Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

American Football vs. Soccer

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Who wins?

American Football
10%
Soccer
90%

Total votes : 10

American Football vs. Soccer

Postby StiffUpperLip » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:41 am

Who wins and why?
StiffUpperLip

Postby me123 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:56 pm

I'm not a fan of either, but American Football is too barbaric, so I chose real football.
me123

Postby Stratman » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:12 pm

me123 wrote:I'm not a fan of either, but American Football is too barbaric, so I chose real football.

Rugby it is. :wink:
Stratman

Postby Nervosa » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:21 pm

American football gets on my nerves. It's all for show. Why the hell do they need helmets and padding?! Rugby is ten times more demanding and there's a mouth-guard at best on a Rugby pitch. American football is also far too slowly paced. They scuffle around for a second, everyone falls down, ref blows the whistle, and they have a ten minute break to recover.

Having said that, I used to enjoy playing the Madden games on the Playstation, but that was quicker paced than the real thing.

I definitely prefere playing/watching soccer. And I'd prefere Rugby over soccer. I don't like America sports really, although I've been to about 10 ice hockey matches which were good fun. I've been to a baseball match and almost fell asleep. Baskeball looks so boring and pointless.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Davey Boy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Soccer all the way. I have never understood American football and it doesn't really appeal to me. Like Nervosa I am a fan of ice hockey (go Maple Leafs). :wink:
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Nervosa » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:05 am

Davey Boy wrote:Soccer all the way. I have never understood American football and it doesn't really appeal to me. Like Nervosa I am a fan of ice hockey (go Maple Leafs). :wink:

I actually have two Maple Leafs shirts! (Their home and away one) - have you ever wondered why it's not Maple LEAVES??
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:16 am

I also have a Maple Leafs shirt and a cap which I wear all the time. I have wondered about the term "Leafs" before but I've never bothered to ask anyone who Candian. Do we have anyone who posts from Canada here (or even someone from the USA who might know)? I'm sure someone posts from Ontario...? If not the next time I'm there I will ask them :wink:

Davey Boy

Postby Nervosa » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:19 am

I think there's a couple of Canadian posters and a few USA ones we could ask. I was actually in Toronto last year. Didn't catch a Leaf's game as that was still during the NHL strike. But I did see a Blue Jays baseball game. Wasn't impressed...
Nervosa

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:37 am

Nervosa wrote:I think there's a couple of Canadian posters and a few USA ones we could ask. I was actually in Toronto last year. Didn't catch a Leaf's game as that was still during the NHL strike. But I did see a Blue Jays baseball game. Wasn't impressed...

Never seen anything of baseball... Glorified game of rounders??

Apparently it is near impossible to get Leafs tickets but when I was in Canada I saw a Kitchener Rangers game. They are in the OHL which I think is one league down from the NHL. It was very good, although with an attendance of about 8,000 in an indooor arena the atmosphere wasn't that great. I do like ice hockey alot though.

Davey Boy

Postby StiffUpperLip » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:40 am

Soccer:

1. The World Cup is the second largest global sports event besides the Olympics. It's always a global party in always another nation each cup event. US-Football is mostly a local event.

2. Soccer provides 45 minutes of constant sports action - each game tells a story of two teams fighting for the win. A goal is something special - sometimes the teams fight 90 minutes and beyond to get the goal for their team. US-Football is stop'n'go.
StiffUpperLip

Postby DHP » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:09 pm

Helmet-Rugby is much more fun to watch. However, it loses because us Brits can play sports like real men: without pads and helmets!!!
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:23 pm

I've tried to get into soccer. Really, I have.

Being an American though, it's just not in me.

American football for me!

GO COLTS!!!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:25 pm

Davey Boy wrote:I also have a Maple Leafs shirt and a cap which I wear all the time. I have wondered about the term "Leafs" before but I've never bothered to ask anyone who Candian. Do we have anyone who posts from Canada here (or even someone from the USA who might know)? I'm sure someone posts from Ontario...? If not the next time I'm there I will ask them :wink:

It's because Canookians don't know how to spell! (thusly speaks the American!) :wink:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:37 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Davey Boy wrote:I also have a Maple Leafs shirt and a cap which I wear all the time. I have wondered about the term "Leafs" before but I've never bothered to ask anyone who Candian. Do we have anyone who posts from Canada here (or even someone from the USA who might know)? I'm sure someone posts from Ontario...? If not the next time I'm there I will ask them :wink:

It's because Canookians don't know how to spell! (thusly speaks the American!) :wink:

Ah how could I forget about the love that Americans and Canadians share for each other :wink:

Davey Boy

Postby Nervosa » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:57 pm

Davey Boy wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

Ah how could I forget about the love that Americans and Canadians share for each other :wink:

I remember a drunken night in Canada having the reason for the American-Canadian dislike explained to me. I remember the night, don't remember the reason though!
Nervosa

Postby DHP » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:25 am

Speaking of national pride, I was reflecting the other day on why Britain's better than the US in terms of sports. Recently, the US has hired David Beckham to breathe life into what has been described in an earlier post as the most popular international sport after athletics (measured by their ultimate events) which the US have thus far failed to figure out how to play to a decent standard, spending all their time on helmet-rugby and rounders (sports played by girls and little children over here, respectively). By comparison, the last time Britain hired someone from America to bring new levels of interest to a sport was when the BBC hired John McEnroe to be a commentator. :D

By the way, this post isn't meant to be taken seriously or as a reflection of negative/racist feelings towards America. Just some random amusing thoughts and nothing more.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:50 am

Nervosa wrote:
Davey Boy wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

I remember a drunken night in Canada having the reason for the American-Canadian dislike explained to me. I remember the night, don't remember the reason though!

Truth be told, I'm rather fond of Canada. Except the French Canadians and that's because every encounter I've ever had with them has been unpleasant.

It's just fun to pick on them! :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby JT » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:14 am

I'm an American and soccer is my favorite sport. Soccer in the US is generally derided, but more and more and more kids are playing. I also think the percentage of people who continue their involvment into adulthood is increasing - steadily. Most sports-involved Americans think soccer is boring. Sports journalists make fun of the sport and even use some of the most stupid, neaderthalic rationalizations as to why it is "inferior". Things like being human is all about using our thumbs and index fingers, and any sport that does not feature them is therefor inferior. And many of these are not just in jest!

I read an interesting book, "Soccer and American Exceptionalism" which attempted to explain the reasons why soccer has not "caught on" here.
The US has a wealth of athletic talent. There is a lot I don't like about the sports culture here (the lack of interest in soccer), but it is a very rich sports culture.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:01 pm

For my fellow Americans and those few others who enjoy American football: It's Super Bowl Sunday so

GO COLTS
CatNamedRudy

Postby me123 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:16 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:For my fellow Americans and those few others who enjoy American football: It's Super Bowl Sunday so

GO COLTS

Oh no!!! My friend won't shut up about it!!!!!!!!

It's not that I don't like American Football, it's just that I haven't watched it properly, don't understand it and he never shuts up about it anyway.

Hope you enjoy the game/match/whatever its called.
me123

Postby JT » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:37 pm

Even though soccer is my favorite sport, I do have to give American football it's due, though. Its a great sport. Woven into the fabric of American culture. I especially like college football. Especially a big game. The atmosphere, the sites, the sounds, the smells (hotdogs, barbecues etc.) and yes, the GAME itself.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby jlynn » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:41 am

No no no no no no no no no and NO!!!!!!!! Football every time (not soccer that an american thing!!! all hail, hail the glasgow celtic. Ice Hockey also yes come on Montreal!!!! john
jlynn

Postby JT » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:16 pm

jlynn wrote:No no no no no no no no no and NO!!!!!!!! Football every time (not soccer that an american thing!!! all hail, hail the glasgow celtic. Ice Hockey also yes come on Montreal!!!! john

Actually, as you probably know, the term "soccer" is of English origin. I guess they took the "soc" from association [football] and the "cer" as a suffix. But yes, we Americans call it soccer to differentiate.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes