Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Smoking

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Do you, or have you ever, smoked?

Yes, I smoke a lot!
8%
Yes, I smoke a lot but want to cut down
4%
Yes, I smoke, but not too much
16%
Yes, I smoke, but I want to quit
No votes
I am trying to quit
No votes
I tried some and didn't like it
No votes
No, but I used to smoke
8%
No, but I want to
No votes
No, I'm not bothered
No votes
No, and I don't want to!!!
64%

Total votes : 25

Postby me123 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:03 pm

ouroboros wrote:I smoke a lot unfortunately, yet I didn't vote for wanted to cut down because, I don't know, right now I don't. It's relaxing and I love one with my pint but alas no more as of July 1st :cry:

We have had a ban in Scotland for some time and it's proving to be a good idea, because I don't like people somking in my face: i feel it should be restricted completely to people's homes I'm afraid to say.

Actually, most smokers up here are fairly happy becuase 1) they get outside more and 2) it's helped them cut out smoking, or at least reduce it which is good on all sides (although they probably think mostly financially).
me123

Postby Rodge » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:27 pm

ouroboros wrote: It's relaxing and I love one with my pint but alas no more as of July 1st :cry:

Get your pub to do what mine is doing and build a marquee/gazebo style extension somewhere. As long as it does not have 3 full walls then it will be allowed to be a smoking zone. The only problem will be that you have to get there early to get a seat, but hey life can be hard :D
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:30 pm

me123 wrote:We have had a ban in Scotland for some time and it's proving to be a good idea, because I don't like people somking in my face: i feel it should be restricted completely to people's homes I'm afraid to say.

But why can we not have smokers only pubs! Non smokers can obviously join us if they choose, but it still gives a place for people who smoke to enjoy their pint. Town & village authorities would have to ensure that there is a non-smoking pub available in all areas, but at the same time allowing choice for smokers?
Rodge

Postby me123 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:28 pm

Rob wrote:
me123 wrote:We have had a ban in Scotland for some time and it's proving to be a good idea, because I don't like people somking in my face: i feel it should be restricted completely to people's homes I'm afraid to say.

But why can we not have smokers only pubs! Non smokers can obviously join us if they choose, but it still gives a place for people who smoke to enjoy their pint. Town & village authorities would have to ensure that there is a non-smoking pub available in all areas, but at the same time allowing choice for smokers?

A fair point. But, if you think about it, every pub would try to become smokers-only and then non-smokers (the majority) would still have to put up with passive smoking. Also, in my area, it's Rangers/Celtic clash mayhem all the time. There's usually a fight a week at least. The pubs are already segregated by football team and religion (well, protestant/catholic) so a further division is undesirable.

It is a flexible ban though. I went into Glasgow City today, and at the train station there was a new camapaign to stop people smoking under the canopy outside the station, a £50 fine on the spot. Didn't really work, and among the people enjoying a quick fag were people working in the station.
me123

Postby Pisa32 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:14 pm

Never have tried a cigarette, hopefully never will. I've always been apprehensive to even try, just in case I got addicted.
Pisa32

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Rob wrote:
ouroboros wrote: It's relaxing and I love one with my pint but alas no more as of July 1st :cry:

Get your pub to do what mine is doing and build a marquee/gazebo style extension somewhere. As long as it does not have 3 full walls then it will be allowed to be a smoking zone. The only problem will be that you have to get there early to get a seat, but hey life can be hard :D

That's how all the pubs in Dublin are. Most that I was in it didn't even seem like we were outside. The smoking ban certainly didn't seem to have any effect on the people I was with. Every Dubliner I met was smoking.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby me123 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:36 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Rob wrote:

That's how all the pubs in Dublin are. Most that I was in it didn't even seem like we were outside. The smoking ban certainly didn't seem to have any effect on the people I was with. Every Dubliner I met was smoking.

The problem in Ireland and Scotland is that it gets a wee bit wet pretty much all the time!
me123

Postby Rodge » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:54 pm

Pisa32 wrote:Never have tried a cigarette, hopefully never will. I've always been apprehensive to even try, just in case I got addicted.

Now that is a very sensible comment. Before you know it, you are £2000 a year down! :(
Rodge

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:55 pm

me123 wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
Rob wrote:

The problem in Ireland and Scotland is that it gets a wee bit wet pretty much all the time!

It pretty much rained the whole time we were there. It didn't matter though because the majority of the pubs we were in had a fixed roof in the smoking sections. Only one had an open area and that one had an awning that you could pull down to keep the rain off your head.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby me123 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:56 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
me123 wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
Rob wrote:

It pretty much rained the whole time we were there. It didn't matter though because the majority of the pubs we were in had a fixed roof in the smoking sections. Only one had an open area and that one had an awning that you could pull down to keep the rain off your head.

As I've said though, they're trying to be stricter. The canopy at Glasgow Central Station's only got one wall and it's non-smoking. At the same time, even more people smoke there.
me123

Postby Rodge » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:57 pm

me123 wrote:
Rob wrote:

A fair point. But, if you think about it, every pub would try to become smokers-only and then non-smokers (the majority) would still have to put up with passive smoking. Also, in my area, it's Rangers/Celtic clash mayhem all the time. There's usually a fight a week at least. The pubs are already segregated by football team and religion (well, protestant/catholic) so a further division is undesirable.

Yeah, I know and that's why 1 or 2 non-smoking pubs in any area is the priority and has to be put into place by the local authorities. (I'm sure there are enough non-smoking landlords out there who would go for that) but at the same time allow 1-2 pubs per area to be smoking
Rodge

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:21 pm

I'm on your side with this Rob. I don't smoke, but there's no way it should be a blanket ban on places like Pubs. How come people cry out for letting market forces prevail only when it suits them. If there's a market for non-smoking pubs, people will open them (pretty much like all these annoying chains that have kids play areas, for example. I'll go elsewhere, thank you, but i know they're handy places for some).

If people don't want to sit with smokers, don't go in a pub where smoking is allowed. Easy. Workers who don't want to work in a smoking pub, get a job in a non-smoking pub. There's room for everyone to have a place to go.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Rodge » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:33 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:If people don't want to sit with smokers, don't go in a pub where smoking is allowed. Easy. Workers who don't want to work in a smoking pub, get a job in a non-smoking pub. There's room for everyone to have a place to go.

As long as the authorities do ensure that there are places for non-smokers then why not?
Rodge

Postby me123 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:42 pm

Well, as much as I think that they are, on the surface, good ideas, they just won't work. The law's simple enough: no smoking in an enclosed public area. It's easy to remember, and easy to follow, and I don't want to inhale smoke.

The problem with your hypothesis comes when you consider people who can't get a job in a non-smoking pub and are forced to work smoking pubs which means they are forced to risk cancer. And, of course, it's like doubling the chances of smokers getting cancer (becasue they are passive smoking and normal smoking at the same time).

The only flexability I'm aware of are care homes, where smoking areas can be designated for residents. This is fair, because it is their home and not a public place, but still a workplace. So, carers cannot be forced to enter the room except in exceptional circumstances (eg a fire).

So a possible conclusion is a smoking room in a pub? Not really. Once again, the smoke's all in one area compounding the danger for the smokers beyond acceptable limits. And the smoke could easily filter through to nonsmokers.

The easy option is what they came up with. Case Study; my clarinet teacher used to smoke 2 packs a day. With the new laws in force, she only smokes a half pack, no more than one, per day. It is increasing her health and her financial state. And she smells less of smoke. And she isn't craving them when she has them in moderation. An interesting statistic is that, in Scotland, sales of Nicotine patches shot up at the period of the smoking ban being put in force, so it improves health we would assume. And number of smokers must have decreased.

Again, back to geriatrics, a lot of these smokers are the elderly who, when they started, had no clue of the dangers. they are addicted and will eventually come off them. But the figures will again decrease when their time has passed (which is coming pretty soon) so we're left with a few teenagers and adults. Again, when the adult's time has passed (about 50 years time) the figures will have fallen.

Of course, I have thus far omitted uptake. Well, that's decreased as a direct result of media and increased awareness of the dangers. So, I can see smoking being very rare in about 100 years. So, what is the need for smoker's pubs, with the numbers of smokers effectively dwindeling?

I can see in the future a ban on cigarettes completely following the public places ban, putting it as a class B or C drug. It certainly has worse affects than a lot of recreational drugs. This will be a long way off, but if this is the case (and a bill will be propesed some day) there's no need to bother with smokers pubs.

Rant over.
me123

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:44 pm

As i mentioned, pub chains would most certainly be created that are either non-smoking and smoking, to cater to demand. If you have to obtain an extra licence, on top of the liquor licence, to run a smoking pub - which may cost a bit more - all fine and well. Just give people the choice.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Rodge » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:52 pm

me123 wrote:Well, as much as I think that they are, on the surface, good ideas, they just won't work. The law's simple enough: no smoking in an enclosed public area. It's easy to remember, and easy to follow, and I don't want to inhale smoke.

Nobody's asking you to, or forcing you to. You have that choice. In June smokers freedoms will be restricted.

me123 wrote:The problem with your hypothesis comes when you consider people who can't get a job in a non-smoking pub and are forced to work smoking pubs which means they are forced to risk cancer.
Absolute bollocks - who the hell is forcing them to?? Get a job in a park buddy!

me123 wrote:And, of course, it's like doubling the chances of smokers getting cancer (becasue they are passive smoking and normal smoking at the same time).
And that's your problem how -'butt' out.

me123 wrote:The easy option is what they came up with. Case Study; my clarinet teacher used to smoke 2 packs a day. With the new laws in force, she only smokes a half pack, no more than one, per day. It is increasing her health and her financial state. And she smells less of smoke. And she isn't craving them when she has them in moderation. An interesting statistic is that, in Scotland, sales of Nicotine patches shot up at the period of the smoking ban being put in force, so it improves health we would assume. And number of smokers must have decreased.

Again, back to geriatrics, a lot of these smokers are the elderly who, when they started, had no clue of the dangers. they are addicted and will eventually come off them. But the figures will again decrease when their time has passed (which is coming pretty soon) so we're left with a few teenagers and adults. Again, when the adult's time has passed (about 50 years time) the figures will have fallen.

Of course, I have thus far omitted uptake. Well, that's decreased as a direct result of media and increased awareness of the dangers. So, I can see smoking being very rare in about 100 years. So, what is the need for smoker's pubs, with the numbers of smokers effectively dwindeling?

You really are very offensive to smokers & your clarinet teacher. This is all about your personal disgust for smoking. If we choose to risk health and spend money then let us. It has bugger all to do with you. Now get off your high horse. Because I have had enough of Blair restricting my freedoms without others joining forces with him.
Rodge

Postby me123 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:31 pm

OK, that came out wrong. I certainly wasn't meant to offend anyone.

But I did have to inhale a lot of smoke from inconsiderate people on buses, cafes etc who insisted that they puff it in my direction. SOrry if I offended anyone, but I do hate smoking.
me123

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:39 pm

me123 wrote:The problem with your hypothesis comes when you consider people who can't get a job in a non-smoking pub and are forced to work smoking pubs which means they are forced to risk cancer.

I didn't realise it was mandatory to work in these places.

Do you go to pubs, me123? What if i don't like the possibility of being beaten up by drunken yobs when walking past a pub at certain times of the night. Rather than me not going near these places, maybe we should ban drinking in public places, too? It's certainly detrimental to my health to be glassed over the head by some dingbat.

If it's fumes you're worried about inhaling, i guess you don't go anywhere near places with roads either, in case you breath in all those dangerous exhaust fumes? No cars, no public transport, no electricity because of those smoke creating power stations. It's not particularly an attack on you, and i'm talking extremes in my points, but there's a lot more pollution in our air, than some peoples' cigarette smoke, in a pub.

I agree that smokers shouldn't foist their smoke on others, where there's no choice to be able to avoid it - but it is actually still legal to purchase them, so let's allow people who want to smoke to have a place of entertainment that they can go together to do it, imho.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:40 pm

me123 wrote:OK, that came out wrong. I certainly wasn't meant to offend anyone.

But I did have to inhale a lot of smoke from inconsiderate people on buses, cafes etc who insisted that they puff it in my direction. SOrry if I offended anyone, but I do hate smoking.

Lol, i think we guessed. It's fair enough - i'm no great fan of it, either, really. The smoking in public areas, where non smokers have to cohabit, is definitely wrong, i'd agee.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby me123 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:49 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

Lol, i think we guessed. It's fair enough - i'm no great fan of it, either, really. The smoking in public areas, where non smokers have to cohabit, is definitely wrong, i'd agee.

Thank You!
me123

Postby Rodge » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:06 pm

me123 wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

Thank You!

I also agree with this - as a smoker, when I am not smoking (when eating out) I do not like smoke blowing my way, but lets be fair and give us that choice! That's all I am asking :D
Rodge

Postby ouroboros » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:06 am

Tony Blair is a w*nker I agree.

Do you know from July 2008 they are stopping smoking in mental health establishments? So you have people contained to wards with anxiety and depression and god knows what else AND they're gonna be told 'oh by the way sorry you can't smoke'.

Aren't they still keeping a smoking area in Parliament anyway?

Hypocritical c*cksuckers
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby me123 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:07 pm

ouroboros wrote:Do you know from July 2008 they are stopping smoking in mental health establishments? So you have people contained to wards with anxiety and depression and god knows what else AND they're gonna be told 'oh by the way sorry you can't smoke'.

I can see what they're thinking, but quitting and dealing with mental health issues is not the way to go: they should be handled seperately and given the necessary support through both stages, and free NRT of that is their choice to quit.
me123

Postby Mayday Malone » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Still, I won't mind the ban when it comes into force. Be interesting to see what my three housemates think being all smokers.
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
Mayday Malone

Postby Leanne » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:05 pm

Joey: Don't you have any respect for your body?
Ross: Don't you realize what you're doing to yourself?
Chandler: I've had it with you guys and your cancer, your emphysema and your heart disease. The bottom line is, smoking is cool, and you know it.

:lol:

The smoking ban won't have much of an effect on me. I can't smoke when I go out anyway because almost none of my friends smoke. (I hate smoking around people that don't.) Still don't agree with it though - I think there should be a choice, some pubs/bars should allow smoking and some should be smoke-free.
Leanne

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes