Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

New Generation Games Consoles

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Which "new generation" games console will you buy/have you bought?

Nintendo Wii
50%
Sony Playstation 3
17%
Microsoft XBox 360
33%

Total votes : 6

New Generation Games Consoles

Postby Davey Boy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:57 am

I was just wondering what the video gamers amongst you thought about the new wave of consoles coming out and which you will buy/already own? I am not sure if I will buy one yet as I don't have much time for video games at the moment and my PS2 is used mainly for DVD's. However my mums partner borrowed his sons Nintendo Wii and I thought it was quite good fun. I plyaed the sports game which comes with it and enjoyed it. I can see that game becoming repetitive with time but if they bring out other titles which make use of the wireless motion detecting controller I may be tempted to invest. I can't say I know that much about the other consoles and their features though.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Nervosa » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:19 am

I own a Playstation 2 and an X-Box, but I haven't regulary played them for about three years. I'm happy enough with what I've got as the graphics are still pretty impressive, so I won't be voting. But if I were going to vote, I'd go for the "X-Box 360." A mate of mine got one for himself and hasn't shut up about it. He wants to marry it or something. So I'd go for that. I don't reckon I'd like the Wii. From the ad on TV, it looks very complicated and difficult to use. I could see myself getting annoyed with the controls very easily. As for the PS 3, I have absolutely no idea about that; I've heard no-one talking about it and haven't seen any ads.

So "X-Box 360" if I were to vote. Actually sod it, I'll vote for that to make the poll more varied.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:19 pm

I've got a Wii, and it's absolutely superb. So much fun, and it's nice because it gets people who normally hate games involved - the simplicity of the controls means it's accessible to everyone regardless of how crap they normally are at games (so it surprises me you think it looks complicated, Nervosa, as it's been specifically designed not to be!). My entire family was playing it over Christmas and New Year, and everyone loved it to bits.

I don't really have any interest in the PS3 or 360 yet - Nintendo's games provide everything I want, to be honest.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Davey Boy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:02 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:I've got a Wii, and it's absolutely superb. So much fun, and it's nice because it gets people who normally hate games involved - the simplicity of the controls means it's accessible to everyone regardless of how crap they normally are at games (so it surprises me you think it looks complicated, Nervosa, as it's been specifically designed not to be!). My entire family was playing it over Christmas and New Year, and everyone loved it to bits.

I don't really have any interest in the PS3 or 360 yet - Nintendo's games provide everything I want, to be honest.

What games do you have BA?
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Nervosa » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:03 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:I've got a Wii, and it's absolutely superb. So much fun, and it's nice because it gets people who normally hate games involved - the simplicity of the controls means it's accessible to everyone regardless of how crap they normally are at games (so it surprises me you think it looks complicated, Nervosa, as it's been specifically designed not to be!). My entire family was playing it over Christmas and New Year, and everyone loved it to bits.

I think the over-simplicity of the controller seems to look like it would be hard to use if you see what I mean? I've no idea, I haven't played it. But it looks like it could be hard to use eg. you need to turn around and shoot someone...I'd end up throwing the thing to the floor if a simple move like turning around is difficult. But like I say, I've never played it, and you say it's easy and fun to use, so I'm already fighting up-hill! :lol:
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:07 pm

Nervosa wrote:I think the over-simplicity of the controller seems to look like it would be hard to use if you see what I mean? I've no idea, I haven't played it. But it looks like it could be hard to use eg. you need to turn around and shoot someone...I'd end up throwing the thing to the floor if a simple move like turning around is difficult. But like I say, I've never played it, and you say it's easy and fun to use, so I'm already fighting up-hill! :lol:

Heheh, nope, you don't need to turn around or anything! You just do small hand movements, the controller is amazingly accurate! There's a normal analogue stick bit for doing all the turning around. I think it's the kind of thing you need to just use for a few minutes - every single person I know who's tried it has fallen in love with it! Seems to be the same everywhere if sales are anything to go by!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:08 pm

Davey Boy wrote:What games do you have BA?

Wii Sports (amazing fun, great multiplayer!), Wii Play (limited but still good) and Zelda (incredible).

May be getting Wario Ware tomorrow if I can spare the cash!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Nervosa » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:10 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Nervosa wrote:I think the over-simplicity of the controller seems to look like it would be hard to use if you see what I mean? I've no idea, I haven't played it. But it looks like it could be hard to use eg. you need to turn around and shoot someone...I'd end up throwing the thing to the floor if a simple move like turning around is difficult. But like I say, I've never played it, and you say it's easy and fun to use, so I'm already fighting up-hill! :lol:

Heheh, nope, you don't need to turn around or anything! You just do small hand movements, the controller is amazingly accurate! There's a normal analogue stick bit for doing all the turning around. I think it's the kind of thing you need to just use for a few minutes - every single person I know who's tried it has fallen in love with it! Seems to be the same everywhere if sales are anything to go by!

That was my main concern; accuracy. I didn't know there was an analogue stick on it, so that'd make it a lot easier. I'm sure I'd pick it up in no time, I usually get the hand of games/consols within a few seconds.
Nervosa

Postby welshben23 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:13 pm

I own a Wii and a 360, and I agree with everything BA says about the Wii on this page. I'm disabled and can't stand up without crutches and thought that the Wii would be difficult to use, but the controller is so easy to use, its awesome, I havent played the 360 since the 23rd of January as the gameplay on the Wii is so much better. I have no interest in the PS3 eventhough I owned the PS1, PS2 and PSP.
welshben23

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:33 pm

welshben23 wrote:I own a Wii and a 360, and I agree with everything BA says about the Wii on this page. I'm disabled and can't stand up without crutches and thought that the Wii would be difficult to use, but the controller is so easy to use, its awesome

My brother is disabled and I was a bit worried he wouldn't be able to use it - but he thrashes me at tennis and bowling!
Bad Ambassador

Postby welshben23 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Whats your highest score in Bowling BA? How far have you got with Zelda?
welshben23

Postby Amber » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:47 pm

None. My PS2 is quite good enough for me now and I should think I would upgrade for another 5 or so years ;)
Huge Frasier/Beatles fan ^_^

Martin: Daphne, I just thought of something funny - it took 3 Cranes to lift you!
Hungry Heart - After Daphne is helped up by Niles, Frasier and Martin.
Amber

Postby me123 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:59 am

I intend to buy the PS3 in a while to play the new GTA game (I like them) but I'll wait 'till it's a more reasonable price. For pure novelty value, I really want a Wii, so that's what I voted for.

I will not buy an X-Box 360 because I just can't use those controls, being a PS man all my life.
me123

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:40 pm

welshben23 wrote: How far have you got with Zelda?

My original plan was to play it to death over Christmas, but with everyone wanting to play Wii Sports all the time I didn't get the chance. So I'm only now starting to get stuck in properly. And I'm loving every second! It's a beautiful game, and proof that the Wii's relatively low power just isn't an issue.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Nervosa » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:05 pm

me123 wrote:I intend to buy the PS3 in a while to play the new GTA game (I like them) but I'll wait 'till it's a more reasonable price. For pure novelty value, I really want a Wii, so that's what I voted for.

I will not buy an X-Box 360 because I just can't use those controls, being a PS man all my life.

What's the new GTA game? I think Vice City has been the best in the series so far. San Andreas was bigger, but I think Vice City was more cosy. San Andreas comes up trumps with vechicles though (the fighter jet etc..).
Nervosa

Postby me123 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:41 pm

It's just called GTA IV just now, but it's rumoured to be set in europe. It's got a release date (October 16th 07) for the PS3 and x-box 360, but that's all they're saying just now.
me123

Postby DHP » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:08 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:I don't really have any interest in the PS3 or 360 yet - Nintendo's games provide everything I want, to be honest.

I used to own a PS2 and Gamecube, and to be honest, I've always found Nintendo's games a hell of a lot more fun. The only games that are up there with Nintendo's for innovation, quality and gameplay are the GTA series for me, and this is from someone who also invested heavily in the Gran Turismo, Tekken, Final Fantasy and MGS franchises, among others.

There's simply no game on the other consoles that's as much pure fun as MarioKart or as addictive as Zelda (Ocarina of Time is still rated by most multi-platform critics as the best game ever made), and GoldenEye on the N64 is just a kick-ass multiplayer shooter by any standard!
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Stratman » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:10 pm

GoldenEye would be a heck of a lot better if everybody was given a mouse and keyboard. FPS just doesn't work on a console, IMHO.
Stratman

Postby me123 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:12 pm

DHP wrote:I used to own a PS2 and Gamecube, and to be honest, I've always found Nintendo's games a hell of a lot more fun. The only games that are up there with Nintendo's for innovation, quality and gameplay are the GTA series for me, and this is from someone who also invested heavily in the Gran Turismo, Tekken, Final Fantasy and MGS franchises, among others.

There's simply no game on the other consoles that's as much pure fun as MarioKart or as addictive as Zelda (Ocarina of Time is still rated by most multi-platform critics as the best game ever made), and GoldenEye on the N64 is just a kick-ass multiplayer shooter by any standard!

Zelda is a great game, one I would like to play more modern versions of. And goldeneye is a wonderful game for the N64: it was way ahead of its time!

I am personally surprised that you don;t rate Gran Turisimo highly; it certainly the best (serious) racing game in my honest opinion, but that of course is down to personal taste.
me123

Postby DHP » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:20 pm

GT3 was easily the first real must-have game on the PS2 after a year on the market where there was nothing but mediocrity on the market while producers struggled to make Sony's hardware work with their games to the fullest potential. It's a fine game to be sure, and I'd agree it's one of the best games available, along with GT4. I'm talking about fun though, and for me it lost that element after I'd played it for a few weeks. Still a decent multiplayer though, but Nintendo games retain that element of playability a lot longer for me.

And everyone agrees GTA was the best thing to happen to the PS2. That's an example of the lifespan and the degree of pure (sometimes guilty) fun that couldn't be had on any of the many other games I played on that console, but which existed by the bucketload on Nintendo's consoles. I've always found Nintendo to be better at making games. They just suffer from a "childish" stereotype, but from the looks of things, the Wii might just put them back up there with the big boys. And the new Zelda looks AMAZING!!!
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:53 pm

Stratman wrote:GoldenEye would be a heck of a lot better if everybody was given a mouse and keyboard. FPS just doesn't work on a console, IMHO.

Yet something else we'll have to disagree on! :lol: Keyboard and mouse combination is the work of the devil. GoldenEye and Metroid Prime are the only two FP games I've bothered to play for more than about an hour, because I found the controls so natural.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:55 pm

DHP wrote:I used to own a PS2 and Gamecube, and to be honest, I've always found Nintendo's games a hell of a lot more fun. The only games that are up there with Nintendo's for innovation, quality and gameplay are the GTA series for me

I agree, actually. The GTA games may be completely different to Nintendo's stuff thematically, but they're incredibly well structured and designed.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Nervosa » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:57 pm

In our common room, there's a beaten up old Nintendo 64, with Mariokart and Tomorrow Never Dies constantly being played. I thought they both sucked. With regards to graphics, they aren't anywhere near as impressive as the X-Box of PS2. Given the N64 is old, but I've found this with any Nintendo I've played.

Incidentally, did you know the Nintendo company started up over 100 years ago and originally manufactured playing cards?! :D

I don't have any experience with the newer Nintendos such as the Wii, but I think I'd much prefere a new X-Box 360 if given the choice.
Nervosa

Postby me123 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:04 am

Stratman wrote:GoldenEye would be a heck of a lot better if everybody was given a mouse and keyboard. FPS just doesn't work on a console, IMHO.

I was playing "Medal of Honour" today on my PC, and thought that it would be hideous on a console!
me123

Postby Nervosa » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:15 am

me123 wrote:I was playing "Medal of Honour" today on my PC, and thought that it would be hideous on a console!

Oh it isn't. All of the series has been pretty good to date.
Nervosa

Next

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes