quality titles, so I'm hopeful it'll become the console of choice within the next year or two. Even if it doesn't, it's still the cheapest upgradeable Blu-ray player out there (as bottom-price Blu-ray players can't be upgraded and don't play more recent Blu-ray extras, such as pip features or Blu-ray Java).
DHP

Postby Paul B » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:42 pm

PS3s and Wiis won't die in less than a year either
Paul B

Postby Stratman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:40 pm

DHP wrote:
Stratman wrote:

Despite owning a PS3 (and not regretting that decision for a moment) and having played regularly on mates' 360s, I gotta say that Wii currently has the better catalogue of quality games that put long-term gameplay ahead of trying to have the fanciest graphics, because Nintendo have always been smart enough to know that having the best graphics lasts about as long as owning the best mobile phone.

After browsing the wikipedia wii game list, I'm quite sure most of those games could run on those top line mobile phones. But seriously, from my perspective the back catalogue is absolutely dire. And I'd argue long and hard on the long-term gameplay point, I seriously doubt any of those games have the true longevity of a top shelf online game like Call Of Duty 4 or Halo 3, the ingenius achievements challenges of the 360 is another wii killer in my books.
Stratman

Postby DHP » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Stratman wrote:
DHP wrote:
Stratman wrote:

After browsing the wikipedia wii game list, I'm quite sure most of those games could run on those top line mobile phones. But seriously, from my perspective the back catalogue is absolutely dire. And I'd argue long and hard on the long-term gameplay point, I seriously doubt any of those games have the true longevity of a top shelf online game like Call Of Duty 4 or Halo 3, the ingenius achievements challenges of the 360 is another wii killer in my books.

Gameplay isn't a measure of the graphics or the lifespan of a game. Some of the shortest and simplest-looking games in existence have had some of the most incredible gameplay in history.
DHP

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes