Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Red Dwarf vs. Futurama

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Red Dwarf vs. Futurama

Futurama
54%
Red Dwarf
46%

Total votes : 13

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:26 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:
Anyhow, it looks like the superior show has emerged triumphant!

I thought you'd only seen one episode of Red Dwarf? A bit early to call Futurama 'the superior show' isn't it?

Oh aye, and that was from the poor first series too, wasn't it?

I love the 2nd series, but I've always advised people to start at ep 1 of S3 (Backwards) as in many ways that feels like the 'beginning'.

I think Series 2 and 3 represent the show at the height of it's powers. Both series are completely different to one another in tone and feel - but there both equally hilarious IMO.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:31 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:
Anyhow, it looks like the superior show has emerged triumphant!

I thought you'd only seen one episode of Red Dwarf? A bit early to call Futurama 'the superior show' isn't it?

Oh aye, and that was from the poor first series too, wasn't it?

I love the 2nd series, but I've always advised people to start at ep 1 of S3 (Backwards) as in many ways that feels like the 'beginning'.

I think Series 2 and 3 represent the show at the height of it's powers. Both series are completely different to one another in tone and feel - but there both equally hilarious IMO.

Some of my favourite Dwarf episodes are from S2 - namely Queeg, Better Than Life and Thanks For The Memory.

Have you ever eaten a triple fried egg sandwich with chilli sauce and chutney btw, Cakey? I have! :lol: And yes, I did manage to eat it before the bread disolved!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:37 pm

It's been a while, but i remember Series 5 being my favourite. I maybe should have voted for RD over Futurama, on reflection, as I think it's best episodes are better - it was just that the worse episodes were really worse :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:It's been a while, but i remember Series 5 being my favourite. I maybe should have voted for RD over Futurama, on reflection, as I think it's best episodes are better - it was just that the worse episodes were really worse :D

I really prefer the tight, tense atmosphere to S6 on the Starbug, that was such a great idea. Every episode's a winner, too! I haven't seen all of Futurama, but I've seen enough average episodes to know RD has it beat, in terms of top quality episodes anyhow.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:45 pm

Some of my favourite Dwarf episodes are from S2 - namely Queeg, Better Than Life and Thanks For The Memory.

Queeg and Better than Life would both make my top 5 - along with 'Bodyswap', 'Polymorph' and 'Dimension Jump'.

Does anyone know what episode that bizzare 'Tongue Tied' song dream sequence is from?
Cake for Brains

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:46 pm

Have you ever eaten a triple fried egg sandwich with chilli sauce and chutney btw, Cakey? I have! And yes, I did manage to eat it before the bread disolved!

God no - was it nice? :)
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:48 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:

Queeg and Better than Life would both make my top 5 - along with 'Bodyswap', 'Polymorph' and 'Dimension Jump'.

Does anyone know what episode that bizzare 'Tongue Tied' song dream sequence is from?

It's the last episode in S2, the title of which escapes me! :oops: It's the one where they enter a parallel universe and meet their female equivalents (apart from Cat, obviously! :lol: )
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:49 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:

It's the last episode in S2, the title of which escapes me! :oops: It's the one where they enter a parallel universe and meet their female equivalents (apart from Cat, obviously! :lol: )

Ah yes, thanks for that. I can't remember the episode title either - decent episode, nonetheless.

Actually, the episode might be called 'Parallel Universe'? Don't think it is though!
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:52 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Have you ever eaten a triple fried egg sandwich with chilli sauce and chutney btw, Cakey? I have! And yes, I did manage to eat it before the bread disolved!

God no - was it nice? :)

Yummy! :lol:

When I lived on my own for a bit I did a shop one week consisting entirely of food mentioned on Red Dwarf (completely sad I know, I think I was going stir-crazy). Breakfast consisted of waffles with strawberries and fresh creme, with a sploge of maple syrup. And of course Lister's famous vindaloos!

The novelty soon wore off as I'm sure you can imagine.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:54 pm

When I lived on my own for a bit I did a shop one week consisting entirely of food mentioned on Red Dwarf (completely sad I know, I think I was going stir-crazy). Breakfast consisted of waffles with strawberries and fresh creme, with a sploge of maple syrup. And of course Lister's famous vindaloos!

:lol:

Don't tell me you used to eat vindaloos for breakfast?
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:

Ah yes, thanks for that. I can't remember the episode title either - decent episode, nonetheless.

Actually, the episode might be called 'Parallel Universe'? Don't think it is though!

Yes, that's it! I suppse the clue was in the description really wasn't it? :oops:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:56 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:

Don't tell me you used to eat vindaloos for breakfast?

Hell yes! Flat cold. Oh, and pizzas which tasted like rubber after I'd ordered far too much take-out the night before when pissed.

I was a bit of a health freak in those days. :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:58 pm

Hell yes! Flat cold. Oh, and pizzas which tasted like rubber after I'd ordered far too much take-out the night before when pissed.

O-kay... no offence, but I feel slightly sick! Cold curry, no... just no! :shock:

I was a bit of a health freak in those days.

I can tell. Still, at least you had strawberries on your waffles! :wink:
Cake for Brains

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Hell yes! Flat cold. Oh, and pizzas which tasted like rubber after I'd ordered far too much take-out the night before when pissed.

Mr Hunt would be proud of you.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:02 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:O-kay... no offence, but I feel slightly sick! Cold curry, no... just no! :shock:

All the nutrition you need for a bright start to the day. Bollocks to Corn Flakes!

Still, at least you had strawberries on your waffles! :wink:

I ate around them. They were just empty vitamins.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Hell yes! Flat cold. Oh, and pizzas which tasted like rubber after I'd ordered far too much take-out the night before when pissed.

Mr Hunt would be proud of you.

The nip of Scotch came much later in the day...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Wezzo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:14 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I ate around them. They were just empty vitamins.

Wezzo

Postby Pisa32 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:58 pm

Sorry to break up the...ahem..."interesting" discussion of last nights curry, but did any of you guys see series 7 or 8? Rimmer was taken out for a few episodes i believe (BIG mistake) and they like reunited with the crew or something. Man, it was total crap.
Pisa32

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:14 am

Pisa32 wrote:Sorry to break up the...ahem..."interesting" discussion of last nights curry, but did any of you guys see series 7 or 8? Rimmer was taken out for a few episodes i believe (BIG mistake) and they like reunited with the crew or something. Man, it was total crap.

Yeah, There were a few mistakes made for series 7 I think. Firstly, Rob Grant's omission from writing duties affected the quality of the scripts a great deal. I'm not sure of the circumstances behind this, but he was sadly missed. Secondly, they obviously felt the need to change the dynamic by introducing a female companion. This had not been necessary during the 'stellar years', although I suppose Hattie Hayridge filled a similar role in series 3-5. Personally, I don't see why they needed to upset the equilibrium. Thirdly, if they had to include Kochanski, why the hell not go with the excellent Claire Grogan who'd played the role in series 1 and 2? I never understood that decision and just couldn't take to Chloe Annett in the role.

What are your thoughts?
Mr Blue Sky

Re: Red Dwarf vs. Futurama

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:15 am

Moon-Crane wrote:There aren't many.. maybe Mork & Mindy

Mork and Mindy is great. So is Robin Williams. I saw Jumangi in a charity shop on Saturday; I considered buying it. It's a very good film.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Re: Red Dwarf vs. Futurama

Postby me123 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:18 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I saw Jumangi in a charity shop on Saturday; I considered buying it. It's a very good film.

Yes, it is a great film! Very kid-oriented but wonderful entertainment nonetheless. Robin Williams is a great actor, although there's a few of his films I don't like (down to scripts I have to say) and he's great in Jumangi.
me123

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:20 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Pisa32 wrote:Sorry to break up the...ahem..."interesting" discussion of last nights curry, but did any of you guys see series 7 or 8? Rimmer was taken out for a few episodes i believe (BIG mistake) and they like reunited with the crew or something. Man, it was total crap.

Yeah, There were a few mistakes made for series 7 I think. Firstly, Rob Grant's omission from writing duties affected the quality of the scripts a great deal. I'm not sure of the circumstances behind this, but he was sadly missed. Secondly, they obviously felt the need to change the dynamic by introducing a female companion. This had not been necessary during the 'stellar years', although I suppose Hattie Hayridge filled a similar role in series 3-5. Personally, I don't see why they needed to upset the equilibrium. Thirdly, if they had to include Kochanski, why the hell not go with the excellent Claire Grogan who'd played the role in series 1 and 2? I never understood that decision and just couldn't take to Chloe Annett in the role.

What are your thoughts?

I saw on the Series 7 DVD documentary that Rob Grant just got bored of doing Red Dwarf. Doug Naylor reccounts the events with bewilderment - he says that if anyone knows why Grant quit, then let him know, because he had no idea. It sounded like they don't stay in touch anyway. Naylor said that Grant was sick of writing things together, and wanted to write separate episodes - which he wasn't happy about it. It sounded to me like it just became overkill. Robert Llewellyn, who plays Kryten said that he (and the rest of the cast) didn't know what was going on at the time - and they'd always be lawyers around shouting. It's a good documentary - almost warrants buying Series 7.

Second question - they tried to get the original Kochanski back for Series 7, but she was unavailable.

I know you didn't ask me - but I knew the answers! :)
Cake for Brains

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:22 am

Thank God you got married! I'm sure your wife put a stop to that.

This thread has made me want to put jam on chips and see what it tastes like.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:25 am

Cake for Brains wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:

What are your thoughts?

I saw on the Series 7 DVD documentary that Rob Grant just got bored of doing Red Dwarf. Doug Naylor reccounts the events with bewilderment - he says that if anyone knows why Grant quit, then let him know, because he had no idea. It sounded like they don't stay in touch anyway. Naylor said that Grant was sick of writing things together, and wanted to write separate episodes - which he wasn't happy about it. It sounded to me like it just became overkill. Robert Llewellyn, who plays Kryten said that he (and the rest of the cast) didn't know what was going on at the time - and they'd always be lawyers around shouting. It's a good documentary - almost warrants buying Series 7.

Second question - they tried to get the original Kochanski back for Series 7, but she was unavailable.

I know you didn't ask me - but I knew the answers! :)

Very interesting, thankyou Cakey! I thought RG stayed as Producer for series 7 and 8? Or maybe it was just Grant/Naylor productions as a company in the credits.

That doco does indeed sound interesting. I love how you said it almost warrants buying S7! :lol: There are a couple of episodes I really like, particularly Stoke Me a Clipper.

Bloody hell, what on Earth could Claire Grogan have been so busy with to pass up a permanent role on Dwarf? :shock:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:27 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:

Thank God you got married! I'm sure your wife put a stop to that.

This thread has made me want to put jam on chips and see what it tastes like.

I enjoyed myself in my late teens/early twenties, but I'm glad that life (and lifestyle!) is behind me now.
Mr Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes